365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keep Pushin'

+18
Schuey
Joel H
mul21
T Miller
John Kilpatrick
Alex Kubacki
Ken Mello
ounce
Mike MacLellan
Michael Enright
Peg Coover
Seth Harrison
Michele "1L" Keane
Dave-O
fostever
Dave Wolfe
Mark B
KathyK
22 posters

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Keep Pushin'  - Page 5 Empty Re: Keep Pushin'

Post  Michael Enright Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:38 am

Nice fiver!!

Zumba Zumba!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:49 pm

Michael Enright wrote:Nice fiver!!

Zumba Zumba!

Thanks Michael! Zumba Zumba indeed! I'll be doing more of that tomorrow morning!

Today, after work, I'll be running 4 miles. Hopefully, my knee will handle this slow build up of miles.
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:51 am

I've been wanting to try Zumba. I have no rhythm so I'm sure it would be comical.

Good job!
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:37 am

Great job Kathy. It's coming together.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:49 am

Peg Coover wrote:I've been wanting to try Zumba. I have no rhythm so I'm sure it would be comical.

Good job!

Zumba is fun, Peg, you should give it a try! I'm doing it in the privacy of my own home, so even though I know I look comical, I do it anyway! Interestingly, I feel muscle soreness in areas around my middle section that surprises me. Didn't know I was working my mid-section that hard. Not my abs, but my sides. It's all good!

Alex Kubacki wrote:Great job Kathy. It's coming together.
I hope so, Alex. I'm still a bit nervous that the knee won't hold up. Time will tell..

---------------------------------------------------

Tuesday evening's run was interesting. Jack went with me for the first 2 miles (two laps around our neighborhood) He hasn't run in a long time, so it was good to have him along!

Then I took a slightly altered routed, down a half-mile dead end road and back. The road has ~25 homes on it. There is a very friendly dog that live at one house near the turn around point at the dead end. The dog has followed me before back up to the main road, then on to the highway where we live. I've spoken to the owner about that several times, and he always says "She'll come back home". I've expressed my concern that the dog will get hit on the highway.

Anyway, on Tuesday, the dog came running out to me after I'd made it to the turn around and was headed back up the hill to the main road. Now, I was on the OTHER side of the road from the dog owner's home. She scooted beween my front and back leg mid-stride and sent me flying. Once I regained my balance and composure, I walked back down toward the dog owner's home and called to him to get his dog. I told him again that I was worried for the dog's safety and my own as the dog just sent me flying.

He told me that "I wish you'd just stay on your f-ing (but he said the real word) end of the road and stay the f (again the real word) away from here!"

I said "Excuse me?"

He said "Don't even talk to me and stay the f on the other end of the f-ing road"

I said "Sir, I wasn't on your property, I was on the other side of the road and she came out and tripped me. I was in the ROAD, not even on your side of the road. I'll stand still until you catch your dog so she won't follow me back up to the highway."

Well, the dog kept running from him (honestly, I can see why). Finally I realized that he didn't give a dang about his dog and that I should just move on. But I was ticked and charged up the hill at a faster pace than my level of fitness on the hot day would support. So I had to walk a bit at the end of the 3rd mile.

But mile 4 was fine. I was hot, it was 85 but I kept thinking about all of my friends who had run Boston in that temperature and was inspired by their determination.

When I got back home, I told Jack about my run in with the obese dog owner. He was ready to go have a 'talk' with him. I told him that wouldn't do any good. But if the jerk verbally assulted me again, I'd personally drive Jack over to the man's house for a talk. When Jack gets mad, ya don't want to be in his way.

The next morning I did 30 minutes of Zumba again. This morning I did my strength and toning routine. I'm planning another 4 mile run tonight. Do I dare run down the dead end again this evening?

Keep pushin', y'all
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:14 am

Wow, sorry to hear about the run in with the dog owner. He doesn't sound like a pleasant person at all. I know I wouldn't go back down that road again, too much of a hassle!
Joel H
Joel H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:59 pm

Damn - what a crazy dog guy. Maybe you want to stay the "F" away as he sounds like a loose cannon. Glad to see you getting those runs in though.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:47 am

What an ahole that guy is.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:47 am

Joel H wrote:Wow, sorry to hear about the run in with the dog owner. He doesn't sound like a pleasant person at all. I know I wouldn't go back down that road again, too much of a hassle!

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Damn - what a crazy dog guy. Maybe you want to stay the "F" away as he sounds like a loose cannon. Glad to see you getting those runs in though.

Alex Kubacki wrote:What an ahole that guy is.

