365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dave-O saves you money

+2
mountandog
ounce
6 posters

Go down

Dave-O saves you money Empty Dave-O saves you money

Post  ounce Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:55 pm

A year or so ago on the V-Team boards, Dave-O made the comment on a thread about running with an iPod device that he always gets the extended warranty because his iPod device (maybe it was a Shuffle) always craps out on him due to sweat. This will get him a free one.

So a year ago, I bought a Shuffle at Best Buy and got the 2 year extended coverage for $10. This past summer, my Shuffle started doing the voice-over of the song's name, while I was running. Sweat had gotten into the device and was making it go bonkers.

It happened again on Sunday at the race I ran. Last night, I went to Best Buy without the receipt. They got my phone number, printed out a duplicate receipt, then went to the Geeks. They checked it, declared it screwed and I got a free replacement. I was asked if I want a 2 year coverage on the new one. "You bet", I said. However, this time the 2 year coverage cost $20. Still got it.

I did the same thing on my Forerunner 305, because they tend to fail due to sweat. That's paid for itself, too.

Just one of those rare instances where a lawyer saves you money. Thanks, Dave. cheers
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Dave-O saves you money Empty Re: Dave-O saves you money

Post  mountandog Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:43 pm

hmmmm...most consumer advice I read says don't take the insurance. this looks like one of those exceptions along with washing machines (we have 6 kids so it never stops) and refrigerators.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:29 am

mountandog wrote:hmmmm...most consumer advice I read says don't take the insurance. this looks like one of those exceptions along with washing machines (we have 6 kids so it never stops) and refrigerators.

I've heard the same thing. I also heard that Staples tries to sell a warranty on notebooks.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Bussard Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:10 am

I have three dead shuffles in my drawer as we speak. I didn't know insurance was only $10...Should have done it three IPods ago! Maybe next time.

On a different note: Is there any way to salvage the ones I have? Or are they just trashed?
Dave Bussard
Dave Bussard
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:45 am

On a side note, I used to buy iShuffle from Circuit City(heard this store before?) with the similar insurance. When I plugged in my 3rd free replacement into iTune, I saw "Jerry Young's iShuffle" as the name. lol!

For real ease of mind, you ought to look at this Sony Walkman(they have a newer version now) and read some other choices in this thread.

http://www.365runners.com/t455-water-proof
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:45 pm

mountandog wrote:hmmmm...most consumer advice I read says don't take the insurance. this looks like one of those exceptions along with washing machines (we have 6 kids so it never stops) and refrigerators.

Dave told me a good 2 years ago to get the insurance and I ignored him, thinking warranty plans like that are always a rip off. I think I'm on Shuffle #5 and I've had to buy each of them because I didn't follow the solid advice of Dave. I also ignore him at times when he says things like "12 miles with 8 at tempo" and I really should start just doing what he recommends.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down