365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

JFK 50 Mile

+7
Chris M
T Miller
KBFitz
Michele "1L" Keane
Jeff F
Mark B
wrichman
11 posters

Go down

JFK 50 Mile Empty JFK 50 Mile

Post  wrichman Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:18 am

I haven't been on the boards in awhile (studying for major exam/working/running = very busy), but Kevin prompted me to write a JFK 50 race report.

JFK 50 Mile Race Report 11/17/12
Training/Course for JFK 50:
The JFK 50 course is broken up into 3 sections. First, miles 0-15.5 start in Boonsboro, MD on paved road, and the course quickly climb to the top of South Mountain to join the Appalachian Trail. The first five to six miles climb 1,172 feet from the pavement onto rocky, technical, single-track sections of the AT, which then travels across the mountain’s ridge. After roughly 15 miles, the course drops over 1,000 feet in one mile through a series of steep, rocky switchbacks. Miles 15.5-41.6 are on the Chesapeake & Ohio Canal towpath and follow the Potomac River for 26.3 miles. It’s flat and the scenery doesn’t really change. Miles 41.6 - 50.2 are relatively gentle rolling hills on road finishing in Williamsport, MD. The course is a horseshoe shape.
This was my goal race for the fall (besides a BQ marathon time in mid September). I ran 52.5 miles at Howl at the Moon 8 hour race in early August, so I knew I was capable of a running 7:30 on a limited technical, limited elevation change 50 mile course. I do live and train in Chicago, after all. 3 weeks before JFK 50 I ran a 4:21 50k as a training run. In the weeks leading up to the race I was dealing with some anterior tibial tendonitis, which I could run with as long as I only laced my shoe up half way. I felt confident in my ability to run well on the towpath, but I was very intimidated by the AT section. I set an ambitious “A” goal for sub 8 hours. I knew it would depend on what my elapsed time was coming off the AT. I looked at the splits from last year, and determined that in order to run under 8 hours (leaving enough time for bathroom and aid station stops), I would have to get off the trail by 2:45 into the race. I planned to push as much on the trail without hurting myself for rest of the race.

Prerace:
I had a roller coaster of a race. Friday afternoon my twin sister called and said she was driving up from Richmond with my mom to cheer and crew for me. She hasn't seen me run many races or been really supportive of my running endeavors in the past (my family all lives in Richmond, VA), so I was thrilled for her to support me at my race. They got in around midnight, but I never actually saw them before the race. I laid out all my bags for each stop, extra water, and shoes with specific instructions for them and left it by the door. They have never come to an ultra race, so I was hoping they’d figure it out quickly.

Race: 0-15.5
Everyone gathered in the Boonsboro High School gym for a prerace talk from the race director at 6:20 a.m. and then we walked down to the start line about ½ mile. It was cold – about 29 degrees. Right after I maneuvered my way into the front 1/3rd of the crowd the race started with a BANG! At 7 a.m. We started climbing up the mountain within the first 1.5 miles on the road. I saw a few of my friends take off running, but I decided to take a few 10-30 second walk breaks on the road climbing up to mile 2.5 when we got on the AT. I had to be smart and patient. I hit the port-o-potty before getting on the trail then we ran about 1 mile on runnable trail until mile 3.5 when we started climbing up, up, up paved path for 3 miles. Almost everyone was power hiking up these 2 miles including me. My calves were screaming already and it was only mile 5, which concerned me about how I would feel later in the race. I finally reached the water tower, which is where we joined back up with the trail as it flattens out. I got stuck in a conga line on the rocky and rooty, but runnable trail, but passed a few people and came through Gapland State Park Aid Station at 9.3 knowing that I had the worst part of the trail to come. The next 6 miles of trail was runnable, but there were lots of various sized rocks jutting out just waiting for me to trip on. I started to fall once, but the guy behind me magically picked me up before I could make full contact. Thank you, trail angle. I still managed to face plant once, roll my ankle 3 times, and have a few close calls on some rocks. When the trail was smoother, I would speed up and pass a few runners. I heard some one call me a gazelle, and I laughed and told him to just wait until the rocks again. The ½ mile section right before Weverton Cliffs was the worst rocky part – there were rocks everywhere. We don’t have anything like that in Chicago land! Taking my eyes off the trail to look at my watch was a big risk, so I didn’t really know what my elapsed time was. When I ran by a photographer I said to him, “There’s no way I’m looking up and smiling at you.” Finally I reached the cliffs and headed down passing one or two runners. As I sped up on a flat section, I caught my toe and went flying forward on my face. I was glad I had gloves on and that I didn’t go flying over the cliff like my friend Laurie did last year. She broke her finger and still finish in stellar time. Bad ass. About half way down the cliffs I could hear spectators cheering, and I started chocking back tears in anticipation of seeing my mom and sister. Way to be tough, I thought. All of a sudden, I popped out of the trail in front of a crow of spectators and looked for my mom and sister on my left where I instructed them to stand. I saw them and gave my mom and hug, handed her my handheld, and told them to have my road shoes ready to change at mile 27 stop. We continued on a single track trail for about 3/4th of a mile to connect to the towpath. A volunteer was on the track and warned about the roots sticking up. I responded, “You mean I can still fall?” Then 30 seconds later I did. Of course. My stomach hadn’t been feeling good for the past few miles, so I was relieved to see port-o-potties at the aid station before the towpath. After a 2 minute stop, I grabbed a cup of Gatorade and water and took off down the towpath with my stomach at ease.

C&O Towpath 15.5-41.6
I finally glanced at my watch when I crossed the timing mat at the start of the towpath and saw 2:54:xx. Shit. I reserved myself to a sub 8:30 finish; however, I also knew I could run well on the flat towpath and if I felt ok then I could get close to 8 hours. I thought of my ultra mantra, “If you never try, you’ll never know.” It would be a painful battle back, but I’m good at pushing through pain. On the towpath I was glad to be off the rocky trail, but I quickly realized that it had beat my legs up pretty good. Realizing that I still had 34 miles to go and not feeling good was difficult to get my head around. I also knew, however, that in ultras I would probably hit many lows and highs throughout the race. I ate a few chocolate covered espresso beans and tried to settle into a pace that felt like a training run. It was still very early in the race. Be patient. Even though I didn’t feel great I was passing a lot runners. Some of them had orange bibs on their backs, which indicated they were 5am starters (vs. 7am). I was amazed at how many older folks were out there walking, running, shuffling, and plugging away. I tried to cheer words of encouragement as I passed by – they were going out be out there for a very long time. At some point I stubbed my toe on a tree root and flew forward on my face. Yes, on the non technical towpath, thank you. As I ran into the mile 27 aid station (4:30 elapsed time) a lot of the spectators commented on how strong I looked and that I had a great pace, which helped boost my mental strength. I saw my mom at Mile 27 aid station, and she ran with me to where my sister was with my shoes. They cut the timing ship off my trail shoes, put it on my road shoes, and I was up and off within 30-45 seconds. After this aid station I slowly started to get my legs back and focus in on the race. I was more than half way, which always mentally motivates me. I took two Midol (Tylenol AND caffeine in one!) My body hurt, but I started to pass more and more runners, which became something for me to focus on. At mile 30 I looked at my watch and calculated that I had 3 hours and 2 minutes to run the next 20.2 miles. I can do that on a training run, no problem, but this was after 30 miles. “Focus - just keep picking people to pass,” I told myself. I also realized when I passed the next aid station that my GPS was about ½ mile ahead of the actual course distance so I had less time than I thought. Around mile 33 I passed a guy who had previously passed me around mile 23. He told me I was running a smart race, and I responded that we still had a long way to go. He asked me what my goal was and I told him that it had been sub 8 hours, but after the trail section it was probably more like 8:30. He looked at his watch and then said, “If you run sub 9 minute miles the rest of the race, then you could probably do it.” Fuck, you’re right. Just do what you know how to do.
The miles were ticking by, I kept passing runners, and by mile 35 I realized that I only had 15 more to go – a little over 2 hours. I can put up with this pain for 2 more hours.
My overall pace was slowly dropping so when I saw my mom and sister at 38 Special aid station, I told them I increased my goal to sub 8:10. I passed my friend, Laurie, at mile 38 aid station. Although I wanted to pass as many women as possible, I did not want to pass Laurie. I knew she’d been trying to run sub 8 hours for a few years at this race, and I kept hoping she’d blow by me towards the end. After the 38 Special aid station I only had about 3 miles left on the path until I hit the road. I hurt like hell, but I was running well pulling in low 8 minute miles. I remember taking a calming breath and saying out loud to myself, “You can do this. You got this.” A few runners commented on my pace and cheered me on as I passed them. Ultra runners are such a supportive bunch, I love them. I didn't find the towpath boring like many runners do, but I like running alone anyway. I got a lot of songs stuck in my head though which became a bit annoying. Headphones were not allowed in the race – you would be pulled from the race if you were caught wearing them. Towards the end of the path I couldn't see anyone ahead or behind me - I felt like I was out on a training run or something. 26.3 towpath section in 3:45ish.

Road 41.6-50.2
When I hit the road I walked the big hill, which looked like a mountain. My quads were on fire. I knew for a fact that I had to run sub 9 min. miles for the last 8 to break 8 hrs. At the 7 to go marker I told myself it was only one more hour. I’ve already done 7 hours, I can do one more. On the rolling hills I could see 1/2 mile in front of me which sucked - those little orange mile markers counting down to the end were so far off in the distance! I kept my strategy of reeling other runners in and focused on that. At the mile 46 aid station I saw my mom and sis for the last time. They told me I’d been speeding up and they hadn't expected me so soon. Good.I told them I was now shooting for 8 hours, but it was going to be very close and very painful. My mom told me, “You look strong!” which I laughed at because I specifically instructed her to say it even if I looked awful. During last 4 miles there was a spectator/coach who kept driving and stopping to cheer a guy running right behind me (which is actually against the rules of this race because the road is so narrow). Each time he got out of the car he’d say something to me about how I could run sub 8 if I “picked it up a little”. No shit, buddy. I wanted to punch him. I kept responding, “I’m trying.” With one mile to go my Garmin 610 watch battery died, so I didn't know my pace or if I would make my goal. Talk about suspenseful. I crested the hill .3 before the finish, and as I got closer I saw the clock was at 7:5x:xx. It was hard to read, but then when I was about .2 away I heard the announcer say another finisher's name and "7:57:xx"."Oh hell no, there is no way this is not happening!" I ran as hard as I could the last .2 - amazingly, I had a finishing kick left. I saw my mom and sis cheering, and vividly remembering looking right at them, smiling the biggest damn smile I ever have, and pumping my first in the air. I crossed the finish line, stopped running, and almost fell right over dizzy and in disbelief that I pulled it off. 7:58:41. I did it.

Post Race
In the gym after the race a few runners I had passed came up and congratulated me on my well run race. I'm proud of myself for battling back for 34 miles and never letting up. That was a hard earned time. Ended up 14th female (don’t know total female – 300?), 8/73 division and 94/967 finishers. From mile 15.5 – 50.2 no one passed me (only 3 guys passed me, but I passed them back later in the race). Looking at the timing mat splits, I had one of the slowest times coming off the trail out of the top 200 runners, so I must have passed at least 100 runners after the AT.
Max King and Ellie Greenwood won the men’s and women’s races, both setting new course records (Max by 6 minutes and Ellie by 19 minutes!). For the first time ever, 5 guys run sub 6 hours. Insane.

Perhaps the best part of the whole race and day was being able to share it with my mom and sister. Having their support and finally seeing me do what I love was an amazing feeling, and I’m so grateful they came to my race.
wrichman
wrichman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

JFK 50 Mile Empty Re: JFK 50 Mile

Post  Mark B Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:01 am

Congrats on the sub-8 finish, WendyWHITNEY! And thanks for letting us inside your head through this great race report. It was very educational, and it had me on the edge of my seat until the end. Nicely done! Approval

Last edited by Mark B on Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff F Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:33 pm

"...a little over 2 hours. I can put up with this pain for 2 more hours."

Something you hear only from a strong ultra runner.

Loved your race report, what a great effort!

