365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Now What To Do???

+19
jon c
nkrichards
Seth Harrison
Dave Wolfe
Chris M
JohnP
Kenny B.
mul21
Mark B
fostever
mountandog
Ben Z
Julie
John Kilpatrick
Bob
dot520
Jerry
Michele "1L" Keane
Nick Morris
23 posters

Page 2 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Now What To Do??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Now What To Do???

Post  Nick Morris Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:56 pm

So...I think that I have narrowed down my spring marathon choices. They are:

Pocono Run for the Red Marathon - 5/19
http://poconomarathon.org/

Glass City Marathon - 4/28
http://www.glasscitymarathon.org/

Eugene Marathon -
http://eugenemarathon.com/ - 4/28

I am leaning towards the Pocono Marathon...Has anyone ran any of these races or know anyone that has?
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:59 pm

I know several people who have run Glass City - what do you want to know? I can quiz them on tomorrow's run.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:01 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:I know several people who have run Glass City - what do you want to know? I can quiz them on tomorrow's run.

I have heard that the traffic/parking at the start is not very organized. It is also pretty flat, are ther any tricky areas to the course? Challenging hills??
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:37 pm

Ok, no complaints from the group as they all liked Glass City. I was told that it was flat and fast and that they would recommend it. Not sure if you remember Paula Sue who used to post back on Hal's boards and here some, but she is from western Ohio and recommended the course as well. Apparently, it is not windy like Cleveland can be but just as flat.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:38 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Ok, no complaints from the group as they all liked Glass City. I was told that it was flat and fast and that they would recommend it. Not sure if you remember Paula Sue who used to post back on Hal's boards and here some, but she is from western Ohio and recommended the course as well. Apparently, it is not windy like Cleveland can be but just as flat.

Cool...Thanks!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:00 pm

Starting to ramp it back up, as I completed back to back 8 mile days this morning. Training will be starting within the next week or so Smile
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:12 pm

I know Mark B has had good things to say about Eugene, and finishing on the Hayward Field track would be pretty sweet.

If you plan on running a fall marathon, let me know what you're thinking and perhaps we can get a group together. I think MCM may be on my short list.

I know the feeling you had this weekend! I did some intervals on Saturday and 8 on Sunday. I felt like an actual runner again.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:19 pm

If I can pull things together, I'd like to simply complete another marathon - Glass City looks like it might be a good laid-back marathon to try. Hmmmmmmm....

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:00 pm

Ok, if you all come up to Toledo, I'll make sure to drive over and cheer - maybe the Mudhens will be in town (yes, they really exist).
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:52 am

mul21 wrote:I know Mark B has had good things to say about Eugene, and finishing on the Hayward Field track would be pretty sweet.

If you plan on running a fall marathon, let me know what you're thinking and perhaps we can get a group together. I think MCM may be on my short list.

I know the feeling you had this weekend! I did some intervals on Saturday and 8 on Sunday. I felt like an actual runner again.

Marine Corp Marathon may be doable. My birthday is that weekend and what better way to celebrate Smile
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:53 pm

Nick - are you training now for the marathon in Maine?
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:41 pm

Kenny B. wrote:Nick - are you training now for the marathon in Maine?

No, I have ruled out Maine. The transportation just to get there is a disaster. I am thinking either the Poconos, Toledo, or Eugene.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:00 pm

Nick Morris wrote:

No, I have ruled out Maine. The transportation just to get there is a disaster. I am thinking either the Poconos, Toledo, or Eugene.

Eugene I researched seemed really good choice. Fast course finishes I believe in the famous stadium that's cool. Weather could be decent.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:43 pm

Nick Morris wrote:

I was looking at fall options yesterday and may have ruled out even attempting to get into St. George because of it. There's just no good way to fly in there from St. Louis and the next best option was flying into Vegas and driving the 2 hours up there.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:03 pm

mul21 wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:

I was looking at fall options yesterday and may have ruled out even attempting to get into St. George because of it. There's just no good way to fly in there from St. Louis and the next best option was flying into Vegas and driving the 2 hours up there.

Plus, it is a lottery...luckily I can fly from Madison directly to St. George if I ever do plan to run that race.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:28 pm

8.75 miles this morning and 10 more tomorrow. After that it is go time as I start training again...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:28 pm

Wow, I thought the Pocono marathon would be pretty hilly but instead I see it is a huge downhill marathon. Reading some comments on marathonguide shows it is a bit hilly but it got good ratings. I didn't even know they had one there. When will you decide which one? Do any sell out?
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:17 pm

JohnP wrote:Wow, I thought the Pocono marathon would be pretty hilly but instead I see it is a huge downhill marathon. Reading some comments on marathonguide shows it is a bit hilly but it got good ratings. I didn't even know they had one there. When will you decide which one? Do any sell out?

I think that Eugene will sell out. The others will probably not or will closer to the race. I think that my training is really going to dictate which race I will run. If I am feeling good early, then I may do one of the earlier races. If not, I may choose the later race. Although, the middle of May scares me. In a sense that the weather may be warm.

I read the review on marathon guide for the Pocono Marathon, too. I guess that the course is challenging both up and downhill. I guess the elevation chart is deceiving. Although, it looks big time downhill to me. We will see...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:24 pm

So, this past week was supposed to be Week 1 of my training cycle. Unfortunately I felt something in my right knee last Sunday durning a 10 mile run. I ended up shutting it down about 9.5 miles into the run, because I didn't want to hirt anything. I also took the week off from running. I tested it out with a mile run at the gym on Friday and things seemed alright. From that, I decided to run on it yesterday. About a mile into the run, I knew something still wasn't right. So, I turned around and shut it down after two miles.

It is not a sharp pain, but more of a dull ache on the inside of my right knee. It seems to act up when I run for a little while. I also felt it today when I tried to ride the bike at the gym. I don't feel anything when I walk. I also found that I don't feel it when using the eliptical.

So, today at the gym I got in a good 40 minutes on the eliptical. It is my first time every using this machine, but I want to try to keep my cardio fitness up. Being that I have never used an eliptical before, how does it translate when converted to running? Meaning how much do I have to do on an eliptical to simulate a run (if possible).

What does all of this mean?? It means that I will more than likely have to take at least another week off from running. It means that I will be behind in my training, but I will try to maintain some type of cardiac fitness while I get this thing healed.

I plan on getting some therapy done on it this week. It is a little frustrating to have something come up, especially since I have been healthy for a year and a half.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:40 pm

Wow - sounds identical to the knee issue I've been battling for a couple of months now that derailed me in Tucson. I had an MRI done and return to the doctor on Tuesday. The preliminary take is that I have a torn medial meniscus on the right knee. Just like you said, dull ache on the inside right knee. It got real bad when I tried to pile on lots of mileage or run downhill. I'll let you know what the official word and plan ends up being on mine.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:54 pm

Chris M wrote:Wow - sounds identical to the knee issue I've been battling for a couple of months now that derailed me in Tucson. I had an MRI done and return to the doctor on Tuesday. The preliminary take is that I have a torn medial meniscus on the right knee. Just like you said, dull ache on the inside right knee. It got real bad when I tried to pile on lots of mileage or run downhill. I'll let you know what the official word and plan ends up being on mine.

Did you/do you only feel it when you run? Is it normal when you are sitting, walking, or standing?
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:24 pm

That's a heck of a way to start a new training cycle! It's a good sign that it doesn't bother you on the E machine and your cardio can easily be maintained using it. Not sure about the equivalency question that you had.
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:28 pm

Sounds really similar to a feeling I was having over the summer. Does it feel like it needs to pop if you do a deep knee bend?

My remedy was a knee brace while running. I even wore it for the first 12 miles of my first 20 of my fall cycle. Get one with a knee hole in it if you decide to and see how it feels.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:30 pm

mul21 wrote:Sounds really similar to a feeling I was having over the summer. Does it feel like it needs to pop if you do a deep knee bend?

My remedy was a knee brace while running. I even wore it for the first 12 miles of my first 20 of my fall cycle. Get one with a knee hole in it if you decide to and see how it feels.

No, it doesn't really feel like it needs to pop, but maybe a knee brace would stabilize things.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:16 am

Just be careful with a knee brace. I just say that because I had carpal tunnel and tendinitis in college and wore wrist braces all day for about 2 yrs. I became so weak I could barely hold a cup or brush my hair without intense pain. It helps support the joint but it can also really weaken it if you don't need it. It might be different with running if you're just wearing it during the run, though.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum