365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crossing My Training And Crossing My Fingers

+16
Jim Lentz
Schuey
Dave P
Tom H
Chris M
John Kilpatrick
Ken Mello
JohnP
Natalie
Alex Kubacki
Jerry
mul21
Kenny B.
Mike MacLellan
Seth Harrison
Michael Enright
20 posters

Page 8 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Crossing My Training And Crossing My Fingers - Page 8 Empty Re: Crossing My Training And Crossing My Fingers

Post  Michael Enright Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:07 pm

Dave P wrote:Hey Michael! Did I know that you were doing Cape Cod? I don't remember, but then again, I haven't been on here much lately. The hills during the 2nd half are unrelenting - one after another - they seem to never end. However, that is still my current marathon PR of 3:15 from two years ago. Only during a portion of the beginning & end do you get a great view of the coast, so be sure to enjoy those scenes while they last.

Dave, I do remember you running it ("I don't run for Dunkin'") and I remember the PR. I have read the extensive history of the race on the race's website, which talks a lot about those hills. And Alex warned me about them, too, so I won't be surprised. But that doesn't mean I'll be able to take them in stride, necessarily! I had better enjoy the coast scenery at the start, because I'll probably be too wiped out at the end. Thanks for stopping by.
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Crossing My Training And Crossing My Fingers - Page 8 Empty Re: Crossing My Training And Crossing My Fingers

Post  Michael Enright Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:10 pm

Oh, almost forgot why I logged on - 5 easy treadmill miles tonight (9:00 min per mile). I was tired after the hilly 10 yesterday. I went up to the track, thinking I'd run it up there, but it was too cold and rainy! Quite the contrast to the hot/humid 10 last night. I would have stuck it out, but the windblown drizzle was too much, given how I was dressed, and I had a strong feeling I was going to end up sick after that kind of run, and that's the last thing I need right now. So off to the mill and watched a bit of SEC football. Not too bad.

Tomorrow is an off day, and then hoping for a 20 and a 10 over the weekend. Gotta at least get the 10 in. Life is complicated by colonoscopy prep starting Sunday about noon. Ugh.
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:50 pm

We run by some cranberry bogs about 7-8 miles in that's nice too.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:51 pm

Alex Kubacki wrote:We run by some cranberry bogs about 7-8 miles in that's nice too.

They should hand out juice at that point!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:46 pm

So I banged out another 20 miler today. The weather really cooperated. It was in the low 50s at the start, and I doubt it ever got much above 60 during the run. Sunny, but the run is mostly in the shade, and a nice breeze, but no feeling of a headwind. Wow, was that ever nice!

I just felt good on this run. Goal was to maintain about 9:30 pace. I did pretty well at that. Got ahead of myself on a few miles. I hydrated aggressively, but was not really sweating much at all (what a difference a week makes - I was just damp in spots at the end of this run, as compared to a wet rag at the end of last week's 20). So, I had to pee about six times. Fortunately its easy on the rail trail to find a place to do that discreetly, and it didn't cost me much time. I did take some time each time the loop took me back to the car, to eat a gel and to slug down some water or gatorade and to grab one to carry with me. The first loop was 8 miles, the second was 8 miles, and the last was 4 (of course!).

After the final turn, with about two miles to go, I picked it up a bit, because I could and I wanted to reinforce that I could. As I got to about a mile left, I started thinking maybe I could bring it in right at 3:10, which is a 9:30 average. With the leakage in time for the pitstops at the car, that would take a little extra. So I started to hit the gas. At a half mile, I could see that it was possible, but I was going to have to go faster. At a quarter mile, I knew I had to amp it up even more. I hit it at exactly 3:10. The extra couple of seconds below were for the tiny bit of distance I ran after hitting 20 miles. Well, its all within the +/- range of the garmin's accuracy anyway.

This was a really reassuring run!

I noticed something in looking at the watch data afterwards, specifically the elevation. The garmin does funny things on the rail trail, as I explained recently due to the fact that there are often steep embankments on one side or both, depending on the terrain that the old RR was crossing, which gets pretty hilly. Sometimes, the garmin "correcting" software (which I think uses topo map databases to replot the data points on) thinks I'm over the embankment, or perhaps doesn't appreciate that a footbridge was built over a ravine, or something like that. So you get funny anomalies on the elevation chart. I noticed some of those today, so also ran it on Sport Tracks. The charts are quite different, see below, and both seem to overstate the hilliness of the terrain, sometimes dramatically.

Crossing My Training And Crossing My Fingers - Page 8 20_ele10

Crossing My Training And Crossing My Fingers - Page 8 Runnin10

Crossing My Training And Crossing My Fingers - Page 8 20_spl10
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:36 am

I set out for a run on another beautiful morning for it here (maybe 50s, sunny, nice), not sure if I'd go as few as 5 or as many as 10. Part of me wanted the 10, so I could end the week at a nice even 50 miles, a level I didn't expect to reach when I started this crazy injury-recover cross-training marathon training schedule.

