365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boston

+17
jon c
Dave P
Alex Kubacki
Paula Sue
Mark B
nkrichards
dot520
KBFitz
Nick Morris
Jim Lentz
Chris Coleman
Julie
carleenp
Bob
mul21
ounce
Seth Harrison
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Boston Empty Boston

Post  Seth Harrison Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:41 pm

I won't be writing a race report from the Boston Marathon. It was not a good marathon for me, but I finished in one piece. None of that matters now. Thank God, all of our friends are safe and accounted for. That's what matters. Unfortunately, as we know, the same can't be said for many people. That's also what matters. My prayers are of for those who are most affected by this tragedy.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Boston Empty Re: Boston

Post  ounce Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:15 pm

You finished and you survived. Weird that 'surviving' a marathon doesn't mean the temps were in the 80's.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:22 pm

Seth, you have 2 more Boston Marathon finisher's medals than most people will ever have. Something to be exceptionally proud of.

Also, as one of my dad's pilot sayings goes, any landing you walk away from is a good one, I think any marathon you cross the finish line is a good one. Maybe not that day, week, or month, but eventually it will become a good memory.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:35 pm

Well said, Seth. Glad you're safe.

But still, congratulations.
Bob
Bob
Lord Bobby
Lord Bobby

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:00 am

I'm glad that you and the others from here are safe.
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

http://beautyandfashiontech.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:09 am

I'm glad you're all safe. Congratulations on finishing Boston. I know so many who have qualifying for Boston as one of their top goals and it is so hard to achieve. I think I've given up on ever qualifying but it's definitely an accomplishment.

Do you have any fall races chosen?
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Coleman Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:36 am

Seth Harrison wrote:I won't be writing a race report from the Boston Marathon...
Congratulations, anyway, on finishing.

I don't think every race, even every marathon, deserves a report. I shouldn't want to persuade anyone to write when they don't feel inclined to. At the same time, I hope no-one would be put off writing a report by the thought that it might be insensitive. That would be giving in to the undoubted wishes of the evil perpetrator(s).

I am so glad all the 365Runners were unhurt, but I feel desperately sorry that many spectators, some of them children, suffered terribly. Only cowards attack defenceless innocents.
Chris Coleman
Chris Coleman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:05 am

mul21 wrote:Seth, you have 2 more Boston Marathon finisher's medals than most people will ever have. Something to be exceptionally proud of.

Jim, I need to remember exactly what you said. It's a bit hard after yesterday's events, but it is something I'll carry with me.

I appreciate everyone's support. Thanks guys (and girls!). I know the rest of our friends appreciate everyone's concern as well.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:25 am

Good to hear that everyone from here is OK.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:52 pm

I was sitting 1,500 miles away when everything happened and I was still affected by everything. I am just glad that you are safe and truly understand you not wanting to write a race report.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  KBFitz Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:30 pm

Seth Harrison wrote:I finished in one piece.
Unfortunately, the same can't be said for many people.
My prayers are for those who are most affected by this tragedy.
You sure cut to the quick Seth. It's a fitting race report. We're all stunned by the senseless act of violence that marred yesterday's race and are proud of all who qualified and ran.
KBFitz
KBFitz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:55 pm

That says a lot for you, Seth, considering your line of work. You knew this race was not going to be stellar, but congratulations regardless. You had no influence on the outcome of the day, take heart that all of us were with you yesterday.
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:44 pm

Seth,
You may not consider it a good marathon but you qualified to run and finished it in spite of a tough training cycle. That's much more than many of us! I hope that with time you recognize the value of your accomplishment.
Glad to hear you're safe.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:48 pm

Congratulations on qualifying for and completing Boston, especially in the face of significant headwinds.

My thoughts went to you yesterday. You've gone through so much in the past year, it's a shame that this event was so marred for you and the many thousands of others by the callousness of a few.

Recover well, and carry on.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula Sue Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:21 pm

Seth, you are recovering from more than a marathon. You were thrown into a tragic event and now you have to deal with the emotion of that, as well. As the days go by, your physical recovery will be much faster than your emotional recovery. Take care and know your community of running friends are here for you.
Paula Sue
Paula Sue
Poster
Poster

http://oceanbreeze-lake-erie.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:09 pm

Thank you all for your supportive comments. I appreciate every word.
Paula Sue, you couldn't be more right, the emotional toll is greater than I could have imagined. I'm used to covering tragedies, not being personally involved. There's no comparison, and no way to be prepared.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:17 am

Seth glad you're ok and congrats on finishing dealing with what you went through.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:23 am

Hey Seth, I'm very glad you survived & your report was short, but spoke clearly what we're all feeling.
I too have been very disappointed with my performance at Boston. When I got that 1st (& only to-date) Boston finisher's medal in 2010, it didn't seem to mean much & I didn't even want my wife to take my picture because I was so discouraged. Over time though, its meaning has changed, especially after what happened this year. I'm very happy now to be part of the running community as a whole, and specifically a part of that small fraternity of not only Boston Qualifiers, but Boston finishers too. I've been wearing my Boston shirts often this week, & I'm as determined as ever to get back to Boston & finally have a good race there, racing not just for myself, but in memory of those who died, the injured, the 1st responders, for all Americans. I hope your Boston medal will mean more to you over time as well. You were there. You are a part of that great marathon community.
Dave P
Dave P
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:23 am

Alex Kubacki wrote:Seth glad you're ok and congrats on finishing dealing with what you went through.

Thanks Alex!

Dave P wrote:Hey Seth, I'm very glad you survived & your report was short, but spoke clearly what we're all feeling.
I too have been very disappointed with my performance at Boston. When I got that 1st (& only to-date) Boston finisher's medal in 2010, it didn't seem to mean much & I didn't even want my wife to take my picture because I was so discouraged. Over time though, its meaning has changed, especially after what happened this year. I'm very happy now to be part of the running community as a whole, and specifically a part of that small fraternity of not only Boston Qualifiers, but Boston finishers too. I've been wearing my Boston shirts often this week, & I'm as determined as ever to get back to Boston & finally have a good race there, racing not just for myself, but in memory of those who died, the injured, the 1st responders, for all Americans. I hope your Boston medal will mean more to you over time as well. You were there. You are a part of that great marathon community.

Thanks for your thoughts Dave. It's funny how the Boston jacket from this year's marathon, which was by far the worst performance of my seven marathons, has become, at least for now, one of my most cherished possessions. I don't look at it like as a badge of honor, but more as a permanent connection to the city and to this amazing event.
I'm glad your perspective on your first Boston, and the finishers medal, has changed to mean what it does to you. I think you said it perfectly. I know you'll get back there again, and I know it will be a very meaningful experience, regardless of your finishing time.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:44 am

First of all, Seth, I was glad to finally have an opportunity to meet you in person. I also wanted to thank you for the accidental phone call after the race. Even though I was there, not having witnessed the actual event versus what you, Vivian, John P, and Michele had to endure was a lot different in terms of impact. Strange days indeed..

Hope that your decisions regarding future running work out for the best for you and your family.
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:12 pm

Seth,
Well said! It was a pleasure finally meeting you in person. We all will share a common bond after this senseless tragedy far beyond just running. Congrats on completing the race and also for staying back to document the aftermath for your newspaper, that had to be a bit rough!
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:40 pm

Jon and Steve, thanks guys. It was great finally meeting both of you. As I've said on other threads, I'm so glad to have shared the experience, both the good and bad, with everyone here.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  amyjoann Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:23 pm

You are recovering and will continue to recover from a very traumatic event,I've never met you or many of the V-teamers ,but I thought about you all that day and sent prayers everyones way. I'm glad everyone came home and I hope you feel better and stronger each day.
amyjoann
amyjoann
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:28 pm

amyjoann wrote:You are recovering and will continue to recover from a very traumatic event,I've never met you or many of the V-teamers ,but I thought about you all that day and sent prayers everyones way. I'm glad everyone came home and I hope you feel better and stronger each day.

Thank you AmyJoann. I really appreciate your thoughts.
Right now the only lingering effects are some wickedly bad dreams and trouble sleeping.
Bizarre stuff...
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:41 pm

Seth Harrison wrote:
amyjoann wrote:You are recovering and will continue to recover from a very traumatic event,I've never met you or many of the V-teamers ,but I thought about you all that day and sent prayers everyones way. I'm glad everyone came home and I hope you feel better and stronger each day.

Thank you AmyJoann. I really appreciate your thoughts.
Right now the only lingering effects are some wickedly bad dreams and trouble sleeping.
Bizarre stuff...

Sorry to hear this Seth. I know you saw more than any of us, and I know I had a tough week after the fact as did Ken and Vivian. Peace to you friend.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next