365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Flu shot

+8
Mark B
ounce
Mrs. Schuey
Julie
Jerry
mountandog
Nick Morris
nkrichards
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Flu shot Empty Flu shot

Post  nkrichards Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:06 pm

I've been encouraged to have a flu shot.  One set of grandkids is in elementary school and brings everything home.  The other grandchild is still an infant and with my Dad's heart surgery scheduled the doctor wants to try and prevent me from spreading anything around.

When should I have it?  My marathon is Nov 3rd.  Should I do it now?  I guess I could argue and wait till after the marathon but not sure that's a good option.

Suggestions?
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Flu shot Empty Re: Flu shot

Post  Nick Morris Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:33 pm

nkrichards wrote:I've been encouraged to have a flu shot.  One set of grandkids is in elementary school and brings everything home.  The other grandchild is still an infant and with my Dad's heart surgery scheduled the doctor wants to try and prevent me from spreading anything around.

When should I have it?  My marathon is Nov 3rd.  Should I do it now?  I guess I could argue and wait till after the marathon but not sure that's a good option.

Suggestions?
I am sort of a hypochondriac and haven't gotten a flu shot in many years.  I know that the virus in the shot is dead and that you will not get the flu from it, but I don't want my immune system weakened by the shot and then I end up getting some other bug.pale pale   If it was me, I would wait until after your marathon...but that is just me Smile
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:38 pm

I took my flu shot last yr one week before Ridge to Bridge.  Have taken one every year.  No complications, no flu!!  get your shot.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:43 pm

lol! I had flu shot Sept 9, then got high on 2 weeks later and ran 17,20 and 21 from Sept 21 to 23.

Now I am really tired.

Hope it helps.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:09 pm

influenza doesn't come out until later so you're fine to wait. however, you risk there not being vaccines available. Definitely get one with the infant and surgery in your family. I don't think it would hurt to get it now. I'm getting mine this week but I'm required for work but I'll have my husband and daughter get it too because of the babies and my daughter is still young enough to be in the high risk group for high fevers, etc. My husband got it last year and was so ill with his fever and my daughter and I got the vaccine and didn't get it. Glad because I was already out the entire month of January with all day hyperemesis gravidarum.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:10 pm

Nick Morris wrote:
nkrichards wrote:I've been encouraged to have a flu shot.  One set of grandkids is in elementary school and brings everything home.  The other grandchild is still an infant and with my Dad's heart surgery scheduled the doctor wants to try and prevent me from spreading anything around.

Suggestions?
I am sort of a hypochondriac and haven't gotten a flu shot in many years.  I know that the virus in the shot is dead and that you will not get the flu from it, but I don't want my immune system weakened by the shot and then I end up getting some other bug.pale pale   If it was me, I would wait until after your marathon...but that is just me Smile
your feelings are not supported by data.  As a runner you know that data speaks volume.  Get your flu shot ding dong.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:16 pm

mountandog wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:

Suggestions?
your feelings are not supported by data.  As a runner you know that data speaks volume.  Get your flu shot ding dong.
Agreed!
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:17 pm

Julie wrote:influenza doesn't come out until later so you're fine to wait. however, you risk there not being vaccines available. Definitely get one with the infant and surgery in your family. I don't think it would hurt to get it now. I'm getting mine this week but I'm required for work but I'll have my husband and daughter get it too because of the babies and my daughter is still young enough to be in the high risk group for high fevers, etc. My husband got it last year and was so ill with his fever and my daughter and I got the vaccine and didn't get it. Glad because I was already out the entire month of January with all day hyperemesis gravidarum.
get it now.  Michigan already has two reported cases of the flu.  It may not be the high season yet, but its out there.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:22 pm

Mrs. Schuey wrote:
mountandog wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:

Suggestions?
Agreed!
I have only gotten two flu shots in my entire life.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:24 pm

Nick Morris wrote:
Mrs. Schuey wrote:
mountandog wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:

Suggestions?
Agreed!
I have only gotten two flu shots in my entire life.
Exactly, besides you are a different breed
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:25 pm

No, wrong, I am a different breed.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:26 pm

But I would take it after the race.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:27 pm

It takes 2 weeks for the vaccine to become effective.  I'd get it now because you might be down a bit for a day or two, but you'll be back at it before you taper.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:29 pm

Jerry wrote:No, wrong, I am a different breed.
You are definitely something...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:30 pm

Nancy - Have you gotten a flu shot before?  How did you react to it if you have?  If you were ok then, you should be ok now...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:35 pm

Get it as soon as possible. You'll be fine, and you'll prevent grandkid-to-husband transmission, not to mention avoid getting laid low by the flu yourself. 

I didn't use to get flu shots, until the year my wife got one and I didn't... and was sick for a month. Now I get them every year. In fact, I just got mine yesterday.

Last edited by Mark B on Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:37 pm

It's an individual choice, however, if ones immune system is strong enough, it should be able to fight off infection effectively.

In the meantime, a link to a recent British Medical Journal article that some may find interesting.

http://www.bmj.com/content/345/bmj.e7856
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:51 pm

I think Jerry is trying to get his post count up! affraid Razz
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:19 pm

Flu shot, shmu shot.  Runners should have strong immune systems.  

StirPot
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:30 pm

jon c wrote:It's an individual choice, however, if ones immune system is strong enough, it should be able to fight off infection effectively.

In the meantime, a link to a recent British Medical Journal article that some may find interesting.

But if you're living with or near high risk people such as infants (who can't get the vax anyway and can get ill and die), elderly, or those having surgery, then you really ought to build a cocoon around them and not share it. I got scared enough with my babies having colds last week and my doctor was concerned enough since they're just 2 mos old and fevers are quite dangerous. I think 20,000 Americans die every year from influenza so no don't get it if you don't live with anyone who is high risk and you're not worried about having to take a few days or a week off work but otherwise I think it's worth it.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:02 am

Julie wrote:
jon c wrote:It's an individual choice, however, if ones immune system is strong enough, it should be able to fight off infection effectively.

But if you're living with or near high risk people such as infants (who can't get the vax anyway and can get ill and die), elderly, or those having surgery, then you really ought to build a cocoon around them and not share it. I got scared enough with my babies having colds last week and my doctor was concerned enough since they're just 2 mos old and fevers are quite dangerous. I think 20,000 Americans die every year from influenza so no don't get it if you don't live with anyone who is high risk and you're not worried about having to take a few days or a week off work but otherwise I think it's worth it.
I understand what you're saying, Julie.  Point taken.

The point of the BMJ article was that the meta-analysis done on the flu shot from the late 60s through last year showed statistically it offered little protection for the elderly and the very young.  Again, it's a personal choice, and if folks want to get one, fine by me. But if it offers little to no more protection than not taking one, it's difficult for me to see it as essential.  The big driver in all of this is fear, which is unfortunate.

Hannah had the swine flu when it blew through several years ago.  So did over half her class.  She was ill for about four days.  She was at home, rested and when it was done, it was done.  She has never had an antibiotic in her life (11 years so far).  It can be done.
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:47 am

It can be done. My kids haven't had abx yet either and J is 4. She's also never had an ear infection but I think that has most to do with the fact that she stays home with a parent. For all vax I think it's smart to consider the risk of the illness and what would happen if you/your child got it and the chance of actually getting it. I don't know. I think the flu is tricky since it's so hard for them to match so maybe you are smart to skip it...... We skip a few vaccines for our kids that either the disease is very unlikely to get to them (like Hep A) or wouldn't be that risky if they did get it (chicken pox unless you're an adult - I had them as an adult and it was miserable and also very dangerous for pregnant women). So I'm not 100% pro vaccine then again my family is pretty medical - I'm required to get the flu shot since I work in a hospital, one of my parents is a PA the other an RN so I'm sure that influences my decision too (I'll never claim to be ill because the weather has changed, like my in-laws do. OK, the weather changed, nice. that didn't give you a sinus infection. A virus or bacterium did).
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:11 am

Mrs. Schuey wrote:I think Jerry is trying to get his post count up! affraid Razz
Always
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:08 pm

I got mine 2 weeks ago.  I'm required to for work, although even if I had a choice I'd still get it, to protect myself and to protect others from myself.

I think definitely you should get it, although I am highly biased.  If you're going to do it, get it now for sure.  There's no predicting when you may be exposed, and after the race your immune system will be at most risk for the infection and least able to mount an immune response to the vaccine, if you do wait.  

About 4 years ago, I had confirmed influenza. We were required to get the vaccine for work, and I got the flu the week before they started giving the vaccine out.  I was fine, and then all the sudden it felt like I was dying.  I was truly ill / off / useless for over a week, had lingering symptoms / fevers for 2.5 full weeks, and wasn't back to normal (in terms of energy) for 4 weeks.  I wasn't running at the time, but had I been, I'd have been off for about 3 weeks.  That same year, I remember having 3 completely healthy people in the ICU on the vent from influenza.  I can't remember whether it was 1 or 2 that died from it just in my ICU block.  Most people are more fortunate than that, to just be inconvenienced by it, but you just never know.  

I had arm pain for about 2 hours and took a gram of tylenol and was fine.  I forget if I ran that same day or not, but about 30 minutes after the tylenol, I was fine and have been since.
Penelope
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:01 pm

Thanks for the input everyone!

I got my flu shot yesterday.  I'm not as worried about protecting myself as I am about protecting the grandkids and my parents.

Best news is we have another grandchild...number 5...on the way. Very Happy  One more reason for getting the flu shot.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum