365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Extra Day in Boston

+8
Jerry
Martin VW
Mike MacLellan
JohnP
Dave-O
Michele "1L" Keane
Jeff F
mountandog
12 posters

Go down

The Extra Day in Boston Empty The Extra Day in Boston

Post  mountandog Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:50 pm

So what do you guys do with the Monday start in Boston? How do you handle that extra day? Rest day, move other things forward a day?
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1398
Points : 7451
Join date : 2011-07-14
Age : 66
Location : Michigan

Back to top Go down

The Extra Day in Boston Empty Re: The Extra Day in Boston

Post  Jeff F Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:15 am

Arrive on Saturday and go to the Expo. Sunday take short run around Boston Common during the 5K and cheer on the runners, rest and go to a movie. Monday, race.
Jeff F
Jeff F
Poster
Poster

Posts : 299
Points : 4629
Join date : 2011-06-15

Back to top Go down

The Extra Day in Boston Empty Re: The Extra Day in Boston

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:38 am

5K costs money now - so skip it for running and watch and just run easy on the Esplanade. I just add an extra day in the week and treat Monday like any other race day.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 5025
Points : 13757
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 61
Location : Atlanta, GA

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

The Extra Day in Boston Empty Re: The Extra Day in Boston

Post  Jeff F Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:55 am

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:5K costs money now - so skip it for running and watch and just run easy on the Esplanade. I just add an extra day in the week and treat Monday like any other race day.

That is exactly what I meant - don't run the 5K but watch it...
Jeff F
Jeff F
Poster
Poster

Posts : 299
Points : 4629
Join date : 2011-06-15

Back to top Go down

The Extra Day in Boston Empty Re: The Extra Day in Boston

Post  Dave-O Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:11 am

Follow the same final 4 days as you would before any marathon. For me, that means rest on Saturday and easy shake-out run on Sunday.
Dave-O
Dave-O
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 1736
Points : 6351
Join date : 2011-06-14
Age : 41
Location : Chicago

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

The Extra Day in Boston Empty Re: The Extra Day in Boston

Post  JohnP Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:31 am

This is a good thread. I like what Dave-O said, it makes sense. I will probably insert an easy run or extra day off that week prior since I'm only doing a two week taper.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1226
Points : 6130
Join date : 2011-06-15

Back to top Go down

The Extra Day in Boston Empty Re: The Extra Day in Boston

Post  Mike MacLellan Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:43 pm

Fri - arrive in Boston (night), no running.
Sat - 30min shakeout, strides optional. Expo.
Sun - 30min so-easy-it's-stupid. Sit on my ass all day after.
Mon - race.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 3191
Points : 9632
Join date : 2011-06-14
Age : 35
Location : Arlington, VA

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

The Extra Day in Boston Empty Re: The Extra Day in Boston

Post  Martin VW Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:03 pm

McMillan's final "Boston Specific" week:

Mon 30 to 40 minute Easy Run
Tue 40 to 50 minute Easy Run with Stride Workout: 8 to 10 times 15 seconds with 1 minute recovery jog between
Wed OFF
Thu 15 to 20 minute Warm-Up + Cruise Interval Workout: 4 to 5 times 800 meters with 200 meter recovery jog between plus 3 x 200m with 200m recovery jog + 15 to 20 minute Cool-down
Fri 40 to 50 minute Easy Run
Sat OFF
Sun 30 minute Easy Run
Mon Race: Boston Marathon Good Luck!
Martin VW
Martin VW
Poster
Poster

Posts : 299
Points : 4584
Join date : 2011-06-16

Back to top Go down

The Extra Day in Boston Empty Re: The Extra Day in Boston

Post  mountandog Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:13 pm

The Pfitzinger plan I follow calls for this the week before a marathon:


  • Mon - off
  • Tue - Recovery 5 in am and 4 in pm
  • Wed - 7 w/ 2 @ MP
  • Thu - Recovery 5
  • Fri - 5 Recovery w/ 6x100
  • Sat - 5 Recovery
  • Sun - race

That's too much in a row for this old body so last year I followed exactly this plan Mon - Fri, but took an off day on Saturday (which was my travel day) pushed Sat to Sun but reduced it to about 3.5 miles. Ran great on Monday (must have been the tailwind - Very Happy )

Don't understand the double session on Tue. What purpose does the second run have this close to the race???
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1398
Points : 7451
Join date : 2011-07-14
Age : 66
Location : Michigan

Back to top Go down

The Extra Day in Boston Empty Re: The Extra Day in Boston

Post  Jerry Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:28 pm

mountandog wrote:The Pfitzinger plan I follow calls for this the week before a marathon:


  • Mon - off
  • Tue - Recovery 5 in am and 4 in pm
  • Wed - 7 w/ 2 @ MP
  • Thu - Recovery 5
  • Fri - 5 Recovery w/ 6x100
  • Sat - 5 Recovery
  • Sun - race

That's too much in a row for this old body so last year I followed exactly this plan Mon - Fri, but took an off day on Saturday (which was my travel day) pushed Sat to Sun but reduced it to about 3.5 miles. Ran great on Monday (must have been the tailwind - Very Happy )

Don't understand the double session on Tue. What purpose does the second run have this close to the race???

I know Jerry used the plan and didn't did the double. Very Happy
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2712
Points : 1006089
Join date : 2011-06-15
Location : Where I'm Loved

Back to top Go down

The Extra Day in Boston Empty Re: The Extra Day in Boston

Post  mountandog Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:35 pm

Jerry wrote:
mountandog wrote:The Pfitzinger plan I follow calls for this the week before a marathon:


  • Mon - off
  • Tue - Recovery 5 in am and 4 in pm
  • Wed - 7 w/ 2 @ MP
  • Thu - Recovery 5
  • Fri - 5 Recovery w/ 6x100
  • Sat - 5 Recovery
  • Sun - race


That's too much in a row for this old body so last year I followed exactly this plan Mon - Fri, but took an off day on Saturday (which was my travel day) pushed Sat to Sun but reduced it to about 3.5 miles. Ran great on Monday (must have been the tailwind - Very Happy )

Don't understand the double session on Tue. What purpose does the second run have this close to the race???

I know Jerry used the plan and didn't did the double. Very Happy



I assume you didn't do the 9 either.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1398
Points : 7451
Join date : 2011-07-14
Age : 66
Location : Michigan

Back to top Go down

The Extra Day in Boston Empty Re: The Extra Day in Boston

Post  Jerry Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:42 pm

mountandog wrote:
Jerry wrote:
mountandog wrote:The Pfitzinger plan I follow calls for this the week before a marathon:


  • Mon - off
  • Tue - Recovery 5 in am and 4 in pm
  • Wed - 7 w/ 2 @ MP
  • Thu - Recovery 5
  • Fri - 5 Recovery w/ 6x100
  • Sat - 5 Recovery
  • Sun - race


That's too much in a row for this old body so last year I followed exactly this plan Mon - Fri, but took an off day on Saturday (which was my travel day) pushed Sat to Sun but reduced it to about 3.5 miles. Ran great on Monday (must have been the tailwind - Very Happy )

Don't understand the double session on Tue. What purpose does the second run have this close to the race???

I know Jerry used the plan and didn't did the double. Very Happy



I assume you didn't do the 9 either.

Absolutely not, Jerry read from this crowd that recovery run should be within 45-60 minutes.

Btw, Jerry didn't run the day before in any out of town races because Jerry didn't know he could use Garmin to find his way back to hotel. lol!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2712
Points : 1006089
Join date : 2011-06-15
Location : Where I'm Loved

Back to top Go down

The Extra Day in Boston Empty Re: The Extra Day in Boston

Post  Dave-O Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:03 pm

mountandog wrote:

Don't understand the double session on Tue. What purpose does the second run have this close to the race???

I think its just a matter of keeping your body in the same routine its become used to in the plan. I typically keep logging doubles until 4 days out from the race. It would be a little too sharp of a taper to go from 5-6 doubles per week to none.
Dave-O
Dave-O
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 1736
Points : 6351
Join date : 2011-06-14
Age : 41
Location : Chicago

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

The Extra Day in Boston Empty Re: The Extra Day in Boston

Post  Schuey Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:16 pm

Dave-O wrote:Follow the same final 4 days as you would before any marathon. For me, that means rest on Saturday and easy shake-out run on Sunday.

Yep this is how I have been doing it every year I have run Boston.

Dave-O wrote:
mountandog wrote:

Don't understand the double session on Tue. What purpose does the second run have this close to the race???

I think its just a matter of keeping your body in the same routine its become used to in the plan. I typically keep logging doubles until 4 days out from the race. It would be a little too sharp of a taper to go from 5-6 doubles per week to none.

I guess it is agree with Dave day.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2172
Points : 7358
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 51
Location : So Many Roads To Ease My Soul

Back to top Go down

The Extra Day in Boston Empty Re: The Extra Day in Boston

Post  Dave-O Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:17 pm

Schuey wrote:
I guess it is agree with Dave day.

Can you pass that along to my wife? Thanks.
Dave-O
Dave-O
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 1736
Points : 6351
Join date : 2011-06-14
Age : 41
Location : Chicago

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

The Extra Day in Boston Empty Re: The Extra Day in Boston

Post  Schuey Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:18 pm

Dave-O wrote:
Schuey wrote:
I guess it is agree with Dave day.

Can you pass that along to my wife? Thanks.

Would love to but I hate to tell you buddy I think we both will lose that battle. Very Happy
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2172
Points : 7358
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 51
Location : So Many Roads To Ease My Soul

Back to top Go down

The Extra Day in Boston Empty Re: The Extra Day in Boston

Post  mountandog Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:48 pm

now you guys == don't bring our wives into this --
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1398
Points : 7451
Join date : 2011-07-14
Age : 66
Location : Michigan

Back to top Go down

The Extra Day in Boston Empty Re: The Extra Day in Boston

Post  wendy_miller Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:51 am

Whatever you do--please don't forget to HAVE FUN...running/racing is such a pleasurable activity, don't ruin it by overthinking.
wendy_miller
wendy_miller
Newbie
Newbie

Posts : 91
Points : 4358
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 40
Location : Indiana

Back to top Go down

The Extra Day in Boston Empty Re: The Extra Day in Boston

Post  Mrs. Schuey Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:53 pm

Schuey wrote:
Dave-O wrote:
Schuey wrote:
I guess it is agree with Dave day.

Can you pass that along to my wife? Thanks.

Would love to but I hate to tell you buddy I think we both will lose that battle. Very Happy

Smile Smile
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1125
Points : 5671
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 46
Location : Valparaiso, IN

Back to top Go down

The Extra Day in Boston Empty Re: The Extra Day in Boston

Post  Bob Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:00 pm

wendy_miller wrote:Whatever you do--please don't forget to HAVE FUN...running/racing is such a pleasurable activity, don't ruin it by overthinking.



Post of the week. Right on, Wendy.
Bob
Bob
Lord Bobby
Lord Bobby

Posts : 342
Points : 13558
Join date : 2011-06-15
Location : Illinois

Back to top Go down

The Extra Day in Boston Empty Re: The Extra Day in Boston

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum