365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keep Pushin'

+18
Schuey
Joel H
mul21
T Miller
John Kilpatrick
Alex Kubacki
Ken Mello
ounce
Mike MacLellan
Michael Enright
Peg Coover
Seth Harrison
Michele "1L" Keane
Dave-O
fostever
Dave Wolfe
Mark B
KathyK
22 posters

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Keep Pushin'  - Page 6 Empty Re: Keep Pushin'

Post  Mark B Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:03 am

Mike MacLellan wrote:Take the dog home. What a Face

Nice idea!

Enjoy the run Saturday. I'm sure Jack - and Suzanne - appreciate it.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:06 am

Mike MacLellan wrote:Take the dog home. What a Face

Ya know....I thought about it. It looks just like a dog that I had through all of my single mother years.....
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:22 am

[quote="Mark B]
Enjoy the run Saturday. I'm sure Jack - and Suzanne - appreciate it.[/quote]

Thanks Mark! Jack and I started doing this run together when we first started dating. I had already registered for the race before we started dating. He wasn't yet a runner. When I found out his daughter died from a brain tumor, I asked if I could run in Suzanne's memory. He was thrilled. Then he decided to be a runner, too.

-------------------------------------

I did my strength/toning/rolling/stretching thing this morning. I'll do 4 miles this evening. It's supposed to be storming by the time I get off work, so it may be another treadmill run.

I leave early Monday morning to go to Atlanta/Peachtree City. My sister's surgery is Tuesday morning. She's very scared. The odds on in her favor that things will turn out ok for her (70%). But there is still soooo much that can go wrong. Her cancer is stage III. I'm scared too. This is my little sister. Yes, she's 49, but she's still my little sister. When I talked to her the other day, we still managed to laugh a lot. She is the rock of her family. While she's in the hospital, I'll do whatever I can to help support her, her husband and her daughters.

Keep Pushin'
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:20 pm

And if you need anything, just contact me - I might be on the northside, but I'm here.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:03 pm

My little sister turned 50 yesterday, but she's still my little sister! I can relate. Good luck with everything, and we'll light a candle for her.
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:55 am

I hope everything works out for your sister, Kathy.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:03 pm

Thinking good thoughts for your little sister - and you - tomorrow, Kathy. Karma rockets are on their way.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Tue May 01, 2012 8:33 pm

Good thoughts from all and your facebook post sounded positive!
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed May 02, 2012 2:44 pm

Hope all is going/went well with your sister. I chuckled when I saw your post about the PC bike/golf cart paths - fun place to run and they have lots of races down there.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Tue May 08, 2012 2:01 pm

Thanks everyone, for your good thoughts and positive karma for my sister.

The surgery went well, and she was out of the hospital 2 days sooner than they expected. She's feeling as good as she can given her innards were taken apart and re-sectioned. But the pathology report delivered on Friday showed cancer in 10 of 11 lymph nodes that were removed. So, certainly more chemo is in her future, but not sure what else. She'll meet with her surgeon later this week, and the radiation oncologist next week. If it's not too much trouble, could you please consider keeping her in your thoughts and prayers?

I spent almost a week with her and her family. But I did work in some sort of exercise most days that I was there. I went for two runs on the cart paths in Peachtree City, did Zumba one day and my morning workout routine another day.

My first run was the day after my sister's surgery. I spent the night of her surgery with her in the hospital, and when I got back to her house I did a slow 4 mile run on the cart paths winding through Peachtree City to unwind a bit.

My second run was with my son. He was able to travel up from Fort Rucker, AL. He and I ran a slightly faster 3 miles, then walked and talked another mile.

I came home from Peachtree City Sunday evening and was mentally and physically exhausted. I hopped on the elliptical for 30 minutes Monday morning to try to get back in the groove. But I was pooped all day. When I got home from work Monday, I told Jack I was going to take a quick power nap. I woke up 2 hours later. Just in time to eat and go back to bed.

I ran another 3 miles on the treadmill this morning before work, and finally feel halfway human again.

whew...keep pushin', indeed.
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue May 08, 2012 2:14 pm

Rest up and replenish for the next battle. Hang in there.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H Tue May 08, 2012 2:44 pm

You and your sister are in my prayers! Glad the surgery went well.
Joel H
Joel H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue May 08, 2012 2:54 pm

Great news about your sister, and good for you for staying as active as you can right now. Your body is processing an overwhelming amount of stress right now, so doing what you can, when you can, is the way to go.

Keeping up the good thoughts!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Tue May 08, 2012 3:21 pm

Yes on the prayers. Do me a favor - what is your sister's first name? Makes it easier than "please help Kathy's sister...".

Smile
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed May 09, 2012 9:16 am

Good news, Kathy!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Thu May 10, 2012 4:57 pm

ounce wrote:Rest up and replenish for the next battle. Hang in there.
After a few good nights of sleep, I already feel like a new woman!

Joel H wrote:You and your sister are in my prayers! Glad the surgery went well.
Thanks so much, Joel!

Mark B wrote:Great news about your sister, and good for you for staying as active as you can right now. Your body is processing an overwhelming amount of stress right now, so doing what you can, when you can, is the way to go.

Keeping up the good thoughts!
Yep, do what I can, when I can...that's the way I'm rolling right now. The activity does help manage the stress, though. Thanks for the good thoughts!

Michael Enright wrote:Yes on the prayers. Do me a favor - what is your sister's first name? Makes it easier than "please help Kathy's sister...".

Smile
Thanks Michael...her name is Diane.

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Good news, Kathy!
Thanks Michele!

I talked to my sister, Diane, last night. She had a visit with her surgeon. He took out the staples and cleared her to drive or do most anything she wants to do activity-wise except for sit ups and weight lifting. (or lifting anything over 10 pounds). He confirmed to her that there were 'frozen' cancer cells in 10 of the 11 lymph nodes he removed, but the state they were in confirmed the chemo had done its job. She meets with her radiation oncologist on Monday.

Her spirit and outlook continue to stay positive. I'm totally inspired by her!
----------------------------------------------
On to running, etc

I hopped on the elliptical yesterday morning for 30 minutes. I usually run after work during the week, but due to a post-work meeting today, I ran 3 miles this morning on the treadmill before work.

My knee is feeling pretty darned good. Not perfect, but certainly much better than it was. Sometimes it takes a few minutes for it to want to run, but once I'm going, all is well.
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Fri May 11, 2012 8:19 am

That's good to hear about your sister. Use the running to take a mental break and hopefully the blood flow will make you feel better.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Fri May 25, 2012 4:22 pm

I've accepted it. I'm getting older and most certainly SLOWER... to a startling degree.
But on my run yesterday, I just accepted it and enjoyed the heck out of my run. It was about 85 and humid. I ran ~4.5 miles, and I enjoyed every step. I decided that pace is not a priority any more. But continuing to enjoy running IS a priority.

Even though I haven't been posting, I've been running 3 days a week, and doing some other form of cardio 3 days a week, and strength training 2 days a week, and keep one day for (active) rest. So I haven't been sitting on my butt.

The biggest problem with being a female at this wonderful age (53) is that hormones shift such that it's REALLY tough to keep weight off. My body is changing. It WANTS to fill out around the middle no matter what I do. My body wants to look....matronly. ugh.

But I just have to accept it. I am what I am. I am a 53 year old woman. But I am a FIT 53 year old woman. I'll accept that I'm not 23, 33, or even 43 anymore....but that doesn't mean I will let myself 'go'. And I never will.

Keep pushin'
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:52 pm

It's been so long since I posted here, I forgot the title. Keep Pushin'...oh yeah, now I remember!

Medical updates first.
Jack's cancer doesn't appear to be growing/spreading as of his last test at the end of June. So we are in a holding pattern with him. We've chosen an 'active surveillance' approach to deal with his cancer.

My sister is about 50% done with chemo. She gets a treatment Monday, then gets infused Tuesday and Wednesday. She's sick and totally horizontal all week. Then she gets a week off during which she begins to feel human again just in time to have another week of treatment. I saw her again just prior to chemo and she was really skinny. I can only imagine how she looks now. I pray to our God that the treatments are working. She still has her sense of humor, and when we talk, we spend most of our time laughing!

My knee. It's been feeling ok. Still not perfect. But not bad enough to keep me from running.

On to running. I'm slowly, ever soooo slowly, building up my miles. Beginning last week, on Tuesdays/Thursday's I ran 6 miles. Then just a bit longer on Saturday morning. (I'm a 3 day a week runner). Last Saturday, it was 8.

It's taken me a long time to build up to runs longer than 5 miles. I just wanted to be cautious about my knee. And since I'm not training for anything (other than a mud run in September), I have the luxury of time to build up miles.

This summer, as everyone knows, has been brutally hot. My rule is that if it is above 92, I can run inside on the treadmill. I'm so glad that we bought a mill back in January, so I don't have any excuses to get my runs done even if it's too hot outside.

Last night, it was only 83, so I ran outside. But it was soooooo humid. I came back totally drenched. But it was still a good run. Slow, but good. I ran 6 miles. An out and back route that included my beloved (behated?) Helpful Hill.
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:23 pm

KathyK wrote:It's been so long since I posted here, I forgot the title. Keep Pushin'...oh yeah, now I remember!

Medical updates first.
Jack's cancer doesn't appear to be growing/spreading as of his last test at the end of June. So we are in a holding pattern with him. We've chosen an 'active surveillance' approach to deal with his cancer.

My sister is about 50% done with chemo. She gets a treatment Monday, then gets infused Tuesday and Wednesday. She's sick and totally horizontal all week. Then she gets a week off during which she begins to feel human again just in time to have another week of treatment. I saw her again just prior to chemo and she was really skinny. I can only imagine how she looks now. I pray to our God that the treatments are working. She still has her sense of humor, and when we talk, we spend most of our time laughing!

My knee. It's been feeling ok. Still not perfect. But not bad enough to keep me from running.

On to running. I'm slowly, ever soooo slowly, building up my miles. Beginning last week, on Tuesdays/Thursday's I ran 6 miles. Then just a bit longer on Saturday morning. (I'm a 3 day a week runner). Last Saturday, it was 8.

It's taken me a long time to build up to runs longer than 5 miles. I just wanted to be cautious about my knee. And since I'm not training for anything (other than a mud run in September), I have the luxury of time to build up miles.

This summer, as everyone knows, has been brutally hot. My rule is that if it is above 92, I can run inside on the treadmill. I'm so glad that we bought a mill back in January, so I don't have any excuses to get my runs done even if it's too hot outside.

Last night, it was only 83, so I ran outside. But it was soooooo humid. I came back totally drenched. But it was still a good run. Slow, but good. I ran 6 miles. An out and back route that included my beloved (behated?) Helpful Hill.

I think I have the same love/hate relationship with my nearby hill!

Good that Diane has not lost her sense of humor!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:01 pm

Thanks Michael...yes, hills certainly do inspire a love/hate relationship. And thanks for the continuing thoughts for my sister.
-------------------
This morning I got up and did my sit ups and push ups. Then I did the Zumba Sculpt and Tone workout. Good way to start the day! That was followed up by a visit to the dentist. Then on to work.

It's only supposed to get to 90 today, so my 6 miler after work will be outside. I'll do the Helpful Hill route again.
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:43 pm

Nice to see you back on here Kathy.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:24 pm

Great to hear from you Kathy. In all that time away, I have left Atlanta and moved back up to Ohio. Guess I won't see you now unless I visit my sister in Greensboro sometime.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:58 am

Alex Kubacki wrote:Nice to see you back on here Kathy.
Thanks Alex!

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Great to hear from you Kathy. In all that time away, I have left Atlanta and moved back up to Ohio. Guess I won't see you now unless I visit my sister in Greensboro sometime.
Hi Michele...yep, I knew you moved to Ohio after your daughter graduated. Please do let me know if you are in the Greensboro area to visit your sister...that's an easy drive from my house.
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:04 am

I did a slow sweaty 6 mile run last night after work on the Helpful Hill route. I'm making friends with Helpful Hill again, and it's good to get out of my neighborhood loop. My pace is soooo slow, though, over a minute/mile slower than it was a couple of years ago. But my body (knee) seems to be handling the slow mileage buildup without complaining over much. I wonder if it's time to start adding a bit of speed work on one of my three running days to try to get my legs moving again? Since I'm not training for anything in particular, I wonder what type of speed work would be best...I'm open to your suggestions!

KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum