365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Breaking Away

+38
charles.moman
Dave P
T Miller
Paula Sue
Chris M
Michele "1L" Keane
Peg Coover
jon c
Penelope
Ken Mello
JohnP
Michael Enright
Jim Lentz
Joel H
Seth Harrison
Alex Kubacki
Julie
Diego
Glenn
ChasMcG
wendy_miller
Neil Ruggiero
Tom H
KathyK
Natalie
Tea from RonItch
John Kilpatrick
Mrs. Schuey
KBFitz
Schuey
mul21
Dave Wolfe
Matt W
Mike MacLellan
Michael Mitchell
Kenny B.
Jerry
Mark B
42 posters

Page 25 of 30 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 30  Next

Go down

Breaking Away - Page 25 Empty Re: Breaking Away

Post  charles.moman Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:54 am

Whew! I Was worried about Tecumseh - I first thought you said you wanted to be last!
And that just might be MY goal! Embarassed
But I reread your post and now I see that my possible goal will be safe.
Unless Wendy or Tim have that goal - let me think about that - a real serious NO!
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

http://www.charlesmoman.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:54 am

charles.moman wrote:Whew! I Was worried about Tecumseh - I first thought you said you wanted to be last!
Unless Wendy or Tim have that goal - let me think about that - a real serious NO!

lol!

I have a feeling (or a desperate hope, really...) that none of us will be competing for the coveted "DFL" award, Charles! ("You for first! No, YOU go first...") But it's probably smarter for me to focus on being in the back of the pack rather than the front. With the trail, terrain, weather and hunters, it's going to be challenging enough as it is -- trying to push the speed envelope seems like a very. bad. idea.

I think Tim is running the whole distance, way faster than I will, but Wendy's coach has forbidden her from running the full distance. She'll be jumping in at around Mile 10 and running with me. She's promising/threatening to bring a camera with her to record all the fun for posterity. Suspect
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff F Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:55 pm

Mark B wrote:
charles.moman wrote:Whew! I Was worried about Tecumseh - I first thought you said you wanted to be last!

lol!

I have a feeling (or a desperate hope, really...) that none of us will be competing for the coveted "DFL" award, Charles! ("You for first! No, YOU go first...") But it's probably smarter for me to focus on being in the back of the pack rather than the front. With the trail, terrain, weather and hunters, it's going to be challenging enough as it is -- trying to push the speed envelope seems like a very. bad. idea.

I think Tim is running the whole distance, way faster than I will, but Wendy's coach has forbidden her from running the full distance. She'll be jumping in at around Mile 10 and running with me. She's promising/threatening to bring a camera with her to record all the fun for posterity. Suspect

I may be joining all of you at the back of the pack. I planned to do a 20 miler on Sunday and shut it down around 15, just didn't have the motivation or energy to do another loop.
Jeff F
Jeff F
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:25 pm

Yep, running a race for fun can be very enjoyable...yesterday for me was anything but "enjoyable". Going in with the right attitude makes a big difference. I hope Wendy does bring a camera, I think it would be "great" see some race photos, up close and personal. DO IT WENDY BRING THE CAMERA!!!!

Just trying to keep the "fun" part alive! cheers cheers cheers
Joel H
Joel H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:45 pm

If Wendy brings a camera she will have the opportunity to get a photo of my posterior IF she waits long enough! Not so sure about the posterity part of it! Exclamation
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:48 pm

Jeff F wrote:I may be joining all of you at the back of the pack. I planned to do a 20 miler on Sunday and shut it down around 15, just didn't have the motivation or energy to do another loop.

The more the merrier, Jeff! Wendy can't run the whole thing, so maybe we can start off together. I was going to run today and test out the foot, but got distracted and ran out of time. Oops! Well, probably for the best. I'd rather err on the side of too much healing than too little.

