365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Road to Nowhere

+28
Dave P
wheakory
Jerry
Alex Kubacki
Schuey
Dave-O
Dave Wolfe
ounce
Michael Enright
KathyK
dot520
Neil Ruggiero
mul21
Seth Harrison
MioMabusy
Joel H
Kenny B.
Glenn
Michele "1L" Keane
charles.moman
John Kilpatrick
JohnP
Traveller
Sara Jane
Bob
Mike MacLellan
Tom H
Mark B
32 posters

Page 1 of 43 1, 2, 3 ... 22 ... 43  Next

Go down

Road to Nowhere Empty Road to Nowhere

Post  Mark B Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:36 am

Somewhere an a trail in Indiana's Yellowwood State Forest last December, a thought that has been taking shape deep inside my head began to worm its way into my consciousness.

"You know what?" it said. "You're really not enjoying this."

Yes, I know: Just about EVERYBODY thinks that at one time or another in that no-man's land between the half marathon point and the end of a marathon. But this time, it felt different.

Maybe it was the fact that the last satisfying race I ran was in 2009.

Maybe it was that every big race since then has ended, more or less, in disaster.

Maybe it was that, hours into a very tough trail marathon, I knew I had hours left to go and didn't really know if I could - or even wanted to - make the cut-off and finish.

At some point, the reason why doesn't matter. What mattered was that the conclusion I reached during the Eugene Marathon last May - that I wanted to be done with racing - wasn't simply limited to road marathons.

It was racing itself.

It seems to me that racing makes the stakes too high - when something like a twisted ankle, bad meal or unexpected conditions can ruin months of careful preparation. (You can shake off one bad race, but five in a row? Not so much.)

Even the timing of races is a problem: you build up to decent mileage, start to feel the extra training do its job, just in time to cut miles for the taper, race and recovery period.

That last bit might be the most annoying part of it. Racing gets in the way of running.

Which brings us to… my blog's title and theme song for 2012, courtesy of The Talking Heads:

Road to Nowhere

Well we know where we're goin'
But we don't know where we've been
And we know what we're knowin'
But we can't say what we've seen
And we're not little children
And we know what we want
And the future is certain
Give us time to work it out

We're on a ride to nowhere
Come on inside
Takin' that ride to nowhere
We'll take that ride

I'm feelin' okay this mornin'
And you know,
We're on the road to paradise
Here we go, here we go

[CHORUS]

Maybe you wonder where you are
I don't care
Here is where time is on our side
Take you there...take you there

We're on a road to nowhere

There's a city in my mind
Come along and take that ride
and it's all right, baby, it's all right

And it's very far away
But it's growing day by day
And it's all right, baby, it's all right

Would you like to come along
And to help me sing this song

They can tell you what to do
But they'll make a fool of you

That's right: I'm going nowhere.

2012 will be the year without a goal race or massive training cycle. It's time for a break.

Now, that doesn't mean that I'm taking a break from running. The truth is quite the opposite. My plan (once I get out of this #$@! walking boot) is to steadily build up the weekly mileage and hold it there. Exactly how many miles, I'm not sure yet; it will depend on what my body and schedule will allow.

I'll get into more details as the blog progresses. But don't be surprised to see a return of low heart rate training, as well as trail runs, hills, llamas … and maybe even a spur-of-the-moment race. You know, just for kicks.

I have no idea how this is all going to turn out. But if it works the way I hope it does, it'll put me on track toward a much larger goal: To end up running a very long way in the middle of nowhere, and loving it.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Road to Nowhere Empty Re: Road to Nowhere

Post  Tom H Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:24 am

Mark - I understand where you are coming from. It may be the right time to reboot (pun intended) and get back to a place where you can enjoy running once again. I look forward to the adventures, llamas, scary splashes in the dark and some great observations on the roads/trails you are running.
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:45 am

Amen, Mark.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:09 pm

Love it, Mark. Happy New Year.
Bob
Bob
Lord Bobby
Lord Bobby

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara Jane Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:54 pm

<3
Sara Jane
Sara Jane
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Traveller Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:12 pm

Good Luck, Mark!

Sometimes a reboot (I steal from the best) is just what is needed.
Traveller
Traveller

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:29 pm

Good luck, Mark. You have the foundation for this eventual re-start as you did a long slow steady climb with the LHR training. i think that will be very beneficial to you.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:09 pm

I think it sounds great - take some pics while out - you always have interesting outings and come up with cool pictures. Enjoy 2012, runner!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:59 pm

Tom H wrote:Mark - I understand where you are coming from. It may be the right time to reboot (pun intended) and get back to a place where you can enjoy running once again. I look forward to the adventures, llamas, scary splashes in the dark and some great observations on the roads/trails you are running.

"Reboot"? Ouch! Even from you, Tom, that was painful!

Mike MacLellan wrote:Amen, Mark.

Thank you, Brother Mike! We'll both work our way through our Sisyphean angst soon enough. I promise.

Bob wrote:Love it, Mark. Happy New Year.

Thanks, Bob. My Mayan horoscope (I'm a white spectral dog, if you're keeping track - find yours here! ) says I need to let go of the illusion of control in 2012, which sounds like a pretty good idea. What it specifically says: "This year asks you to let something go, forgive, release, let go of control so that you can be liberated from something. Simplicity. Stripping away. Liberation!" Me likey. Very Happy

Sara Jane wrote:<3

Thanks, SJ!

Traveller wrote:Good Luck, Mark!

Sometimes a reboot (I steal from the best) is just what is needed.

Ouch again! Did NOT see that one coming. And I think you're right, Clark.

JohnP wrote:Good luck, Mark. You have the foundation for this eventual re-start as you did a long slow steady climb with the LHR training. i think that will be very beneficial to you.

Thanks, John. I'm thinking that it's time to get back to what worked so well a few years ago. Maybe the flaw wasn't the system, but how I was approaching it.

John Kilpatrick wrote:I think it sounds great - take some pics while out - you always have interesting outings and come up with cool pictures. Enjoy 2012, runner!

You bet, John! And I'll be sure to have something with me to take photos while I'm at it.

For those youngsters who think MTV only has horrid reality TV shows, it once played music videos. (Honest!) Like this one, which I still find marvelously quirky. Very Happy

Last edited by Mark B on Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:00 pm; edited 4 times in total
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:05 pm

You are a wise man.
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

http://www.charlesmoman.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:28 pm

I admit, I had to look up sisyphean. Great word.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:12 pm

Sounds like a fun adventure. Remember it isn't a failure if you find an "event" you want to add to this "adventure" either.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:58 pm

charles.moman wrote:You are a wise man.

Thanks, Charles. But if I were truly wise, I probably would have tried this a long time ago!

Mike MacLellan wrote:I admit, I had to look up sisyphean. Great word.

It seemed apt.

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Sounds like a fun adventure. Remember it isn't a failure if you find an "event" you want to add to this "adventure" either.

Good point, Michele. I will allow myself to be opportunistic, if the opportunity arises and it feels right.

Actually, that's why I listed "not racing" as my official New Year's resolution for 2012. Everybody breaks their resolutions, don't they? Wink
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:06 pm

It's going to be a little difficult feeding this blog for a while, what with my left foot all trussed up waiting for whatever is wrong with it to finally heal up. I have a note into my doctor to find out if anything turned up in the X-ray they did last week. I doubt anything will show up, but I hate not knowing.

I could go on about my Oregon Ducks winning the Rose Bowl yesterday (finally!!!), but I'll spare you the quacking. Very Happy

Instead, here's a photo I took this morning as we were walking Alec to the bus stop. It was moist and mild, with a pinkish sunrise.

Road to Nowhere 01031210

Hope everybody has a good week.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:10 am

Good news, bad news...

Good news: The X-rays showed no sign of any fracture.

Bad news: My foot still hurts, actually a bit more with the boot on.

Good news: My doctor has conceded to refer me to a podiatrist for a closer look.

Bad news: Until I see that podiatrist, my doctor says, I should use crutches.

Road to Nowhere Headba10

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Traveller Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:37 am

Mark B wrote:Good news, bad news...

Good news: My doctor has conceded to refer me to a podiatrist for a closer look.

Road to Nowhere Headba10

Ain't that the way it always goes with doctors. I hope you get a good answer and get back out there in the minimum appropriate time.

BTW, I blame you for the ear worm I've had all day. Of course, Road to Nowhere isn't bad as ear worms go. Smile
Traveller
Traveller

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:51 am

Traveller wrote:
Mark B wrote:Good news, bad news...

Road to Nowhere Headba10

Ain't that the way it always goes with doctors. I hope you get a good answer and get back out there in the minimum appropriate time.

BTW, I blame you for the ear worm I've had all day. Of course, Road to Nowhere isn't bad as ear worms go. Smile

I have the same ear worm - thanks, Mark!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Glenn Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:31 pm

Alright, a shiny new New Years blog. I totally get it! I occasionally have to remind myself (especially after a bad race) that the goal is to be running well into old-age.... Not hitting PRs every race. If the marathon is a carrot to make that happen, cool. If it takes something else - also cool.
Glenn
Glenn
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:35 pm

Mark,

Just re-entering the boards a bit and sorry to hear about your foot pain. Is the solution on the horizon? I hope so.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:51 pm

I like your new blog...I feel somewhat the same way right now with regards to running. I still owe you a blog but it won't show up until after my race in less than 2 weeks. Wink
Joel H
Joel H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:52 pm

Traveller wrote:

Thanks, Clark! It could be worse, you know. I just looked up the "Hit for the week you were born" bit on FB, and now I can't get "Sugar Shack" out of my head. Aiee!!

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:

I have the same ear worm - thanks, Mark!

Like I said, it could be worse! ("There's this crazy little shack....")

Glenn wrote:Alright, a shiny new New Years blog. I totally get it! I occasionally have to remind myself (especially after a bad race) that the goal is to be running well into old-age.... Not hitting PRs every race. If the marathon is a carrot to make that happen, cool. If it takes something else - also cool.

That's exactly it, Glenn. My desire to keep running just to run far outstrips any ego-driven goals. I'm not saying I'll never race again, mind you. Just not anytime soon.

Kenny B. wrote:Mark,

Just re-entering the boards a bit and sorry to hear about your foot pain. Is the solution on the horizon? I hope so.

Boy, I hope so, Kenny. I see a podiatrist on Friday. Hopefully he will be a good one.

Joel H wrote:I like your new blog...I feel somewhat the same way right now with regards to running. I still owe you a blog but it won't show up until after my race in less than 2 weeks. Wink

That's all right, Joel. I can wait. Good luck in your race!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:13 pm

Good luck with the podiatrist on Friday. I am sure you will update us.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:12 pm

Kenny B. wrote:Good luck with the podiatrist on Friday. I am sure you will update us.

But of course, Kenny! It IS a blog, after all. Very Happy

So here's the update:

I went to the podiatrist this morning wearing a boot and trying to navigate on crutches.

I got back home walking in my Free Runs.

Woot!

It's not quite as simple as that, of course, but I got what I'm taking as mostly good news.

The podiatrist (unlike my doctor) worked every joint and tendon in my foot, testing what caused pain and what didn't. Nothing lifted me off the table, but there was one spot that definitely hurt. Diagnosis: Probable tendonitis of the peroneal brevis tendon.

Road to Nowhere Ankle_10

He said if it wasn't helping to be on crutches, it'd be fine to go without. He said I might try it without the boot, as well, but go back to the boot if things aren't getting better. He suggested the normal, icing and NSAIDs, and he put in a referral for PT, which I will probably do. Might as well be aggressive treating this. Just waiting for it to go away hasn't been as effective as it usually is.

He also took a closer look at the X-ray of my foot (those with delicate constitutions might want to avert their eyes...)

Road to Nowhere 01061210

Scary, huh? I show it not to shock (though that is fun), but rather to brag. The podiatrist said (after manipulating the joints of my foot) that, if my body hadn't done a superb job compensating for its deformity, I would have been walking on the outer edge of my feet all my life. While it looks bad here (and it is... the angle between the metatarsals and talus bones in the mid foot are supposed to be pretty much 0 to 30 degrees, the angle for mine is something like 50 degrees), when my foot is weighted, my mid and rear foot compensate - effectively forcing my foot to flatten and pronate - and allow the foot to work properly. Weird, but convenient if you want to walk.

Now, he did mention that it's not just me. Human feet are marvels of adaptation. Mine is just a fairly blatant example.

However... it wasn't all great news. Looking at the X-ray, he couldn't find much evidence of cartilage between some of my metatarsals (3rd, 4th, 5th) and mid foot bones. He saw some evidence, in other words, of early (?) arthritis. He said that has clearly been developing for years, but it's possible that my sprain might have caused inflammation that made it more evident (my foot has hurt in that area). He said it if still hurts, he could try a cortisone shot, though it wouldn't really do anything but alleviate discomfort. I said no thanks.

So, short-term, I have more time to go before hitting the roads. Long-term? I guess we'll just have to see what happens.

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Traveller Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:53 pm

Glad to hear you have news, and that a lot of it is positive.
Traveller
Traveller

Back to top Go down

Post  MioMabusy Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:37 pm

You're a cool man dude Smile

MioMabusy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down