365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lincoln Marathon May 6

+8
Dave-O
Alex Kubacki
Peg Coover
carleenp
Michele "1L" Keane
Penelope
Julie
jon c
12 posters

Go down

Lincoln Marathon May 6 Empty Lincoln Marathon May 6

Post  jon c Wed May 09, 2012 11:41 am

So after the heat of Boston and my making it a training run of sorts (who knew that Boston could ever be a training run??), I had scheduled running Lincoln. As a native Nebraskan living almost a hour away, I had never run the full for one reason or another. I had run the half there several years ago and have run Omaha a couple years ago.

Anyhow, this was hopefully going to be my opportunity to knock the cobwebs off my racing a full. The last full that I had raced was in June of last year. I had spent last summer training for a fall 50 miler that I had blogged here about. I had also run the Las Vegas Marathon as a pacer (that race was quite the debacle as some of you know) and of course Boston. So I wasn't sure how it would go. In the meantime, Father Time had given me another five minute reprieve on BQ'ing for 2013 as I passed into another age group. On my birthday, my mom came over and announced, "Congratulations on entering senior citizenship". It was quite humorous as she seemed quite pleased with herself.

So the day before the race it was 90 and sunny sunny with dewpoints in the mid to high 60s. Fortunately a front with some rather intense thunderstorms came through about two hours before the race start, and after passing through had brought in some milder, somewhat less humid air. I was almost certain there would be rain during the race, but about an hour in, the sun actually came out. There was a brisk breeze blowing in from the north that actually felt good to be running against the last few miles of the race.

With 10,000 total entrants, mostly half marathoners, the streets were fairly full up until close to mile 13. The race is well supported and there were quite a few people out cheering for runners especially the first half. One of the unique features of Lincoln is that the cups handed out at aid stations have lids and a straw, which for most people I have talked to make it easier to sip from and not have to slow down quite as much. Some might argue that this is not very green, but it is something unique anyway.

My goal in running was to BQ which for my age group is under 3:40. I wanted to pace at around 3:30 and see how long I could hold on for. So as we started off, I ran the first three at about a 8:10 average. Then there was a bit of a slight downhill stretch and I used that to catch up to close to an 8 minute average by about mile 6. Seemed to maintain that pretty well, but by around mile 11 and 12 I could tell my legs were not going to hold up for the second half even though my breathing was easy and not labored at all.

I saw our very own Julie, who was telling us runners where to go at close to mile 13.Cool I only got to say hello briefly and I'm glad that she was there as volunteers are a key part of any race experience and they are largely unappreciated IMO. I hope that at some point, we can meet up and I can introduce you to my wife Connie and to daughter Hannah. So thanks for being there!

At the half I was at 1:45:16, but I knew it was only a matter of time until the fade began. Since the sun was out, it had gotten a bit warmer, around 70 and the sun was evaporating the rain water which gave the race a bit of a humid, sticky feel even though overall the air was drier than the day before. The second half of the race was an out and back with a few smaller hills. Lincoln is a generally flat course, but there are a few smaller ups and downs. So by 17 and 18 my pace had gone down to the 8:20s and 30s but I was determined to try to hold it together enough to BQ. At twenty after the turn around, I was at around 2:42 and change, so I knew that it was doable if I could keep from completely bombing out.

The last 10K was a bit of a struggle, but I kept moving forward and only walked through the aid stations at that point. I had seen Connie and Hannah at mile 19 so that was good encouragement, and I saw both the running friends who I knew from out of state running the race that we had dinner with the night before. I continued to leak time and ultimately averaged 8:52 for the last 10K so it was a pretty significant drop off. I am clearly rusty in my racing, but by the same token I have not been doing much for tempo work and I have not been doing any doubles yet this year. So I would imagine that might be a focus for me in the next few months.

The race ended in Memorial Stadium on the field, so that was a fun touch for the runners. The field turf was surprisingly soft and I can't imagine what it was like to play on Astroturf years ago which was pretty hard and unforgiving from what I understand. Time ended up at 3:37:48 so I got the BQ for the year, but I feel certain that this was not my best effort. I will take the BQ any day of the week however!cheers Also found out I finished fourth in my age group, so I am supposed to get some type of award, so that is always a plus.

I may schedule another summer full and am considering another 50 miler in the fall...decisions, decisions.

Below is a pic of the two guys, one from Phoenix, and the other from NYC who we spent time with this weekend. Hope the pics turn out as the preview cuts me and Hannah off. haha!

Lincoln Marathon May 6 41169810

And this is my grandmother, pictured here a few years ago at her 100th birthday. She passed away yesterday morning at the age of 102. She was someone who aged very gracefully, rarely complained and showed me a lot to look up to over her lifetime. She also was sharp mentally despite declining physical health up until her quiet and relatively peaceful passing. She will be missed but I am so grateful that I had the opportunity to learn from her all this time.Sad

Lincoln Marathon May 6 5816_110
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Lincoln Marathon May 6 Empty Re: Lincoln Marathon May 6

Post  Julie Wed May 09, 2012 11:57 am

Congrats Jon! Great job and congrats on another BQ! Great to see you for a few seconds. I was trying to call out as many names as I could to cheer for people between directing them and I think almost everyone I knew saw me before I saw them I was so focused on looking at everyone's names on their bibs (which was really fun for me). I felt really badly for the slower runners especially who had to be out in the heat for so long.

