365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New York

+3
Seth Harrison
fostever
Jerry
7 posters

Go down

New York  Empty New York

Post  Jerry Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:21 pm

I am planning to tour NYC the last week of March with wife and our 11 years old DD.

Any recommendation of places to go? I like to go to a coast line to find some motivation from the ocean. I don't swim, surf or whatever just want to see it. Any good sightseeing places, maybe with cliff etc, for that purpose?
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

New York  Empty Re: New York

Post  fostever Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:53 pm

Brooklyn Bridge, (don't jump) Times square, Ground Zero. Haven't been, except on highway to Massachusetts, but heard about! Neutral Oh, oh David Letterman show.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:43 pm

Jerry, if you're looking for views of the water, head down to Battery Park. From there, you'll see the harbor, as well as the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. From Battery Park, it's a relatively short walk up Broadway, through the financial district, including some of the oldest parts of the city, up to Ground Zero, which is just a couple of blocks west of Broadway. If you continue a few blocks north on Broadway, you'll hit City Hall, which is very close to the Brooklyn Bridge. As Steve suggested, if the weather permits, a walk over the bridge is very cool, with great views of lower Manhattan as you walk back from Brooklyn. I just gave you a lot of walking, but for a sub-3:00 hour marathoner such as yourself, it shouldn't be an problem! Wish I could say the same for the rest of your family.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:28 pm

Seth Harrison wrote:Jerry, if you're looking for views of the water, head down to Battery Park. From there, you'll see the harbor, as well as the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. From Battery Park, it's a relatively short walk up Broadway, through the financial district, including some of the oldest parts of the city, up to Ground Zero, which is just a couple of blocks west of Broadway. If you continue a few blocks north on Broadway, you'll hit City Hall, which is very close to the Brooklyn Bridge. As Steve suggested, if the weather permits, a walk over the bridge is very cool, with great views of lower Manhattan as you walk back from Brooklyn. I just gave you a lot of walking, but for a sub-3:00 hour marathoner such as yourself, it shouldn't be an problem! Wish I could say the same for the rest of your family.

Seth,

Thanks for the info and I am more of looking for a viewpoint of the ocean outside the city.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:32 pm

Jerry, for that you'll probably ave to head out to the Rockaways or out to Long Island.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:30 am

I am going to be there this Monday thru Wednesday for business, but I will get a little time to play Smile I will probably head to Times Square again and haven't been to ground Zero, yet, so maybe I will do that too.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:38 am

Rockefeller Center, a great Jewish Deli (someone here should be abe to give you a name), the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and of course, Bloomingdales.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:09 pm

Chinatown. ... What a Face

But no, seriously. It's a pretty cool little bustling area, you've got the Manhattan/Brooklyn Bridges close by, as well as Little Italy tucked in there. Only a short walk to SoHo, too.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:07 pm

Rockaways if you want to get out of the city.

But you have to walk the Brooklyn Bridge. It's awesome. And if the line is manageable grab a slice at Grimaldi's on the Brooklyn side.
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down