365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The "In Between"

+11
JohnP
Seth Harrison
nkrichards
Jerry
John Kilpatrick
Michele "1L" Keane
Dave P
Julie
ounce
Mark B
Nick Morris
15 posters

Page 3 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

The "In Between" - Page 3 Empty Re: The "In Between"

Post  Nick Morris Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:46 am

John Kilpatrick wrote:Running below 30 sucks - I try not too.  Of course, it rarely gets that cold here - I have actually had to defrost my car windows the last couple of days - of course it is around 65-70 in the afternoons Smile

I bet 30 feels like 0 for you. I wish it was 60 during the winter months...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:53 am

A running blog to "collect my thoughts"?

That sounds like a Kenny blog. affraid
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:47 pm

What will you be doing in the DR?

The cold is tough...I liked that article  Michele posted about it being more difficult.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:02 am

Jerry wrote:A running blog to "collect my thoughts"?

That sounds like a Kenny blog. affraid

Maybe...maybe not...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:04 am

Julie wrote:What will you be doing in the DR?

The cold is tough...I liked that article  Michele posted about it being more difficult.

For the most part, I am just going to relax with a nice cold drink, while enjoying the sun and beach Smile

As for the cold, it is almost gone. It was much better than whatever bug I had a few weeks ago!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:06 am

After taking a couple days off, my legs feel refreshed and energized. That means its time to head to the gym this evening to get some more miles in Smile After Friday, I am off from work until after the new year. That means that next week will see me getting to run outside a lot during the mid week!! Yay!!

Maybe I will run the Arboretum and get to post some great turkey photos again Smile
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:32 pm

That is if there isn't too much snow......  Have a good break, Nick.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:03 pm

I got in a good three miles at the gym last night. I am so itching for next week and the chance to run outside!! 8 miles on Sunday is the only planned run as of right now. Of course, there is a chance for many inches of snow on Sunday, so that should be fun.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:54 pm

Stopped in to say 'hello' and not surprised to see that you're still running and blogging...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:16 pm

I'm happy to join in on complaining about the cold and snow. I've about had it with winter (oh wait, it's still fall). After getting the green light to start running again after about a 7 week layoff, conditions have forced me on the treadmill. Probably for the best for now though. My shoulder surgeon told me I can run, but said in no uncertain terms that I had better not fall (and undo the repairs he did in surgery). Still, I'll look for the first opportunity to get in some outdoor miles. A trip to the D.R. sounds pretty great Nick.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:20 pm

Seth Harrison wrote:I'm happy to join in on complaining about the cold and snow. I've about had it with winter (oh wait, it's still fall). After getting the green light to start running again after about a 7 week layoff, conditions have forced me on the treadmill. Probably for the best for now though. My shoulder surgeon told me I can run, but said in no uncertain terms that I had better not fall (and undo the repairs he did in surgery). Still, I'll look for the first opportunity to get in some outdoor miles. A trip to the D.R. sounds pretty great Nick.

Tell me about it Seth...the 8+ miles I ran today was not as fun as a run in 70 degree weather would have been...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:21 pm

nkrichards wrote:Stopped in to say 'hello' and not surprised to see that you're still running and blogging...

Hi Nancy!! Hope all is well with you!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:31 pm

So, the megastorm that they had been predicting for us did not dump as much snow as they originally thought. We ended up with around six inches of the white death and it made today's 8 mile run interesting. We did head out until noon, hoping that some of the sidewalks, trails, and streets would get cleared off. Unfortunately most did not...at times we had half mile stretches of shin deep snow to run through. And then the other times we were running on not so great footing. But we slowed it down and got the run in. A total of 8.43 miles at an 8:41 pace. The slowest that I have ran in a long time, but I know I put in a 7:30 pace effort. Tomorrow, I am going to get in a five miler...hopefully the footing will be better.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:47 pm

Nick Morris wrote:So, the megastorm that they had been predicting for us did not dump as much snow as they originally thought.  We ended up with around six inches of the white death and it made today's 8 mile run interesting.  We did head out until noon, hoping that some of the sidewalks, trails, and streets would get cleared off.  Unfortunately most did not...at times we had half mile stretches of shin deep snow to run through.  And then the other times we were running on not so great footing.  But we slowed it down and got the run in.  A total of 8.43 miles at an 8:41 pace.  The slowest that I have ran in a long time, but I know I put in a 7:30 pace effort.  Tomorrow, I am going to get in a five miler...hopefully the footing will be better.

I know it's because it'd be a novelty to me, but that run sounds kinda fun. Smile
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:55 pm

Mark B wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:So, the megastorm that they had been predicting for us did not dump as much snow as they originally thought.  We ended up with around six inches of the white death and it made today's 8 mile run interesting.  We did head out until noon, hoping that some of the sidewalks, trails, and streets would get cleared off.  Unfortunately most did not...at times we had half mile stretches of shin deep snow to run through.  And then the other times we were running on not so great footing.  But we slowed it down and got the run in.  A total of 8.43 miles at an 8:41 pace.  The slowest that I have ran in a long time, but I know I put in a 7:30 pace effort.  Tomorrow, I am going to get in a five miler...hopefully the footing will be better.

I know it's because it'd be a novelty to me, but that run sounds kinda fun. Smile

Actually it was kind of fun, but hate winter and like to run fast Smile
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:23 pm

Why don't you ski instead? I just read Lydiard's Running to the top. He said in the book ski was the only better aerobic training than running.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:02 am

Jerry wrote:Why don't you ski instead? I just read Lydiard's Running to the top. He said in the book ski was the only better aerobic training than running.

Cross-country skis probably would have helped...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:06 am

So, of course we got a light dusting of snow last not. Just enough to put a slippery coating on top of the plowed snow. As a result, the pace was slowed. Faster than yesterday, but still slow. I got in the cold 5.23 miles at an 8:15 pace. Oh we'll just maintenance miles anyways and the effort is pretty high.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:24 pm

So, after a couple days Christmas visit at the rents, I am back home in Madison. I got in a good workout at the gym and am going to back to running tomorrow morning. Three days in a row scheduled for the weekend.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:26 am

Nick, Have you given much thought to your plans for next year (based off the first post to your blog)? I assume you are going to go all out for Boston. I know some coaches say to avoid several marathons in a year as it burns the body out. Are you going to go for a spring and/or fall marathon? I think both would be too many plus it would get your body in the rut of marathon training. Just curious what you are thinking.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:35 am

I don't know what Nick is planning, but I think he should target a flat and fast marathon this spring to improve his BQ time as much as possible and then just run a half in the fall on slightly reduced from marathon training mileage, with maybe a little more speed work than he's used to doing.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:47 am

mul21 wrote:I don't know what Nick is planning, but I think he should target a flat and fast marathon this spring to improve his BQ time as much as possible and then just run a half in the fall on slightly reduced from marathon training mileage, with maybe a little more speed work than he's used to doing.

Nick is just lazy.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:57 pm

Jerry wrote:
mul21 wrote:I don't know what Nick is planning, but I think he should target a flat and fast marathon this spring to improve his BQ time as much as possible and then just run a half in the fall on slightly reduced from marathon training mileage, with maybe a little more speed work than he's used to doing.

Nick is just lazy.

Hahaha...you wish Jerry...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:04 pm

JohnP wrote:Nick, Have you given much thought to your plans for next year (based off the first post to your blog)? I assume you are going to go all out for Boston. I know some coaches say to avoid several marathons in a year as it burns the body out. Are you going to go for a spring and/or fall marathon? I think both would be too many plus it would get your body in the rut of marathon training. Just curious what you are thinking.

I think that I am going to roll the dice with my BQ time. If I don't get in on time, then I will get in through charity.

As of now, my plan is to maintain fitness and control my weight. Then train this summer for a flat fast marathon in the fall...maybe Chicago. Then if the training goes well maybe shoot for the illustrious sub 3:00:00 marathon. If the weather or training is not fully there I will shoot for a 3:05:00 and BQ for 2016 (my 2016 BQ time is 3:10:00).

Although, all that could change if I am feeling good in February Smile
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:09 pm

Yesterday was a nice day for a winter run. The temperature was in the mid 30s at 9am when we headed out for our 8 miles. The mild temps on Friday and Friday night helped clear off most of the sidewalks and streets. It was warm enough that I didn't have to wear my jacket or hat. Footing was the best that it has been in almost a month and the times showed that. We ran a total of 8.72 miles at an 8:01 pace.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum