365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Marathon Training Plans

+6
T Miller
mountandog
ounce
Mike MacLellan
Julie
Alex Kubacki
10 posters

Go down

Marathon Training Plans Empty Marathon Training Plans

Post  Alex Kubacki Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:56 am

In resistance training the body adapts if you do the same workouts and gains become less and less. Does that hold true for marathon training plans? Should you continue to use the same plan for your marathons assuming adjustments for distance and speed, or should you use a completely different plan for your next one? Will the body adapt if using the same plan and hence not as big of gains as opposed to using a different plan?
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Marathon Training Plans Empty Re: Marathon Training Plans

Post  Julie Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:18 am

I'm not sure, but I think if you found a good plan it's worth using again. If you needed to up the intensity of the cross training, run at a faster pace, or whatever, I think you could do all of that within the same program's structure.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:44 am

If the plan has all known components of "well-rounded" training - VO2max, LT, endurance, speed skills, muscular endurance (hills), etc. - I'd guess you'll be fine using it (making adjustments for your new training pace ranges) until you start seeing limiters. Then you can adjust it to put more weight on those limiters.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:04 pm

Agree on all points. I just wish my body could adapt as fast as my heart adapts.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:35 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:If the plan has all known components of "well-rounded" training - VO2max, LT, endurance, speed skills, muscular endurance (hills), etc. - I'd guess you'll be fine using it (making adjustments for your new training pace ranges) until you start seeing limiters. Then you can adjust it to put more weight on those limiters.

+1 -- although if you have the time you can increase mileage but use the same workout pattern.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:27 am

Alex Kubacki wrote:In resistance training the body adapts if you do the same workouts and gains become less and less. Does that hold true for marathon training plans? Should you continue to use the same plan for your marathons assuming adjustments for distance and speed, or should you use a completely different plan for your next one? Will the body adapt if using the same plan and hence not as big of gains as opposed to using a different plan?

In my opinion it is important to mix up your training so that you can maximize your gains. I don't see why marathon training would be any different than resistance training. I would say that you can use the same plan or variations of the same plan until your improvement starts to fall off or stops altogether. At that point you need to find a different stimulus to trigger additional improvement.
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:47 am

T Miller wrote:
Alex Kubacki wrote:In resistance training the body adapts if you do the same workouts and gains become less and less. Does that hold true for marathon training plans? Should you continue to use the same plan for your marathons assuming adjustments for distance and speed, or should you use a completely different plan for your next one? Will the body adapt if using the same plan and hence not as big of gains as opposed to using a different plan?

In my opinion it is important to mix up your training so that you can maximize your gains. I don't see why marathon training would be any different than resistance training. I would say that you can use the same plan or variations of the same plan until your improvement starts to fall off or stops altogether. At that point you need to find a different stimulus to trigger additional improvement.

I'll disagree with this on a technicality. Like Mike said, any good training program is going to have all those components in it. However, I think the things done in running that makes it different than resistance training is the fact that you have periodization involved, which really removes the whole getting stale thing from the equation because of the variety of training required to truly adhere to the theory of periodization.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:54 pm

Without a doubt, you should change up plans every year or two. Using the same plan, even with increasing the intensity/timing of workouts will stagnate development over time. Even if every plan is roughly based off a tempo/speed/long run type mentality each week, there are enough variations between plans that you will improve your odds of success by mixing things up.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:11 pm

T Miller wrote:

At that point you need to find a different stimulus to trigger additional improvement.

Jerry likes it.

I would add, be focus. After each cycle, I typically evaluate the future training in two fronts:

1. What is THE stimulus that will give me the biggest improvement in next cycle/year?
2. What is THE weakness that will hinder me from improvement and I have to overcome?

For example, in 2009, I decided more miles was the biggest buck. I was planning to just run more miles with no intensity(because I couldn't handle both) to build up a solid foundation for the sub 3 attempt in 2011 . The result, 2:58, January 2010.

I also knew a program like P90X would greatly improve my strength as well as overall fitness which would translate to running PR, but chose to save it for later. Alright, I was just scared maybe on this one.

Further more, I have noted several workouts that I see fit to me, but intentionally save them for the future. A well rounded plan is not necessarily bad, but I don't want to run out of options to shock and awe my body.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:07 pm

Check out Hudon's Run Faster. It's the overarching theme of the book.

Too summarize- yes, every runner should evaluate the past training cycle and tweak as necessary. If not, your training will get stale.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down