365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Not hungry in marathon .....

+3
mountandog
carleenp
Jerry
7 posters

Go down

Not hungry in marathon ..... Empty Not hungry in marathon .....

Post  Jerry Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:27 pm

Hey, several marathon now that I didn't feel hungry at the 2nd half and the end. Note those were the ones I didn't end well with all out effort. The body definitely suffered.

So I am thinking I didn't need to eat as much pre-race?

Normally doesn't matter, but to Jerry, less food means less water carried in body, then less chance to potty stop on the course.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Not hungry in marathon ..... Empty Re: Not hungry in marathon .....

Post  carleenp Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:41 pm

I'm never hungry when running, and I'm a 4:45 or so marathoner. I have to make myself choke down the gatorade and Gu. I'm also often not hungry after any long run either, and especially not after a long race, although I do often crave either beer or orange slices (or both).
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

http://beautyandfashiontech.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:45 am

carleenp wrote:I'm never hungry when running, and I'm a 4:45 or so marathoner. I have to make myself choke down the gatorade and Gu. I'm also often not hungry after any long run either, and especially not after a long race, although I do often crave either beer or orange slices (or both).

I can always drink a beer.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:40 am

Jerry wrote:Hey, several marathon now that I didn't feel hungry at the 2nd half and the end. Note those were the ones I didn't end well with all out effort. The body definitely suffered.

Normally doesn't matter, but to Jerry, less food means less water carried in body, then less chance to potty stop on the course.

How much do you eat before you race? I tend to just do a half bagel and maybe part of a banana and then rely on Gu and Gatorade during the race. And again, I am a much slower runner than you, so I would think you would need less ahead of time to keep glycogen stores up than I would. But then again, I am no physiologist. I also can run for 5 hours and not have to pee, even while taking in plenty of fluids. One thing I always do though is stop drinking an hour before the race and pee right before. That holds me through. Otherwise I would have to stop. For example, I had to stop during the Chicago hot chocolate 15k because I drank a small coffee half an hour before the start.

The bathroom breaks that you need are mystifying. You might ask a Dr about it. Do you eat much salt? Salt in the days before could make you retain extra water. Maybe also avoid any caffeine before or during the race. No diet coke and no Gu that has caffeine in it.
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:15 pm

carleenp wrote:
Jerry wrote:Hey, several marathon now that I didn't feel hungry at the 2nd half and the end. Note those were the ones I didn't end well with all out effort. The body definitely suffered.

How much do you eat before you race? I tend to just do a half bagel and maybe part of a banana and then rely on Gu and Gatorade during the race. And again, I am a much slower runner than you, so I would think you would need less ahead of time to keep glycogen stores up than I would. But then again, I am no physiologist. I also can run for 5 hours and not have to pee, even while taking in plenty of fluids. One thing I always do though is stop drinking an hour before the race and pee right before. That holds me through. Otherwise I would have to stop. For example, I had to stop during the Chicago hot chocolate 15k because I drank a small coffee half an hour before the start.

The bathroom breaks that you need are mystifying. You might ask a Dr about it. Do you eat much salt? Salt in the days before could make you retain extra water. Maybe also avoid any caffeine before or during the race. No diet coke and no Gu that has caffeine in it.

Oh, now I see I didn't word it clear. I was more asking if I should cut eating the day before, which I had been cutting, but didn't dare to do too aggressively. I had also switched the final load to lunch with light dinner, one 6 inch subway sandwich.

The morning, this time, I had 2 Clif shot blocks, 5 hours before with no water. I typically don't drink anything after 5:00pm the day before.

When I was slower, I ate more the day before with final load in dinner and did feel hungry and empty stomach on the course and after the finish. Now I don't. I also started feeling GU unneeded and a little uncomfortable.

I don't worry about the pee issue on this one cause it was too cold. Cold always induces it on me. But I still have work to do for a perfect weather day.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:17 pm

Carleen has a point, Jerry. I run about 45 min slower than you and I hardly ever need a potty break in a marathon or long run (except in the heat and that can be another issue). One word of advice that I received years ago, and that I think Hal often gives is to stop drinking an hour before your race and then drink a cup or water or sports drink about 15 min before the start. We are roughly the same physical size and I can't imagine that my bladder is tougher than yours given that I've had a kid and are a few years older.

As far as the eating thing, I forced myself to take 3 gels during NY because I assumed my body needed the calories. I can tell you that I was absolutely spent at the finish and I ate an apple, downed a bottle of water and ate a bag of pretzels while I was walking to get my gear. After that, I felt great and didn't eat again until we got to the bar at 4:30 pm. (I did drink more Gatorade as I walked the 30 blocks to my hotel).
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:14 pm

Jerry wrote:
carleenp wrote:

Oh, now I see I didn't word it clear. I was more asking if I should cut eating the day before, which I had been cutting, but didn't dare to do too aggressively. I had also switched the final load to lunch with light dinner, one 6 inch subway sandwich.

The morning, this time, I had 2 Clif shot blocks, 5 hours before with no water. I typically don't drink anything after 5:00pm the day before.

When I was slower, I ate more the day before with final load in dinner and did feel hungry and empty stomach on the course and after the finish. Now I don't. I also started feeling GU unneeded and a little uncomfortable.

I don't worry about the pee issue on this one cause it was too cold. Cold always induces it on me. But I still have work to do for a perfect weather day.

That is a lot of cutting back. I would think cutting back more could be detrimental to your performance. Plus if you still have to stop during the race with that much of a food and water restriction beforehand, I think you are likely going to feel the need to stop no matter what! I think you should talk to a Dr. Perhaps there is a medical reason why running causes this for you that can be addressed. It just seems so unusual!
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:30 pm

carleenp wrote:
Jerry wrote:
carleenp wrote:

That is a lot of cutting back.

Not really. The 2 clif shot blocks are 400 Calorie actually. I was on similar diet the day before when I finished strong for my 2:58:35 PR.

But you are right, I am not sure if cutting more would do me any good.

Plus the pee issue which I never had in a half, those are the reasons I hate marathon, but ..... scratch
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:44 pm

OK 400 calories isn't bad. That is more than I get from my pre-race 1/2 bagel and banana, which is around 200 calories.

And you don't have the problem with the 1/2!?!? Agree with the---> scratch
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:12 am

Solution: piss yourself. Got my friend her BQ by offering that advice at mile 23. Recap:

"Mike, I really have to pee. Should I just go?"
"Yes."
"Seriously?"
"Yes. You will not start again if you stop."

2 minutes...

"Mike, this is so disgusting."
"I'll grab you extra water at the next table to rinse off."

3 miles...

BQ BABY.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:19 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:Solution: piss yourself. Got my friend her BQ by offering that advice at mile 23. Recap:

"Mike, I really have to pee. Should I just go?"
"Yes."
"Seriously?"
"Yes. You will not start again if you stop."

2 minutes...

"Mike, this is so disgusting."
"I'll grab you extra water at the next table to rinse off."

3 miles...

BQ BABY.

TMI (but I have been there, done that)
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:36 pm

The morning of a marathon, I'll eat a bowl of Special K and some milk about 2 hours prior to the gun. I try not to drink any other liquids prior to the race because I usually have to pee at miles 3 and 6. On the day before, I will sip water sparingly in order to stop as little as possible. If I had my own porta-pottie before the race starts, I probably would stop during the race.

I'm never hungry during a marathon, but I will consume about 6-8 Fig Newtons during the last half to keep my clarity normal. Luckily, I never go by a barbecue joint during the race. Wink

And I make damned sure I carbo-load enough or a bit more, because if I don't, I get cramps in places unmassageable.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:16 pm

I would never stop for a pee break if I was shooting for a serious race time. You know how to walk and you know how to chew gum. In fact, you can do both at the same time. Similarly, you know how to run and you know how to pee...
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:07 pm

Chris M wrote:I would never stop for a pee break if I was shooting for a serious race time. You know how to walk and you know how to chew gum. In fact, you can do both at the same time. Similarly, you know how to run and you know how to pee...

You have a point。 However,it was cold, it shrinks。lol!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down