After the 20 yesterday, I felt pretty good, though a bit creaky when I got out of bed, and the PF seemed subdued. Maybe it was just that everything else was sore, so it didn't stand out!

After eating some oatmeal, having some coffee and just moving around a bit, I felt good to go, so headed out the door. I decided to run on the road starting in my driveway, to get in some more hills on tired legs, given the upcoming hills in the second half of my marathon. So I headed east, the hilly way. I ran the first (uphill) mile nice and slow, but felt pretty good. I decided to go out 2.5, and head back, so I'd be back in my driveway at 5 miles, and then could decide if I was done, or going for more. I felt solid the whole way. When I got to my driveway, I stopped to take a leak in my bushes (nothing like peeing in your own shrubbery!), and headed out the other way. Its not nearly as hilly, though you often are going up or down smaller hills, which is good. I still wasn't sure I was up for the full 10, but one thing led to another, and though I was pretty tired at the end, I felt good.

So the splits and elevation are below. That was a good week!

Crossing My Training And Crossing My Fingers - Page 8 10m_sp10

Crossing My Training And Crossing My Fingers - Page 8 10m_el10
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:23 am

Great training this weekend! It looks like you're doing a very solid job.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:29 am

Hey, I forogt to mention in my own blog and race report that I did the manual lap button pushing on the half marathon I did Sunday and it worked well. Thanks for the suggestion and help on setting it up that way. I still do have the GPS turned on so while it is getting a decent signal, I do see my "Current Lap Pace" as at least an indicator of how I'm going during that mile. But I'm wondering if I should even have total distance showing.

What fields do you have show on a Garmin during a race. For me, it would be:

Total time

Current Lap Pace

Total distance

I then have GPS on but autolap off. I press lap at each mile marker and for 3-4 seconds it will show me the "lap time" (in real time, not pace) so I know my official time for that previous mile.

But you had a different field, right? You had that previous lap time stick there on the watch as a field? Inquiring minds want to know!
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:19 am

Julie wrote:Great training this weekend! It looks like you're doing a very solid job.

Thanks Julie! Feels good to log some bigger miles.
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:25 am

Chris M wrote:Hey, I forogt to mention in my own blog and race report that I did the manual lap button pushing on the half marathon I did Sunday and it worked well. Thanks for the suggestion and help on setting it up that way. I still do have the GPS turned on so while it is getting a decent signal, I do see my "Current Lap Pace" as at least an indicator of how I'm going during that mile. But I'm wondering if I should even have total distance showing.

Total time

Current Lap Pace

Total distance

I then have GPS on but autolap off. I press lap at each mile marker and for 3-4 seconds it will show me the "lap time" (in real time, not pace) so I know my official time for that previous mile.

But you had a different field, right? You had that previous lap time stick there on the watch as a field? Inquiring minds want to know!

Hey, nice job on your HM!

I display total distance, total time, and the actual time elapsed for the last lap, whatever that last one is called on the menu (I don't have it with me). I've found that I do better being able to look at that last lap time for a bit during the next lap, particularly late in long races (marathons in particular). I get just loopy enough sometimes as I grow fatigued that I have a hard time remembering what it was, and its nice to look at it a few hundred yards into the next mile, maybe after dealing with a hydration stop if there is one at the mile marker, so I'm not trying to do everything at once. And I don't really trust my "current pace" as shown the garmin anyway, so I don't use that.

I leave "total miles" on there for the same reason - I don't want to forget what mile I'm in! I actually get distracted enough sometimes that I've missed the mile markers several times, especially late in races (but even early on - I think in Vermont I missed mile 8!).
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:58 pm

Michael Enright wrote:
Chris M wrote:Hey, I forogt to mention in my own blog and race report that I did the manual lap button pushing on the half marathon I did Sunday and it worked well. Thanks for the suggestion and help on setting it up that way. I still do have the GPS turned on so while it is getting a decent signal, I do see my "Current Lap Pace" as at least an indicator of how I'm going during that mile. But I'm wondering if I should even have total distance showing.

Total time

Current Lap Pace

Total distance

Hey, nice job on your HM!

I display total distance, total time, and the actual time elapsed for the last lap, whatever that last one is called on the menu (I don't have it with me). I've found that I do better being able to look at that last lap time for a bit during the next lap, particularly late in long races (marathons in particular). I get just loopy enough sometimes as I grow fatigued that I have a hard time remembering what it was, and its nice to look at it a few hundred yards into the next mile, maybe after dealing with a hydration stop if there is one at the mile marker, so I'm not trying to do everything at once. And I don't really trust my "current pace" as shown the garmin anyway, so I don't use that.

I leave "total miles" on there for the same reason - I don't want to forget what mile I'm in! I actually get distracted enough sometimes that I've missed the mile markers several times, especially late in races (but even early on - I think in Vermont I missed mile 8!).

Agreed on not using "Current Pace" as that is a completely bogus field and changes so quickly as to be unusable. But I find "Current Lap Pace" to be pretty important. If I am 3/4 of the way through a mile (say between mile 5 and 6) I want to know at least roughly how I'm doing in that mile. If I read it right, you have no real indication of how you are doing during each mile until you get to the mile marker itself. Yikes, no way I could do that. My sense of pacing is not good enough to trust myself not to go too slow or too fast within each mile. I need some kind of guide to what pacing looks like mid-mile.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:55 pm

You're right, I don't use that. Maybe i should. In your experience, has that proven pretty accurate at, say, halfway through that mile? That would be useful. I could see either eliminating total distance and using that instead, or going to 4 fields.
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:27 pm

Had a colonoscopy yesterday (my second - since my mom died of colon cancer, I'm on the 5 year plan - each has been clear). A great time, and I recommend it to all.

Recovery was good, and I was ready to run tonight. I only have two days to run mid-week this stepback week. I usually would do Tues/Wed/Thurs, and take a rest day Friday. I have a retirement dinner for a colleague that I must attend Thurs, that will go late. I can't do it in the morning due to conflicting obligations. And I don't want to do it Friday, because I'm planning a HM race on Sunday, and want to rest up. So, I decided to take the 5/6/5 mile runs and turn them into 8/8 mile runs on Tues/Wed. No way I could run yesterday after the colonoscopy and the 20/10 runs over the weekend.

Did the first 8 miler at the track tonight. I love running at the track! I was all alone tonight. I had some light for the first 6 miles, because they were playing tennis next to the track, under the lights. But they plunged me into darkness for the last couple of miles, which was just fine. Ran this at just under 9:00 min/mile, and the splits were pretty good. I can't go by the garmin - it gets a little confused on the track, and is adequate for making sure I don't miscount the laps, but that's about it. I run in lane two, and by the track distance calculator, 32 laps should add up to 8.087 miles, so a shade over, but you can see from the splits below that it marks it longer, which screws up the splits. I also like the elevation (one end must be higher than the other!) and the satellite imagery, all below.

Crossing My Training And Crossing My Fingers - Page 8 Track_10

Crossing My Training And Crossing My Fingers - Page 8 Track_11

Crossing My Training And Crossing My Fingers - Page 8 Track_12
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:32 pm

Another 8 miler tonight, this time on the mill, right at about 9:00 pace, went well.

Tried out my new Brooks Glycerin 8, which came today. This is one of those top of the line, plush neutral cushion shoes. No minimalism here! I've been running for a few years now with Saucony's Triumphs as my default training shoe. I really liked the model 4, 5 and 6's. I skipped the 7's, because they got heavy and got lousy reviews, and found new pairs of 6's until they came out with the 8's, then I broke down and tried those. They were ok, but just didn't feel the same, and they haven't worn quite as well. So when Nick, I think, pointed out a deal on these Brooks, I decided to give them a go. I've been running in Brooks Ghost 4's as my "other" shoe lately, and really like those, so figured these were worth a try.

Man, is this a plush ride. Almost too much. I enjoyed them on the mill. I have to give them a try on the pavement, and maybe run one of the remaining long runs in them. But I think for the marathon I'm going with the Ghosts, which are a bit lighter, but still have enough to them that I think my feet will hold up well.

A few days off now, then the Niantic Bay HM on Sunday. I think I'm going to run that pretty hard, as long as the weather comes close to cooperating.
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:27 pm

Michael Enright wrote:You're right, I don't use that. Maybe i should. In your experience, has that proven pretty accurate at, say, halfway through that mile? That would be useful. I could see either eliminating total distance and using that instead, or going to 4 fields.

Yes, accurate enough. I wouldn't look at it during the first 0.1 or so but it will give you a fairly accurate read from then on. Current Lap Pace is really the only thing I look at consistently on my Garmin.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:52 am

Chris M wrote:
Michael Enright wrote:You're right, I don't use that. Maybe i should. In your experience, has that proven pretty accurate at, say, halfway through that mile? That would be useful. I could see either eliminating total distance and using that instead, or going to 4 fields.

Yes, accurate enough. I wouldn't look at it during the first 0.1 or so but it will give you a fairly accurate read from then on. Current Lap Pace is really the only thing I look at consistently on my Garmin.

OK, I think I'm going to try that on Sunday for the HM. I think I'll just do 3 fields, one being total elapsed time, another being the time elapsed for the last lap (which I will hit manually, no autolap) and the third will be the Current Lap Pace. I don't really need the total distance displayed, I think.
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:06 am

Michael Enright wrote:
Chris M wrote:

OK, I think I'm going to try that on Sunday for the HM. I think I'll just do 3 fields, one being total elapsed time, another being the time elapsed for the last lap (which I will hit manually, no autolap) and the third will be the Current Lap Pace. I don't really need the total distance displayed, I think.

I like it. Yeah, total distance is not really needed in a race that is marked. But remember that GPS does stay on. No autolap like you said. GOOD LUCK! Shooting for a time goal?
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:23 pm

Chris M wrote:
Michael Enright wrote:
Chris M wrote:

I like it. Yeah, total distance is not really needed in a race that is marked. But remember that GPS does stay on. No autolap like you said. GOOD LUCK! Shooting for a time goal?

Chris - sorry I somehow missed your last post - just saw it now, post-race.

I threw any real time goal out the window when I got up this morning and it was already 70 at 6:30 a.m. and the dew point also was 69 or 70. That stuff always kills me.

Decided to try to get up to HM PR pace anyway for the second/third miles, and see if I could hold it for a while, thinking the chances of that were pretty slim. I was right. The first mile is a ridiculous bottleneck, which I expected because I've run this race once before, then a couple of pretty good miles, then I knew I just had to slow down. And slow down, and slow down. I kicked it back up a little bit for the final 1.1, but not that much. I was dehydrated and exhausted, despite a lot of good hydration, well-executed. I would do poorly if I lived in the South, that's for sure.

Splits and elevation below.

My watch strategy would have been fine, I think, except that the miles are poorly marked (in one case, I believe significantly mismarked), so there were points where it would have been real nice to have a frame of reference for where I was at. I guess I missed the 5 mile marker altogether. It seemed like it never appeared, though I've missed mile markers in races before and been wrong, and just oblivious, previously, so I probably missed it. Even so, the distance between 4 and 6 is way off, and then what the heck was the next mile? These seemed all screwed up.

They probably were screwed up. This race has awful logistics. When I got there I decided to check my gear (would have been easy to just deal with it at the car, but they advertised a gear check, so I figured I'd use it). No one had a clue how to run a gear check. They had to recruit a volunteer to do it and make up a process. Weird. There were two mile 1 markers, about 50 yards apart. What the ??? They announced that there would be GU at mile 8. Guess what, no GU. That's OK, I didn't really need GU. And of course the ridiculous bottleneck at the start. They start in a parking lot, and all the runners have to advance from the lot onto a narrow roadway (really more of a paved path), with no chute or anything to get them there. Its crazy.

But none of that mattered on a day like today. I was just too hot to do anything other than treat it as some race practice and have some interesting conversations along the way. Knowing that it was going to be lousy took any pressure off, as well as taking an opportunity away. No real race report on this one, because I didn't really race it.

I think next time with the watch I'll go with four fields: Time elapsed; distance; last lap actual time elapsed; current lap pace. Then, if the markers are crazy, I'll have something to check them against...

Crossing My Training And Crossing My Fingers - Page 8 Nianti10

Crossing My Training And Crossing My Fingers - Page 8 Nianti11
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Michael sorry the conditions weren't great for the half. But you got it done and you're another step closer to the Cape.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:58 pm

Alex Kubacki wrote:Michael sorry the conditions weren't great for the half. But you got it done and you're another step closer to the Cape.
Thanks Alex. I just keep on keepin' on...
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:50 pm

Nice 5 miles at the track tonight. A welcome breeziness and slight temp drop that made the humidity seem better. Averaged 8:54.

I think I get to do 10 miles of hilliness post-work tomorrow, if everything breaks right and I can get out a bit early.

Everything feels fine after the HM - my legs didn't take a beating at that pace!

I wore the Glycerines again, and liked them. Final test is whenever I take them on the road, or maybe for one of the remaining long runs.
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:42 pm

10 miles of ups and downs tonight - splits and elevation below. Did a good job this time of not starting out too fast. Weather was a little better than two weeks ago - still quite humid, but significantly cooler, with a breeze, tonight. I think the hill work on tired legs is probably doing a good job of prepping me for Cape Cod.

Crossing My Training And Crossing My Fingers - Page 8 928_el10

Crossing My Training And Crossing My Fingers - Page 8 928_sp10
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:56 pm

Good job on the half, Michael. I like the consistency there once things opened up a little!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:05 pm

sorry that wasn't the greatest organized race. Nice job, though, and good 10 miler.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:26 pm

Thanks John, and thanks Julie, I sure am looking forward to some kind of break in the weather. This humidity is gross. Maybe good for the 20 coming up on Saturday!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next