365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1500m Olympic races

3 posters

Go down

1500m Olympic races Empty 1500m Olympic races

Post  Diego Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:32 pm

I'm not that familiar with the other countries on this one. How will Manzano and "Centro" and Uceny fare in London. Can they medal?

I think Uceny was top ranked last year but I don't know how everyone else has done this year.
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

1500m Olympic races Empty Re: 1500m Olympic races

Post  Ben Z Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:37 pm

Diego wrote:I'm not that familiar with the other countries on this one. How will Manzano and "Centro" and Uceny fare in London. Can they medal?

I think Uceny was top ranked last year but I don't know how everyone else has done this year.

Given the tactical nature of the 1,500m races and how most championship races are sit and kick, they can certainly medal. In fact, Centrowitz snagged a bronze last year at the World Championships while Jenny Simpson won gold.

That being said - on the men's side the top two runners the last few years have been Asbel Kiprop and Silas Kiplagat. Kiprop won gold in 2008 (after Ramzi was later DQd for doping) and again last year at the World Championships. He destroyed the absolutely loaded field at Pre this year too in the mile. However, he barely made the Kenyan team just sneaking in to 3rd. Kiplagat won that race. Both of these guys have the fastest 1,500m time in the world the last few years having both run low 3:29s. The other guy from Kenya, Ndiku, is really good too. He routinely pushes Kiprop and Kiplagat to the line. So these three guys are likely the favorites but if one has an off day then Centrowitz has certainly shown he can stay composed. I've never seen a guy run smoother than he does.

On the women's side it's a bit more wide open. Typically 2-3 Russians crack 4:00 every year (we can discuss the fact they usually do this in Russia where the doping standards are far lower in another thread), and one or two of the Kenyan women are on fire at the moment. But just like the men's race, the margin of error is so small that if someone has an off day I like Uceny's chances.

I'll predict a US woman medals (I think all three of the women are so talented I can't pick who) while Centrowitz narrowly misses out this year and finishes 4th or 5th.
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:50 pm

Diego wrote:I'm not that familiar with the other countries on this one. How will Manzano and "Centro" and Uceny fare in London. Can they medal?

Well Jenny Simpson is reigning world champ so you'd have to give her some chance at a medal if she has a good race.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down