365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Running form question - feet or quads?

3 posters

Go down

Running form question - feet or quads? Empty Running form question - feet or quads?

Post  dot520 Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:55 am

During a 10k last weekend, I started to think about my form (not the first time, of course) and realized that for the most part I am leading with my feet.  That's not very efficient, I don't think.  When I was a Racewalker, you lead with your quad and everything follows suit.  I tried to consciously do that last weekend and my quads were feeling it on Monday but i believe my pace improved some.  What do you guys do or do you just run and not think about it?

Is winter just getting to me or is this a viable question?
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Running form question - feet or quads? Empty Re: Running form question - feet or quads?

Post  Dave Wolfe Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:45 pm

I generally just run, been at it too long to care much. About 10% of the time I will consciously focus on form during an easy run.  I suppose if I consciously focused more my form would improve so that it was just natural when I ran.
Dave Wolfe
Dave Wolfe
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Running form question - feet or quads? Empty Re: Running form question - feet or quads?

Post  Chris Coleman Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:36 pm

I never gave that particular aspect of form any thought, but I certainly will now. My guess, and it's only a guess, is that  a technique change that improves your pace is probably worth adopting if the only adverse effect is soreness. I have found that muscles tend to adapt to what is demanded of them.

As for the question's viability, I feel it's time runners got a lot more like triathletes and started being more geekish.
Chris Coleman
Chris Coleman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down