I'm sorry to hear about your grandma's passing. It sounds like she lived a very full life and I'm glad you had so long with her.

It would be great to meet your wife and daughter next time you come to Lincoln. I have no idea if I'm running or volunteering next May but should at least be able to make it for part of it or to meet fellow runners.

Will you plan to run Boston next year again? Any ultras on the schedule (what 50 milers are you thinking about)?
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Wed May 09, 2012 1:33 pm

Congrats on the BQ and 4th in your age group! Great job! Sorry to hear about your Grandmother, but all things considered, 102 is pretty darn good!
Penelope
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed May 09, 2012 2:08 pm

Congrats, Jon on a well done race this close to the hotfest that was Boston. Doubt I could run a marathon today, and wow, you already ran another. I hope you run Boston again as I'll be there next year and we didn't really get to talk this year as I was occupied with my daughter at the time. Love the picture of you and your friends with Hannah again - what a sweetie.

Sorry too to hear about your Grandmother, and 102 is amazing! My grandmother lived to be 101 - so I get it.

As for senior citizenship, tell your mother that it doesn't occur until 80 these days (and especially not with you genetics).
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Wed May 09, 2012 2:15 pm

Congrats on a good race!! I am sorry about your Grandmother's passing, what a long life she had though. 102 is very impressive!

I'm thinking that I might run Lincoln in 2014 (yeah I'm already planned out that far ahead).It was my first marathon in 1992 when I still lived there. They didn't have cups with lids and straws then, nor a stadium finish. But they did have those hills right around mile 17-18 at Homes lake. Way back then I saw my parents at the top of one and said "I'm never doing this again," and I didn't until about 17 years later LOL!
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

http://beautyandfashiontech.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Wed May 09, 2012 6:05 pm

Julie wrote:Congrats Jon! Great job and congrats on another BQ! Great to see you for a few seconds. I was trying to call out as many names as I could to cheer for people between directing them and I think almost everyone I knew saw me before I saw them I was so focused on looking at everyone's names on their bibs (which was really fun for me). I felt really badly for the slower runners especially who had to be out in the heat for so long.

I'm sorry to hear about your grandma's passing. It sounds like she lived a very full life and I'm glad you had so long with her.

It would be great to meet your wife and daughter next time you come to Lincoln. I have no idea if I'm running or volunteering next May but should at least be able to make it for part of it or to meet fellow runners.

Will you plan to run Boston next year again? Any ultras on the schedule (what 50 milers are you thinking about)?

Thanks Julie! I'm not 100% sure yet on Boston but I have a streak going so it is likely that I will be signing up in the fall again. As far as ultras go, either the Heartland again, Fall 50 in Door Co. Wisconsin, or the Lakefront in October would be the ones that I am thinking about at present.

Penelope wrote:Congrats on the BQ and 4th in your age group! Great job! Sorry to hear about your Grandmother, but all things considered, 102 is pretty darn good!

Thanks Kathy! Appreciate the comments.

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Congrats, Jon on a well done race this close to the hotfest that was Boston. Doubt I could run a marathon today, and wow, you already ran another. I hope you run Boston again as I'll be there next year and we didn't really get to talk this year as I was occupied with my daughter at the time. Love the picture of you and your friends with Hannah again - what a sweetie.

Sorry too to hear about your Grandmother, and 102 is amazing! My grandmother lived to be 101 - so I get it.

As for senior citizenship, tell your mother that it doesn't occur until 80 these days (and especially not with you genetics).

Michele, your comment about my mom cracks me up. She turns 80 in August so I could turn the tables upside down on her.Laughing Of course her mom is the one that passed away so she'll probably get the last laugh on me as she'll probably outlive all of us.

I do hope to see you in Boston next year where we'll get a chance to chat a bit more.
Hope your daughters upcoming BU experience is a great one!

carleenp wrote:Congrats on a good race!! I am sorry about your Grandmother's passing, what a long life she had though. 102 is very impressive!

I'm thinking that I might run Lincoln in 2014 (yeah I'm already planned out that far ahead).It was my first marathon in 1992 when I still lived there. They didn't have cups with lids and straws then, nor a stadium finish. But they did have those hills right around mile 17-18 at Homes lake. Way back then I saw my parents at the top of one and said "I'm never doing this again," and I didn't until about 17 years later LOL!

Carleen, that is how I felt at the end of my Chicago Marathon in 1982 and I didn't run another one until 2005. Wish I knew then what I know now. How many areas of life can we say that in? Thanks for your comments. I did enjoy the race experience and I'm sure you would too revisiting the course after 20 years.
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Sun May 13, 2012 9:11 am

Congrats on a BQ marathon in Lincoln! We lucked out on the weather--temp wise and storm wise! We were driving to Big Sal's for pizza and could see the 5+ hour runners on the bike path as we passed over them. I felt sorry for them as it was hotter and muggier than when I finished at 9:15 or so....

One thing I appreciated this year was the cups of ice! I grabbed a water and then an ice and combined them and carried the cold water for almost a mile--both at the 5 and 10 mile water station. That helped me not feel like I had to drink it too fast and I like it cold too.
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Sun May 13, 2012 2:12 pm

Great job Jon especially so soon after Boston. Congrats on the BQ.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Tue May 15, 2012 10:53 pm

Peg Coover wrote:Congrats on a BQ marathon in Lincoln! We lucked out on the weather--temp wise and storm wise! We were driving to Big Sal's for pizza and could see the 5+ hour runners on the bike path as we passed over them. I felt sorry for them as it was hotter and muggier than when I finished at 9:15 or so....

One thing I appreciated this year was the cups of ice! I grabbed a water and then an ice and combined them and carried the cold water for almost a mile--both at the 5 and 10 mile water station. That helped me not feel like I had to drink it too fast and I like it cold too.

Thanks Peg! I too liked the the ice. Had plenty of practice at Boston taking ice into my cap and then putting the cap on. Ice lasted several miles, slow melt on the head. Doing it again in Lincoln, but not as much.

Alex Kubacki wrote:Great job Jon especially so soon after Boston. Congrats on the BQ.

Thanks Alex! For me, I have found that I can usually come back and run a hard marathon with three to four weeks rest. This year since Boston was in essence a training run, it came easier. Of course, I don't run as hard during most training runs, perhaps that is one reason why.
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Wed May 16, 2012 3:38 pm

That is an impressive bounce back from Boston. There's no way you could have been in peak shape and fully recovered, so I'd agree you have an even better race in store this year. But well done on the BQ regardless.

Sorry about the loss of your grandmother. 102? Amazing.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed May 16, 2012 4:12 pm

Hey, I know those 2 guys in that picture... and that sweetheart girl!

Great race, Jon... get your fall figured out so I can figure out where I'll see you next!

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Thu May 17, 2012 12:45 pm

Dave-O wrote:That is an impressive bounce back from Boston. There's no way you could have been in peak shape and fully recovered, so I'd agree you have an even better race in store this year. But well done on the BQ regardless.

Sorry about the loss of your grandmother. 102? Amazing.

Thanks for your comments, Dave! I hope that you're correct about that better race. Hope that yours comes to pass as well.

Mr MattM wrote:Hey, I know those 2 guys in that picture... and that sweetheart girl!

Great race, Jon... get your fall figured out so I can figure out where I'll see you next!

This may be the year I do Monkey, if you or Jeff V. can get me in if I can't get in legitimately. It will be a training run no doubt.Smile
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin VW Thu May 17, 2012 1:31 pm

Until I saw your post, i didn't realize that the spread in BQ times between 54 and 55 was 10 minutes!

Nice job toughing out that final 10K. You had to be freaking with the weather being so hot practically up to race time.
Martin VW
Martin VW
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu May 17, 2012 2:47 pm

jon c wrote:

This may be the year I do Monkey, if you or Jeff V. can get me in if I can't get in legitimately. It will be a training run no doubt.Smile

But if you do it then I'll feel like I have to do it... that's a race I just love to DNS!

Razz

Seriously, if you want to run it I'm sure some strings can be pulled.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Thu May 17, 2012 3:08 pm

Wow nice job on the BQ and 4th place in AG. 102 amazing! He body was a temple for her soul to evolve.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Thu May 17, 2012 6:43 pm

Martin VW wrote:Until I saw your post, i didn't realize that the spread in BQ times between 54 and 55 was 10 minutes!

Nice job toughing out that final 10K. You had to be freaking with the weather being so hot practically up to race time.

This year the net difference was five minutes due to the BQ raising the standards to faster times. But I bet you already know that.Smile
As far as freaking out, hot weather doesn't really scare me. I do have respect for what it does to the body of course. I would most likely have had another long, hot training run. Now if there was lightning going on or hail, that would be a different story. I know people that have been struck by lightning out running so that I take pretty seriously.

Thank you for your comments. I read with interest your analytical breakdown of different topics on the various threads that have come up recently. Thanks for participating in this forum. I for one appreciate it.

Mr MattM wrote:
jon c wrote:

But if you do it then I'll feel like I have to do it... that's a race I just love to DNS!

Razz

Seriously, if you want to run it I'm sure some strings can be pulled.

I talked to Jeff last week and he says he plans on running it. I think I'll try to sign up on 8/1 if possible. It would be fun to get together and chat again. BTW, when will there be more youtubes of the guitar man?

Kenny B. wrote:Wow nice job on the BQ and 4th place in AG. 102 amazing! He body was a temple for her soul to evolve.

Thanks Kenny! I appreciate your kind comments and what they add to this forum.
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Thu May 17, 2012 11:34 pm

Hey nice race Jon, congrats on the BQ. My mom is 90 bless her heart, but can't say she doesn't complain after just spending 3 days with her. 102 is quite a full life, wow!
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down