365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Running Drape Hats

+3
Kenny B.
Michele "1L" Keane
ounce
7 posters

Go down

Running Drape Hats Empty Running Drape Hats

Post  ounce Sat May 19, 2012 10:59 am

I'm figuring to be running in the daylight during the summer, so my body can get some experience at running in the sun & heat. I believe it to be one of the reasons why I didn't hit my time goal at Houston.

So, I was thinking of getting a drape hat to protect my head and neck. Further, my first marathon in the Fall will be in Odessa, Texas, which is in dry, sunny, west Texas in October. Sadly for those running Chicago, it'll probably be the same temperature at race time.

What recommendations or hats have worked for y'all? I have attached a link to running warehouse for reference. Thanks for your time.

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/catpage-RH.html
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Running Drape Hats Empty Re: Running Drape Hats

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sat May 19, 2012 11:57 am

Love, love, love my "French Foreign Legion" hat. I got mine at REI and it works great. I think the ice one is pretty cool, but I really don't know if that is necessary; however, it might come in handy in Odessa.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Sat May 19, 2012 6:12 pm

Ultra runners wear these when running in sunny conditions so why not! Plus you'll look like a serious ass runner!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Sat May 19, 2012 7:45 pm

That Badwater one's color makes no sense. Seems like it would hold the heat and not reflect it.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z Thu May 24, 2012 11:34 am

Two little tricks I learned with whatever hat you get:

1. If you think it's going to be REALLY hot then get the hat wet and stick it in the freezer overnight before a run. It will only stay cold for about 30 minutes once you take it out but it feels awesome for those first 30 minutes.
  2. Then you can wear a bandana under the hat (between your head/hair and the hat) and put ice cubes there. When the ice melts it will cool the fabric of the bandana / hat and keep your head cold as well. Only issue is that you need to have regular access to ice.

Cheers.
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin VW Thu May 24, 2012 12:02 pm

Kenny B. wrote:Ultra runners wear these when running in sunny conditions so why not! Plus you'll look like a serious ass runner!

Because ultra runners are exposed for many many many more hours than marathoners?

Serious question: Doesn't a good sunscreen get it done on all but the longest (say, 3+ hour) runs?

Not so serious question: Do you have to run away from the sun for the hat to work?
Martin VW
Martin VW
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu May 24, 2012 12:54 pm

I believe any sunscreen wears off under duress of sweat. Which could be part of the reason why Badlands participants wear UV clothing like Solumbra (which ain't cheap, but must be really good).
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin VW Thu May 24, 2012 4:16 pm

ounce wrote:I believe any sunscreen wears off under duress of sweat. Which could be part of the reason why Badlands participants wear UV clothing like Solumbra (which ain't cheap, but must be really good).

I may have not asked the question very plainly. No debate, I can understand why someone doing an Ultra in supersunny conditions would want to shade their neck. And wear UV clothing. My wife is a cancer survivor (malignant melanoma) so we are very careful about exposure.

But, marathon training/racing doesn't generally entail anywhere close to that level of exposure in the high sun of the day. And, I would think a hat like that, as effective as it is in sun protection, would be warmer/less comfortable in hot weather.

I know that wasn't your question, Oz, but C. None of the Above would be a potential outcome. And I for one would value hearing the reasons people have for their choices in headwear. I'll start a new thread for it rather than risk hijacking yours.
Martin VW
Martin VW
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu May 24, 2012 5:11 pm

Ounce is in TX, though, and I'm betting that the draped hat would be a benefit rather than a deterrent. I wear mine down here when I know that I'm going to run a long run (even in early September) because once the sun comes up, so does the humidity, temperature, etc. In fact, I started my 7 miler this morning at 7 am and it was 63F, but 8 am when I finished, it was already 75F. And it was humid too.

In NY state in the summer, I don't find I need the draped hat and it is far more shaded where I run there as well.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu May 24, 2012 6:23 pm

And the race I would use it is in West Texas, about 200 miles east of El Paso where the wind is dry and the cattle are nervous.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Liz R Fri May 25, 2012 10:37 am

My husband wears one for tennis here in SA. They are not uncommon among tennis players. I haven't seen them on runners here, but runners will go out in the dark, early morning or late night, and tennis players won't/can't because they need light. IDK where he got his.

Liz R
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down