365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Buck-O-Nine

+22
wheakory
MartinD
ounce
JohnP
Ben Z
Peg Coover
Dave P
mul21
Matt W
Mike MacLellan
Schuey
Nick Morris
pigoo
Diego
Jerry
Seth Harrison
KBFitz
John Kilpatrick
Michele "1L" Keane
Chris M
healdgator
Dave-O
26 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Buck-O-Nine - Page 5 Empty Re: Buck-O-Nine

Post  JohnP Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:55 pm

That's a bummer about the Garmin, are you getting the 610 now?

Also, the incline on the TM is your friend when you go as fast as you do. When I had the one LT test done some years ago, the administrators said that the incline gets you to LT much quicker than increasing speed. Granted for a longer workout, it does change the stride some but it will simulate a faster pace very well.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:35 am

I, too, wonder what you'll replace your Garmin with!

I had to smile when I read about your Dad trying to drop you at the end of your run with him. I can run circles around my 26 year old daughter. Not so much with my 21 year old son (he's in the Army..flight school at Ft. Rucker). Last time my son and I ran together, we were running up a long hill and he pulled ahead of me, got half way up the hill and dropped and did push ups until I caught up. Smart ass.
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:06 pm

Pittsburgh Half-Marathon Training Week 14: March 5 – 11

Monday: 4 miles – 29:52, 7:28 pace. 6 miles – 44:49, 7:28. So…ummm…when are my legs going to start feeling fresh again? I have no reason to feel fatigued coming off an 81 mile week with only two moderately hard workouts. Yet, my quads were sore. Not cool.

Tuesday: 8 miles – 50:46, with 1 mile, 1k, and 800m interval. I totally blew it! I was set up perfectly to nab a new 1 mile PR tonight; I felt fresh and with the “Bill Leach Special” on schedule, I had the right workout to do it. Prior to the workout, I reviewed my blog entry from when I ran 4:38 – during the same workout. I think it psyched me out, because I read that I opened in 65 seconds and slowly fell apart from there.

So tonight I wanted to run smarter. But I ran too safe! I ran 4:42, with splits of 2:24 and 2:18. Dammit! I almost stopped halfway through to start over, knowing I gave away too much time in the first half to PR. Oh well. The good news is that I finished the workout with a 2:53 1k (4:38 pace) and 2:18 800m (4:36 pace). During the 1k I almost continued on for the mile (only .38 more!) but I reminded myself that the 5k is the goal, not the mile.

Wednesday: 4 miles – 30:22, 7:35 pace. 6 miles – 42:07, 7:01. Also known as the Pfitzinger double recovery day.

Thursday: Off.

Friday: 5 miles – untimed, plus strides. Calm before the storm. Hopefully.

Saturday: Oak Forest Fleadh 5k. 10 miles total.

Sunday: 12 miles – 1:18:35, 6:33 pace. It’s been awhile since I’ve made the trek to Waterfall Glen, and with a free Sunday evening, I took advantage of the opportunity. The temperature was a perfect 55 degrees and with daylight savings time, I finished at 6:00 as the sun was setting. I assumed I would be a little stiff from yesterday’s race – or unfit for the hills – but once I got rolling I settled into a comfortable 6:30 pace. Solid end to an otherwise forgettable week.

That concludes the 6 week “speed” phase of the training cycle. Now it’s 8 weeks of stamina and half-marathon specific training, with a return to triple digit mileage,

Week: 53
YTD: 856
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:46 pm

Pittsburgh Half-Marathon Training Week 15: March 12 – 18

Monday: 8 miles – 58:20, 7:17 pace. 4 miles – untimed. Week 15 kicks off my final 8 weeks of half-marathon specific training. That’s the good news. The bad news is that it’s going to be one hell of a week with a full work schedule, three Bulls games, a basketball game of my own, St. Patrick’s Day on Saturday, and a goal of 100 miles. I’m stressed out even thinking about fitting it all in. It’s going to take some creativity, for example, running home from tonight’s Bulls-Knicks in jeans and a Derrick Rose jersey game to cram in 4 more miles. You can mock me, but it’s efficient.

