365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just joined a fitness center for winter running - tips/warnings?

+2
Julie
charles.moman
6 posters

Go down

Just joined a fitness center for winter running - tips/warnings? Empty Just joined a fitness center for winter running - tips/warnings?

Post  charles.moman Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:31 am

I don't mind running in the cold, but ice is a different situation.
So . . . I am doing a free 30-day trial at our local Snap Fitness.
I will probably keep a membership through the winter months up to the Indiana Trail 100.
I still will go out on trails, especially for long long runs - weather permitting.
The refuge and forestry are great, but they are also great places to get your car stuck if you are not careful.

Snap has all of the standard equipment - none of which I have used before.
I was just there for an hour and this time I was on a spin bike for 45 minutes, then a treadmill for 15.
Now I will do my 1 hour DVD workout with Jillian Michaels and then this afternoon go back and do 7-8 miles on the TM.

What else do you think I should do there that will make me a stronger runner - not faster - but more endurance.
I rarely go under 12-minute miles when doing 50ks & beyond - I just wouldn't last.
I did raise the angle of the TM and I do like that it forces me to keep going at the speed I have set.
When alone out there on the roads or trails, it is SO easy to not force myself to stay steady.
Weight machines? Elliptical?

Just amy advice that will help a gym novice who does not want to hurt himself or become a huge muscle man! : )
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

http://www.charlesmoman.com

Back to top Go down

Just joined a fitness center for winter running - tips/warnings? Empty Re: Just joined a fitness center for winter running - tips/warnings?

Post  Julie Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:35 am

I'm not sure but what 1 hr Jillian dvd do you have? I just have the 30 day shred. Someone else will know more than I do. Sounds like a great opportunity to correct any muscle imbalances you might have.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Just joined a fitness center for winter running - tips/warnings? Empty Re: Just joined a fitness center for winter running - tips/warnings?

Post  charles.moman Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:41 am

That is what I have the - the 30-day shred.
Right now, I do level 1, followed immediately by level 2.
Then I have the old 8-minutes abs video with another short Jillian abs routine added to it.
All of that gets pretty close to an hour.
The 30-day shred is not PX90 or Insanity, but it is a workout for me.

I used it in the summer of 2010 when I retired and it took me forever to get to level 3.
I stopped doing it and am now doing it almost every single day at least once - sometimes twice.
I need a stronger core than I had last year at the Indiana Trail 100.

I also have a Bob Harper strength video that is really hard for me.
I will start back on that after Christmas - a really tough hour workout - at least for me.
I am guessing Tim and Wendy would laugh at it ! ! !
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:59 am

I would look to see if they have a yoga class.  That helps your core, your ankles, and your balance.  I do it once a week, but some do it every day. 
Do some rowing for 1,000 meters.  Nothing intense, just doing the motion.  That'll help your back and shoulders.
A strong core might just keep you upright, if a root jumps out and grabs your shoe.
Lay on your back  and do leg lifts.  Start with one leg on the ground and lift the other, then alternate.  Work up to 4 sets of 20 with a minute in between each set.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Coleman Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:14 pm

The only thing I might take issue with is the way you use the treadmill. I suspect you are setting the speed and using slope to adjust effort. That way, your legs are repeating exactly the same movement step after step, and this can lead to over-use injury. If you take the simple alternative of varying the speed instead, you are much less likely to get injured.
Chris Coleman
Chris Coleman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:28 pm

Good point and that is what I do.
Since I do run/walk intervals on my runs, I was changing speed now and then.
I will check out the programs too and see if any will work well for me.
I will miss the changing terrain from the trails, which helps with keeping my feet from doing the same thing over and over.
I still plan on getting on the trails/dirt roads for my longer runs each week.
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:27 pm

If there is an indoor track, you can mix it up with the dreadmill to get in mileage.  That is what I get forced to do sometimes when the ice is unbearable.  If there is a pool, try some swimming and if there are spin classes, try that as well.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:32 pm

My Gym is too small. The only thing I like to do besides TM is pullup there.    cheers
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:03 pm

This is smallish too. No pool, no rowing machine, no spin classes.
There are some yoga and workout classes.
I am in a 30-day trial - so I will also check out another place in town.

I may use some of the weight machines too - after someone shows me how to not hurt myself.
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down