365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bloody BM

+5
Mark B
Julie
ounce
Sara Jane
nkrichards
9 posters

Go down

Bloody BM Empty Bloody BM

Post  nkrichards Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:05 pm

Sorry...not a pleasant subject but I don't know who else to ask.

I've had occasional bloody BM following a really hard/long run since I started running 4 years ago but never worried about it much. I had a colonoscopy that came out fine and the doctor didn't seem concerned.

The frequency of the problem and the amount of bleeding has increased significantly in the last few months. I don't have a lot of stomach/gas pains...just a feeling of urgency following my run. After several BMs (some of which are just bright red blood and/or bloody mucous) everything seems to go back to normal until my next long/hard run.

I do have an appointment with the doctor in a few days to discuss the issue but he's not a runner...

Any experience, comments etc that might help me to better understand whats going on and how to deal with it?

Thanks...and sorry about the subject...Nancy
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 3530
Points : 12465
Join date : 2011-07-27
Age : 64
Location : Sunny Central Oregon

Back to top Go down

Bloody BM Empty Re: Bloody BM

Post  Sara Jane Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:12 pm

I used to have this problem a lot after my 20 milers...but I haven't had the problem in the past few years. It was probably in the first 2-3 years I was running marathons. Sounds exactly like what you have. Now, I do have IBS, and a very mild colitis (though those, I believe, led to the having to go suddenly/urgently - but I am not sure if it was related to the blood).

Anyway, as I have continued to run long, the problem seemed to just go away. I haven't seen it in a couple of years. I never talked to a doctor about it.

Not an answer or suggestion - just an anecdote from my own experience!
Sara Jane
Sara Jane
Poster
Poster

Posts : 175
Points : 4476
Join date : 2011-06-15

Back to top Go down

Bloody BM Empty Re: Bloody BM

Post  ounce Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:28 pm

Don't fret about the topic, as we've discussed worse topics.

Anyway, I can tell you the brighter red the blood is, the lower in the intestinal tract (closer to the exit point) the source is. It would be very concerning to me if the blood was a mahogany color, as that's more at the beginning area of the intestines.

If it was a hard stool, I would say to increase your daily fluid intake.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 6479
Points : 18666
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 65
Location : houston

Back to top Go down

Bloody BM Empty Re: Bloody BM

Post  Julie Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:55 pm

I have discussed this with my running group a few times. One of them when to the doctor, got a colonoscopy and I believe a barium GI test, too. I have experienced this and from what I understand is it could be an internal hemorrhoid that is irritated by the long runs, I've also heard that it's harder for your body to digest while you're running because blood is diverted from the GI tract to help you run and then somehow that messes up your GI tract.

Anyway, likely it's not anything too scary or bad, because many of us experience it, although it did worry me a few times my first summer of marathon training.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2680
Points : 8348
Join date : 2011-06-17

Back to top Go down

Bloody BM Empty Re: Bloody BM

Post  Mark B Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:31 pm

Another thing to keep in mind is, how much blood are we talking about here? Drips, or gushes?

I asked the GI doctor about this type of bleeding the last time I had a colonoscopy, and he said bleeding like this usually happens when a hemorrhoid works it's way out during a run and gets irritated. Even if it leaves a big splotch on the toilet paper, with maybe some dripping into the bowl, it's more a nuisance than a problem.

If it's been a while since you've got a check-up, by all means make sure it's not something else. But it might end up being just something you have to deal with. I take it as sort of an early warning system that maybe I'm putting too much stress on my body.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 8028
Points : 19172
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 59
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

Back to top Go down

Bloody BM Empty Re: Bloody BM

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:37 pm

My friend that I run with in the summer had this issue a few years ago and it was related to hemorrhoids as mark stated. She had surgery and now there is no problem. Ask your Doc of course, and hopefully it is nothing more than this.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 5025
Points : 13763
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 61
Location : Atlanta, GA

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Bloody BM Empty Re: Bloody BM

Post  Bob Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:18 pm

Hotdog, extra ketchup. Fries. Diet Coke.



Ooops, I thought this was the Friday Lunch thread.
Bob
Bob
Lord Bobby
Lord Bobby

Posts : 342
Points : 13564
Join date : 2011-06-15
Location : Illinois

Back to top Go down

Bloody BM Empty Re: Bloody BM

Post  nkrichards Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:33 pm

Sara Jane wrote:I used to have this problem a lot after my 20 milers...but I haven't had the problem in the past few years. It was probably in the first 2-3 years I was running marathons. Sounds exactly like what you have. Now, I do have IBS, and a very mild colitis (though those, I believe, led to the having to go suddenly/urgently - but I am not sure if it was related to the blood).

Anyway, as I have continued to run long, the problem seemed to just go away. I haven't seen it in a couple of years. I never talked to a doctor about it.

Not an answer or suggestion - just an anecdote from my own experience!

Seems to have gotten worse not better.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 3530
Points : 12465
Join date : 2011-07-27
Age : 64
Location : Sunny Central Oregon

Back to top Go down

Bloody BM Empty Re: Bloody BM

Post  nkrichards Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:34 pm

ounce wrote:Don't fret about the topic, as we've discussed worse topics.

Anyway, I can tell you the brighter red the blood is, the lower in the intestinal tract (closer to the exit point) the source is. It would be very concerning to me if the blood was a mahogany color, as that's more at the beginning area of the intestines.

If it was a hard stool, I would say to increase your daily fluid intake.

Yes, definately bright red so not quite as scary.

I think fluid intake is OK. Stools are soft and urine seems fine.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 3530
Points : 12465
Join date : 2011-07-27
Age : 64
Location : Sunny Central Oregon

Back to top Go down

Bloody BM Empty Re: Bloody BM

Post  nkrichards Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:37 pm

Mark B wrote:Another thing to keep in mind is, how much blood are we talking about here? Drips, or gushes?

I asked the GI doctor about this type of bleeding the last time I had a colonoscopy, and he said bleeding like this usually happens when a hemorrhoid works it's way out during a run and gets irritated. Even if it leaves a big splotch on the toilet paper, with maybe some dripping into the bowl, it's more a nuisance than a problem.

If it's been a while since you've got a check-up, by all means make sure it's not something else. But it might end up being just something you have to deal with. I take it as sort of an early warning system that maybe I'm putting too much stress on my body.

Drips...not gushes. It's the amount of mucus that has me more concerned than the amount of blood. I've had external hemorrhoids before and they bled but no experiencw with internal hemorrhoids.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 3530
Points : 12465
Join date : 2011-07-27
Age : 64
Location : Sunny Central Oregon

Back to top Go down

Bloody BM Empty Re: Bloody BM

Post  nkrichards Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:39 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:My friend that I run with in the summer had this issue a few years ago and it was related to hemorrhoids as mark stated. She had surgery and now there is no problem. Ask your Doc of course, and hopefully it is nothing more than this.

I don't think it's hemorrhoids but since this is the year I normally schedule a physical this will be on the top of my list of questions. Appointment is next week so I'll post an update then.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 3530
Points : 12465
Join date : 2011-07-27
Age : 64
Location : Sunny Central Oregon

Back to top Go down

Bloody BM Empty Re: Bloody BM

Post  nkrichards Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:40 pm

Bob wrote:Hotdog, extra ketchup. Fries. Diet Coke.



Ooops, I thought this was the Friday Lunch thread.

Glad we can maintain a sense of humor! Laughing
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 3530
Points : 12465
Join date : 2011-07-27
Age : 64
Location : Sunny Central Oregon

Back to top Go down

Bloody BM Empty Re: Bloody BM

Post  Liz R Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:26 am

If you have had a check up recently, I wouldn't be too concerned. Also, I am no doctor, but have always heard that bright red blood in stool is not worrisome; the dark, tarry blood is a problem.

I have had that urgency off and on as a runner. Could it be diet related? I seem to have more trouble when I drink a lot of milk the day before a long run. When I don't run long milk is not a problem.

How old are you and how many kids do you have? To raise another one of those delicate topics, it could be a female issue related to aging.

Liz R
Poster
Poster

Posts : 205
Points : 4457
Join date : 2011-06-16

Back to top Go down

Bloody BM Empty Re: Bloody BM

Post  nkrichards Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:55 pm

The doctor essentially said he doesn't know the exact cause but because I've had a recent colonoscopy that came out good he wasn't to concerned. He said he didn't think it was anything serious or anything that would have any long term consequences. He did recommend that I listen to my body and cut back if it was to severe.

My husband had his physical right after me and Dr. L commented that he didn't really understand how people could enjoy running. He's kind of a family friend and they both had a good laugh...I think he said it more for my husbands benefit than anything.

So I guess I can lace up my shoes and get ready for the Turkey Trot!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 3530
Points : 12465
Join date : 2011-07-27
Age : 64
Location : Sunny Central Oregon

Back to top Go down

Bloody BM Empty Re: Bloody BM

Post  Julie Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:43 pm

Have fun! Yeah my doctor thought it was weird when I said I have 8 toenails, horrible chafing from my sports bra but yes I love marathon training.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2680
Points : 8348
Join date : 2011-06-17

Back to top Go down

Bloody BM Empty Re: Bloody BM

Post  Jim Lentz Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:00 pm

Do you still have your gall badder?
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1171
Points : 6254
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 61
Location : Downers Grove

Back to top Go down

Bloody BM Empty Re: Bloody BM

Post  ounce Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:35 pm

Glad to read there wasn't anything noteworthy.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 6479
Points : 18666
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 65
Location : houston

Back to top Go down

Bloody BM Empty Re: Bloody BM

Post  nkrichards Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:17 pm

Jim Lentz wrote:Do you still have your gall badder?

Yes, but why do you ask? What effect do having/not having your gall bladder have?
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 3530
Points : 12465
Join date : 2011-07-27
Age : 64
Location : Sunny Central Oregon

Back to top Go down

Bloody BM Empty Re: Bloody BM

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum