365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My first marathon is about here . . .

+12
Michele "1L" Keane
Bob
Peg Coover
amyjoann
ounce
Jerry
Seth Harrison
Jeff F
mountandog
jon c
John Kilpatrick
charles.moman
16 posters

Go down

My first marathon is about here . . . Empty My first marathon is about here . . .

Post  charles.moman Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:02 am

and I am excited to run the Indy Monumental Marathon this Saturday.

Not too much taper madness, well . . .

• Now and then I feel a twinge and I wonder if I have pulled something
• I feel the need to run more than just a few miles
• I worry I am gaining weight, but I need my carbs and energy and . . .
• I have all my gear laid out ready to pack, but I am SURE I am forgetting something
• I should not worry about a time goal, but I do want to do a 4:30 for some reason
• I know the weather looks great for Saturday, but what if it . . . .
• And I worry that I am forgetting something that I should worry about!

Actually- I am fine - I followed a good training plan without getting any injuries.
I have already gone more than 26 miles, plus a 20, 22, 23 and 24.
I have a good handle on hydration, fuel and electrolytes - and lubrication!
I did 2:16 in my first HM back in May and I feel like I have come a long way since then.
I feel a 4:30 is possible, but I honestly will be happy with a finish.

Afterwards, I will see how I feel and decide about the Tecumseh Trail Marathon on December 3.
I am registered, but will see if I am in decent shape to do it a month after the Monumental.
I believe I will be and I plan to make the Tecumseh a "fun" day of running and hiking in the woods with zero concern about the time - well, I do want to finish under the time limit.

Then a little rest time and back on a training plan for my 50-miler trail run.
The Umstead 100 will be a great place to learn about long events when I volunteer there in March.
I will also be a pacer in the middle of the night for one loop with one of the mid to back of the pack runners.

On Saturday night I will give a little race report here.
I am not videotaping while running, so there will be no multimedia extravaganza.
Here I go! Running

charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

http://www.charlesmoman.com

Back to top Go down

My first marathon is about here . . . Empty Re: My first marathon is about here . . .

Post  John Kilpatrick Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:28 am

Yeah, all of that sounds about right! Good luck and you have a great race goal - to have fun! Your time goal sounds reasonable as well.

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

My first marathon is about here . . . Empty Re: My first marathon is about here . . .

Post  jon c Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:31 am

Good luck Charles! Hope you have an awesome race day!
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:16 pm

you're ready. trust yourself. Now enjoy the rest of the process.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff F Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:50 pm

Charles, you are more than ready, you will do great. Looking forward to reading your race report. See you at Tecumseh on 12/3.
Jeff F
Jeff F
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:35 pm

Good luck Charles! It looks like you nailed your training. Have a blast this weekend. You're definitely ready!
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:37 pm

I knew none of those people when I finished my first. You are far more aided than me. lol! lol!

Go get it!

And do go out slow!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:56 pm

Trust your training and execute your training. Finish...and let the time take care of itself.

Good luck!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  amyjoann Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:01 pm

Hi Charles I am running INdy too with my daughter Amanda it's her first .We just need to finish also, but I would be thrilled with a 4:30 too it would be a PR for me by 6 mins. The weather does look good ,and the course is awesome,Rolling Eyes you will really enjoy it! Maybe I will see you at the start I will be with two young girls and another friend my age 44 ,I'll probably be wearing red shorts and my husband is a big guy 6'5" dark hair he will be taking pictures of us and probably getting yelled at too. We get cranky when we are nervous Rolling Eyes Good luck I hope all of us rock this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!cheers
amyjoann
amyjoann
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:55 pm

So exciting! The first! Best of luck!!!!
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:33 pm

Love it. Enjoy every stride.
Bob
Bob
Lord Bobby
Lord Bobby

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:25 am

Thanks, Charles, I'm running NYC on Sunday, it is my 37th marathon, and you just made me very nervous Very Happy

Good luck and run smart!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:42 am

Thanks for your words of encouragement!
Susie and I will be heading up to Indy in a few hours to check in at the Fairfield and then to the expo.
Bill Rodgers will be speaking this afternoon.

I am very excited to see how it all unfolds.
Before my first half, I really did not know what to expect, but was pleased with the 2:16.
I enjoyed the Indy Mini course and really took it easy the whole way.

I plan on going out for the first mile or two or so at around 11 minute miles to warm up.
Then I will start to "speed" it up and try to stay at 10 minute miles or slightly faster.
A 10:18 average pace will get me to the finish line at 4:30.
I hope to stop my run/walk/run pattern (3min/30 seconds) at 22 miles or so if I feel good.
The weather is looking great - around 34 at the start and only going to the upper 50's and sunny.
Here I go! Very Happy
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

http://www.charlesmoman.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:54 am

charles.moman wrote:The weather is looking great - around 34 at the start and only going to the upper 50's and sunny.
Here I go! Very Happy

Sooo jealous. That is perfect 26.2 weather. Remember to stick to your pacing plan. So many, including me, get greedy during their 1st marathon when they are feeling great and knock the goal time down by 10 or more minutes during those early "feel so good" miles. Don't. If you run a 4:29:59 and finish knowing you could have gone even faster, that's ideal. Don't let how good you feel because of the hard training you've done trick you into chasing a made up on spot new goal time. Most importantly...have fun!
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:15 am

Good luck, Charles! I hope you have a great race.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack_Scaff Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:16 am

+1 to what all have said. Run smart, run well.
Jack_Scaff
Jack_Scaff
Poster
Poster

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Concord&st

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:16 pm

Charles....I thought I had your cell phone in my cell phone but discovered that was not the case this morning. I parked in the government building parking lot just across the way from your hotel. I see you decided to start at 11:00 min/mile. That only means that you were ahead of me by a short distance and I was running right near you. Your 10k time is just seconds from mine and half time, had we been running the same course, is within a minute.

Hope you enjoyed the absolutely perfect running weather and hope you are satisfied with the results. Looking forward to the race report!

Dot
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down