365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tights

+8
wheakory
Ben Z
Julie
Jerry
Mark B
Ken Mello
Michele "1L" Keane
Neil Ruggiero
12 posters

Go down

Tights Empty Tights

Post  Neil Ruggiero Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:25 am

Gonna be picking up a pair of tights for this winter, figure its time to treat myself to something nice. So, what are the best tights out there?
Neil Ruggiero
Neil Ruggiero
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Tights Empty Re: Tights

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:21 pm

I like my CWX tights, but they are pricy. I also have a pair of older Sub-4 tights that are good for colder weather that I like.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Mello Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:11 pm

I have 2 pairs of the CWX tights, which are now gathering dust in my closet, but when I lived in Vermont, I ran in them all winter, and they were awesome. Agreed that they are expensive, but they actually work, so the cost was well worth it to me.
Ken Mello
Ken Mello
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:13 pm

Nike makes some good tights, with prices all over the map.

I think the Nike Element Thermal tights are similar to a set I got a season or two ago. They do well in chilly, damp weather, by themselves... and they make a good base layer under another pair of pants if it gets really cold (sub-20).
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:30 pm

Jerry doesn't need this thing in Texas, but is curious why nobody ever mentioned SKINS.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:46 pm

Mark B wrote:Nike makes some good tights, with prices all over the map.

I think the Nike Element Thermal tights are similar to a set I got a season or two ago. They do well in chilly, damp weather, by themselves... and they make a good base layer under another pair of pants if it gets really cold (sub-20).

is that sub 20 below zero?

I don't own tights and I get cold just wearing pant. I've run in weather as cold as -35 windchill but not comfortably.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:56 pm

2XU graduated compression tights. Best I have ever worn and I've worn the following:

• CWX (Stabilyx (sp?) tights and 3/4 tights)
  • Mizuno breath thermo
  • Pearl Izumi thermal tights
  • Sugoi thermal tights

Nothing compares to the 2XU tights IMO as they are great for both training and recovery. I regularly wear them to bed to help with recovery. I believe they make a thermal version as well.
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  wheakory Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:07 pm

UnderArmour Cold gear are awesome as well. I have two pairs and have ran in these all winter in negative degree weather in Pocatello Idaho. You don't feel cold at all. Their around $50.
wheakory
wheakory
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:31 pm

Tights Zubaz2
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewally and farnk Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:45 pm

Glad I found this thread. I am ready to get rid of my one pair of tights.had them since 1992. I bought them at my first Chicago Expo (which was not much of an Expo back then) They are finally done. Sigh.
littlewally and farnk
littlewally and farnk

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin L Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:49 am

Tights MRP0306BM_xl
I recently found these New Balance NBx Windblocker Tight 2.0 from joesnewbalanceoutlet.com. I've only worn them once during the recent nor'easter snowstorm in NYC. The front portion of them are made of some windproof material; and these are much thicker than the cheaper "essential" tights from Nike that I also have. Although I haven't tried other brands for comparison, I am pretty satisfied with these for the sale price of $39.99 ($89.99 MSRP). You can also read my review here.
Kevin L
Kevin L

http://sweatengine.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:07 pm

Bumping this thread because my legs are already cold at 20 degrees (with pants) and I am wondering when you all switch from tights to pants and if it would be a good purchase. I've survived every winter since 2006 here with just my tights but maybe not comfortably. Plus my nice parents in law just gave me Christmas money and I am wondering if I should get another nice pr of running pants since my current ones are getting worn out or maybe buy tights? Thanks for any ideas. Or I've also heard of underarmor shorts for underneath pants to stay warm?
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:16 pm

Julie - another option is to look at pants for colder temps. I have a pair of Brooks Utopia pants that I wear when the temps drop below 30F (yes, I know that seems warm to you, but I'm in Atlanta remember). If the temps drop into the low 20s or even teens (and they do), then I usually wear an older pair of lighter weight tights underneath.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:19 pm

And I do wear pants if it's below 30 but I should maybe just get another pr? Do you have any recommendations? Mine are nice, I can't even remember the brand but I bought them at my local running store which is really good but they're 5 yrs old now. Would about any brand of tights work if it's just for under pants?
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:26 pm

I think any brnd of tights would work under pants. If you want to spend a few exta $$, then try a lighter compression tight like a Zoot which you can also wear for recovery. I think Rhondda used to do that as well as wear them to work under dress pants.

Another option, but one that is cheap, is to wear regular woman's tights under the pants. Back in the days before "running tights", I used to wear dancer's or skater's tights to run in under wind pants in the winter (I lived in MA and NH back then). In a pinch, I've just worn an old pair of opaque tights under running pants and it worked. If the feet bother you, then just buy the footless type. You can usually pick them up for $5 a pair at Walmart or Target.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:35 pm

Depends on what you are looking for in a tight. If its compression I like CW-X. I have a pair of Addidas Super Nova thermal tights for warmth. I have just some regular cheap tights New Balance Reach that are just fine for less cold days.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:46 pm

I just want to stay warmer, not necessarily compression. My legs are getting cold at 20 and I run in up to -25 to -35 windchill when it gets that cold here although probably more commonly around 0 to 20 and my current pants just aren't doing enough for me.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down