Loose cannon, ahole, not a pleasant person. Yep, I agree. He seems like one of those guys who is really resentful of people who keep fit. Tempting as it was to run back that way yesterday....I resisted.
I had a frustrating day at work yesterday, and was ready to tackle another encounter with that jerk. When I got home, Jack was mowing and I told him I was going for a run. He said "Just stay away from that ahole....I don't feel like getting in a fight tonight..." I agreed.

I ran a 2+ mile loop that took me half way down 'Helpful Hill'. I ran just to the top of the steep part of the hill. I knew my knee wasn't ready for the downhill running that the full Helpful Hill route has in store. Even though I only ran part of the hill, my knee still yelled at me just before the turn around point. It was ticked about the long slow downhill, even though it wasn't at all steep. I walked a few steps at the turn around, then made my way back up the hill and back to the start of the loop. My knee felt fine once I started going back uphill.

I looped back to the house, round the 'hood, then back to Helpful Hill. I figured my knee would be fine. I was wrong. At the exact same spot as the first loop, my knee screamed. I repeated the walking at the turn around, then started running back up the hill. Again, all was well.

I finished the 4.45 mile run feeling fine. I was slow, though, but that's ok. I'm still just trying to make sure I can finish all of my runs. I didn't download my run yet, so I don't know my splits...but they were slow. Of that I'm sure.

When I got back to the house, I iced my knee and took some Ibuprofen. My knee feels ok this morning. Not perfect, but nothing I'm concerned about. I did 35 minutes of Zumba this morning.

I have a 6 mile run planned for tomorrow morning. I'll do that at LSD pace.
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:47 am

Joel H wrote:Wow, sorry to hear about the run in with the dog owner. He doesn't sound like a pleasant person at all. I know I wouldn't go back down that road again, too much of a hassle!

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Damn - what a crazy dog guy. Maybe you want to stay the "F" away as he sounds like a loose cannon. Glad to see you getting those runs in though.

Alex Kubacki wrote:What an ahole that guy is.

Loose cannon, ahole, not a pleasant person. Yep, I agree. He seems like one of those guys who is really resentful of people who keep fit. Tempting as it was to run back that way yesterday....I resisted.
I had a frustrating day at work yesterday, and was ready to tackle another encounter with that jerk. When I got home, Jack was mowing and I told him I was going for a run. He said "Just stay away from that ahole....I don't feel like getting in a fight tonight..." I agreed.

I ran a 2+ mile loop that took me half way down 'Helpful Hill'. I ran just to the top of the steep part of the hill. I knew my knee wasn't ready for the downhill running that the full Helpful Hill route has in store. Even though I only ran part of the hill, my knee still yelled at me just before the turn around point. It was ticked about the long slow downhill, even though it wasn't at all steep. I walked a few steps at the turn around, then made my way back up the hill and back to the start of the loop. My knee felt fine once I started going back uphill.

I looped back to the house, round the 'hood, then back to Helpful Hill. I figured my knee would be fine. I was wrong. At the exact same spot as the first loop, my knee screamed. I repeated the walking at the turn around, then started running back up the hill. Again, all was well.

I finished the 4.45 mile run feeling fine. I was slow, though, but that's ok. I'm still just trying to make sure I can finish all of my runs. I didn't download my run yet, so I don't know my splits...but they were slow. Of that I'm sure.

When I got back to the house, I iced my knee and took some Ibuprofen. My knee feels ok this morning. Not perfect, but nothing I'm concerned about. I did 35 minutes of Zumba this morning.

I have a 6 mile run planned for tomorrow morning. I'll do that at LSD pace.
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:41 am

Unfortunately there are a lot of jerks in this world. Sad that it makes you alter your routes, but it's just not worth it. Hoping your knee settles down.
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:04 pm

Have you had your knee checked by a doctor yet? It may be something you may want to do as it doesn't sound like the knee is getting better since it keeps barking at you.
Joel H
Joel H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:42 pm

What a schmuck. Do you know what the animal control rules are for your area? If he has a dog running loose, and others report it to (you can't be the only person the dog is friendly with), you might be able to save the poor mutt's life. That said, I think I'd just find another route. Life is too short to burden yourself with battles with guys like Mr. Personality. It's just not worth it.

Easy on the knee! Give it time and it'll come along, but don't rush it.

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:51 pm

Joel H wrote:Have you had your knee checked by a doctor yet? It may be something you may want to do as it doesn't sound like the knee is getting better since it keeps barking at you.

I haven't been to a doctor yet...given all of the other family health challenges, I feel like my runner's knee is pretty low on the list of priorities these days. Seems almost superficial compared to cancer. But the truth is that my knee is getting better....when I took time off of running, it was becuase I could NOT run another step. It hurt way too much. Couldn't get up and down stairs. But even today, after my knee getting mad at me last night, I just made a round trip to the 5th floor without any real pain. (I'm old, so there is always *some* pain). I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and take it day by day. If it gets really bad again, I'll go in to a doctor.

Mark B wrote:What a schmuck. Do you know what the animal control rules are for your area? If he has a dog running loose, and others report it to (you can't be the only person the dog is friendly with), you might be able to save the poor mutt's life. That said, I think I'd just find another route. Life is too short to burden yourself with battles with guys like Mr. Personality. It's just not worth it.

Easy on the knee! Give it time and it'll come along, but don't rush it.

The dogs are *supposed* to be confined to the yard, and I would be within my rights to do what I needed to do to the dog if I felt threatened. I think the poor thing just wants to go for a walk and her owner is too fat and lazy to take her. But I agree that altering the route is the right thing to do. But a little part of me HATES to see a bully get their way just because they are a bully.
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:23 pm

I hate when a dog interferes with my running!

Hang in there with the knee and everything else!
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:34 pm

Hopefully the knee comes around and you can run worry free.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:02 pm

Thanks Peg and Alex!

I ran 6 miles on Saturday morning...that's my longest I've run for nearly 2 months! Yay! Jack ran with me for the first 3 miles, then I did an additional 3 on my own. My knee didn't want to start the run, but after the first 30 seconds, it was fine. I even challenged my knee with the same route that I did the other day, and it felt fine.

I was aiming for ~10:30 pace. While I don't remember all of my splits, overall it was at a 10:20 pace with the last mile being the fastest at 9:39.

I iced and took Ibuprofen after the run, and didn't have any knee issues at all for the rest of the day.

I did 35 minutes of Zumba this morning before work. Tomorrow I'll do my strength/toning routine before work, then run 4+ after work.
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:43 pm

That's great news, awesome!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:08 pm

Glad to hear it is better then and looks like you had a solid weekend of running.
Joel H
Joel H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:16 pm

Good to see Kathy! I bet that felt mentally really really good to hit 6 miles after a layoff!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Wolfe Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:12 pm

No knee issues sounds great. 6 miles is great as well really making a come back.
Dave Wolfe
Dave Wolfe
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:09 am

Michael Enright wrote:That's great news, awesome!

Thanks! Michael!

Joel H wrote:Glad to hear it is better then and looks like you had a solid weekend of running.

Thanks Joel...still way under 20 miles for the week, but slow but sure build up.

John Kilpatrick wrote:Good to see Kathy! I bet that felt mentally really really good to hit 6 miles after a layoff!
John, Thanks! Yes, very good for the mind, body and soul!

Dave Wolfe wrote:No knee issues sounds great. 6 miles is great as well really making a come back.

Thanks Dave. It's HARD to come back at this age....so any run is a good one!

----------------------------------------------------------

Did my strength/toning/stretching/rolling routine this morning. 4+ miles planned tonight after work.
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:49 am

speedy!
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:05 pm

Peg Coover wrote:speedy!

Not exactly:no: But maybe someday I can speed up a little more...

-------------------------------

When I got home from work yesterday, it was cold and windy. I didn't feel like being cold and blown around, so I did a treadmill run. Slow and steady. 4 miles. My knee was angry at first, and really didn't want to run. But once I got started, I was fine until 1.3 miles...then it got mad again, but only for a few strides. I iced and took Ibuprofen afterwards to ward off any lingering angry-ness. It feels fine today.

I did 35 minutes of Zumba again this morning. Tomorrow morning, I'll do my strength/toning/rolling/stretching thing, then do another 4 mile run in the evening.

I have a 5K coming up on Saturday monring. We do this race every year to honor the memory of Jack's late daughter, Suzanne. He lost her ~15 years ago to a brain tumor when she was just 15. The race is called 'Angels Among Us'. The Duke brain tumor center sponsors it, and funds raised go to the center. I expect to run a personal worst on this course, because I'm sooo not in fast 5K shape this year. And the course is hilly, so I'm afraid my knee will not enjoy going down the hills.

Even though I expect to run a personal worst, we'll still have a wonderful day. This is the 7th year I've run this race. I am the team captaiin for our team. This year, we'll have only a dozen or so runners, other years we've had as many as 25. All of us wear a hot pink bandana. Pink was Suzanne's favorite color. I never had the pleasure of knowing Suzanne, but this is always my way of being connected to her.
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:05 pm

Take the dog home. What a Face
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse