365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wicked Halloween 10k, Plymouth, MI Race Report

+3
John Kilpatrick
Diego
mountandog
7 posters

Go down

Wicked Halloween 10k, Plymouth, MI Race Report Empty Wicked Halloween 10k, Plymouth, MI Race Report

Post  mountandog Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:17 pm

This is the first time for this event and it attracted 1200+ for the 10k and a similar number for the 5k. Many dressed in costumes for the occasion. Was a nice event.

I arrived in the dark for the 8:15 start in 28 degree weather. It was clear and more or less calm. I was ready to go in shorts/singlet/armsleeves but chickened out on top for a tightknit long-sleeve top. Might have gone with the original idea, but I was ok in the end.

It's a flat course through the downtown neighborhood, too many 90 degree turns for my taste, but still it was fun. Leaves on the ground, cold, clear, morning. I lined up in the first 10 or so people, fully expecting to get smoked by the younger and faster runners, but found to my surprise only 10 or so took off and left me in their dust. I was targeting a 6:15 pace but realized relatively quickly that this was going to take some doing. After the second mile, I was pretty close to target but I could sense I was working pretty hard. After three, I was feeling the rythym but that ended soon enough and I went into a slow but steady decline for the rest of the way. Couldn't really muster much of a kick in the end either, but there was no one close to motivate me externally either. A friend of mine, one of the local running legends, passed me with about a 1.5 miles to go, but I didn't even recognize him. Might have given me that push.

I was hoping to go sub 39:00 for the first time and check that off my bucket list, but it's apparent that I'm going to have to train a bit harder for this distance. Perhaps near the end of Boston training next spring. I did back off mileage this summer/fall a bit so my rate of improvement the past couple of months has been Comcast-like: slow.

Still, in the end it was a PR by 7 seconds. Official time of 39:38. Finished 1/73 in AG and 15/1265 overall. First race over 80% age adjusted at 80.3% so I guess I might be a little over critical.

Summary

39:40.9

6:18.7

6:11.5

6:18.1

6:23.3

6:26.6

6:28.7

1:33.7

mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Wicked Halloween 10k, Plymouth, MI Race Report Empty Re: Wicked Halloween 10k, Plymouth, MI Race Report

Post  Diego Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:28 pm

Sweet race time MD. 1st in AG and 80+% AG is always tasty.
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Wicked Halloween 10k, Plymouth, MI Race Report Empty Re: Wicked Halloween 10k, Plymouth, MI Race Report

Post  John Kilpatrick Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:51 pm

Diego wrote:Sweet race time MD. 1st in AG and 80+% AG is always tasty.

Yeah, I'd say. Since 80% is also NATIONAL CLASS - way to go Mr. Speedy!!! Awesome race - All that with not training "hard"? Good gracious - you are a machine - GREAT JOB cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:46 am

Great job on the PR and winning your AG!
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:16 am

Diego wrote:Sweet race time MD. 1st in AG and 80+% AG is always tasty.

Very nice!
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Post  Traveller Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:23 pm

Great run!

Way faster than my best at that distance.
Traveller
Traveller

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:36 am

Congrats on the AG and PR. Great job.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down