365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Massage as component of training plan?

+9
Peg Coover
Chris Coleman
Chris M
JohnP
Mike MacLellan
carleenp
Michele "1L" Keane
EugeneGreenie
dot520
13 posters

Go down

Massage as component of training plan? Empty Massage as component of training plan?

Post  dot520 Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:03 pm

I'm curious who here has regular massages by a certified massage therapist or chiropractor type during training.

I was working with a personal training once a week for 2.5 years to assist in strengthening my upper body and core. It's been almost a year since I've worked with her. I saw benefits to my running but not sure if I really saw less injury or niggles.

Today I cashed in a gift certificate for an hour massage over at St. Francis Hospital. The gal spent a significant amount of time on my various glute muscles, itb, psoasis, hamstrings etc and I feel fantastic. The more I've been running the tighter I am strung even with my own dynamic stretching and foam rolling.

So...I pose the question...does anyone here use massage on a regular basis (biweekly, monthly or during specific periods)? I'm thinking of incorporating 30 minute specific massage twice a month or so during my aerobic base building this winter. If money were no object I'd go weekly.
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Massage as component of training plan? Empty Re: Massage as component of training plan?

Post  EugeneGreenie Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:29 pm

Dot,

I get a massage about every two to three weeks...more during training up and less during non-training times. My MT is also my bestie, and she knows my body really well.

It is worth every penny, as she will also suggest exercises when she notices tightness or unevenness.

I also go to a yoga class every couple of weeks, to remind myself what flexible is.

I know that I would be able to run without getting massage, but it really does help to move toxins out of sore muscles.

E Greenie<--woohoo, running in the rain is fun!
EugeneGreenie
EugeneGreenie
Poster
Poster

http://traniningup.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Massage as component of training plan? Empty Re: Massage as component of training plan?

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:39 pm

Eliza said it all. I can tell when I have not had one for a while. If you have found a good therapist, then hang on to her - a good massage is worth every penny and then some.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:49 pm

I get monthly massages when my miles are low and bi-weekly or even weekly when they are high. I find that it really helps with my recovery from long runs and I notice when I don't go for awhile.
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

http://beautyandfashiontech.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:29 pm

Never.

Unless you count some self-care when my foot threatens tendinitis.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:03 am

I could tell yesterday when I ran that whatever sort of 'releases' she did at the hip/glute area made a difference in how I felt running. That said, I feel a bit bruised (no noticeable marks) from the extremely strong thumbs this gal has. I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on a 30 minute massage every two weeks during my base building. Fortunately, she's versed in sports massage as well as deep tissue and knows to ask me what sort of running I'll be doing prior to coming in to see her.
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:39 am

Go for it Dot. I also agree with the above and try to have regular massages during training. It really helps.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:50 am

Mike MacLellan wrote:Never.

Unless you count some self-care when my foot threatens tendinitis.

"Never" says the 25 year old. He will revise the answer to this question in 20-30 years and for now his answer should be thrown out!

My take? They clearly help and if you can afford them, you'll train better with regular massage treatments. There's a reason that pros, who are both young and don't have a lot of money relatively speaking, still pay to have regular treatments.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:07 am

Chris - Nah, I'll just run less/slower. Or move to the bike. Just don't have the mindset to justify that much cash going into such a thing.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Coleman Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:22 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:Chris - Nah, I'll just run less/slower. Or move to the bike. Just don't have the mindset to justify that much cash going into such a thing.
I don't feel too strongly about the importance of massage, provided you are really conscientious about stretching. But what's behind the defeatism, "I'll just run less/slower"? Yes, you will run slower, but please don't let it be exacerbated by something you neglected in your youth. For my first massage and my first stretch I was in my fifties, only because I didn't know any better. You do know, and you don't have to accept my propensity for getting injured.
Chris Coleman
Chris Coleman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:40 pm

Chris Coleman wrote:
Mike MacLellan wrote:Chris - Nah, I'll just run less/slower. Or move to the bike. Just don't have the mindset to justify that much cash going into such a thing.
I don't feel too strongly about the importance of massage, provided you are really conscientious about stretching. But what's behind the defeatism, "I'll just run less/slower"? Yes, you will run slower, but please don't let it be exacerbated by something you neglected in your youth. For my first massage and my first stretch I was in my fifties, only because I didn't know any better. You do know, and you don't have to accept my propensity for getting injured.

Yeah, I think you should think of the answer to the question as being "what would I do if the cost didn't matter?" The question itself could be rotating shoes, paying to enter races to do as training runs, getting massages, paying to be part of a coached running club, joining a gym just for the mill and XT equipment, buying a Garmin etc. Of course, costs do matter for everyone and will get factored in for whatever you do but if you first conclude that costs aside, rotating shoes and never going beyond 400 miles on a pair is a good thing to do, then you can make it only a cost decision. For massages, if you decide that costs aside they really help your training, then it really is only a decision of whether the cost of it is worth the benefit. And believe me answers like that will change for lots of people as they progress from age 25 to 65! Now, there's always the things you can decide not to do because you don't like them or think they don't help outside of any cost considerations. For me, that's ICE BATHS. Clearly not an expense issue - I just hate them so maybe because of that, I've convinced myself that they don't help.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:02 am

I've only had 3 massages ever. And I also felt "bruised" when done! In fact, there were times when he was working on my arms that I was about to scream "stop" and then he would release just at that moment where I couldn't stand it!

If I get another massage, I think I will request "less" intensity!
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:50 am

Chris M wrote:
Chris Coleman wrote:

Yeah, I think you should think of the answer to the question as being "what would I do if the cost didn't matter?" The question itself could be rotating shoes, paying to enter races to do as training runs, getting massages, paying to be part of a coached running club, joining a gym just for the mill and XT equipment, buying a Garmin etc. Of course, costs do matter for everyone and will get factored in for whatever you do but if you first conclude that costs aside, rotating shoes and never going beyond 400 miles on a pair is a good thing to do, then you can make it only a cost decision. For massages, if you decide that costs aside they really help your training, then it really is only a decision of whether the cost of it is worth the benefit. And believe me answers like that will change for lots of people as they progress from age 25 to 65! Now, there's always the things you can decide not to do because you don't like them or think they don't help outside of any cost considerations. For me, that's ICE BATHS. Clearly not an expense issue - I just hate them so maybe because of that, I've convinced myself that they don't help.

Massage can be helpful IMO as a part of your approach to running/health. As others have stated, finding the right one is important too. You can be sore after an aggressive massage, the body releases a lot of components after massage sometimes that take the body awhile to clean up, thus the soreness.

As far as cost goes, we all have different answers and approaches. To me, people regardless of how much or little money they have will spend it on what they value. In other words, people generally find a way to "afford" what they value. IMO, a persons health should be a huge priority. I am convinced that all of us are going to pay, whether we like it or not. What we have to decide is if we are going to pay on the front end or the back end. Saving money now is great, and most of us aspire to that ideal, but if our health is gone at 40 or 50 or even 60, how much does that ultimately matter? It all seems to come down to what an individual values.
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff F Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:44 pm

Dot,

I am also a fan of regular massages. I have one monthly with a therapist who I believe is more than a masssage therapist; it took me over six months to get on her schedule. She knows my issues and knows how to focus on my needs. She is expensive but worth it.
Jeff F
Jeff F
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:50 pm

Yes, every 2-3 weeks for 60 minutes. I typically get a 'medium' pressure massage as I want to be able to run again the next day.

I also always try to get a deeper tissue massage 3 days before a key race. With all the time I spend on a plane and in an office chair I feel the cost is well worth it.
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:40 am

Used to get them 2 days after my long runs of 20 or more and before a race and no doubt it helps. I have not had one in over a year and it looks like I won't have another one for four more years! scratch
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down