365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Running Moms and Dads-need advice

+2
Schuey
dot520
6 posters

Go down

Running Moms and Dads-need advice Empty Running Moms and Dads-need advice

Post  dot520 Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:06 am

Can anyone recommend a running stroller? I'm buying one for my Grandson and wouldn't mind some inside scoop on features or brands.

I'll probably get one that has the ability to lock the front wheel because the mom is a walker, not a runner and might not want front wheel drive. Suggestions?

Last edited by dot520 on Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Running Moms and Dads-need advice Empty Re: Running Moms and Dads-need advice

Post  Schuey Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:26 pm

Dot we haven't used it yet but I can't wait to use it. We have the BOB Revolution which allows the front will to be locked or unlocked. Also have a Chicco Fit30 car set which is able to be placed into the BOB by using a infant car seat adapter they sell.

I can't tell you how many BOB's I have seen on the lakefront with parents running with there kids. I haven't heard one bad thing about them when I have talked with the these runners.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin VW Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:55 pm

Schuey wrote:Dot we haven't used it yet but I can't wait to use it. We have the BOB Revolution which allows the front will to be locked or unlocked. Also have a Chicco Fit30 car set which is able to be placed into the BOB by using a infant car seat adapter they sell.

I can't tell you how many BOB's I have seen on the lakefront with parents running with there kids. I haven't heard one bad thing about them when I have talked with the these runners.

I don't know who BOB is but if it's short for Baby On Board does it come with one of those suction cup thingies? Very Happy

As I look at the BOB website - and the Baby Jogger website (which is what I used when my son was an infant 12 years ago) - one thing that strikes me is that a lot of the "models" in the pictures aren't running, they're walking. Diving a little deeper, it looks as if the product offerings have morphed over the years so that they do a lot of things fairly well. Sort of like all weather tires, that CAN mean thay don't do anything REALLY well.

To answer your question, Dot, I would suggest you ask your grandson's parents how they expect they will use it. Certain models are intended to be used in specific ways - a runner doing 8 minute miles on a bike path would want a model with larger tires (less rolling resistance and more clearance) than someone that is going to walk at half that on hard pack trails or city sidewalks.

For me, because of my height and stride length, we bought the model that we bought because they offered it in an "XL" version. If we had gotten a "city stroller" it would have served my non-running wife's needs but not mine, but she already had a Chicco stroller/carrier combo, so her needs were already 100% met. A model like the BOB Revolution, with those tiny 12" tires, would probably have gathered dust along with the automatic swing that my son was terrified of.

Hope that helps!
Martin VW
Martin VW
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:28 pm

Martin has a great point, Dot. My daughter absolutely hated the jogging stroller that I had (albeit was 19+ yrs ago and they have changed), so it might be best to wait until the baby is born, or they already are, then take said grandchild to the baby store and sit them in the different models and see how they feel/move for both Mom and child. I think most of them are designed for walking and I ended up with an expensive stroller in the end.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:37 pm

Dot, we have the Baby Jogger II-20 but it appears that it has been replaced now by the Baby Jogger F I T single. Anyway, ours has 20 inch wheels with a locked front wheel. I think it is a running specific stroller and that is the only thing we use it for. Our son loves it and I've done speed work, tempo runs and long runs pushing this stroller.

I agree with Martin, that you need to figure out how it is going to be used.

Here is a picture of our stroller.
Running Moms and Dads-need advice Babyjogger20
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin VW Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:41 pm

T Miller wrote:Dot, we have the Baby Jogger II-20 but it appears that it has been replaced now by the Baby Jogger F I T single. Anyway, ours has 20 inch wheels with a locked front wheel. I think it is a running specific stroller and that is the only thing we use it for. Our son loves it and I've done speed work, tempo runs and long runs pushing this stroller.

Tim, mine is very similar to yours, albeit probably 10 years older. It was the fact that the F.I.T. comes with 16" wheels that drove my comparison to an all weather tire. To me, the 50% reduction in wheel circumference between a 20" wheel and a 16" wheel will make it less useful as a "running stroller."

I think you actually would have to get the "POD" to have a stroller suited for faster paced runs. But I don't like the sort of "afterthought" design of the POD.

I think Tim and I represent a niche in the market, and I'm disappointed that Baby Jogger abandoned that market in favor of more homogeneous product offerings. I understand it, because if what Schuey says is true that he sees BOB strollers everywhere, they were probably getting their lunch handed to them, but I'm still disappointed.
Martin VW
Martin VW
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:51 pm

I like the BOB although honestly my daughter didn't really like it until she was about 9-10 mos old. We have the ironman and it is not that much harder than running without it. We bought the weather cover, too, so we can go outside when it's pretty cold and she still stays nice and warm. I think the BOB is about the highest rated jogging stroller but really it depends on how much it will be used. I have heard bad things about the in-step stroller.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:07 pm

The grandson is almost 11 months old and his mom probably won't use it much, I will. I'm a slow runner and plan to just use it for some shorter distance runs and most will be LSD 11:00 - 12:00 min miles up the multi use path. If mom uses it at all it will be for walking slow, but she already has a couple of strollers for that.

Thanks for your ideas. Not having had children of my own, I'm a bit clueless which is why I defer to you experts.
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:20 pm

The other thing that I like the BOB is that not just is it good for running but it is very functional for everyday use. It also folds up to make it easy to travel. So for us parents that are runners the BOB becomes and overall stroller all in one package and very functional vs having to spend money and owning multiply strollers. It really was a no brainer for us but then again that is why we bought it to fit our lifestyle.

Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:37 pm

Yeah I've never used a non-jogging stroller. When my daughter sees a stroller she says "there's a jogging stroller" but I also used a Moby wrap to wear her everywhere (still do in the grocery store) and never used a stroller outside of running.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:54 pm

Julie wrote:Yeah I've never used a non-jogging stroller. When my daughter sees a stroller she says "there's a jogging stroller" but I also used a Moby wrap to wear her everywhere (still do in the grocery store) and never used a stroller outside of running.

Yeah we got an ergo-baby to carry the little one in. We choose that because I can use it and when Michael/Kristina get bigger I can have them on my back with it.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down