365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

One-topic Friday Thread!

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: One-topic Friday Thread!

Post  Jerry on Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:50 pm

@Mark B wrote:
@Jerry wrote:
@Mark B wrote:
@Jerry wrote:
@Mark B wrote:
@Jerry wrote:I have been reflecting this myself. I have to admit I am a little surprised that Mark ..... lol!

Suspect

Reflecting one's glory on others' misery is naughty, more like Jerry. lol!

Hm. Well, I didn't mean to be sadistic....

That also depends on who reads it. affraid

Actually, I kind of hope the people who feel like they bombed recent marathons do read this and take part. Maybe it's too fresh for some, but I see real benefit in going back and comparing what did and didn't work in past races. Even if it only helps to realize that races aren't (hopefully) always suck-fests, it can offer some hope to keep trying and generate some ideas of what to try next, whatever that may be.

Agreed, Mark.

I actually have been reflecting myself on what I have been done wrong and right giving the current events. Only I didn't speak it out loud or when I did, I chose a naughty way.

I thought you know me by know. lol!

Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:57 pm

@Jerry wrote:I thought you know me by know. lol!

Oh, I do, Jerry. I do. geek
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP on Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:00 pm

@Mark B wrote:So here it is: What was your No. 1, absolute best marathon experience? Tell us about it. What was it about that race that makes it stand out above all the others?

Like others, there have been a lot of really good marathons for different reasons. Either the trip it was a part of, the people involved before and after, the location. For mine, I'll pick the Flying Pig marathon a few years ago for several reasons. Previously, as mentioned by KBFitz above, I had done Philly a few times and gotten my PR down to 3:52. One of the things that happens to me in marathons is that after mile 22 or so, I seem to lose it mentally. I feel like I am in a total daze even though I try to tell myself to stay with it. For that marathon, for whatever reason, I never lost mental awareness. I kept it and scored the biggest PR in a marathon I've ever had - 12 minutes. Since then, the daze comes back every time I do a hard marathon. I wish I could figure out what happened there that I didn't lose it. It was the first hilly marathon I had done, and I ran a lot of it with Vivian, but other than those, I don't know what made it different that it was my best experience in achieving a PR.
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller on Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:22 am

I've had a number of great marathon experiences but the one that I look back on and attempt to repeat is my first attempt at sub 3 at Monumental Marathon 2008. I had just met Wendy and my training consisted of p90x, running and cycling for the first time. I had taken 18 months off of marathons and I was hungry with desire. I held back in the early miles and had my strongest finish to date. One thing that made it feel like I was finishing strong was that the half marathon rejoined the marathon for the finish and I was flying past that bunch. Another thing was that I was passing many marathoners including some that had passed me earlier in the race. In the end it was an 18 minute PR but I missed the goal by a little over a minute. Probably the best part was that my wife, then future wife, was there spectating and found me just after my finish.
T Miller
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim fredericks on Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:35 am

Las Vegas Marathon, December 2007. My one and only sub-4. I ran a 3:58 and was in position to make a run at a BQ when everything went downhill after that. My peak as a runner.
Jim fredericks
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff F on Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:40 am

I have had several memorable marathons; my first at Chicago in 2006, the 2008 Phoenix where on the way to the start line I declared to my parents I think I feel a 3:43 today and that is exactly what I ran, but the one I treasure the most would be the TCM in 2009 when I ran my BQ. In order to accomplish my BQ I had to improve my PR by almost 10 minutes. At the half I was almost a minute and a half up on my goal, in the last 5 miles there is an uphill section that gets your attention and I really had to focus to achieve my goal, and ran a 3:34:55 which will probably be my lifetime PR.
Jeff F
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman on Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:39 am

My favorite marathon - hasn't happened yet! Very Happy
I think about what might happen 3 weeks from today and it feels pretty good.
Now we will see what really happens in reality on November 5.
It will be a PR - for sure! Laughing
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

View user profile http://www.charlesmoman.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt W on Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:31 pm

As has been said before, each marathon is its own entity and I could find a reason why each of them was "the best" experience.

If I was forced to pick just one, I would have to say it was Boston 2008. After a year plus of getting to know a lot of the people around here, I finally turned virtual friends into real life ones. It was my first Boston, so it had a lot of excitement built into it just for that. It was great driving the course with Mardi, Schuey, and his mom the day before the race and getting a glimpse of Hopkinton and the towns on the way to Boylston (although I wouldn't advise drinking as much Gatorade as I did before we started). The race itself was where I feel I really became a marathoner since it was only my 3rd marathon and just the second one I went for a PR. I feel like I executed my race plan just about as well as I could and nabbed a healthy PR, despite a hamstring cramp that stopped me for a bit with a mile to go. Otherwise I think I would have even/negative split the race. When I was on long runs in high school, I would often imagine I was running a big marathon, and it was almost always Boston. My first experience there lived up to everything I hoped it would be and then some. It was even more special because I had some new friends to celebrate with after the race.
Matt W
Poster
Poster

View user profile http://www.redrockrunningcompany.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:13 pm

I think that my best marathon experience, so far, has to be the 2009 Chicago Marathon. The temps were really cool (32 at start and 43 when I finished), so they were not a factor. The race just went great for me. I had a pretty decent training cycle and the race results proved that. My goal going into the race was sub 3:40. I ran a pretty perfect race, with even splits the entire way. I finished with a lot left in the tank that allowed me to feel great at the end. I finished with a time of 3:39:40...
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki on Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:04 am

My favorite experience came last year at Cape Cod. This was my second marathon but first with an actual training plan. All I wanted was a sub-4. Around mile 20 I somehow got a cold and was hacking the last 6 miles. It's all rolling hills from 15-23 and by around 22 and in the real pain phase I was just pleading with myself to keep pushing for the sub-4. Crossed the line in 3:54:26. It didn't even register at first as I was completely out of it. But once it did I was very happy.

I'm also partial to the one I had three weeks ago. I did Clarence Demar in 3:33:51 in hot & humid conditions. Six months ago I would have laughed if someone told me I'd run a marathon down in that time range. Now I'm planning for my first BQ attempt in the spring.
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2