365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2012 Boston Tracking Thread

+38
healdgator
Vivian
Matt W
fostever
Chris M
Jim Lentz
JohnP
nkrichards
Dave Wolfe
John Kilpatrick
Jack_Scaff
Lauren
wrichman
Mike MacLellan
Mrs. Schuey
Michele "1L" Keane
Admin
Reina
Seth Harrison
Gobbles
KathyK
Glenn
Julio
Kenny B.
Ben Z
Michael Mitchell
ounce
Dave-O
Jeff F
carleenp
Mark B
Alex Kubacki
Julie
dot520
Joel H
Nick Morris
Jerry
Michael Enright
42 posters

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Go down

2012 Boston Tracking Thread - Page 10 Empty Re: 2012 Boston Tracking Thread

Post  Jim Lentz Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:05 pm

Great job, Everyone!
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:51 pm

JohnP wrote:Thanks for this tracking thread everyone! And sorry I extended it for so long with my time, I totally crashed and burned, it was a horrible day, my worst marathon by 33 minutes! It's hard to believe I ran 3:34 six months ago. It was a tough decision to keep going because I had to walk a lot to keep from fainting symptoms.

One more thing - wthout a doubt, nothing even comes close to the women at Wellesley cheering. Even though I was struggling already by then, you can't help but have a big grin as you go by all of them giving high-fives constantly.

Don't be hard on yourself, John. If you live in cool areas, you suffer more. Nothing you can do unless you move to Texas. lol!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:11 pm

Thanks Jerry. And to be honest, even if the weather was cool (in the 40s) I doubt I would have broken your time. I was not ready for those hills, the actuality of them is much worse than pictures or stories.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:35 am

Thanks to everyone for doing the tracking thread. As some of you said, I decided before the race to drop back and try and pace my buddy Scott to a 3:30 BQ for him (8:00 pace). We opened with 5 miles of 8s and he was already completely cooked in that heat with a HR way up in the 170s when normally it would be under 140 for him. So we backed way off but he really started to struggle mightly even in the 1st half. I begged him to drop out at the half way point where our family was with Lisa Schumacher but he insisted he wanted to finish. Bad idea and I really should have put my foot down and dragged him off the course. A Godsend was a certain bandit who jumped in at the half way point and stayed with us until the finish. I don't want to name this criminal, but let's call him "KB Fitz" to protect his identity. Well, this bandit made the day so much better because he took great care of Scott as Scott spiraled down into a big giant bonk that was scary to watch. Scott simply became non-responsive to us from about Mile 15 on. "KB" and I would periodically sprint around and give high fives to the crowd or go off to the side and have Twizzlers or get some ice and then come back and check on the deteroriating Scott. Again, I really should have insisted he stop but he was firmly in the mode of trudging forward come hell or high water. When we finally hit the finish line, he collapsed and the medical people could not get him to answer simple questions. It was very scary. They whisked him away from "KB" and myself and into the medical area. For about an hour, we couldn't get an update on how he was but it was just some very severe dehydration and electrolyte imbalance and he was OK after an hour or so of treatment. Huge relief. KB was THE MAN and I can't stress enough how much he helped me with a difficult situation this afternoon. I owe him big as does Scott!

But for KB (who is in killer shape right now, by the way) and myself, it wasn't real tough running at "bonk pace". Still, I'd never been on my feet for that long on any kind of run (pw marathaton by over 30 mins) and it sucked being out in that oven of a day that long. But no issues whatsoever with me and I spent a good bit of time wondering if I should use all the sub3 training I built up for this cycle sooner than another attempt in the Fall.....that's a discussion I'll have with Dave but I think the answer is NO and I'll look to PR at the half and shorter distances Spring/Summer and then cross fingers for cold weather for either Chicago or Marine Corps and take a race shot at one of those. It really was carnage out there and I congratulated everyone I saw wearing a medal at the airport. I don't care if that took you 7 hours to complete - getting through 26.2 today was difficult.

Congrats to everyone who finished today and thanks so much to the 365ers who did this fun to read thread.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:45 am

Wow, that "KB" sounds like some Boston-area superhero. The Kind Bandit, perhaps? Hm..

And you do, too, Chris.

Good job on all counts.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:32 am

I guess that the mysterious KB got back on Silver and Hiyo Silver'd away.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:13 am

One of my teammates collapsed after Cherry Blossum from dehydration and it scared me half to death. I cannot imagine what running with Scott must have been like. I must have passed you guys somewhere and the Millers too, but I was most definitely in follow the plan and be smart to survive mode. Kudis to you Chris and that masked man!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:19 am

I saw so many really good runners run walking at the end it was hard to believe I was at Boston, so I felt in good company as my pace collapsed after my huge side stitch right after the 1st hill then the calf cramp phantom after that. Even passed a couple runners from women's race along the way. Have to also give a shout out to Mr. Fitz for hosting the get togethers. Great to meet new friends and see old ones, enjoyed a wonderful weekend.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt W Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:28 am

Thanks for the tracking thread. It's always great to know we have such great runners supporting us. With the heat, i just tried to have fun and take lots of pictures. Hopefully, I can post some later.
Matt W
Matt W
Poster
Poster

http://www.redrockrunningcompany.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Vivian Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:47 am

Glad that Scott is OK. I was worried especially since he had that collapse at Lehigh Valley in weather 20 degrees cooler. KBFitz is a hero again. Congratulations V-teamers for being so tough and finishing on such a taxing day.
Vivian
Vivian

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:11 pm

Chris, glad Scott is okay. Your account brought me back to running with my Dad for the last 10k of Chicago 2007. He remained coherant, but with the amount of runners dropping everywhere and the ever-present sound of sirens, it was terrifying. I'll never forget the dozens up runners huddle under the lone viaduct in the last 3 miles, cherishing the bit of shade it provided.

Very proud of all 365ers that crossed the finish line yesterday. Approval
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:54 pm

Great reading the trials and tribulations of the day in Boston. Amazing job 365'ers and wow to Chris, Scott and "KB". I agree KBf is always good to have on your team!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:13 pm

Congrats to all our Boston runners, you guys are tough as nails.
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Coleman Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:26 pm

Congratulations to all who came through the Boston 2012 ordeal.
Chris Coleman
Chris Coleman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy E Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:54 pm

Hi everyone. Just wanted to say thanks for tracking us. It's always fun after a race to come here and get the scoop. Many of you know that I enjoy heat and that I usually run at the hottest time of the day as often as possible. This has helped me with handling heat while racing. But, I will say that yesterday was tough, as others have said. I thought it felt warm just sitting in athletes village and the thought of a tough race crept into my mind. There was literally no "coolness" in the air. Also, I thought it stayed sort of humid all day. If I thought these things as someone who enjoys heat, can you imagine what those who hate heat were thinking? It was a tough day. I decided to run a first half and see how I felt and then decide to either keep pushing or slow it down. My body said slow down and I listened. When my heart rate would hit 160 that was my cue to slow. So, I slowed and am glad I did.
As others have said, I am very proud of anyone who gutted it out yesterday and finished. Heck, just watching the charity runners come in was touching. Some of them were out there a long time.
Congratulations all of you and thanks again for tracking us.
Randy E
Randy E
Poster
Poster

http://www.eggefinancial.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:44 pm

I also want to thank all of you for tracking us. Fun to read what y'all were thinking. It was nice to know you were thinking of us during our funeral procession.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:05 pm

Julio wrote:Tim's place, 8779
Wendy's place, 8780.

That sneaky bastard.

Thanks for tracking us everyone. I especially like this quote by Julio. We finished hand in hand but I guess she crossed the start line before I did. We planned an easy long run from the start but we lost several minutes to cramps and the shoe procedure we had to perform, at the med tent, on heartbreak.
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:15 am

T Miller wrote:
Julio wrote:Tim's place, 8779
Wendy's place, 8780.

That sneaky bastard.

Thanks for tracking us everyone. I especially like this quote by Julio. We finished hand in hand but I guess she crossed the start line before I did. We planned an easy long run from the start but we lost several minutes to cramps and the shoe procedure we had to perform, at the med tent, on heartbreak.

That exact thing happened to me and my husband at Twin Cities. We ran the whole thing together but I crossed the start line a second earlier.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:46 am

mountandog wrote:I also want to thank all of you for tracking us. Fun to read what y'all were thinking. It was nice to know you were thinking of us during our funeral procession.

That's exactly what this running community is for and why I love it so much!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10