365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Now What To Do???

+19
jon c
nkrichards
Seth Harrison
Dave Wolfe
Chris M
JohnP
Kenny B.
mul21
Mark B
fostever
mountandog
Ben Z
Julie
John Kilpatrick
Bob
dot520
Jerry
Michele "1L" Keane
Nick Morris
23 posters

Page 3 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Now What To Do??? - Page 3 Empty Re: Now What To Do???

Post  Chris M Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:29 pm

Nick Morris wrote:
Chris M wrote:Wow - sounds identical to the knee issue I've been battling for a couple of months now that derailed me in Tucson. I had an MRI done and return to the doctor on Tuesday. The preliminary take is that I have a torn medial meniscus on the right knee. Just like you said, dull ache on the inside right knee. It got real bad when I tried to pile on lots of mileage or run downhill. I'll let you know what the official word and plan ends up being on mine.

Did you/do you only feel it when you run? Is it normal when you are sitting, walking, or standing?

It is fine when I'm not doing anything or putting any weight on it. And if I run, it will often get better as the run progresses and I get fully warmed up. I really only feel it hurt a lot going downhill. But post-run if I sit around for an hour or two and then try and get up and walk anywhere.....OUCH. Can't walk at all without a limp for 1-2 days after any real run I do right now. Very frustrating.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:48 pm

Chris M wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:
Chris M wrote:Wow - sounds identical to the knee issue I've been battling for a couple of months now that derailed me in Tucson. I had an MRI done and return to the doctor on Tuesday. The preliminary take is that I have a torn medial meniscus on the right knee. Just like you said, dull ache on the inside right knee. It got real bad when I tried to pile on lots of mileage or run downhill. I'll let you know what the official word and plan ends up being on mine.

Did you/do you only feel it when you run? Is it normal when you are sitting, walking, or standing?

It is fine when I'm not doing anything or putting any weight on it. And if I run, it will often get better as the run progresses and I get fully warmed up. I really only feel it hurt a lot going downhill. But post-run if I sit around for an hour or two and then try and get up and walk anywhere.....OUCH. Can't walk at all without a limp for 1-2 days after any real run I do right now. Very frustrating.

That sounds a little different that mine, as I can walk without out any discomfort. It is only when I run that I feel anything. I am hoping that it is only inflammation in the tendon (mcl) brought on by tight quad and/or adductor...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:25 pm

Wow, what bummer news for both of you. Nick, sounds like maybe stretching and rolling the IT band might help. I assume your hips are strong. Any idea what brought this on? It seems so sudden.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:38 pm

JohnP wrote:Wow, what bummer news for both of you. Nick, sounds like maybe stretching and rolling the IT band might help. I assume your hips are strong. Any idea what brought this on? It seems so sudden.

No, it is not like I haven't been running for the last two months. My intensity has stayed the same and I had been doing 8-10 miles for long runs.

I also do stretch and use a foam roller and a softball for more trigger point.

I am kinda bummed Sad
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:40 pm

So, I got some ART (Active Release Technique) treatment done this afternoon and then got in 35 minutes on the eliptical. I used my heart rate to monitor the intensity of my workout. The plan is to continue using the eliptical and testing it out again on thursday. If it is still an issue, I have another ART treatment scheduled for Friday.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:37 pm

The knee felt great yesterday, only one day after getting ART done. It took a lot of will power to not try to test it out yesterday at the gym. My plan is to continue with the elliptical tonight and then test it out tomorrow. I have another ART appointment scheduled for Friday, just in case I still feel it. Although, I may get one more treatment done anyways even if I don't have any issues with knee. You know, for good measure Smile
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:48 pm

Another 45 minutes on the elliptical tonight. I got my HR up to the low 140s, which is a pretty good work out for me (Max = 185). Things are feeling good and tomorrow will be a test run.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:51 am

Did the ART guy give you a clue as to the issue? Tight quads? ITB?
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:28 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Did the ART guy give you a clue as to the issue? Tight quads? ITB?

For the most part yes. There are a lot of different muscles that are in play. My lower quad just above the inside knee was a little tight. It is definitely a difficult muscle to keep loose, outside of rolling.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:47 pm

I guessed as much as when my knee hurts it is usually the quad muscle that is on the inside. I have found that ART works, so I hope it does for you as well.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:57 pm

So, I tested it out tonight on the indoor track. I put a mile in and I must say that i really didn't feel it that much if at all in my knee. It is really hard to tell, because I am so conscious of my right knee and fearful to really give it. I went a mile and felt good, but I am still going to get another ART session in tomorrow after work. Hopefully I have turned a corner and will be back at it sooner than later.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:43 pm

I got another session of ART last evening. I took the evening off, but am now on my way to the gym to put in at least an hour on the elliptical. If I am feeling good a I may hit up the track for a mile or so...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:29 pm

Great workout this morning at the gym. I put in 65 minutes on the elliptical and felt good, so I decided to ru a little bit, too. I put in 2 miles at an easy 8 minute pace with no discomfort in the knee Smile It's the farthest I have gone in the last two weeks without discomfort Smile The plan moving forward...I am still going to take it easy this coming week. I want to ease myself back into the swing of things. If I am feeling good next Saturday, then I will head back outdoors and try to get some distance back into my legs.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:23 pm

Good news Nick
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Wolfe Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:54 am

Loved the photos. Sounds like the knee is improving.
Dave Wolfe
Dave Wolfe
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:04 pm

Are you doing anything for your hips, glutes or lower back? I find that those areas are the source of most of my issues when I don't pay enough attention to them.

At any rate, good to hear things are improving and you've been able to run a bit.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:15 pm

JohnP wrote:Good news Nick

Dave Wolfe wrote:Loved the photos. Sounds like the knee is improving.

mul21 wrote:Are you doing anything for your hips, glutes or lower back? I find that those areas are the source of most of my issues when I don't pay enough attention to them.

At any rate, good to hear things are improving and you've been able to run a bit.

Thanks guys...baby steps...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:15 pm

45 minutes on the elliptical this evening. Followed by another 2 miles of running. This time I stepped it up a notch and ran at a 7:38 pace and I am glad to report that I had no issues...YAY!! I am going to take tomorrow off from running/cardio and just focus on my normal weight training. Then Tuesday, my plan is to try to go three miles with no discomfort. If all goes as plan, then I will be out running 6 miles or so by Saturday.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:30 pm

Took the night off from running, but did my usual weight training routine. Tomorrow it is supposed to be 50, so maybe I will try to get outside for three miles.

Today was also a great day, as three new pairs of shoes were waiting for me by my front door Smile I got the Mizuno Wave Elixir 8s, Mizuno Wave Ronin 5s, and Mizuno Wave Ronin 4s. The Ronin 4s are the shoes that I ran my last marathon with. They were on clearance, so I picked up another pair on the cheap. Man how I love the smell of new shoes!!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:19 pm

Guess who ran three miles tonight without any discomfort in the knee?? That's right, this guy!! I never thought that I would be so happy to say that I ran three miles, but it is the farthest that I have ran in a little over two weeks. It's a great sign that things are coming back together. I will also continue to monitor things until the weekend and if I still feel good, I will bump it up to 8 miles on Saturday.

On a side note, I got to break in a new pair of shoes tonight Smile Love it!!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Wolfe Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:02 am

New shoes, improving knee, what more could you ask for. Great news on the knee -- hope it continues to improve.
Dave Wolfe
Dave Wolfe
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:17 am

Woot! Great news! Now just keep working it up gradually, and you'll keep that smile on your face. Approval
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:13 am

Heading out now for an eight mile run. My fingers are crossed Suspect
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:20 pm

Woo hoo!!! I made it through eight miles with nothing to worry about cheers

FYI...-10 degree wind chills suck ass!!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:58 pm

Nick Morris wrote:Woo hoo!!! I made it through eight miles with nothing to worry about cheers

FYI...-10 degree wind chills suck ass!!!

Woohoo! Cold here, but no real wind in the valley.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum