365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leaving Neverland

+12
John Kilpatrick
JohnP
Dave-O
mul21
Michael Enright
Julie
KathyK
Alex Kubacki
Schuey
Michele "1L" Keane
Mark B
Mike MacLellan
16 posters

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Leaving Neverland - Page 5 Empty Re: Leaving Neverland

Post  Mark B Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:49 pm

Nice work on the TT, Mike. Remember, one of the reasons you do this sort of training is to build that mental toughness. You may not be where you want to be yet, but this sort of run is exactly what will help you get there. Now, on to stamina!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:23 pm

Mark - Indeed. Speaking of mental strength...

---

Ugh. Just not in the mood at all. Don't know what it is, but today's run was one of those "I'm going to be 100% aware of every footstep and yard and mile" runs. Got some niggles from my recent 5k effort - my left foot is a little wonky, right groin. The usual whining.

But man. Just don't want to do it. Dunno what's going on. Oh well. Got 6.69mi in 50min done. Only 5 weeks to go, gonna push through this.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:36 pm

Maybe I'm just not cut out for austerity. I mean, we all know I like my order and routine, but sometimes, something's gotta give. Looks like that's what's been going on this week. Too much fiscal/dietary/everything restriction since I got back from DC.

So I went and got some peanut butter and chocolate chips last night.

And proceeded to have a kick-ass run this morning. Okay, so I'll probably never have that completely ripped 6-pack I want. At least not while I'm a runner. But time and time again, this whole midnight snack thing shows itself to be an integral part of my training. Go figure.

10mi w/ 2x 2mi @15k-HM pace today. In practice, that translates to 6:26, 6:18, 6:18, 6:15. 2min recovery between the sets. Felt really good once everything loosened up. I really wanted to go for another interval, but I knew I didn't have it in me today. At least not comfortably. So I decided to hold off on that one and just do what was scheduled.

On the docket: couple short easy runs, an hour-long progression run, and a ladder on Thursday to top off the week.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:53 pm

Nice run, Mike! And I'm not surprised that there's a correlation between naughty midnight snacks and good runs the next day. I've found that topping off the tanks before bed makes a noticeable difference on a long run (or race) the next morning. My guess is, none of the carbs you consume get burned, so they go straight to the glycogen stores.

Normally, it'd be a recipe for weight gain. But if you're going to be out on the roads the next day... go for it!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:19 pm

Thanks Mark! Yep, I've rationalized it much in the same way you have. Really, it's just a matter of having way too much time on my hands to think. Shrug.

---

5.45mi (45min) today. Easy/recovery. Have some nice DOMS from Thurs/yesterday and legs were just bored/done by mile 4 or so. Typical Monday.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:44 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:

That last 200m is why I think I had more to give, because it was my fastest 200m by far. But like I said, I couldn't summon the courage to lay it all out there.

Nor should you have. It was a time trial. Not a race. What you describe is what I call "going into the well." Its very difficult to do, and its nearly impossible to do outside of a race. FWIW, I've never had a time trial that I considered close to simulating a true race effort.

So take it for what its worth - i.e. an indication your training is on track - and move on. Cool
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:59 pm

Dave - You're describing that exact phenomenon I was hoping to get a taste of Thursday. I refer to it as going into the pain cave, but regardless, it's the same. More below.

---

I guess my reason for being so disappointed about not being able to make that leap on Thursday is that since May 2011 I haven't been able to really commit myself to a race when it gets HARD. The trail race I won in August 2011 was a clinch from the start, Boston last year was just a complete fuck-all, and I haven't raced since. Just need a "real" comeback, I guess.

At the same time, I'm not who I was in 2011. I started running in early 2010 as an outlet, a coping mechanism. I was running FROM everything. My first marathon in October 2010 came after what I perceived as a series of personal failures. That was a success, but at what cost? By the time I finished that race, my father and I weren't on speaking terms. We didn't talk until Thanksgiving. Training leading up to OC in 2011 was 100% perfect. I had an extremely supportive family, an extremely supportive group of friends, and minimal responsibility aside from my running. I was mentally and physically committed to my training, 24/7.

Since then, the stars haven't aligned. If the body is there, the mind isn't. If the mind's there, the body is breaking down. This used to worry me, until I realized/decided that it was actually a good thing. I didn't need to prove anything through my running anymore. I didn't need to use running to fill a void. It was hard coming to terms with that (~Sept 2011... oof), but since, running's just been supplemental. When something more important comes up, I can actually prioritize it and put running second.

Food for thought.

---

Hour-long progression today. 20min easy, 15min GA, 10min MP, 5min tempo, 10min cool. Hard to stay completely focused during this one since I was, admittedly, a little hungover. Had a nice gathering over last night for beers, Taco Bell, and some professional debriefing. Ahem. And actually slept in today until 9am. This never happens.

Anyway, it was warm and pretty humid out, so once I hit the MP portion of the run, the pressure really picked up. The tempo portion was a HARD tempo effort, but that translated to a 6:15 pace, so I guess it's not too far off the mark. In fact, all the paces were at or faster than what I was shooting for, and I ran the whole thing by effort. So that was nice.

8mi total.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Neil Ruggiero Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:18 pm

Just like Dave said, I've never been able to replicate race effort outside of a race. And to be honest, TT's scare me almost as much as racing a 10k (god I hate 10k's lol). Good running.

Btw, what made you decide on training for a shorter 10k race?
Neil Ruggiero
Neil Ruggiero
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:31 pm

Ok, Mike - just take a step back and don't worry about it all - it will come. When I was your age, I often drove myself crazy when training didn't go right or I couldn't hit a specific time, but I realized that running isn't really supposed to be that way. Sure I get mad when I think I could have run a race or training run better, but if I sit and analyze it, there was usually a very specific reason that I simply ignored with the main one being that it should be simply about being able to get out there and run. I totally understand not having that other gear as i fear I've lost it for a while myself, but it will reappear. Run for Mike - no one else.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:37 pm

Neil - 10k is a decision of deduction. I wasn't enjoying long runs over the summer and couldn't stomach the thought of 5-7 20-milers before December. Or any, really. I figured a HM was too "easy" for me, since I'm a tempo/distance geared runner. And I don't see the point in paying for or training specifically for a 5k. Too short. Even a 10k seems short, to be honest.

Michele - You are correct.

---

45min easy run today. Amazing what a difference the weather can make. Was sunny and breezy in the low 60s, I want to say. Put in 5.66mi for an average pace of sub-8 at a close-to-recovery effort (no real "effort," but not intentionally keeping myself slow).

Feels good.

Got a ladder workout tomorrow. Looking forward to it. I'm confident.

---

Starting to think about post-10k plans a little bit. Not too much, but just tossing ideas around. Probably will be my last no-other-obligations training cycle for a while, so I want to make it count. I don't know that I am motivated for a marathon yet (though I do find myself wanting to run 20s lately, so...). I'd like to race a half at some point in the early spring. Whether or not that leads to a HIM or marathon or nothing, I don't know.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:32 pm

Wow. That was tough.

Don't know what happened today, but the legs just weren't there from the start. I'm used to them feeling a little flat during my warm-up, but usually after the first 400m, they open up. Not the case today. Just flat, feet slapping the track instead of gliding over it... Okay, so I do know what happened. 20x 400m, a 5k TT, 2x 2mi @HM/15k, and a progression run, all within the last 10 days, happened.

So this one was a mental grind from the first repeat. The workout was 400/800/1200/1600 and back, 10k pace up, 5k pace down, with 400 recoveries except between the 1600s (800 recovery there).

Aaaaand, the splits: 1:30, 2:57, 4:30, 6:00, 5:52, 4:24, 2:50, 1:23.

I don't know how the second interval ended up that fast, but it did. And keeping my head in it for 2 or 1 lap was MUCH easier than 4 or 3 at 5k pace.

But all in all, I think I ran this one pretty well. Granted, the 1600/1200 were a little slow for my supposed 5k time, but they did match last week's effort. So that's nice.

12.18mi total.

I'm tired.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:38 pm

Back at it with a bit of a vengeance today. Not that I've really bombed any of my workouts yet, but I've got that motivation to do everything possible for my training until Thanksgiving. Meaning it's time to tighten up the diet, (try to) cut the booze back, and get some better sleep. All of these related, of course.

I've been doing well so far. Started tracking my macronutrients again to push myself closer to a high-carb (65c-15f-20p as opposed to 55c-25f-20p during base training) diet while eating for fuel rather than simply because it tastes good. Going to be a bit of an adjustment moving my biggest meal of the day to ~10am (after run), but so far it's alright. It doesn't help that Aileen sent me a huge Halloween care package complete with 1.5lb candy corn, ~2lb assorted fun-size candy, and a box of oreos, among other goodies. I'm trying Mark's strategy of the 3-bite dessert, meaning 1 candy, with my afternoon coffee.

---

Anyway, no immediate results yet, really, though my run today was pretty fast for the effort level. 6.75mi to start the week.

13mi progression (3mi warm, 5mi easy/GA, 2mi MP, 3mi tempo?) tomorrow.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:01 pm

If you think getting the diet right is hard in your 20's - just wait until your 40's!
Dave P
Dave P
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:17 pm

Dave - By the time I'm 40, I hope to have accomplished all my fitness goals so I can let myself go. What a Face

---

Well, at least last night's non-sleep wasn't exactly my fault. Roommate had one of his ladyfriends over (he has many, but this is the "main" one) as well as another couple. Between the partying, the TV on very loudly downstairs, and the subsequent argument roommate and ladyfriend got into (hilarious to listen to, by the way), I didn't really get any solid sleep until 2. Then I woke up hungry and out of habit at 6, 7, and finally got up at 8. The hunger + minimal sleep should've given me warning about today's run, but didn't.

Really, today's run was perfect until the tempo miles, and I think I'm even blowing that a little out of proportion. I went out towards the American River, opting to just run there instead of drive (2.5mi each way). After a 3mi warm-up that felt decent enough, I dialed into a focused easy pace for 2mi. Then bumped it up to GA for the next 2mi (ate a granola bar somewhere in here; I need to get more gels for these uptempo runs), and MP for 2mi more. So far, so good. Really strong times, though I did worry I was working a liiiiittle too hard. Just wasn't sure what was in the tank.

Then I hit the tempo miles at about the same time the trail starts to head back up towards suburbia, so each of them was uphill. There's a very steep, very mean kicker right before the parking area where I usually park, so that absolutely blew my legs to pieces. From there on, it was a matter of keeping the wheels on until the end of the tempo interval (3mi total) before trudging a clumsy last mile home.

http://app.strava.com/runs/25706107

You can see where the hill took place during mile 11. I'm encouraged by the GAP splits - they're a little more generous than those on WKO+, but even the latter all had me ~6:15-6:18 for that interval. Considering I was shooting for 6:20-6:25, I guess that's a good thing. The only part I wasn't happy about is how shitty my legs felt when I hit any sort of incline. It was like all impetus just disappeared. I definitely neglected hill training this time around (figured I wouldn't need it due to a flat course) and shouldn't have. Oh well, I'll rebuild those quads after Thanksgiving.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:58 pm

Nothing new to report. Eating enough calories with healthy food is hard. I feel like I'm stuffing myself at every meal in order to down 400-600 calories. And that's 5x/day. But still holding strong to the plan. My mom texted me yesterday with something like, "Taking into consideration that you're in your last month of training, would it be wasteful of me to send baked goodies with your Halloween box?" I told her thank you for accepting my neuroses and that up to a dozen would be fine. What a Face

---

5.5mi in the rain today. Yep, rain! It started last night. Gave me a chance to wear my Boston jacket for the first time as a rain shell. I think it's better as just a cold-weather jacket, since the lining of the neck is that fuzzy warm material, so if it's unzipped at all, we're talking a soggy neck. Still, putting it on reminded me of the marathon last year, how awesome my girlfriend is (didn't even flinch when she dropped a bill on it; my mouth hit the floor when she pulled out her wallet), and made me all proud of my bragging rights.

Anyway, run was slightly fast to start, since I was excited about rain and had some residual muscle memory from yesterday's uptempo work, but I reined it in by the end.

8, 5, and a 10k workout (2x 2mi + 2x 1mi) coming up to end the week.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:05 pm

8mi easy+ (7:30 average) today w/ some strides halfway through and at the end. Just enough to keep the legs turning over without really taxing them. Good thing, too, because my top end is still clunky. I know this is just par for the course while peaking, but it's still a little worrisome and hitting my confidence a bit. Felt a little bonky at the beginning of the run, so I'm gonna be sure to get all my calories in today. I'm a little behind this week without having my chocolate+peanut butter midnight snacks.

Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:44 pm

Can't stop laughing at the roommate story! Again I remember what that was like, my buddy and I lived with 3 girls in college and lets put it this way there was never a lack of late night drama!

As for the run hungry and tired I can again relate with you. For right now the only time I get to run is after work which means all my runs Monday-Thursday are happening between 1:45 and 2:15 in the morning. If I get 6 hours sleep I'm doing great and that only happens if Kristina is in a good mood to sleep in in the morning. Going back a couple weeks my avg. sleep for a 3 week period was 3 hours.

Anyway keep up the good training and keep at the healthy eating! It's tough but once you get it a good pattern down it gets easier just like anything else.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:57 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:By the time I'm 40, I hope to have accomplished all my fitness goals so I can let myself go. What a Face

Hm...

Anyway, I know you're averse to consuming fat, but you really ought to look to more fat-rich foods if you're having a hard time hitting your calorie targets. You don't need to go suck on a spoonful of lard, either. Just add some nut butter (peanut, almond, nutella) to some whole grain bread and *presto!* you've got calories, with some extra protein, to boot. No need to turn to junk food. Just don't do what I tended to do and graze on handfuls of peanuts. They're so tasty and so calorie-dense that it doesn't take much to overdo it.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:06 pm

Mark B wrote:
Mike MacLellan wrote:By the time I'm 40, I hope to have accomplished all my fitness goals so I can let myself go. What a Face

Hm...

Anyway, I know you're averse to consuming fat, but you really ought to look to more fat-rich foods if you're having a hard time hitting your calorie targets. You don't need to go suck on a spoonful of lard, either. Just add some nut butter (peanut, almond, nutella) to some whole grain bread and *presto!* you've got calories, with some extra protein, to boot. No need to turn to junk food. Just don't do what I tended to do and graze on handfuls of peanuts. They're so tasty and so calorie-dense that it doesn't take much to overdo it.

Or how about a nice fresh Avocado! Loaded with good fat. Oh and I love the nutella on a bagel.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:22 pm

Schuey wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Hm...

Or how about a nice fresh Avocado! Loaded with good fat. Oh and I love the nutella on a bagel.

Mmm. That sounds good. Of course, just about anything sounds good at the moment. I just sucked down three chocolate chip cookies one of our editors brought in this morning. What a Face
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:46 pm

Mark/Schuey - I've been going through 2 huge avocados per week since I moved up here. Can't pass up 2/$1 deals. The problem with nut butters is that I lack restraint with them. I just know myself. If there's a jar of peanut butter, it WILL turn into a late-night snack. I'm trying to focus on eating more carbs, yes, but you're both right; nothing wrong with taking in a bit more fat to make up the caloric deficit.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:17 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:Mark/Schuey - I've been going through 2 huge avocados per week since I moved up here. Can't pass up 2/$1 deals. The problem with nut butters is that I lack restraint with them. I just know myself. If there's a jar of peanut butter, it WILL turn into a late-night snack. I'm trying to focus on eating more carbs, yes, but you're both right; nothing wrong with taking in a bit more fat to make up the caloric deficit.

It's not just caloric. Fat provides that feeling of satiety that you just can't get eating nothing but carbs. Do it right, and it'll stop the urge for snacking. Not saying you should be cracking open an antelope's femur to suck out the marrow... but there IS a reason we crave this stuff.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Neil Ruggiero Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:41 pm

Also, the kinds of fats in peanut butter are some of the best you can get (mono and poly unsaturated). So if you gotta get your fat from somewhere, might as well be peanut butter right!
Neil Ruggiero
Neil Ruggiero
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:04 pm

I'm going to give you guys a semi-facetious metaphor. Not making light of people who actually suffer from this, but here goes:

"Hey guys, I'm an alcoholic. Sometimes I get stressed out, or feel socially awkward, or can't really sleep."

"I hear you, man; I always crack open a cold one at the end of the day."
"Yeah, usually when I go to a party, I just throw back a shot or two and I'm good to go."
"Some nice spiced wine really gets me sleepy."

...Get it? What a Face

That said, I'm working on the self-control thing. It's coming in steps. For now, taking a little spoonful of PB from a roommate's jar - when I'm really craving it - keeps me from going overboard. Plus, they're all cool with little-spoonful-sharing.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:25 pm

Okay. You struggle with self-control. Got it.

So maybe you need to find what you need (more calories, maybe some protein and fat) in a less tantalizing form.

How about:
Leaving Neverland - Page 5 Ensure10

Hey, it beats this:
Leaving Neverland - Page 5 Lard10

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content