365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Juicing (no, not that kind)

+3
Schuey
Natalie
Ken Mello
7 posters

Go down

Juicing (no, not that kind) Empty Juicing (no, not that kind)

Post  Ken Mello Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:33 pm

I think this might have been discussed before, but I'll throw it out again and see what happens.

Due to some health issues, I am going to start incorporating juicing into my regular dietary routine. I went out and bought one of the best juicers out there, and plan on starting next week.

Anyone have any experience with juicing as a significant part of one's diet (replacing 1 or 2 solid food meals per day with juices instead)? Will it affect running? My doctor says that it will give me a lot more energy, but I dont know how this will translate into activity.

Any advice/experience/suggestions would be great. I'm also looking for advice on good books, web sites, etc. Thanks!!

Ken
Ken Mello
Ken Mello
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Juicing (no, not that kind) Empty Re: Juicing (no, not that kind)

Post  Natalie Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:28 pm

I have nothing constructive to add here, but I just bought a Nespresso machine and intend to add cappuccino to my diet this year. I could use the extra caffeine drunken
Natalie
Natalie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:36 pm

We juice pretty much everyday and I love it. The best is having the fresh orange juice in the morning and making nice recovery drinks after runs. My experience Ken is that you can look up recipes to use for your diet and incorporate them in to your running routine. Lots of times I will juice the fresh fruits put in the blender with ice and protein to make a nice protein smoothie for after runs. I think you will find that it will be a great tool to use and in the long run not only help your health but will be great for your running also.

The hardest part is doing the juicing everyday and figuring out how much fruit you need to use. Other then that happy juicing!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Mello Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:17 am

Schuey

Thanks for the reply. But I think we're talking about different things - sounds like you guys use juicing to eat fresh, and to create healthier drinks. But my doctor wants me to replace meals with juice - probably start with 1 meal, and eventually move to 2. That will require much different kinds of juicing - combinations more focused on vegetables than fruits, and also requiring the addition of proteins, flaxseed, bee pollen, etc.

Maybe no one else has had to do this, so I'll report back on my own experience - I'm starting today!

Ken
Ken Mello
Ken Mello
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:21 am

I have no relevant info, but I sure hope it works out well. Actually, I think it might be kind of fun to learn about, experiment, etc.!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:47 pm

From a purely nutritional standpoint, the claims of "more energy" are pretty vague. Sure, your body may feel a bit better from the increased vitamins - particularly the Bs - in the extra produce, but with regards to actual energy, that's all calories. If you're replacing 800kcal meals with 300kcal smoothies, for example (just picking numbers), you're losing 500kcal, and that WILL affect your running.

Also, juicing takes out nearly all the fiber in produce... Is there a reason you're not being told to just eat the whole foods themselves? The lack of fiber will almost certainly raise the GI of the foods and cause a larger blood sugar/insulin spike than if they were the whole foods. Which means they're great for recovery immediately after a workout/first thing in the morning...
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Mello Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:22 pm

Mike

You're actually on the right track with your comments. The point of the juicing is to maximize nutrient intake, not necessarily to get a fully rounded meal. There are certain nutrients that can be best absorbed in liquid form, so the morning juice will serve as something like a super-vitamin in terms of boosting me up with nutrients to start the day. The rest of my meals and snacks will consists of high amounts of fibrous veggies, as well as lean proteins, to make sure I am getting everything I need during the day.

Its also hard to think of a tasty way to mix spinach, lettuce, celery, cucumber, beet leaves, garlic, carrots, ginger and apples for breakfast other than in juice form! Smile
Ken Mello
Ken Mello
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:01 pm

Can't argue with that last bit. Funny you mention that, as I've been craving V8 for breakfast lately.

Overall, sounds like a very healthy diet, and I imagine that will do wonders for your running/recovery. (I know, the opinion of a 24 year old "hobby nutritionist" stands up well against a doctor's...)
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:41 pm

Yes and No Ken. We actually do the juicing for some of the same reason you do it do to being able to absorb the vitamins much better and do a lot of stuff with veggies also. I don't think I was really clear about that in my last post, I feel that one of the other benefits of it is having the fresh juices vs something in a container plus you don't have all the added sugars.

Mike it was funny you mentioned the pulp. Because we have recipes that we use the pulp in from certain fruits and veggies so nothing goes to waste when we do our juicing.

Anyway I'm probably way off topic like I am on most things but that is ok, because I've come the realization of late that "I was born on the wrong planet!"

Carry on
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:31 pm

I would be interested in a steak juice diet. the wife always gives it to the dog. Pisses me off.
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Mello Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:16 am

healdgator wrote:I would be interested in a steak juice diet. the wife always gives it to the dog. Pisses me off.

We call that "blood" Wink
Ken Mello
Ken Mello
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  pattyspangs Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:37 am

I watched this documentary on juicing, which is really about juice fasting: http://www.fatsickandnearlydead.com/

Probably not that informative on the specifics of juicing or replacing meals, but I thought the documentary in general was really cool.
pattyspangs
pattyspangs

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down