365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Foldable Treadmill?

5 posters

Go down

Foldable Treadmill? Empty Foldable Treadmill?

Post  Jerry Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:23 pm

Are foldable TMs good enough for high mileage as well as easy/quick to move and setup?
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Foldable Treadmill? Empty Re: Foldable Treadmill?

Post  Chris M Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:35 pm

My experience has been no. They are simply too small and too light to comfortably do real training on. Can a space saver mill work in a pinch when you need to get in a 6 mile run? Sure. Would you want to be using it multiple times a week? No way. Plus most of them are so small motor-wise that you will burn them out with even semi-regular usage. I had good success with buying a reconditioned commerical machine and others have had good success with buying fairly large mills in the $1000+ range but I have only had bad experiences with the sub $500 "space saver" mills that fold up and can be put away when not in use.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:55 pm

Chris M wrote:My experience has been no. They are simply too small and too light to comfortably do real training on. Can a space saver mill work in a pinch when you need to get in a 6 mile run? Sure. Would you want to be using it multiple times a week? No way. Plus most of them are so small motor-wise that you will burn them out with even semi-regular usage. I had good success with buying a reconditioned commerical machine and others have had good success with buying fairly large mills in the $1000+ range but I have only had bad experiences with the sub $500 "space saver" mills that fold up and can be put away when not in use.

Did you factor the fact that I am small and light too? Very Happy
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:11 pm

Jerry wrote:
Chris M wrote:My experience has been no. They are simply too small and too light to comfortably do real training on. Can a space saver mill work in a pinch when you need to get in a 6 mile run? Sure. Would you want to be using it multiple times a week? No way. Plus most of them are so small motor-wise that you will burn them out with even semi-regular usage. I had good success with buying a reconditioned commerical machine and others have had good success with buying fairly large mills in the $1000+ range but I have only had bad experiences with the sub $500 "space saver" mills that fold up and can be put away when not in use.

Did you factor the fact that I am small and light too? Very Happy

I'm about your size, Jerry, and I agree with Chris. In a pinch - good, but for a long run or any extended about of time (i.e.years), no. I spent about $2200 on a treadmill 16 yrs ago Jerry, and I'm still running on it (at least 1x per week for speedwork in the winter due to darkness). It is still going strong, has not lost any thing, and it has been moved 3x.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:13 pm

I recently bought a treadmill, and I considered one that folded. But when I really considered that it really didn't save any space, I went with a different non-folding model. I found that when the fold-able mills were folded, they still required a good deal of space as they don't fold totally together. They fold up into a 'V' shaped thing.
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:14 pm

I've had folding tm's for 16 years now. I foound that outside of folding it up for vacuuming, there still wasn't any other place to put it as it's still not a small piece of equipment. I had a cheapie and it lasted for 15 years of walking, not running. I purchased the Nordic Track commercial 1750 last fall...a very healthy heavier machine that folds up but again, where would I put it? I believe this machine could really take a beating as far as marathon training with no problems. $1499 plus hidden discounts here and there.
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down