Joel H wrote:Yep, running a race for fun can be very enjoyable...yesterday for me was anything but "enjoyable". Going in with the right attitude makes a big difference. I hope Wendy does bring a camera, I think it would be "great" see some race photos, up close and personal. DO IT WENDY BRING THE CAMERA!!!!

Just trying to keep the "fun" part alive! cheers cheers cheers

So not surprised you'd be rooting for a camera, Joel! I guess the aid station at Mile 20 cheerily sings "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" enough to get pretty dirty looks from pooped-out runners. It's my hope to join them in the chorus. Very Happy

charles.moman wrote:If Wendy brings a camera she will have the opportunity to get a photo of my posterior IF she waits long enough! Not so sure about the posterity part of it! Exclamation

lol!

This could be a very interesting day....
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:10 pm

You know me well Mark! Glad I could prove your hunch right. Wink
Joel H
Joel H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:16 am

Joel H wrote:You know me well Mark! Glad I could prove your hunch right. Wink

Well, I'm not sure how to say this, Joel. But you're apparently the man of my dreams.

Well, technically, the man IN my dreams. I'm starting to get progressively weirder dreams as this injury-altered taper gets under way. Two nights ago, I had one of those school dreams. You know.. can't find the class, aren't prepared, may not be dressed properly... Except there was a twist - I was the teacher! affraid

I wish I could offer up some details about the dream the included Joel... but all I can remember is that he was one of the people in it. One of the other people? Deena Kastor. And as far as I can remember, it was pretty weird dream, too. I should really write these sorts of things down...

Foot update: After opting out of running yesterday, I decided to get checked out at the doctor's office and get an X-ray, just to make sure there isn't some little fracture in my foot that might fracture the rest of the way in the middle of the Indiana woods. The doc poked and prodded and didn't feel anything that made him think there was a fracture, but he offered to order X-rays, just in case. I said sure.

In exchange, I also got a flu shot in one deltoid, and a DPT booster in the other. Hey, it's Indiana. You can't be too careful! Wink

I won't get the results from the X-rays back for a day or so, but I peeked and didn't see anything obvious. So, it's probably just a matter of waiting for the soft tissue damage to heal up. I'll be trying to do some running, if can. I mean, I'm already having taper dreams and starting to sing out loud again. Sheesh...
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:17 am

[quote="Mark B"]
Joel H wrote:.In exchange, I also got a flu shot in one deltoid, and a DPT booster in the other. Hey, it's Indiana. You can't be too careful! Wink

You know that you are not running in the woods of north Georgia, right? Hope the xray shows nothing.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:13 am

Oh dear lord...I am showing up in Mark's dreams?!?!?!?!?!?!?! YOWSERS!!!!

scratch scratch scratch scratch

At least it was with Deena Kastor, I am a bit surprised it wasn't Kara Goucher or Ryan Hall.

Sorry the foot is not healing faster, fingers crossed it gets better soon.
Joel H
Joel H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:19 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:You know that you are not running in the woods of north Georgia, right? Hope the xray shows nothing.

There's a difference? I'm just keeping my eyes peeled for a kid playing banjo. pig

Joel H wrote:Oh dear lord...I am showing up in Mark's dreams?!?!?!?!?!?!?! YOWSERS!!!!

scratch scratch scratch scratch

At least it was with Deena Kastor, I am a bit surprised it wasn't Kara Goucher or Ryan Hall.

Sorry the foot is not healing faster, fingers crossed it gets better soon.

Hey Joel! You can relax. You weren't in my dream last night. Randy was. Well, to be exact, Randy and his chihuahua. Very Happy

What was it Hunter S. Thompson said? "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

As far as the foot goes... I'm irritated (and slightly anxious) that I'm going to lose some fitness, but I also don't want to push it too hard, too soon and slow down the healing process. I'll probably be doing a test run tomorrow.

Today, however, is a great day to not go running. At the moment, it's 38 37 degrees and raining steadily. My absolute *least* favorite running weather. Hypothermia city! tongue
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:30 pm

Now I live near Brown County(where most of the Tecumseh is run) and I usually don't faintly hear banjo music on the roads over there. Now over at adjacent Jennings County it might be a different story! Shocked
Not to mention the meth labs over there.
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:24 am

Mark B wrote:Well, technically, the man IN my dreams. I'm starting to get progressively weirder dreams as this injury-altered taper gets under way. Two nights ago, I had one of those school dreams. You know.. can't find the class, aren't prepared, may not be dressed properly... Except there was a twist - I was the teacher! affraid

I wish I could offer up some details about the dream the included Joel... but all I can remember is that he was one of the people in it. One of the other people? Deena Kastor. And as far as I can remember, it was pretty weird dream, too. I should really write these sorts of things down...

Hahahahaha!!! Your killing me here. Tecumseh looks like an absolutely beautiful event. Looks like you are playing it smart - with 2 weeks to go I don't think you will be losing/gaining much fitness - showing up healthy definitely takes priority. You guys are having too much fun with this - I can't wait to read about it afterwards.

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:32 am

If interested - here is the elevation at the Tecumseh Trail Marathon on December 3.
Nothing monstrous, but we are not flat here like northern Indiana.Breaking Away - Page 25 Elevat10
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:01 am

Interesting profile - not enough to be killer, but enough to be, well, interesting. I went to school at Ball State, so I definitely understand flat!!!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:32 pm

Oh, you're all suckers. You look at a profile like that and say it's "not too killer"...? Lest we forget that each bump is a 50-150' hill, and there are well over 20 of them. Not to account for the ones that aren't shown. What a Face

Maybe I'm just skeptical of "easy" elevation profiles since they tend to be the ones that bite me in the ass, but I think Mark's got quite a quad-buster coming his way. And I'm sure he'll meet it with his usual trail enthusiasm.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:40 pm

Hey Mark, another one on here with an injury - enough already! Praying for you dude.
Dave P
Dave P
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:58 pm

charles.moman wrote:Now I live near Brown County(where most of the Tecumseh is run) and I usually don't faintly hear banjo music on the roads over there. Now over at adjacent Jennings County it might be a different story! Shocked
Not to mention the meth labs over there.

Ah, meth labs. I find it hugely amusing that every place I've lived has claimed the dubious title as "meth capital of the world." Either I have lived in some pretty sketchy places, or meth is everywhere.

As for banjo music in the woods... wouldn't that be the greatest mid-race prank ever? Very Happy

The only thing they really warn you about at Tecumseh is that hunting season is open. So maybe wearing the reindeer antlers as part of a costume might not be, well, the greatest idea. Shocked

John Kilpatrick wrote:Hahahahaha!!! Your killing me here. Tecumseh looks like an absolutely beautiful event. Looks like you are playing it smart - with 2 weeks to go I don't think you will be losing/gaining much fitness - showing up healthy definitely takes priority. You guys are having too much fun with this - I can't wait to read about it afterwards.

I hope to get out and do at least some running in the next couple of weeks. The foot is getting better day by day, so that's a good sign.

I'm hoping that this is a memorable event - in a good way.

charles.moman wrote:If interested - here is the elevation at the Tecumseh Trail Marathon on December 3.
Nothing monstrous, but we are not flat here like northern Indiana.Breaking Away - Page 25 Elevat10

Thanks for reminding me, Charles! I've been looking at that elevation chart over the past several months. It's what motivates me to get out there in the hills.

John Kilpatrick wrote:Interesting profile - not enough to be killer, but enough to be, well, interesting. I went to school at Ball State, so I definitely understand flat!!!

Don't be too sure about that, John. When I asked somebody who has run Tecumseh before on how to train, he told me: "Run hills until you can't stand the sight of another one. Then run some more."

Mike MacLellan wrote:Oh, you're all suckers. You look at a profile like that and say it's "not too killer"...? Lest we forget that each bump is a 50-150' hill, and there are well over 20 of them. Not to account for the ones that aren't shown. What a Face

Maybe I'm just skeptical of "easy" elevation profiles since they tend to be the ones that bite me in the ass, but I think Mark's got quite a quad-buster coming his way. And I'm sure he'll meet it with his usual trail enthusiasm.

Don't count me in the sucker brigade, Mike. Why do you think I've been spending so much time accumulating thousands of feet of elevation gain on my long runs? I know I needed to rewire my body for this sort of race. So that meant a LOT of climbing over the past several months.. and planning my routes so I have multiple miles of tricky downhills AFTER my legs are already tired. Oh yeah, and I also started making sure to do a sorta-long run the day before my long run to get the benefit of a back-to-back approach.

Time will tell if that strategy will work, but I have to tell you - the shape of my lower body has changed thanks to this training. My glutes and quads have never been worked as hard as this summer and fall. Coupling that newfound strength with a strategy of running this like an ultra rather than a road marathon should work well. Though I'm still crossing my fingers.

Dave P wrote:Hey Mark, another one on here with an injury - enough already! Praying for you dude.

I appreciate that, Dave! I'm pretty confident that my foot/ankle will be race-ready by Dec. 3. I just need to try to work in enough runs to keep my legs from locking up while not delaying the healing process.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:05 pm

Nah, I know you've been smart about it, Mark. I've been keeping an eye on those elevation profiles you post. Are you going to do the walk-the-hills-from-the-beginning approach? During my last long run (the 4hr deathmarch), I did that from the beginning. Felt stupid for the first hour, but SO GLAD I did it during the last.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:22 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:Nah, I know you've been smart about it, Mark. I've been keeping an eye on those elevation profiles you post. Are you going to do the walk-the-hills-from-the-beginning approach? During my last long run (the 4hr deathmarch), I did that from the beginning. Felt stupid for the first hour, but SO GLAD I did it during the last.

Good question, Mike. I'm not entirely sure. It depends how steep and how long. What's going to throw me off a little is that you don't start climbing immediately (well, not much). You go a couple of miles first before going down and up through what I'm guessing is some sort of ravine. Most of my trail runs have started climbing immediately. My biggest risk will be thinking, "Oh hey, this is EASY!" and going out too hard.

Looking at the trail map and the elevation chart, it looks like the RD snaked this route up and down every ravine in that forest to milk as much elevation gain/loss out of these relatively small hills as possible. I think the people who suffer on this course the most are the ones who think they can run it like a road marathon. It's a different beast.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:25 pm

Just remember the hills at miles 13, 16, 17, and 19, and I think you'll be able to rein in your excitement Wink
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:46 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:Just remember the hills at miles 13, 16, 17, and 19, and I think you'll be able to rein in your excitement Wink

Now THOSE are hills that will be power-hiked. I can also imagine some "ow-ow-ow-ow!" sounds coming from runners as they navigate that steep downhill in Mile 22.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff F Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:44 pm

I have been told the one at mile 13 is one of those big ones you look up and you think you see the top, when you get to the top you make a turn and you see more hill. We didn't have to do this one last year because of the out and back due to the weather, so I am looking forward to this one. Last year I started by running the uphills at the beginning, but I paid for it towards the end. I plan on walking most big hills from the beginning...
Jeff F
Jeff F
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:48 pm

Jeff F wrote:I have been told the one at mile 13 is one of those big ones you look up and you think you see the top, when you get to the top you make a turn and you see more hill. We didn't have to do this one last year because of the out and back due to the weather, so I am looking forward to this one. Last year I started by running the uphills at the beginning, but I paid for it towards the end. I plan on walking most big hills from the beginning...

Wise man. I've seen photos taken on that Mile 13 hill. You're right. It does curve before it gets to the top!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:54 pm

I read a Tecumseh race report somewhere that the runner said the mile 13 hill HAD to be man made, because God would not do that to us! Laughing
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 25 of 30 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 30  Next