365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fat Americans - getting fatter, and one man's quest to change

+5
Mark B
sobele
Dave P
Mike MacLellan
Jack_Scaff
9 posters

Go down

Fat Americans - getting fatter, and one man's quest to change Empty Fat Americans - getting fatter, and one man's quest to change

Post  Jack_Scaff Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:32 am

Get out there and help people change!

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2011/11/17/142414818/americans-are-fat-and-expected-to-get-much-fatter

And if you didn't see this (discussed in the most recent RW)...very touching...

Jack_Scaff
Jack_Scaff
Poster
Poster

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Concord&st

Back to top Go down

Fat Americans - getting fatter, and one man's quest to change Empty Re: Fat Americans - getting fatter, and one man's quest to change

Post  Mike MacLellan Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:59 am

Not gonna lie, I went from laughing out loud at 2:24 (so glad to never have dealt with that) to actually crying at the end as he crosses the IM finish line.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Fat Americans - getting fatter, and one man's quest to change Empty Re: Fat Americans - getting fatter, and one man's quest to change

Post  Dave P Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:32 pm

It drives me crazy when people at work take the elevator to go up/ down 1 flight of stairs. Seriously people?!
Dave P
Dave P
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  sobele Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:50 pm

Wow! Very Touching and Inspirational. Thanks for sharing.
sobele
sobele

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:04 pm

Great video. It's nice to see someone find themselves like that.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:35 pm

Yeah I've seen this video. It was touching. I don't have the exact same story but running has really changed my life, too.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:11 pm

Love it.
I am hoping to start a "Run for God" group at my church in January to get some people healthier.
Some have heard about my newfound running hobby and I would like to help others get moving.
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

http://www.charlesmoman.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:20 pm

I run a weight loss challenge at work. It was 10 weeks. By week 3 the bottom tier of teams had already given up, but they were having to pay $1 for each pound the team gained week to week. We had about 8% of the plant involved. I won the 24 hour Step contest (how many steps can you do in 24 hours) with ~42,000 steps or about 20 miles by moving my Friday 16 mile long run to the day of the contest.

It all boiled down to, if they want to, then they will.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:38 pm

My daughter met and ran with Ben and Pa when they came to Portland. She struggles not only with her weight but also with exercise induced asthma and thyroid issues and they have really helped motivate her to keep trying. She's signed up for the Portland Marathon next October and I've agreed to run/walk it with her. She's managed a half but a full will be a big test for her.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down