365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Offseason??...What's that??

+10
JohnP
Peg Coover
Chris M
Julie
Dave-O
Dave P
Kenny B.
Michele "1L" Keane
John Kilpatrick
Nick Morris
14 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Offseason??...What's that?? Empty Offseason??...What's that??

Post  Nick Morris Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:40 am

The calendar has now turn over to December and that means that it's time to put together a formal Winter Running Plan. I have been running when I can for the last month and a half. Which, for the most part, was 3-4 times a week. Nothing too long or strenuous. I did pace a half marathon at the end of October, but nothing has been over that distance.

My Winter Plan consists of 12 weeks of scheduled runs 3 during the week and a longer run scheduled for the weekend. This will lead me into my Spring Base Building Plan and should put in good shape to give it my all next summer.

I believe that the miles that are put in outside of a training schedule are just as important or even more important that the training miles themselves. I ended my 2011 training on a high not by hitting a huge marathon PR. Being able to maintain a steady mileage plan throughout the winter and spring should help me stay at a higher level of fitness. Then when training starts in late May, I will be able to hit the ground running at a high level.

I look forward to posting about my winter and spring running and hopefully get into some good discussion regarding offseason running, fall races, and many other things...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Offseason??...What's that?? Empty Re: Offseason??...What's that??

Post  John Kilpatrick Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:18 pm

Look forward to the future! Four days of running a week sounds like a good number while not being too much of an "off" season.

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:08 pm

I agree with your thoughts, Nick. Glad to see you getting back on track for the winter as I know it can be hard in the bad weather. I am and I am not looking forward to next year when I'll be in Cleveland again for the winter. Glad that I'll be living on the west side where they get less lake affect snow.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:54 pm

Good to be back in action on the boards! Looks like you have a nice plan nothing crazy but good to keep fit!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:39 pm

Kenny B. wrote:Good to be back in action on the boards! Looks like you have a nice plan nothing crazy but good to keep fit!

Yes, I find that I need a structured plan to keep me honest. Otherwise I might slack off every now and then...

Gotta be ready to drop the hammer in May... Offseason??...What's that?? 4044942068
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:21 pm

Nick Morris wrote:
Kenny B. wrote:Good to be back in action on the boards! Looks like you have a nice plan nothing crazy but good to keep fit!

Yes, I find that I need a structured plan to keep me honest. Otherwise I might slack off every now and then...

Gotta be ready to drop the hammer in May... Offseason??...What's that?? 4044942068

Not sure what hammer I am dropping but I look to be registering for lottery for NYC Half Marathon which is in march. then maybe start BadAss June. Pending Shrinks approval. LOL
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:39 am

Like your blog title states, I don't know what an "offseason" is. I may run less some times, but there's no "offseason" for me.
Dave P
Dave P
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:17 am

I find it hard to maintain a focused effort without a set plan as well. Enjoy the offseason.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:47 pm

Yesterday consisted of a good weight training session followed by some hard court power volleyball. I like to consider Mondays a cross training day Smile

I am back to my normal lifting routine, which consists of chest, arms, and core work on Mondays and Wednesdays. Tuesdays and Fridays I work on my legs, with more core work on Fridays. This is my normal routine all the way through my training cycle, until I reach around 8 weeks prior to my goal race. Then I start backing off on the number of days, amount of weight, and reps.

I have wrote many a time about weight training and I am a firm believer in it...If you have never incorporated it into your workout schedules, I highly recommend it.

Tonight is legs, followed by an easy 4 miles.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:06 pm

I had a great run tonight. I was in desparate need of a change up, so I put on my running tights and my new Nike running jacket and hit the streets. I completed 5 miles tonight at an easy 7:33 pace. The jacket was awesome. It blocked the wind and definitely kept me warm enough. In fact, I think that if I was running a longer distance I would have had to shed a layer underneath it. I am hoping to get in some more of these runs before the snow finally gets here (fingers are crossed that it will be a long time Smile). I am not a huge fan of running in the snow at night. Something about mixing ice and snow with low visability just doesn't do it for me. Of course, at that time I will have to head back in doors to the indoor track at the gym and only get outside during the weekends.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:25 am

Damn it was cold on my run this morning!!!! (15 degrees)...

That is all...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:34 pm

I know that it is only the middle of December and winter has not officially started, but I need to get my mind focused on next fall. More importantly on what marathon I will be running in the fall. I have already ran Twin Cities, Chicago (twice), and Steamtown and am looking for a fast, flat to downhill course to shoot for a new PR and a BQ. My goal time still sits at a sub 3:05:00. I have recently been hit with some warm weather both at Chicago (2010) and Steamtown (2011). So, I think that having a history of cooler weather would also be a plus.

Does anyone have any good ideas for a fall marathon that fits my criteria?
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:32 pm

Fox Cities? Very Happy Seriously, I've thought of all the fall marathons I've run and they've been mostly at least rolling hills (Twin Cities, Omaha, Springfield, MO, Sioux City, IA) unless you just want to do an ultra and do the Lakefront 50K in Chicago...

Anyway I just really wanted to stop by and say hi and happy winter running. I'm sure you'll find a great fall marathon.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:23 pm

St. George (Utah) October 6. If you are looking for a course advantage, you can't really get more of a downhill profile than this. 2560 feet (!!) of net drop during the race.
Offseason??...What's that?? St_geo10
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:52 am

I had another thought, too and not too far of a drive but Des Moines, IA is supposed to be really good, Sioux Falls, SD is good from what I hear, too.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:51 am

Chris M wrote:St. George (Utah) October 6. If you are looking for a course advantage, you can't really get more of a downhill profile than this. 2560 feet (!!) of net drop during the race.
Offseason??...What's that?? St_geo10

Don't the temps get pretty warm towards the end of this race, as you get to the lower elevations?
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:30 am

For St. George Utah, the average daily temperature on October 6 is 54 low and 82 high. A lot warmer than places like Philly in November which is flat and cold. If you want cool AND big help from a downhill, check out Tuscon in December:

http://www.tucsonmarathon.com/event-info/course-maps/
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:48 pm

I can tell you that St. George is fast, but not as easy a course as many say it is. There are indeed a few hills especially one at mile 19-20 that is a decent rise, but I must say that I did run an excellent time there, so it is fast. As for the year I ran it, the temps were in the 50s and it was drizzling - the lst 2 yrs, I beleive, the temps have been in the 70s - so way too warm.

Huntsville is considered a fast course as well as is Kiawah, but they are both in early December like CIM.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:24 pm

Thanks for the suggestions!! There is still time before registration opens, so I'll have to weigh my options.

Winter running has been going well. I have been lucky enough to not have any snow here in Madison. We got a scare with 1/2 an inch on Friday night, but it was gone by Sunday morning. So I dodged a bullet there. The lack of snow has allowed me to continue my running during the week to be outdoors. Plus, with having most of next week off due to the holidays, I should be able to get in a lot of running next week Smile
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:21 pm

Since I had a 1/2 day of work today, I was able to take atvantage of being able to run in the daylight. I ended up running 8.54 miles at a 7:28 pace. This is the first time that I really pushed my legs since October and they reacted fairly well. I could tell towards the end that they were a little tired but all in all a good run. After the run, I ended up going to the gym to get in some leg work as well. Gotta keep'em strong...I hope that everyone has a great Holiday weekend!!

I wish the best to you and yours...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:28 am

Nick Morris wrote:Thanks for the suggestions!! There is still time before registration opens, so I'll have to weigh my options.

Winter running has been going well. I have been lucky enough to not have any snow here in Madison. We got a scare with 1/2 an inch on Friday night, but it was gone by Sunday morning. So I dodged a bullet there. The lack of snow has allowed me to continue my running during the week to be outdoors. Plus, with having most of next week off due to the holidays, I should be able to get in a lot of running next week Smile

We've had great weather in Nebraska too, especially the last several days! Love it!
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:59 am

Peg Coover wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:Thanks for the suggestions!! There is still time before registration opens, so I'll have to weigh my options.

We've had great weather in Nebraska too, especially the last several days! Love it!

I know that it will not last forever and reality will soon set in...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:01 pm

I got in a nice and easy 10.36 miles on Tuesday at a 7:49 pace and plan on putting in another 6 and 12 in tomorrow and Saturday. (not sure what order)
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:58 pm

Happy New Year Nick. I live just south of you and am also finding it a strange winter with no snow. I don't think I've ever been able to run outside in winter as much as I am now. And after those widely publicized predictions of a worse than normal winter, it's hard to imagine any snow here now. 15 is cold though, we haven't had it that cold here, just the 20s.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:27 pm

JohnP wrote:Happy New Year Nick. I live just south of you and am also finding it a strange winter with no snow. I don't think I've ever been able to run outside in winter as much as I am now. And after those widely publicized predictions of a worse than normal winter, it's hard to imagine any snow here now. 15 is cold though, we haven't had it that cold here, just the 20s.

Thanks John!! Happy New Year to you, too!!

We experienced our first little taste of winter yesterday, but the 1/2 to 1 inch of snow will not last long with 40s predicted for next week. I just feel fortunate that I can still run outside during the night hours.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum