365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I got the chills there multiplyig...

+8
JohnP
mul21
Nick Morris
Mark B
Julie
Admin
Michele "1L" Keane
Kenny B.
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

I got the chills there multiplyig... Empty I got the chills there multiplyig...

Post  Kenny B. Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:29 am

I ran 14 miles on Sunday with last 3=4 @ MP on the boardwalk in some pretty hot and humid weather.  After the run I felt terrible for several hours with the chills and ache despite what  I thight was proper hydration with 20 oz of water and (2) gu's.  I got home ate drank more fluids and crashed in bed for 2 hours and then I started to feel better as the day progressed.

Today I ran 7 miles mile repeats 73 degrees 85% humidity and upon returning I am feeling not as bad as Sunday but similar symptoms.  I drank 8 oz before the run another 4-5 during the run for 7 miles that typically is more than enough.  But I seem to be sweating like a beast this summer.

I drink a good 90 to 100 oz of water a day and my urine is pretty clear.

I am wondering if I should add salt to my food during the day or what?  Any suggestions, please let me know.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

I got the chills there multiplyig... Empty Re: I got the chills there multiplyig...

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:04 am

Those goosebumps and chill are a sign of heat exhaustion.  Not sure what you are drinking, but make sure that you have enough electrolytes as well as the fluids.  I read something very recently about estimating the fluids that you would need by weighing yourself before and after a run, subtracting what you drank, and then determining what you really need.  I doubt that 20 oz was enough for 14 miles in heat an humidity if you sweat like I do (I leave puddles when I stop and stand there) and I have had similar issues.  I am even carrying water now when I run for less than an hour and drinking the entire 12 oz.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

I got the chills there multiplyig... Empty Re: I got the chills there multiplyig...

Post  Admin Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:17 am

I agree that it's heat-related, but to be clear... drinking more fluids or taking more electrolytes does not prevent heat exhaustion.  Fluid intake only comes into play if you reach a point where you stop sweating.  Then you have a hydration issue that can lead to overheating.  If you're still sweating when you finish and have these symptoms you've literally just over-extended yourself by running too hard for the conditions.

It's particularly important to realize that when the humidity is high the sweat doesn't evaporate as well, which means heat isn't being transferred away from the body.  In this type of environment, you'll probably feel better pouring cold water over your head than trying to drink more during the run.

I would recommend using a neck cooler (google it) during the runs and try cooling around the neck immediately after you finish your runs.  The neck is where you can cool blood temp most effectively.

Lastly, in hot/humid conditions you MUST forget about target paces and focus only on effort.  Trying to run @MP in those conditions is a recipe for disaster...

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:23 am

Thanks for the replies back. Interesting about sweat not evaporating. I've been running shirtless and the sweat just stays on my body but with a singlet it acts as a wicker of sweat which might help my cause.

ill try that next time see what happens along with ice cold water to pour over my head.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:41 am

Summer heat and humidity can be brutal. Are you getting up as early as possible to complete your runs in the coolest part of the day? You've already gotten good advice.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:43 am

Julie around 7 am. Used to get up 5 or 6.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:57 am

It doesn't sound like you're taking any sort of electrolyte supplement (S-Caps, Endurolytes) during your runs. You might want to consider it. One of the main benefits of staying up on the sodium is that it helps the fluid empty out of your stomach, which lets it get to the rest of the body, where it belongs.

Goosebumps on a hot day are NOT a good sign. It can be a quick transition from heat exhaustion to heat stroke. You don't want that.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:37 pm

Heat stroke would suck. Agree. I'm going to get scaps used to take then a few years ago. Thanks
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:50 pm

After seeing Matt's post, I agree, and I should have clarified that it is often the effort of the run in combination.  Running 3-4 @ MP in brutal conditions can't help your cause.  You might want to talk to your coach about adjusting those paces.  My coach used to tell me to back off 10% per mile pace for every few degrees from 70F and higher.  You do and will acclimate, but it takes time.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:40 pm

I agree with the others that is sounds like an overheating issue without out replenishing the body enough.  I have had that happen to me a couple of times.  I think if you make some adjustments and make sure that you are replenishing more often, you will start seeing less and less of the chills and goosebumps.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:29 pm

Here is a timely post I just ran across moments ago, written by a very knowledgeable runner:

http://community.runnersworld.com/topic/summer-school-is-in-session-fueling-pacing-hydration-and-heat-stress-101

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:34 pm

Matt has in fact hit the nail on the head.  I do most of my easy and long runs outside during the hot weather to help the body get acclimated on runs where I'm not concerned about pace, but if I'm doing any kind of workout, I almost always take it to the treadmill when it's really hot.  Those goose bumps were definitely a sign of heat stress and the next steps of heat exhaustion and stroke are no fun to deal with.  As Michele said, you need to either back off the paces if you stay outside or take it to a mill if you want to hit a specific pace.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:29 pm

Interesting, I had goose bumps myself this morning as I was doing the cool down portion of my run, which was an interval session. I figured it was heat-related.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:42 pm

Kenny, define pretty hot and humid please.

Don't ever come down Texas in Summer with your running gears. 

lol!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:04 pm

Jerry wrote:Kenny, define pretty hot and humid please.

lol!

Jerry, I think that it has more to do with not being acclimated to the heat/warmth yet.  If I lived/ran in Texas for awhile, I too would be used to the "hot and humid".
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:24 pm

If you wear a hat try putting some ice under it before and after your run.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:57 pm

Nick Morris wrote:

lol!

Jerry, I think that it has more to do with not being acclimated to the heat/warmth yet.  If I lived/ran in Texas for awhile, I too would be used to the "hot and humid".

Exactly. Which is why the first few weeks of hot weather are the hardest and then when it cools off in the fall all running seems so much easier.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:02 pm

Julie wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:

lol!

Exactly. Which is why the first few weeks of hot weather are the hardest and then when it cools off in the fall all running seems so much easier.

+100
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:10 pm

Timely topic...I've always struggled with how to adjust my run due to heat issues.  If a run in the heat/humidity is the only option do I:

1)  Slow the pace and complete the distance?

2)  Maintain the pace and adjust the distance?

3)  Slow the pace and decrease the distance and stop at the time the run would have normally taken to complete?

I suppose it depends on the purpose of the run.  My shorter more intense runs I can usually manage to squeeze in early enough to avoid the worst of the heat so I usually just slow the pace slightly and try and complete the distance and/or scheduled intervals.  It's the longer runs that I struggle with.  I'm never quite sure how to get the most benefit from the run without overdoing it.  Goose bumps on a hot day are not a good sign!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:15 pm

My weather app shows that our temp just hit 100F...

Glad I ran early.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:23 pm

Nancy - I've always been of the school of thought to slow the pace and complete the distance unless it is a speed type run.  I have been struggling mightily the last 3-4 weeks, and I feel like I have finally begun to turn the corner.  Now our weather has changed a bit in that the morning temps are hovering around 70F (rather than the 75F of last week), but the morning humidity is still above 80% for the most part.  I was originally scheduled to run 3 x 5 min at HM pace this morning and we adjusted it to 3 x 3 min at HM pace.  It was still a tough workout and I was drenched, but I did hit the paces, so I was very pleased.  However, I don't think that I would have been ready for the 2 additional minutes at the pace.

I had the same issues in Atlanta as well as our warm weather would come in.  Surprisingly, Atlanta is not nearly as hot temperature-wise as most people think, but the humidity is generally high. This summer it has rained a lot and it seems to be warmer temperature-wise.  I'm glad that I'm not down there right now as it is 92F with 51% humidity, but here it is 78F with 80% humidity.  Not honestly always sure which is worse.

And to add a little humor: http://www.runnersworld.com/fun/9-reasons-why-im-not-complaining-about-running-in-heathumidity?cm_mmc=Facebook-_-RunnersWorld-_-Content-Blog-_-RunningInHeat
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:46 pm

Nancy - I slow the pace and keep the distance and carry a bottle of half ice half water.

Thanks for the article, Michele Very Happy
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:17 pm

Yes, it does depend on the purpose of the run...but for a normal training run, I would just slow the pace and complete the distance.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:41 pm

Nick Morris wrote:
Julie wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:

lol!

+100

That's like you say if you run 70mpw consistently, you would've broken sub 3 too. Wrong!

Kenny, two words, pool running.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:02 pm

Alright, Jerry went through Give and Receive Contructive Feedback today.

Whether crazy Kenny has not acclaimed yet or doesn't handle the heat well in general, 14 may be the limit currently. Train under the limit. What Jerry finds out is Jerry suffers significant deterioration of body condition after mile 16, then need 2 days to recover. So Jerry just runs 16 maximum, sometimes on Saturday, then again on Sunday if possible. It's easier than 10 plus 20. Weekdays, he can't do 12 and to recover in time. He just run 8-10 every day.

Find your limit of single run. Run more of the mid distance. You may still end up with high mileage you desire. After all, the overall mileage is more important.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum