365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hating on Running?

+8
Dave-O
John Kilpatrick
Julie
Natalie
Jerry
Mrs. Schuey
Schuey
Michael Mitchell
12 posters

Go down

Hating on Running? Empty Hating on Running?

Post  Michael Mitchell Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:42 pm

I am in this funk. I am hating running. I know it is a phase. I know about cross training. Do any of you get into this funk? I like what it feels like afterwards. What do you do to ward it off? Take time off?
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.letsrun.com

Back to top Go down

Hating on Running? Empty Re: Hating on Running?

Post  Schuey Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:49 pm

Michael Mitchell wrote:I am in this funk. I am hating running. I know it is a phase. I know about cross training. Do any of you get into this funk? I like what it feels like afterwards. What do you do to ward it off? Take time off?

Yep I know what this is like and Lisa knows what this is like all the time. HaHa

How do I ward it off? Well it depends on were I am at in training.

If I'm between training cycles a lot of time I will take a day or 2 off and just go to the gym and sit in the hot tub and steam room also I will pick up one of my Kurt Vonnegut books. Actually I'm always reading a Vonnegut book.

Sometimes during this time I will just cutback on the running.

Now if I'm in a training cycle for a race well that is a little different.

I generally will go out and run and not worry about pace. I just want to go out and get the miles in. If that doesn't work then I will start to cut some mileage and if I'm still in a funk after that well then I will start by taking a day off and seeing what that does. Also during this time instead of taking just 1 Epsom salt bath I will take 2 to help relax me a little more.

It really stinks being in a funk but with all that I do above I guess it really comes from taking the stress off of having to run and just getting back to enjoying running for what it is.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:56 pm

Mike, like I posted in Neil's blog, I get the feeling.

Funny you posted this topic, as I almost posted one this morning asking other people what their motivation to run is. Yesterday while on my run with Martin we were running up this friggin' hill that winds and then winds some more. It was the last 1/2 mile of the run and Martin was talking to me and the only thing I could think of was, "I just want to be done!". Then I said, "I hate this fricking hill! It doesn't end! Evil or Very Mad " Martin said, "why are you so negative? Just enjoy the run". I said, "how do you enjoy it when you don't like doing it?" Now, obviously, I have to like it to some degree to be out there, right? I just said that out of frustration - the frustration of being in a weird funk about it.

My problem is, is that when I started running years ago it was to escape stress and anxiety in my life. I was in a very unhappy place and running was my solution - escape. Now I'm at a very happy place and I don't run to get rid of anger and stress - my reasons for running in the first place.

I guess for me, I just have to stop comparing myself and my running to where I was years ago. I was fast and good because I ran all the time! Haha! Now I just need to be consistent and focus on today and the future of running; find the passion within.

It will come to you. For me, my focus will be on why I'm running Chicago this fall..for my granny with Alzheimer's and anyone else that doesn't have the ability to just go out and run. I have to remind myself that there are a lot of people out there that will never have the ability to feel pavement under their feet. You and I and all the rest of us are Blessed with that gift.

I posted in my blog that I put together an inspirational collage and have it right next to the couch. When I get unmotivated, I just look at it and it will get me out the door. Maybe put something like that together? I also have a book that I need to read again titled, "The Quotable Runner". It's a compilation of a bunch of quotes from elite runners and their perspective(s) on running.

Don't worry, I'm thinking the more running we do, the more we will love it.

Happy Running!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy bounce bounce bounce
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:47 pm

You don't have to run, but then you don't get to hang w the cool kids.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Mitchell Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:58 pm

Thank you all. I have had funks in the past, of course. I have been running since 1980, so it happens. I just sometimes cannot wait to get it over with. The heat (100 degrees) does not help.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalie Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:03 pm

I can completely relate to this. It seems like as soon as I start a run, I'm thinking about the end. I actually tell my self to enjoy running in the moment, but it's so hard. Sometimes I think if it didn't take so long, or take so much out of me, I'd enjoy it more.
Natalie
Natalie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:13 pm

Natalie Wolf wrote: Sometimes I think if it didn't take so long, or take so much out of me, I'd enjoy it more.

I had that thought the other day, actually. I told Martin that for me a 6 mile run can take around an hour to do. For him, 6 miles can be done in around 41 minutes...same distance in less time. I know I can't compare myself to him or other runners, but I think I'd be more amped to get out there and get the distance done if I could get it done that fast. Hmmmm...since I'm trying to be more positive ~ that could be a good incentive/goal...become faster to spend less time out there. Razz Razz
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:14 pm

if you're burned out, take a break, swim, bike, or whatever else you like to do...

I get burned out from training every late fall and then winter comes and I barely run in January because of the ice and snow and spring brings me a new love for running. If the weather was nice year-around I might actually ride my bike seeking a break from running.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:27 pm

If I'd been running since the 1980s, I think I'd need a break too Exclamation .

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:48 am

Everyone has those funks. I like to leave the watch at home during those times and just run.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  KBFitz Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:16 pm

Michael Mitchell wrote:I am in this funk.
You've been running 7 miles almost always indoors at roughly the same pace for years. That's a rank funk.
Vary it up a bit. Run longer. Run slower. Run shorter. Run quicker. Run outside. Run at 4:30am. Lotsa options.
KBFitz
KBFitz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:32 pm

KBFitz wrote:
You've been running 7 miles almost always indoors at roughly the same pace for years. That's a rank funk.
Vary it up a bit. Run longer. Run slower. Run shorter. Run quicker. Run outside. Run at 4:30am. Lotsa options.

lol!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Mitchell Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:04 am

KBFitz wrote:

Well, I have. I have had 2 5 milers in a row. I just think with the budget cuts, my family, my dissertation...it was just getting to me. I think the swimming first and running second will give me a challenge. Might just get rid of the funk. As far as indoors, I just do not have the time ( no, I am not Joel, I will not get up at 4:30 am to run). I have maybe one hour tops to run. Quicker, that is an option, but I must get well first. Second, the YMCA treadmills are programmed at a 7:30 pace and that is all. Slower, I will lose my mind. I want to get off as fast as I can. LOL
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Mello Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:22 am

Within the parameters you've described, you have limited opportunity to "mix things up." But I find that funks come and go, mostly on their own. Sometimes I love running, sometimes its just OK, and that waxes and wanes. You'll be fine.
Ken Mello
Ken Mello
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:29 am

Michael Mitchell wrote:
KBFitz wrote:

Well, I have. I have had 2 5 milers in a row. I just think with the budget cuts, my family, my dissertation...it was just getting to me. I think the swimming first and running second will give me a challenge. Might just get rid of the funk. As far as indoors, I just do not have the time ( no, I am not Joel, I will not get up at 4:30 am to run). I have maybe one hour tops to run. Quicker, that is an option, but I must get well first. Second, the YMCA treadmills are programmed at a 7:30 pace and that is all. Slower, I will lose my mind. I want to get off as fast as I can. LOL

It sounds like there's more at play in funk than just getting tired of doing the same old runs day after day. Work/family/life stressors create a physiological response as much as a hard workout... so it's entirely possible that what you're feeling is the onset of overtraining. Adding new stressors to the mix just might make it worse.

If you love running (and you wouldn't be doing it for so long if you didn't love it), maybe the best thing to do is give yourself a vacation from it for a week or two and see how you feel. Then wait a little longer. Wait until you're itching to run again and then give your body what it's been asking for. If you have to move or go crazy, take that hour when you'd go on the treadmill and take a nice walk outside.

Less is more.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Mitchell Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:33 am

Mark B wrote:
Michael Mitchell wrote:
KBFitz wrote:

It sounds like there's more at play in funk than just getting tired of doing the same old runs day after day. Work/family/life stressors create a physiological response as much as a hard workout... so it's entirely possible that what you're feeling is the onset of overtraining. Adding new stressors to the mix just might make it worse.

If you love running (and you wouldn't be doing it for so long if you didn't love it), maybe the best thing to do is give yourself a vacation from it for a week or two and see how you feel. Then wait a little longer. Wait until you're itching to run again and then give your body what it's been asking for. If you have to move or go crazy, take that hour when you'd go on the treadmill and take a nice walk outside.

Less is more.

Agreed, but remember running is my decompressor.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:37 am

Mark B wrote:
Michael Mitchell wrote:
KBFitz wrote:

Less is more.

Hating on Running? 424776184
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:11 am

Michael Mitchell wrote:... running is my decompressor.

That's what I thought, too, when I kept hammering away last summer.... right until I hammered my way right off the edge of a cliff.

It's taken the better part of a year - and a total change in approach - to start to get my mojo back. Better to try easing back back now, when you can, then later... when you have no choice.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Bussard Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:47 pm

Dave-O wrote:Everyone has those funks. I like to leave the watch at home during those times and just run.

Agree with this... There have been times when I just wasn't feeling it and I had to talk myself out the door. Just go run. I've had some pretty good 11-13 miles runs when I could have easily taken the day off...
Dave Bussard
Dave Bussard
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down