Missed you at Howl this year; are you coming back in 2013?
Jeff F
Jeff F
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:34 pm

Wow, Whitney - that is freaking amazing! Congratulations! Rest up and recover - you deserve it.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  KBFitz Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:54 pm

Sublime, Ms. Richman. Simply sublime. Your strong performance over the length of the C&O canal towpath sealed the deal for you. Most of us come undone on that towpath. But you did not. You kept your head in the game and your feet on the ground (mostly Razz). Brilliant performance for your first go at the JFK 50. Just to let you know --the AT section does get more negotiable with a little experience. While turning my ankles on the AT forced me out in 2008 and aggravated my old ankle injury in 2009, I didn't turn my ankles at all in 2010 or 2012. So there is hope. Let us know if you'll be back. You would be most welcome. Three Cheers!
KBFitz
KBFitz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:44 am

Loved your report Whitney. I feel like I got a real sense of what it was like during the different stages of the event. You had an exceptional performance and for that I congratulate you. Your report was especially touching with respect to your family members coming out to cheer you on. It seems that they caught on rather quickly and did essentially everything that you expected of them.

I plan to run my first 50 in the spring (Indiana Trail 100) and hope I fair half as well as you.

Hope to meet up with you sometime in the future.
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  wrichman Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:19 am

Mark B wrote:Congrats on the sub-8 finish, Wendy! And thanks for letting us inside your head through this great race report. It was very educational, and it had me on the edge of my seat until the end. Nicely done! Approval
Thanks!...Whitney, not Wendy. But I could be a Wendy, and then when I'm running really well I can sing, "I can fly, I can fly..." from Peter Pan Smile

Jeff F wrote:"...a little over 2 hours. I can put up with this pain for 2 more hours."

Something you hear only from a strong ultra runner.

Loved your race report, what a great effort!

Missed you at Howl this year; are you coming back in 2013?
Thank you, Jeff. I laughed at the 2 hour thing b/c I actually thought that with 5 hours to go as well. I'd like to do Howl again next year - depends on other races/personal stuff. It's only a 3 1/2 hour drive, so I don't have to make travel plans.

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Wow, Whitney - that is freaking amazing! Congratulations! Rest up and recover - you deserve it.
Thanks Michelle! I'm running my first 100 miler in mid January, so back into training I go (easing back into it of course)...

KBFitz wrote:Sublime, Ms. Richman. Simply sublime. Your strong performance over the length of the C&O canal towpath sealed the deal for you. Most of us come undone on that towpath. But you did not. You kept your head in the game and your feet on the ground (mostly Razz). Brilliant performance for your first go at the JFK 50. Just to let you know --the AT section does get more negotiable with a little experience. While turning my ankles on the AT forced me out in 2008 and aggravated my old ankle injury in 2009, I didn't turn my ankles at all in 2010 or 2012. So there is hope. Let us know if you'll be back. You would be most welcome. Three Cheers!
Thanks Kevin. Obviously you know the challenges of that race. I wish I'd managed a whole summersault during one of my falls like you. I would do JFK again....I just wish there was a trail around Chicago that is more like the AT to train on.

T Miller wrote:Loved your report Whitney. I feel like I got a real sense of what it was like during the different stages of the event. You had an exceptional performance and for that I congratulate you. Your report was especially touching with respect to your family members coming out to cheer you on. It seems that they caught on rather quickly and did essentially everything that you expected of them.

I plan to run my first 50 in the spring (Indiana Trail 100) and hope I fair half as well as you.

Hope to meet up with you sometime in the future.
Thanks Tim - having my mom and sister there was so touching. I have a few friends running the Indiana 50 or 100 next year as well. You live in the Chicago/Indiana area I think? Do you know of The New Leaf Ultra Runners group? We have a Facebook page - it's free and there's almost 600 members in the area. Just request to join or I can add you. We have lots of group runs, Fatass 50ks and such, and there's always a few people at the regional ultras. Plus, lots of experienced ultra runners, so when you have a question you get loads of answers/advice.
wrichman
wrichman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:37 am

wrichman wrote:
Mark B wrote:Congrats on the sub-8 finish, Wendy! And thanks for letting us inside your head through this great race report. It was very educational, and it had me on the edge of my seat until the end. Nicely done! Approval
Thanks!...Whitney, not Wendy. But I could be a Wendy, and then when I'm running really well I can sing, "I can fly, I can fly..." from Peter Pan Smile

JFK 50 Mile Facepa11
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:43 am

Wow. Just wow. That was a fantastic read and super description of a race really really really well run. Great job of executing a race.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:49 am

wrichman wrote:
Thanks Tim - having my mom and sister there was so touching. I have a few friends running the Indiana 50 or 100 next year as well. You live in the Chicago/Indiana area I think? Do you know of The New Leaf Ultra Runners group? We have a Facebook page - it's free and there's almost 600 members in the area. Just request to join or I can add you. We have lots of group runs, Fatass 50ks and such, and there's always a few people at the regional ultras. Plus, lots of experienced ultra runners, so when you have a question you get loads of answers/advice.

OK Great, thanks for the info. I just requested to join the group. Yea, I'm in Southern Indiana so I don't know how many runs are in my area but we do have lots of trails. I'm running a local event called the Tecumseh Trail Marathon tomorrow.

T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff F Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:27 pm

[quote="T Miller"]
wrichman wrote:
I'm running a local event called the Tecumseh Trail Marathon tomorrow.

Tim, good luck with Tecumseh. Looks like another perfect day this year. Now I wish I would have trained for this...maybe I will be back next year.
Jeff F
Jeff F
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:53 pm

Absolutely phenomenal effort and well-earned.

Congratulations on a great race.
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:16 pm

Whitney, I'm in awe. I ran the Mountain Mist 50k at the other end of the AT down in Alabama a few years ago, and I can't imagine putting in a sub-8 hour effort for 50 miles after running the first 1/3 over that kind of rocky, root-filled terrain. Great job!!

Hey, did you also have leaf litter hiding the nasty roots and rocks?
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:13 pm

I'm so impressed. Loved the report. I'm not sure I could have such recall after going thru such an ordeal. I've never run that far and so thinking only 2 hours to go after 6 hours is an unfathomable thought to me. Congrats!!
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  wrichman Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:06 pm

Chris M wrote:Wow. Just wow. That was a fantastic read and super description of a race really really really well run. Great job of executing a race.
Thanks Chris!

T Miller wrote:
wrichman wrote:

OK Great, thanks for the info. I just requested to join the group. Yea, I'm in Southern Indiana so I don't know how many runs are in my area but we do have lots of trails. I'm running a local event called the Tecumseh Trail Marathon tomorrow.

Good luck tomorrow - there's a few New Leafers running...a bit slower than you though.

Ben Z wrote:Absolutely phenomenal effort and well-earned.

Congratulations on a great race.

Thanks Ben!

Diego wrote:Whitney, I'm in awe. I ran the Mountain Mist 50k at the other end of the AT down in Alabama a few years ago, and I can't imagine putting in a sub-8 hour effort for 50 miles after running the first 1/3 over that kind of rocky, root-filled terrain. Great job!!

Hey, did you also have leaf litter hiding the nasty roots and rocks?
Thank you - yes, I forgot to mention all those leaves covering the rocks that you couldn't see. Sometimes you'd put your foot down and hope you weren't landing on a sharp one. Oddly enough, I managed to trip on a little root during my run today and give myself a decent 6 inch. scrape and goose egg on my shin. (not on the AT). sigh.

mountandog wrote:I'm so impressed. Loved the report. I'm not sure I could have such recall after going thru such an ordeal. I've never run that far and so thinking only 2 hours to go after 6 hours is an unfathomable thought to me. Congrats!!
Thanks - you may surprise yourself (in a good way) if you tried....it's all relative.
wrichman
wrichman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  wrichman Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:15 pm

Mark B wrote:Congrats on the sub-8 finish, WendyWHITNEY! And thanks for letting us inside your head through this great race report. It was very educational, and it had me on the edge of my seat until the end. Nicely done! Approval

lol! no worries
wrichman
wrichman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:20 am

Awesome job. Sub 8 is incredible.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse