365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cramping in my calves

+6
Mrs. Schuey
Ken Mello
Nick Morris
T Miller
Tom H
ChasMcG
10 posters

Go down

Cramping in my calves Empty Cramping in my calves

Post  ChasMcG Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:58 pm

Ever since I tore my calf muscle, I get these cramps after hard hilly runs. It's almost like a cramp you would get if you don't drink enough water or eat enough potassium. That fatigued feeling and if you stretch it the wrong way, it seizes up. It doesn't happen all of the time either.

What is that caused from? I drink a lot of water so I don't think it's that. Do you think it could be just scar tissue? Is there something I could do to prevent it or help it? I don't think I rested enough and maybe didn't heal properly. The muscle even looks weird, like there's a dent where the tear was.

I know...go to the doctor Very Happy

yea yea
ChasMcG
ChasMcG
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Cramping in my calves Empty Re: Cramping in my calves

Post  Tom H Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:10 am

Hmmmm, sounds like a Patron deficiency to me Laughing

Since you had an injury there, and have a visible dent, you may want to invest in extra stretching time both after the first 5 minutes of running and when you are done. I'm guessing that the may become shortening of the muscle which could cause an imbalance and additional stress on that calf. I'd check with your favorite PT person to be sure, but you may want to give that sick puppy some additional one-on-one attention to get it back to what it was.
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:21 am

It sounds to me like you need butter knife therapy to break up the scar tissue (Graston). You can look up a video that shows how to do it on you tube. Basically, you get some lotion and a butter knife and scrape at it with the handle of the knife. After you're finished you can ice it to reduce the inflammation.
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:47 am

T Miller wrote:It sounds to me like you need butter knife therapy to break up the scar tissue (Graston). You can look up a video that shows how to do it on you tube. Basically, you get some lotion and a butter knife and scrape at it with the handle of the knife. After you're finished you can ice it to reduce the inflammation.

+1...Graston will definitely break up any scar tissue that has built up from an injury. It may hurt like hell when you get it done, but you will feel much better after Smile
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Mello Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:07 am

I agree that its probably scar tissue, as i have the same thing happen. But since I've started using calf sleeves, it's been MUCH better, so maybe you want to try them. I use 2XU, but there are lots of options.
Ken Mello
Ken Mello
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:10 am

Ken Mello wrote:I agree that its probably scar tissue, as i have the same thing happen. But since I've started using calf sleeves, it's been MUCH better, so maybe you want to try them. I use 2XU, but there are lots of options.

I agree on the 2XU's! Our podiatrist and PT (in her office) are both advocates of ultrasound and stim and compression socks/sleeves, etc., as well as Epsom salt baths.

Chas, after my ankle injury and the scar tissue that built up in there, I did ultrasound on the area, started wearing compression socks and it made a big difference in the healing. A nice, warm Epsom salt bath will do wonders as well. You want blood to come into the area to help with healing, not chase it away with cold.
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:36 pm

Two thoughts:

How often do you run the "hard hilly runs"? and
How hard do you push (perceived effort) on those said runs?

I agree that scar tissue could have an impact and the Graston, stretching, and calf sleeves could definitely be helpful.

In my experience with cramping, as long as your fluids and minerals are right, that leaves two other potential issues. The people I know with cramping will usually lessen the cramping with two things: 1.Doing the hard hilly runs (in this instance) more often in order to adapt the body to that particular type of run more readily and: 2. Perhaps try running the hard hilly runs at a more easy pace than you presently do to lessen the impact of a hard difficult run on your calves. Perhaps even wear a heart monitor so that you don't push too hard unintentionally.

After marathons, I used to experience a feeling of near cramping in my calves for about 15 minutes or so. Presently I rarely have this any more and my feeling is that it is due to repetition and running more in my training and running more marathons so to speak. Our bodies have an amazing ability to adapt to what we put them through over time. The key is to break them in gently so that there is less chance of injury. Perserverance and persistence are the key IMO.

I hope that this issue can be resolved for you.
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  charles Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:52 pm

Ken Mello wrote:I agree that its probably scar tissue, as i have the same thing happen. But since I've started using calf sleeves, it's been MUCH better, so maybe you want to try them. I use 2XU, but there are lots of options.

I too use the 2XU calf sleeves. I tore my calf muscle in February on a hilly run and I am still dealing with it. Will likely always deal with it because my right calf is my weak link . . .

I would suggest 1) range of motion exercises - lots and lots of calf raises to get the muscle fibers working in unison and develop a longer range of motion. 2) I would suggest single leg calf raises as a strengthening exercise. 3) I would strengthen my ankles with "ankle exercises (google) and 4) I would strengthen my core and hips.

My calf is a wink link in a chain of moving parts
charles
charles
Poster
Poster

http://www.memphis-defense.com

Back to top Go down

Post  charles Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:59 pm

Thanks for info of Graston method. Never heard of it - will try it tonight on my calf!
charles
charles
Poster
Poster

http://www.memphis-defense.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:38 pm

charles wrote:Thanks for info of Graston method. Never heard of it - will try it tonight on my calf!

Seriously...it's like night and day...

I had an issue with my calf and had Graston done on it. As soon as it was complete I already felt better. So, much that I was able to do a 9 miler two day later without any pain.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:26 pm

I have those probably much lighter than you hours after the workout, guess when my body really cools down(?). I do hill repeats primarily for strength and injury prevention, so take it easy.

Don't work too hard in those workouts, Chas.

Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:09 pm

I had a similar calf issue after I pulled mine 4 summers ago. Graston and ultrasound broke up the scar tissue, and I also started to consistently take calcium, magnesium, and zinc supplements.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ChasMcG Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:14 am

Wow! Thanks everyone! Sounds like I'm not the only one that has had issues after a tear!! Thank you so much for the input I love you
ChasMcG
ChasMcG
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down