365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Breaking Away

+38
charles.moman
Dave P
T Miller
Paula Sue
Chris M
Michele "1L" Keane
Peg Coover
jon c
Penelope
Ken Mello
JohnP
Michael Enright
Jim Lentz
Joel H
Seth Harrison
Alex Kubacki
Julie
Diego
Glenn
ChasMcG
wendy_miller
Neil Ruggiero
Tom H
KathyK
Natalie
Tea from RonItch
John Kilpatrick
Mrs. Schuey
KBFitz
Schuey
mul21
Dave Wolfe
Matt W
Mike MacLellan
Michael Mitchell
Kenny B.
Jerry
Mark B
42 posters

Page 15 of 30 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 22 ... 30  Next

Go down

Breaking Away - Page 15 Empty Re: Breaking Away

Post  Mark B Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:50 pm

My successful hill run today got me able to start thinking about Tecumseh training again.
(And yes, I was really worried when I saw my foot a few hours after I twisted it three weeks ago.)

Tecumseh isn't exactly a technical mountain course, but it's pretty hilly. Friends who have run it before have suggested a LOT of hill training to get ready for it. I can't drive to hilly trails during the week, but I can run repeats on some slopes within a few miles of my house. The course I ran today was one; another takes me down through a greenway where I usually run and back up the other side, which is a decent hill.

Taken to the extreme (10x repeats), they'd rack up more than 2,000 feet of vertical and 4,300+ feet of total elevation change.

Here's what the courses look like:

Breaking Away - Page 15 Whippl12
(14.7 miles)

and...
Breaking Away - Page 15 Felida10
(16.13 miles)

That ought to do it, eh? And I think all the downhills would probably be just as important as the climbs. It might even get me close to what Mike recently called "mountain shape." Which, if Tecumseh goes well, would be a very nice thing going into 2012. Very Happy

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:16 pm

Looks like great places for hill repeats.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:03 pm

That second one is basically the same stats as my run today. Get on it, Mark. Wink
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:34 pm

Jim Lentz wrote:Looks like great places for hill repeats.

They're both on pavement, but at least they're (fairly) close to home. The closest big climb would require me to drive over to Portland and run in Forest Park. That's what I'm planning to do on Sundays. If I really wanted a workout, I could head up the Columbia River Gorge and scale those peaks I ran (well, sorta) in June. Very Happy

Mike MacLellan wrote:That second one is basically the same stats as my run today. Get on it, Mark. Wink

Sir, yes sir! I'll get right on that. Real. Soon. Now.

Though I do wonder sometimes... which is better conditioning? One big climb and descent, or a series of smaller ones? Hm. scratch
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:39 pm

Nice to see you're back to running and the ankle has held up.

Those course elevation profiles are crazy! Are they somebody's idea of a sick joke? I'd have to be paid to race on those!
Penelope
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Wolfe Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:25 pm

Good to see you're back at it. Train smart!
Dave Wolfe
Dave Wolfe
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:02 pm

Penelope wrote:Nice to see you're back to running and the ankle has held up.

Those course elevation profiles are crazy! Are they somebody's idea of a sick joke? I'd have to be paid to race on those!

Thanks, Kathy! I created those routes as a masochistic exercise to figure out just how much hill work I could actually do while running from my house. A lot, it turns out.

And no, I have no immediate plans to actually do that many repeats. Well, at least, not yet. Shocked

Dave Wolfe wrote:Good to see you're back at it. Train smart!

Thanks, Dave. I'll be careful. It's gone fairly well so far, but the last thing I want to do is re-injure myself and/or prolong my recovery.

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:41 pm

I'd imagine different hill lengths are best for different goals. If you want VO2max intervals, a hill you can "sprint" in 2-3 minutes would be perfect. For tempo/threshold/muscular endurance, 5-10 minutes. For masochism, 20-40 mins Wink
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:32 am

Mike MacLellan wrote:I'd imagine different hill lengths are best for different goals. If you want VO2max intervals, a hill you can "sprint" in 2-3 minutes would be perfect. For tempo/threshold/muscular endurance, 5-10 minutes. For masochism, 20-40 mins Wink

Masochism. Hm... Twisted Evil

Good points, Mike. Thanks.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:35 am

Hill Route: 6.4 miles

Weather: Partly cloudy, mild, muggy. 59 degrees, 93% humidity. Gear: FR2s, shorts, T. Fuel: Carrots and coffee. Carried handheld with nuun.

What has gotten into me? I'm barely back from a scary foot-ankle injury, and I keep turning right at 11th Avenue and heading into hill country. I did it again this morning, and extended the distance to about 6.4 miles total, rolling up and down a roller-coaster section that helped me develop a new mantra: "Every hill makes you stronger."

The uphills were challenging but manageable. The downhills were a little more tricky; my foot/ankle does not appreciate clumping. So I've been refining my fast-foot method of jitterbugging downhill. I do that on trails a lot. On roads... not so much.

The weather was mild but muggy, and boy, do you build up body heat when you're grinding up hills. Only modesty and excessive upper body flab kept me from shucking my shirt and going topless after a while. affraid

The foot/ankle was creaky for the first couple hundred meters, but that faded quickly as I warmed up.

This is a good, challenging out-and-back out that gets even more hilly the farther I go before the turnaround. I'll be out here a lot.

Here's the elevation chart:

Breaking Away - Page 15 Home-110
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:50 pm

Hey Mark, glad to see that you're back out on the roads and happy running hills. I can't wait for Tecumseh. You're going to love it.
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:53 pm

T Miller wrote:Hey Mark, glad to see that you're back out on the roads and happy running hills. I can't wait for Tecumseh. You're going to love it.

Thanks, Tim. I have to admit, I was a little nervous about whether I'd make it to Tecumseh as I was hobbling around those first few days. But it seems that I'm healing pretty quickly.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:03 pm

Mark B wrote:
T Miller wrote:Hey Mark, glad to see that you're back out on the roads and happy running hills. I can't wait for Tecumseh. You're going to love it.

Thanks, Tim. I have to admit, I was a little nervous about whether I'd make it to Tecumseh as I was hobbling around those first few days. But it seems that I'm healing pretty quickly.

Good to hear the ankle is doing well, Mark.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:33 pm

Jim Lentz wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Good to hear the ankle is doing well, Mark.

So far, so good, Jim. I have to skip long runs on the next two Sundays because of scheduling conflicts (not the least of which is Alita's half marathon on the Sunday before Labor Day), but avoiding extra-long runs at this point might actually be more helpful than detrimental to my overall goal.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:59 pm

You certainly didn't waste much time getting back to it! You westerners and your hills look scary! Sounds like your cardio didn't suffer at all from your layoff? You almost had that miraculous fast recovery from the looks of it!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:49 am

John Kilpatrick wrote:You certainly didn't waste much time getting back to it! You westerners and your hills look scary! Sounds like your cardio didn't suffer at all from your layoff? You almost had that miraculous fast recovery from the looks of it!

I hope it's only the hills that look scary, John. We Westerners like to think we're a friendly looking bunch! jocolor

I don't really have much choice but try to get back to it, though. 1) I'm running the Tecumseh Trail Marathon in December and the clock is going tick-tick-tick, and 2) I really want to run, and the enforced inactivity was making me go tic-tic-tic! (Okay, that was lame. But I couldn't resist...) Actually, I'm feeling a little of that twitchiness right now, because I'm not going to be able to get a longer run in this weekend (and probably next) due to scheduling conflicts.

It's probably just as well, though. It'll give my foot more time to heal.

It's funny that you mentioned cardio, because it didn't even occur to me. I've been doing all my runs lately at a comfortable pace - so if I did lose any aerobic capacity, I just adjusted my speed downward to compensate. I've ditched the Garmin for now, so I really don't know how fast - or slow - I'm going.

Not that splits would be very useful on the hills I've been running, mind you...

One bit of extra good news: My wife was hired by the local school district as a paraeducator in special education for what looks to be the whole school year. It's still not a permanent hire (it's sort of a long-term substitute arrangement), but it will be nice to have a little more predictability. When you're a sub, you might get jarred out of bed with a 5 a.m. call every morning, or you might not get called for three months.

So, that's great for our budget and peace of mind. It also will give me a chance to reassess and optimize my training plan. Maybe I can actually avoid having to start long trail runs in the dark! That might not be a bad idea, eh?

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:39 pm

Great news for your wife. Keep running smart and watching that foot and you'll get to Tecumseh.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:13 am

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Great news for your wife. Keep running smart and watching that foot and you'll get to Tecumseh.

Thanks, Michele. One wonderful thing about Tecumseh is that it's a trail marathon, in winter conditions, which pretty effectively heads off any self-destructive "Let's see how fast I can run this baby!" tendencies. The goal is to make it to the finish line. So my plan is pretty simple: build endurance and strength going up and down hills off-road. Plenty challenging, but in a different (and more fun) way.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:15 am

That's the same observation I've made with my trail running recently, Mark. Yeah, you can occasionally pound out an as-fast-as-possible run, but really, day to day variations in trail conditions - in addition to plenty of other factors - have a significant effect on how the run goes. It really forces you to accept running for running's sake. Kind of neat.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:21 am

Hills: About 5.9 miles

Weather: Overcast, mild, muggy. 59 degrees, 88% humidity. Gear: FR2s, shorts, T. Fuel: Carrots and coffee. Carried handheld with nuun.

Today was all about improvisation. I don't normally run on Monday, but I couldn't get a long run in yesterday. So at about 10 o'clock last night, I decided to do a run this morning. I decided to try a modified route, heading down into the Salmon Creek Greenway and up the other side, and then back again, to see how it worked for hill repeats. It wasn't bad as a workout (I got about 500 feet of elevation gain and 1,000 feet total elevation change), though there may be more traffic on that street than I'd prefer.

The run went well (with one exception). I was able to motor up the hills and find a good form for going down, keeping it light and quick. The foot/ankle didn't mind too much, but it reminded me when I started pounding.

The exception: A near code brown, relieved by rushing into a convenient porta-john... only to find that there was no TP left! Did you know you can peel layers off the cardboard core of a TP roll when you're really desperate? Talk about improvising... Shocked

Here's the course profile:
Breaking Away - Page 15 Felida11

Not massive by any shakes, but not bad for a Monday morning. Smile

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:22 am

Mike MacLellan wrote:That's the same observation I've made with my trail running recently, Mark. Yeah, you can occasionally pound out an as-fast-as-possible run, but really, day to day variations in trail conditions - in addition to plenty of other factors - have a significant effect on how the run goes. It really forces you to accept running for running's sake. Kind of neat.

Yup. Very Happy
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:14 pm

Nice running, Mark, but that lack of TP stinks.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:48 pm

Jim Lentz wrote:Nice running, Mark, but that lack of TP stinks.

Thanks, Jim. Yeah.. imagine my surprise! Luckily, I was able to MacGyver a solution by peeling apart the layers of the cardboard toilet paper tube to create something with which I could wipe. Whew!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:14 pm

Glad to see you back at it so soon and the ankle is better. Already know most of the CB tricks...running at 4am does that to a person but glad to know I am not the only one having to improvise. I do take my own TP now though, works wonders! Wink

Oh and 107 yesterday and 107 today! Breaking Away - Page 15 235134252
Joel H
Joel H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:25 pm

Joel H wrote:Glad to see you back at it so soon and the ankle is better. Already know most of the CB tricks...running at 4am does that to a person but glad to know I am not the only one having to improvise. I do take my own TP now though, works wonders! Wink

Oh and 107 yesterday and 107 today! Breaking Away - Page 15 235134252

I used to pack TP but was always able to make it to some sort of facility - this is the first time I found one with depleted supplies. Time to rethink!

107 is very hot anywhere. But where you live? It's a whole different level of hell.

It's 65 and drizzly here today. We had a taste of summer over the weekend, then *poof!* it was gone.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 30 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 22 ... 30  Next