Tuesday: 5 miles – 36:53, 7:23 pace. 12 miles – 1:15:35 with 4 x 1 mile cruise intervals. With the return the start of the race specific phase also comes a ton of lactic threshold work. I’m going to be blue in the face with tempo runs for the next 6 weeks. I decided to ease into the hard LT work with 4 x 1 mile cruise intervals with a moderate quarter mile interval. If nothing else, I just wanted to kick start getting as comfortable as possible at 5:20 pace. The first 3 repeats were into the wind tonight, and after the first passed in 5:24, I thought, “Uh oh, that didn’t feel anything like half-marathon pace.” Numbers two and three, both in 5:20, were much more comfortable. Even more reassuring was the last rep with the wind at my back, which resulted in a super smooth 5:17. In all, the workout accomplished exactly what I wanted – plus it kept me fresh for tonight’s playoff game, which we won by 1 on a last second shot.

Wednesday: 5 miles – 36:21, 7:16 pace. 8 miles – 56:31, 7:04 pace. I realized that the only times I really hate running is when I’d rather be doing something else, like pre-gaming for the Bulls-Heat game. That’s all I could think about for nearly an hour while out along the lakefront. And if you would have told me the Bulls would win without Derrick Rose, I would have told you to seek professional help.

Thursday: 6 miles – 44:54, 7:29 pace. 10 miles – 1:00:23 with 4 mile tempo – 21:45, 5:26 pace. Tempo run number two of the week, and it went even better than the first. Initially I planned to do it along the lakefront, but once I got out there, was discouraged by the strong headwind. I didn’t feel like fighting it for 20 minutes; instead I hopped off the path at Chicago Avenue to log the tempo on the track. What a great call. Running at the track really allowed me to dial into race pace and concentrate on running strong and relaxed. My splits were 5:34, 5:27, 5:24 and 5:19, and as I was finishing the last lap, I guessed I could have held pace for at least another 4 miles. There’s still a lot of work to be done, but I’m getting there.

Friday: 8 miles – 56:17, 7:17 pace. 4 miles – untimed. Back at the United Center one last time this week, where the Bulls (predictably) had a let-down game against a team that traded away half their roster and fired the head coach one day ago. If you’d like to make an analogy to my boring double easy day following a great tempo, now’s the time.

Saturday: 12 miles – 1:17:40, with 6 mile tempo – 33:47, 5:36 pace. I don’t know how it is across the country, but few days are bigger than St. Patrick’s Day in Chicago. If you’re not out drinking all day, you’re doing it wrong. Before heading out to party, though, I logged my third tempo of the week. I actually promised myself this one would be slower than 5:30 pace since I’ve done a decent amount of quality the past 4 days. That wasn’t a problem, as my legs were a bit dead. I was never breathing hard or struggling to keep pace, but I had no pop whatsoever in my legs. That’s fine; the lactic clearing system was stressed nonetheless.

Sunday: 18 miles – 2:00:54, 6:43 pace. When I mapped out my week, I thought today was going to be ugly. I pictured slogging through 18 miles with a hangover. I promised myself I’d get it done without being lame on St. Paddy’s Day, but I wasn’t looking forward to it. Whether it was the 80 degree temperature or if I cut myself off early enough, I actually had a great run. The pace never felt hard, my legs were spry, and the first 90 minutes passed by in no time. Yes, I was dehydrated a bit for the last 4 miles – though I blame this on the city’s failure to have the water fountains turned on.

I’ve been at this for long enough that I don’t usually feel particularly proud at the end of a week. It’s all just part of my normal routine. Not this week. I thought there was at least a 50% chance I wouldn’t get everything planned done. The final stats: 43.5 work hours billed, which is about a 50-55 hour work week; 100 miles; 3 tempo runs; 3 Bulls game; game-winning shot in basketball; and 37 beers on Saturday (number approximate). Boo-yah!

Week: 100
YTD: 956
Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:01 pm

That was a supreme week in spite of the drunken! It is cool to read that you are actually proud of a week - I don't take it for granted what you've been able to accomplish and I hope you don't either! Good going and here's to a kick-butt last 8 weeks Buck-O-Nine - Page 5 4044942068

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:45 am

Goodness...that certainly was a week to be proud of! Well done!
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:47 pm

Nice week Dave-O.

I know you're in Bulls mode right now, but what's with Da Bears and Matt Forte? He really is not getting any repsect. Why?

USA today published a whole list of RB free agents they've signed and yet Forte led the team in rushing every year and gets no $$$.
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:34 pm

John Kilpatrick wrote:That was a supreme week in spite of the drunken! It is cool to read that you are actually proud of a week - I don't take it for granted what you've been able to accomplish and I hope you don't either! Good going and here's to a kick-butt last 8 weeks Buck-O-Nine - Page 5 4044942068

I try not to take anything for granted, but that was one of those weeks where I want to stick it in the face of people that claim "I don't have time to workout."

KathyK wrote:Goodness...that certainly was a week to be proud of! Well done!

Thanks Kathy!

Diego wrote:Nice week Dave-O.

I know you're in Bulls mode right now, but what's with Da Bears and Matt Forte? He really is not getting any repsect. Why?

USA today published a whole list of RB free agents they've signed and yet Forte led the team in rushing every year and gets no $$$.

I'm torn on the Forte situation.

First, I DO NOT feel sorry for him getting franchised. The players union was the party that initially bargained for the Franchise Tag, so I get pissed when players complain about it. Plus, ~$8 million guaranteed? Not bad at all.

In terms of a long-term deal, the nature of the NFL today has just made RBs more expendable and interchangeable. I'm fine with locking up Forte for a 3 year deal front-loaded, but I would not give him 5 years. And I'm not sure I would meet his annual guaranteed money demands either.

Finally, I think he acted like a complete crybaby with his tweets about the Michael Bush signing this weekend. EVERY team in the NFL has to have a good backup running back to be successful. There are plenty of carries to go around. I was on my annual guys trip - all Bears fans - and we had quite a few jokes at Forte's expense.

I guess re-reading my post, Forte is losing me a bit, and I'm starting to side with management. From what I've read, they've made him some very lucrative 3 year offers. I want it to get done, but I don't want to handicap the team in the next few years with his contract.
Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:27 pm

Pittsburgh Half-Marathon Training Week 16: March 19 – 25

Monday: 5 miles – 37:28, 7:30 pace. 9 miles – 1:04:30, 7:10 pace. This week is also known as “Mancation.” Its my annual trip with 12 college buddies for our fantasy baseball draft. Past years have included Vegas, New Orleans, and Tempe. This year, we’re visiting one of the league members that recently built a McMansion outside of Houston. What that means for running: the week has to be frontloaded, because running is low on the priority list once the weekend hits.

Tuesday: 6 miles – 45:07, 7:31 pace. 14 miles – 1:27:16, with 5 x 1 mile. Last week I logged four x 1 mile at about 5:20 pace; the goal this week was five reps. I’m just looking to get as comfortable as possible, and increase muscle memory, at slightly below goal pace. I had perfect conditions on the lakefront, and generally felt good warming up. Like last week, I eased into the workout with a 5:25 for rep 1. The next three were right on target – 5:19, 5:17, and 5:17. An even better sign was that I was recovering during my quarter-mile interval pace even at a 6:30-6:45 pace. Except for the last repeat. I didn’t recover much between 4 and 5, and although I hammered out a 5:14, it wasn’t smooth like the others. If I can keep adding 1 repeat per week, though, I will be extremely pleased come taper.

Wednesday: 5 miles – 38:27, 7:41 pace. 7 miles – 51:08. After last night’s workout, I had two basketball games. I went to bed absolutely exhausted, leg muslces twitching from fatigue. Needless to say, neither of these recovery runs were pretty.

Thursday: 4 miles – untimed. 10 miles – 1:04:50, with fartlek cut-down run. With a 3:05 flight, I was in a serious time crunch today. I woke up much earlier than normal to put in an untimed easy 4 miles, worked a few hours, then with not much time to spare, headed to my office gym for some sort of workout. Prompted by Diego’s 6-5-4-3-2-1 Hanson post, I decided that workout would get to me 10 miles in about an hour (with warmup and cooldown). I have to say, the workout was harder than I expected. In the 27:00 minutes (including the 1:00 intervals) I covered a little over 5 miles, which puts the average pace at almost goal pace. In other words, it was a solid threshold run.

Friday: 20 miles – 2:17:33, 6:53 pace. Of the 10 of us in Texas, 8 went golfing in the morning, the poor accountant in the middle of busy season went to Starbucks to work, and I ran 20 miles. I’ll let you decide who had it worst. Not familiar with my surroundings, I set off with the intention to just explore the suburb of Katy. After about 3 miles, I found a park with a decent 2.5 mile figure-8 loop. I hung out there for about 3 loops, until I decided I needed water. I found a gas station, chugged a water and Gatorade, and headed back onto the roads. I never pushed the pace – the weather was too warm and I had too many beers last night for that – but never felt like I was running out of gas at the high-6 pace either. I worried about getting this run done on Mancation, and it was surprisingly uneventful.

Saturday: 10 miles – 1:14:12, 7:25. The number of times I cursed running during this run is incalculable. When I was finally done, I couldn’t decide between taking a quick nap and popping open another beer to cure my pounding headache. I opted for the beer. Screw it, its Mancation.

Sunday: 4 miles – untimed. 6 miles – untimed. I’m too old for weekends like this, or, at a minimum, I pay dearly for them on Sunday. I couldn’t even guess how slow my pace was today, nor do I care. Mancation was once again a great success, but I am ready to get back to my normal routine.

Week: 100
YTD: 1,056
Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:43 am

Sorry we weren't able to together for a drink or something while you were in Katy but if you ever come down again give me a shout, if I remember correctly you owe me a few drinks for the spreadsheets...Wink Also, you should have run in George Bush park, you can pretty much run a 20 miler without being on the roads at all.
Joel H
Joel H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:48 pm

Dave-O, which Halo's do you have this year?

Folks in the Mooooose Mug forum are doing some pretty impressive stuff--when are you going to rejoin them?
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:00 pm

Joel H wrote:Sorry we weren't able to together for a drink or something while you were in Katy but if you ever come down again give me a shout, if I remember correctly you owe me a few drinks for the spreadsheets...Wink Also, you should have run in George Bush park, you can pretty much run a 20 miler without being on the roads at all.

Indeed I do.

I was going to check out George Bush parl, but the golfers and accountant had the 3 available cars, so I was limited to where I could get by foot. GW Park was too far away from my buddy's house.

Diego wrote:Dave-O, which Halo's do you have this year?

Kendrick and Trumbo, both part of my 10 keepers. I'm not happy about Trumbo's role being reduced, but I couldn't throw away a rookie that hit 28 HRs last year. I have faith they'll get him 400 abs.

Diego wrote:
Folks in the Mooooose Mug forum are doing some pretty impressive stuff--when are you going to rejoin them?

I still follow their training, but I stopped posting because I felt there were "too many cooks in the kitchen." I'm essentially following a training program that I know has worked in the past, and I feel that some in that thread have a drastically different approach to training. To be blunt, I was tired of being told I was overtraining, when I know that not to be the case.
Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:38 pm

I was running into my roster deadline before I had a chance to consult with you....this is that nutty Barristers League Iv'e told you about with the 60 page rule book....AL only 4x4.....auction budget of $260 for 14 hitters, 9 pitchers.

Easy hitter keepers: JJ Hardy ($2), Beltre ($16), Austin Jackson ($4), Alexi Casilla ($1)

I had Texieria at $35 but threw him back in the pool. Call me a homer but I then kept Adrian Gonzalez at $36. I dumped Vernon Wells at $14 which was a tough call but the Angels OF looks complicated and I think at worst I could buy Wells back at that price if need be.

Easy pitcher keepers: uh.....All of these seem like tough calls but hear me out. Mo Rivera ($42!!!), Valverde ($29), Farnsworth ($11).....closers go at a huge premium in our league and it is complete overkill to own 3 but it puts me in a great position to trade and I just couldn't let Mo go even at that price. I had to read his career stat line a couple of times again to talk myself into it but he is THAT GOOD. His average WHIP for the last DECADE? .93. Geez, I can't believe I kept a 42 year old at $42.

I also kept Rafael Soriano ($2) as an upside pick. King Felix ($46!). Ouch, that hurts the draft day budget. But that's what he costs and someone else would pay it if I let him go. Plus I was influenced by him looking dominant in their 1st game in Japan. One of my favorites, Brandon Morrow, got kept at $10. With Ks NOT a category in this league, that's a questionable call. But I feel like he could suddenly figure it all out and be really great.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:12 pm

Nice way to squeeze in some running around the vacation - Tuesday and Thursday runs were awesome.

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:54 pm

Pittsburgh Half-Marathon Training Week 17: March 26 – April 1

Monday: 5 miles – 37:31, 7:30 pace. 8 miles – 56:28, 7:03 pace. You guys know the movie Bio-Dome? The one with Pauly Shore and one of the nine Baldwin brothers? Anyway, after the party in the Bio-Dome, Bud and Doyle lock themselves into the dome in prove they can restore the homeostasis to 100%. Sometimes I think of my body that way, and right now I’m at about 25% homeostasis. It might take me a few days to return to normal.

Tuesday: 4 miles – 28:59, 7:15 pace. 12 miles – 1:16:58, with 6 mile tempo – 32:42, 5:27 pace. My stomach, more specifically a side-stitch, ruined this run. Seeing as I’ve had three easy days in a row, my legs were fresh and ready to uncork a fast one. About two miles in, I realized my stomach had other plans. I battled the stitch throughout the remainder of the tempo run. While I’m fine with the final 5:27 average pace, it could have been faster.

Wednesday: 4 miles – 30:15, 7:34 pace. 13 miles – 1:19:43, with 6 x 1 mile. I set out on this run unsure of whether I would log a steady long run or tempo intervals. After a 4 mile warm-up, I felt good enough to give it a go. It’s not often I do back-to-back workouts, but I wanted to beat my legs up a bit and practice running goal pace on tired legs. Also, I went to the south portion of the path because the terrain is slightly rolling (at least by Chicago terms). My splits: 5:22, 5:23, 5:21, 5:21, 5:17, and 5:21. Unlike weeks past, I was working on just about every one of these; the pace didn’t come naturally at all. I was pleased I was able to grind it out, but it was a reminder that back to back workouts aren’t easy.

Thursday: 5 miles – 37:51, 7:34 pace. 7 miles – 49:36, 7:05 pace. Felt the effects on today’s runs. Woof.

Friday: 10 miles – 1:04:20, with 4 mile tempo – 21:46, 5:26 pace. 6 miles – untimed. I know, I know – I shouldn’t be logging a third tempo run during the week. But if it’s going to be a hard week, why not just make it a truly hard week? Plus, I stuck to the treadmill this morning to save my legs from some of the impact. The run felt controlled with splits of 5:34, 5:27, 5:24 and 5:21, so I’m not too worried about over-doing things.

Saturday: 10 miles – 1:11:40, 7:10 pace. Initially I planned to log my long run this morning, before a group of friends met us at our condo on Lake Delavan. But then I slept in. And procrastinated. And had another cup of coffee. Before I knew it, it was 11:00 and I decided to just put in an easy 10.

Sunday: 20 miles – 2:04:40, 6:14 pace. This one was totally unplanned. I swear. By the time we were home from Delavan, it was 6:45 and I had 2:15 before my gym closed to log a 20 miler (I don’t feel safe running on the streets with traffic in the dark). So I knew it had to be fast. During my 3 mile warm-up, I decided on a 5-4-3-2 mile cutdown/tempo workout with 1 mile intervals between each. Nothing like making up workouts on the spot, huh?

2 miles – 7:17, 7:03
5 miles – 6:15, 6:12, 6:03, 6:02, 6:00 (6:06 avg)
1 mile – 6:59
4 miles – 5:56, 5:53, 5:50, 5:48 (5:51 avg)
1 mile – 6:54
3 miles – 5:43, 5:42, 5:41 (5:42)
1 mile – 6:50
2 miles – 5:30, 5:28
1 mile – 7:21

I’m torn about this one. On one hand, hitting 5:30 and 5:28 for the 18th and 19th mile of the workout was quite satisfying. If you add up the splits from Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday’s workouts with the 4-3-2 portion of Sunday’s 20, you get 25 miles at an average pace of 5:31. That’s bad ass.

On the other hand, I was fried after the workout, and am worried about a prolonged recovery from this run. With the race 5 weeks away, this was the right time to have such a week, but I need to pay attention to proper recovery in the next few days – which isn’t always my strong suit.

Week: 104
YTD: 1,160

Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt W Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:02 pm

That was bad ass Dave. Finishing a tough week like that is impressive. Just be sure to listen to your legs this week and don't force too much, especially in the first few days. It's not like you'll lose fitness by skipping one tempo run and logging some easy miles. You are set up for a great breakthrough in a few weeks. Just keep building and have confidence that you are ready to smash some PRs this year.
Matt W
Matt W
Poster
Poster

http://www.redrockrunningcompany.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:39 pm

Matt W wrote:

That was bad ass Dave. Finishing a tough week like that is impressive. Just be sure to listen to your legs this week and don't force too much, especially in the first few days. It's not like you'll lose fitness by skipping one tempo run and logging some easy miles. You are set up for a great breakthrough in a few weeks. Just keep building and have confidence that you are ready to smash some PRs this year.

You are a wise one, sir. After two recovery days left me still feeling sluggish, I bailed on a planned workout tonight. Legs still feel wrecked. Hopefully an ice bath and the single easy run today will get me back on track.
Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:56 pm

Dave-O wrote:
Matt W wrote:

You are a wise one, sir. After two recovery days left me still feeling sluggish, I bailed on a planned workout tonight. Legs still feel wrecked. Hopefully an ice bath and the single easy run today will get me back on track.

I'm not suprised about the soreness either after a hard 20 on the mill. If you can run a 7 mile tempo in the next two weeks where you hit HMP, you'll nail this race!!

I don't have anywhere else to brag to anyone else who cares, but I lucked out and wound up in the 99th% for ESPN's NCAA tournament challenge. If I had picked more than 21/32 in the first round and 10/16 in the second round, maybe I would have gotten into the winning drawing. I never nail the Final Four... ever.
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:57 pm

Dave-O wrote:
Matt W wrote:

I'm not suprised about the soreness either after a hard 20 on the mill. If you can run a 7 mile tempo at HMP in the next two weeks, you'll nail this race!!

I don't have anywhere else to brag to anyone else who cares, but I lucked out and wound up in the 99th% for ESPN's NCAA tournament challenge. If I had picked more than 21/32 in the first round and 10/16 in the second round, maybe I would have gotten into the winning drawing. I never nail the Final Four... ever, until this year.
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:54 pm

Dave-O wrote:Pittsburgh Half-Marathon Training Week 17: March 26 – April 1

Monday: 5 miles – 37:31, 7:30 pace. 8 miles – 56:28, 7:03 pace. You guys know the movie Bio-Dome? The one with Pauly Shore and one of the nine Baldwin brothers? Anyway, after the party in the Bio-Dome, Bud and Doyle lock themselves into the dome in prove they can restore the homeostasis to 100%. Sometimes I think of my body that way, and right now I’m at about 25% homeostasis. It might take me a few days to return to normal.

Tuesday: 4 miles – 28:59, 7:15 pace. 12 miles – 1:16:58, with 6 mile tempo – 32:42, 5:27 pace. My stomach, more specifically a side-stitch, ruined this run. Seeing as I’ve had three easy days in a row, my legs were fresh and ready to uncork a fast one. About two miles in, I realized my stomach had other plans. I battled the stitch throughout the remainder of the tempo run. While I’m fine with the final 5:27 average pace, it could have been faster.

Wednesday: 4 miles – 30:15, 7:34 pace. 13 miles – 1:19:43, with 6 x 1 mile. I set out on this run unsure of whether I would log a steady long run or tempo intervals. After a 4 mile warm-up, I felt good enough to give it a go. It’s not often I do back-to-back workouts, but I wanted to beat my legs up a bit and practice running goal pace on tired legs. Also, I went to the south portion of the path because the terrain is slightly rolling (at least by Chicago terms). My splits: 5:22, 5:23, 5:21, 5:21, 5:17, and 5:21. Unlike weeks past, I was working on just about every one of these; the pace didn’t come naturally at all. I was pleased I was able to grind it out, but it was a reminder that back to back workouts aren’t easy.

Thursday: 5 miles – 37:51, 7:34 pace. 7 miles – 49:36, 7:05 pace. Felt the effects on today’s runs. Woof.

Friday: 10 miles – 1:04:20, with 4 mile tempo – 21:46, 5:26 pace. 6 miles – untimed. I know, I know – I shouldn’t be logging a third tempo run during the week. But if it’s going to be a hard week, why not just make it a truly hard week? Plus, I stuck to the treadmill this morning to save my legs from some of the impact. The run felt controlled with splits of 5:34, 5:27, 5:24 and 5:21, so I’m not too worried about over-doing things.

Saturday: 10 miles – 1:11:40, 7:10 pace. Initially I planned to log my long run this morning, before a group of friends met us at our condo on Lake Delavan. But then I slept in. And procrastinated. And had another cup of coffee. Before I knew it, it was 11:00 and I decided to just put in an easy 10.

Sunday: 20 miles – 2:04:40, 6:14 pace. This one was totally unplanned. I swear. By the time we were home from Delavan, it was 6:45 and I had 2:15 before my gym closed to log a 20 miler (I don’t feel safe running on the streets with traffic in the dark). So I knew it had to be fast. During my 3 mile warm-up, I decided on a 5-4-3-2 mile cutdown/tempo workout with 1 mile intervals between each. Nothing like making up workouts on the spot, huh?

2 miles – 7:17, 7:03
5 miles – 6:15, 6:12, 6:03, 6:02, 6:00 (6:06 avg)
1 mile – 6:59
4 miles – 5:56, 5:53, 5:50, 5:48 (5:51 avg)
1 mile – 6:54
3 miles – 5:43, 5:42, 5:41 (5:42)
1 mile – 6:50
2 miles – 5:30, 5:28
1 mile – 7:21

I’m torn about this one. On one hand, hitting 5:30 and 5:28 for the 18th and 19th mile of the workout was quite satisfying. If you add up the splits from Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday’s workouts with the 4-3-2 portion of Sunday’s 20, you get 25 miles at an average pace of 5:31. That’s bad ass.

On the other hand, I was fried after the workout, and am worried about a prolonged recovery from this run. With the race 5 weeks away, this was the right time to have such a week, but I need to pay attention to proper recovery in the next few days – which isn’t always my strong suit.

YTD: 1,160

You just need another fast 1.2 miles for a sweet "Parrot Predictor" time, right? Isn't that how that works?
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:17 am

Pittsburgh Half-Marathon Training Week 18: April 2 – 8

Monday: 6 miles – untimed. Even before I decided to hammer last night’s 20, I had planned this week as a step-back week. Given how hard last week turned out – with 4 tempo efforts – I may cut back even more in the mileage. I’m growing soft in my old age.

Tuesday: 5 miles – 37:41, 7:32 pace. 9 miles – 1:04:06, 7:07 pace. It’s official: that 5-4-3-2 20 miler wrecked me. I felt even worse today and really struggled through these runs. The good news, for Chris at least, is that I now doubt I’ll be throwing it into one of his schedules.

Wednesday: 5 miles – 37:42, 7:32 pace. I planned on an interval pyramid tonight. I bagged it. May not always listen to my body, but it was screaming for a night off loud and clear.

Thursday: 12 miles – 1:14:44, with interval pyramid. The decision to delay this workout until today was the right one. The extra 18 hours of recovery, and good night of sleep, was huge. I followed my normal 400-800-1200-1600-1600-1200-800-400 structure, and felt strong throughout. I never pushed the pace under 5:00, but my turnover near 5k pace was surprisingly good, despite my recent focus on lactic threshold pace. See what three easy days in a row can do?

Friday: 6 miles – 42:12, 7:02 pace. I figure since this is a step-back week, I might as well fully embrace the lower mileage and single runs.

Saturday: Arny Johnson 10 mile– 58:25. 1st place.

Sunday: 12 miles – 1:23:12, 6:56 pace. Not going to lie – my quads were trashed from yesterday’s hilly race. I was never once tempted to push the pace. I was content to log almost 90 minutes at an easy pace to cap off the week. My goals for the week were (a) a step-back in mileage and intensity and (b) a win at the Arny Johnson race. It didn’t go exactly as planned, but I got there in the end. Now I’m in position to log two more hard weeks before taper.

Week: 70
YTD: 1,230
Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  wheakory Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:54 pm

Great training as always. I thought I would check in to see how the training is going. Your Mr. Motivation. Great job. I believe the easy runs that you incorporate in the training will help as well.
Dave-O wrote:Pittsburgh Half-Marathon Training Week 18: April 2 – 8

Monday: 6 miles – untimed. Even before I decided to hammer last night’s 20, I had planned this week as a step-back week. Given how hard last week turned out – with 4 tempo efforts – I may cut back even more in the mileage. I’m growing soft in my old age.

Tuesday: 5 miles – 37:41, 7:32 pace. 9 miles – 1:04:06, 7:07 pace. It’s official: that 5-4-3-2 20 miler wrecked me. I felt even worse today and really struggled through these runs. The good news, for Chris at least, is that I now doubt I’ll be throwing it into one of his schedules.

Wednesday: 5 miles – 37:42, 7:32 pace. I planned on an interval pyramid tonight. I bagged it. May not always listen to my body, but it was screaming for a night off loud and clear.

Thursday: 12 miles – 1:14:44, with interval pyramid. The decision to delay this workout until today was the right one. The extra 18 hours of recovery, and good night of sleep, was huge. I followed my normal 400-800-1200-1600-1600-1200-800-400 structure, and felt strong throughout. I never pushed the pace under 5:00, but my turnover near 5k pace was surprisingly good, despite my recent focus on lactic threshold pace. See what three easy days in a row can do?

Friday: 6 miles – 42:12, 7:02 pace. I figure since this is a step-back week, I might as well fully embrace the lower mileage and single runs.

Saturday: Arny Johnson 10 mile– 58:25. 1st place.

Sunday: 12 miles – 1:23:12, 6:56 pace. Not going to lie – my quads were trashed from yesterday’s hilly race. I was never once tempted to push the pace. I was content to log almost 90 minutes at an easy pace to cap off the week. My goals for the week were (a) a step-back in mileage and intensity and (b) a win at the Arny Johnson race. It didn’t go exactly as planned, but I got there in the end. Now I’m in position to log two more hard weeks before taper.

Week: 70
YTD: 1,230
wheakory
wheakory
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:09 am

kory.wheatley@gmail.com wrote:Great training as always. I thought I would check in to see how the training is going. Your Mr. Motivation. Great job. I believe the easy runs that you incorporate in the training will help as well.

Thanks Kory! I hope all is well with you and your family.
Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:10 am

Pittsburgh Half-Marathon Training Week 19: April 9 – 15

Monday: 5 miles – 37:04, 7:25 pace. 9 miles – untimed. After assuming for weeks that I was too old and too slow for another year on the Nike Fleet Feet Racing team, I learned yesterday that I have been invited back. I met the team – mostly the same guys as the past few years – for an easy run from the store tonight. After Pittsburgh, I need to get back in the routine of tempoing with them on Monday nights. For now, I need to prove I belong on the squad with a series of strong races.

Tuesday: 11 miles – 1:09:33, with 6 miles – 32:58, 5:30 pace. 5 miles – 36:55, 7:22 pace. Repeat after me: “Not every workout has to be groundbreaking.” That’s the trap I often fall into, thinking that every single workout must be better than the last. And that’s simply unrealistic. So today I set my expectations low, with a target pace of slower than goal pace. I just wanted a smooth 5:30 paced tempo run. It went wonderfully. Stuck on the treadmill because of time constraints, I think I went from 1 mile to 4.5 without even looking at the console. I was just humming along. I finished the run feeling like I could have run 4 more.

Wednesday: 4 miles – untimed. 12 miles – 1:19:04, 6:35. I’ve said it before and I’m sure I’ll say it again – when I don’t feel fresh and still hit 6:30’s pace on a long run, I am just about ready to race. I’m there.

Thursday: 9 miles – 1:03:39, 7:04 pace. 5 miles – 37:42, 7:32. I met Chris this morning to join him on his last Boston training run, which was 6 miles with 4 at goal pace. No joke, Chris was smoother at 6:45 pace than I was. We now know that the scorching conditions thwarted his PR attempt, but rest assured the fitness is there. He has the rest of 2012 to prove it.

Friday: 14 miles – 1:26:4, with 10 miles – 56:15, with 8 x 1 mile. 5:19, 5:17, 5:16, 5:14. Unlike Tuesday, this was intended to be a balls-to-the-wall workout. Since I started the 8 week half marathon specific phase of training, I’ve logged mile repeats at slightly below goal pace almost every week. I started with 4 repeats, and after gradually increasing the repeats, was aiming for 8 today. Though I felt really strong during my warm-up, I couldn’t guarantee I’d last 8. That’s a long ass workout.

To make sure I didn’t blow my load early, I eased into the pace. The first 4 reps were 5:27, 5:25, 5:23 and 5:21. Even with just a quarter mile interval, I felt as smooth as I have at any point in the last 19 weeks. At the halfway point, I knew I was crushing this workout. The last 4 reps were 5:19, 5:17, 5:16, and 5:14. My reason for logging this workout multiple times throughout training was to become as comfortable as possible at slightly below race pace, in an effort to hopefully make 5:20-5:25 pace seem as easy as possible. On these last 4 repeats, which averaged 5:16, I was 100% convinced I had achieved that goal. I’ve never felt that good at that pace in my life.

Saturday: 6 miles – 43:54, 7:19 pace. 4 miles – untimed. A good college friend was married last night. Ergo, I was hungover today.

Sunday: 20 miles – 2:10:16, 6:31 pace. Long runs may not be quite as important in half-marathon training, but endurance is still a huge part of running well at the 13.1 distance. Thus I really hoped to nail this last 20 miler before I start cutting back on my mileage. In all I logged six 20’s this training cycle; this one was hands down the smoothest. I ran from my condo to the lakefront path (5 miles), ran along the crowded lake for 11 miles (miles 6 to 17), and then cruised down North Avenue to get home. I fell into the 6:30-6:40 pace almost immediately and felt strong throughout. It was a little warm and I could have used a gel for the last few miles, but I finished the run satisfied that if I fail to PR in 21 days, it won’t due to a lack of aerobic endurance.

YTD: 1,344

Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:56 pm

Too old and slow - ha! I think your best days are still ahead of you! I ran all of my PRs in my early 30s, and look at G$, I think he has as well!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum: