365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why Runners Can't Eat Whatever They Want

5 posters

Go down

Why Runners Can't Eat Whatever They Want Empty Why Runners Can't Eat Whatever They Want

Post  JohnP Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:34 pm

This is a really good article - for years I felt I could eat whatever I wanted since my mileage is around 50 miles per week. But in the past 3-4 years, I've noticed my cholesterol starting to creep up. Even though it's low by our American average, it's still rising.

http://online.wsj.com/news/article_email/SB10001424052702303949704579461381883678174-lMyQjAxMTA0MDEwMjExNDIyWj
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Why Runners Can't Eat Whatever They Want Empty Re: Why Runners Can't Eat Whatever They Want

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:43 pm

Thanks for the article, John.  See you soon.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Why Runners Can't Eat Whatever They Want Empty Re: Why Runners Can't Eat Whatever They Want

Post  Schuey Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:49 pm

John, there is so much information that I can share with you about sports nutrition. I have learned so much in the short time since starting to study for my sports nutrition certification. It has been really eye opening and interesting, one of the biggest things things that I have learned is that there is a lot of not so great advise out there (especially on websites and even in running magazines). It is safe to say that I have been quiet surprised.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:40 pm

Schuey wrote:John, there is so much information that I can share with you about sports nutrition. I have learned so much in the short time since starting to study for my sports nutrition certification. It has been really eye opening and interesting, one of the biggest things things that I have learned is that there is a lot of not so great advise out there (especially on websites and even in running magazines). It is safe to say that I have been quiet surprised.
 Info that I would love to know - maybe you should pick me up and drive me to Boston with you.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:40 am

One shocking thing that I learned about myself is that my body doesn't need a lot of protein on a daily basis when I was training for the marathon.  I learned I could eat 40 grams of protein daily and that was plenty for what my body needed to rebuild muscles.  The only time I needed more than 40 grams was when I had a long run 20 miles or greater.  Then, I just needed an additional 15 grams.

Any excess protein is converted to sugar and, if not used, converted to fat.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:21 am

Notice that the studies were only done on men - and not knowing what most of you eat, but taking an informal survey of some running friends this morning, I found that our diets were drastically different.  My diet is far from perfect, but it was interesting that most of the women in the group at more fruits and veggies than the guys and we ate out less.  That might be a factor of our jobs as none of the women traveled much although we had a teacher, lawyer, and engineer in the group.  However, the guy that is a PE teacher and coach probably ate the highest amount of fast food in the group and many of them were floored to know that I cook for myself most every night.  

I have heart murmur and weird cholesterol (extremely high good and low bad) and I would like to have this type of info to see how it supports or doens't support the hypothesis in the article.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:29 pm

Genetics play a much larger role than is believed AND our genes are not set in stone.  They are changeable.

The question as to what's really good, bad or either/or will never be accurately answered in our lifetime.

What's good for Michele is not necessarily good for me.  She's blessed with seemingly excellent markers for what is considered good HDL and LDL numbers and a natural 180 spm pace.    Mad 

I fear you will continue to see the medical community attempting to put square pegs in round holes and not be willing to accept the bell curve is not as wide, nor tall as they think.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:16 pm

ounce wrote:Any excess protein is converted to sugar and, if not used, converted to fat.

Basically, what happens to the protein you eat depends on what else you eat, and how much of it--not on some numerical limit on how much protein your body can handle. 

Technically speaking, your body doesn't "burn" protein, glucose, OR fat as energy. The energy your cells actually use comes from breaking the chemical bonds of a molecule called ATP, which happens during something known as the "Krebs cycle" that takes place at the cellular level, in the mitochondria of your cells. Your body can use all 3 dietary macronutrients, fat, protein, and carbohyrdates, to generate ATP molecules, so it really doesn't make much practical sense to think in terms of whether your body turns protein into glucose, or into fat, etc. 

"You really are what you eat. It is well established that if you eat to much fat and calories you will tend to increase your stores of body fat; in other words, get fat. This is mainly because dietary fats tend to be more easily stored as fat than carbohydrates or proteins. However, scientists have determined that the kind of fat you eat can effect the composition of your body at cellular level. 

Fats are made up of glycerol molecule and three fatty acid chains. The fatty acid chains can vary in length and molecular structure. You probably are familiar with the terms short, medium, and long chain fatty acids, and saturated and unsaturated fatty acids. Fatty acids are an essential part of all cellular membranes. Fatty acid content  of the body varies greatly and is dependent on your diet. For example, individuals that eat a higher amount of essential fatty acids (Linoleic and Linolenic acids), mostly from vegetable fat sources, tend to have higher amounts of these more desirable fatty acids as structural components of their cell membranes and fat stores. Individuals eating diets high in saturated fats, low in essential fatty acids, and high in excess calories, tend to have a lower % of their body composed of essential fatty acids. 

The significance of this is that people with more of their body composed of essential fatty acids may be less prone to degenerative diseases. Additionally, tissues higher in essential fatty acids are healthier, particularly the skin. Most athletes take this for granted. They wrongly assume that because they are in shape and burning a lot of calories, the bad fatty acids and cholesterol are of no consequence to them. Therefore, ignore the several books on sports nutrition in which the authors promote the consumption of high-fat fast foods. You might not get fat eating them while you're athlete, but years down the road, your cardiovascular system will fall apart from the nutritional abuse." 
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:13 pm

Schuey wrote:
ounce wrote:Any excess protein is converted to sugar and, if not used, converted to fat.

Basically, what happens to the protein you eat depends on what else you eat, and how much of it--not on some numerical limit on how much protein your body can handle. 

Technically speaking, your body doesn't "burn" protein, glucose, OR fat as energy. The energy your cells actually use comes from breaking the chemical bonds of a molecule called ATP, which happens during something known as the "Krebs cycle" that takes place at the cellular level, in the mitochondria of your cells. Your body can use all 3 dietary macronutrients, fat, protein, and carbohyrdates, to generate ATP molecules, so it really doesn't make much practical sense to think in terms of whether your body turns protein into glucose, or into fat, etc. 

"You really are what you eat. It is well established that if you eat to much fat and calories you will tend to increase your stores of body fat; in other words, get fat. This is mainly because dietary fats tend to be more easily stored as fat than carbohydrates or proteins. However, scientists have determined that the kind of fat you eat can effect the composition of your body at cellular level. 

Fats are made up of glycerol molecule and three fatty acid chains. The fatty acid chains can vary in length and molecular structure. You probably are familiar with the terms short, medium, and long chain fatty acids, and saturated and unsaturated fatty acids. Fatty acids are an essential part of all cellular membranes. Fatty acid content  of the body varies greatly and is dependent on your diet. For example, individuals that eat a higher amount of essential fatty acids (Linoleic and Linolenic acids), mostly from vegetable fat sources, tend to have higher amounts of these more desirable fatty acids as structural components of their cell membranes and fat stores. Individuals eating diets high in saturated fats, low in essential fatty acids, and high in excess calories, tend to have a lower % of their body composed of essential fatty acids. 

The significance of this is that people with more of their body composed of essential fatty acids may be less prone to degenerative diseases. Additionally, tissues higher in essential fatty acids are healthier, particularly the skin. Most athletes take this for granted. They wrongly assume that because they are in shape and burning a lot of calories, the bad fatty acids and cholesterol are of no consequence to them. Therefore, ignore the several books on sports nutrition in which the authors promote the consumption of high-fat fast foods. You might not get fat eating them while you're athlete, but years down the road, your cardiovascular system will fall apart from the nutritional abuse." 
Essentially the last paragraph sums up exactly what Dave McGillvary experienced.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:41 pm

But a low carb/high fat diet is probably not what Dave did.  He figured he could eat anything, I believe was the quote paraphrased. 

And you can't just lump everybody that does LC/HF and say that having a high LDL is bad.  LDL is made up of two different particles, the big fluffy particales and the small, pellet particles.  A high LDL with a high percentage (80% or greater is thought to be the point) of big, fluffy particles is advantageous.  The small particles go through the vessel walls into the body.

Besides, the LDL figure is backed-into, which is why it says "LDL-C".  They count the HDL, triglycerides, total cholesterol and VLDL.  The difference between the total minus the HDL, tri's and VLDL is the LDL.

There's a South African doctor, Tim Noakes, who has genetic diabetes and has to be low carb.  Noakes has written a few books on the matter.

One can get a CT scan called a Slice 64, I think, that takes pictures of 64 slices of the heart to see what the plaque level in the cardiac vessels looks like.

Time will tell.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:05 pm

Catching back up...Thanks for the article John!!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down