365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Garmin HR Monitor issue

+2
ounce
Tim C
6 posters

Go down

Garmin HR Monitor issue Empty Garmin HR Monitor issue

Post  Tim C Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:56 am

So I picked up a new Garmin 220 a few weeks back and I love it.  However the strap that came with it has a sharp edge and put a hole in my chest.  I had read about how people pull the sending unit off and put it on a Polar HR strap as the holes line up.  I have tried this now for several runs and every time it works fine for a mile or 2 and then loses the reading completely.  I've tried tightening / loosening the strap.  I wet the pickup points - nothing works.  Put the sending unit back on the Garmin strap and it works perfectly - except that it cuts me.  This really makes no sense but am wondering if any of you have any suggestions.  I'd really like to wear the monitor next week for my marathon but I would be a bloody mess with the Garmin strap and it's a waste to wear the Polar one if it won't get any readings after the first 2 miles.
Tim C
Tim C
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Garmin HR Monitor issue Empty Re: Garmin HR Monitor issue

Post  ounce Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:45 am

I have not had that issue.  I have had a chafing issue on the right side, where the hook goes into the hole, but I think it's caused by it being a little tight.

Presuming that you have snipped any sharp edges or buffed smooth any rough edges, how about putting some duct tape around the area that punches a hole in your chest?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:44 am

If you have another Garmin HR strap you can sync it with the new device.  If not, I'd go with Ounce's suggestion.  If you can't duct it, .............well, you know the rest.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:04 pm

lol! Is it too late to call a lawyer?
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:04 pm

mul21 wrote:If you have another Garmin HR strap you can sync it with the new device.  If not, I'd go with Ounce's suggestion.  If you can't duct it, .............well, you know the rest.

I agree with Jim and either use or purchase an older version of the strap.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Coleman Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:27 am

The obvious answer: if it cuts you, it's not fit for purpose and you should send it back for replacement. Garmin customer service has always been good. Of course, you'll have to follow one of the other suggestions until the marathon is behind you.
Chris Coleman
Chris Coleman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down