365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Last long run before the Monumental - done.

+8
dot520
Mike MacLellan
Lauren
Jeff F
Glenn
Jerry
Jim Lentz
charles.moman
12 posters

Go down

Last long run before the Monumental - done. Empty Last long run before the Monumental - done.

Post  charles.moman Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:23 pm

Well . . . yesterday, on my 60th, I ran 24 miles from Seymour to the north side of Columbus.
It was 44 degrees when I started and almost 80 when I finished.
My wife followed along in the car with a traveling grocery store, camera and video camera.
We took a bunch of short breaks to get video clips and for snacking. Approval

No real problems - no cramping calves like at my August ultra.
No sore hips like my recent 23-miler - just an overall nice last long run through the countryside.
There were more hills than I remembered when driving the route, but that is OK.
The Monumental will seem "easier" because it will be flat flat flat.
I decided to stop at 24, instead of going the last 2 to my church.
It was getting hot & I thought it would be prudent to wind it up - go home - do some icing, etc.
It was long enough and I did not want to over do it in the heat and then have a too long of a recovery.

Today I feel fine, just a little sore, so I know my level of fitness and endurance has increased.
Bring on the Monumental! Running

Here is a <5 minute video montage - with some very "useful" running technique clips.
Also the running "tips" alone - <40 seconds.

charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

http://www.charlesmoman.com

Back to top Go down

Last long run before the Monumental - done. Empty Re: Last long run before the Monumental - done.

Post  Jim Lentz Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:40 pm

Happy Birthday! What a cool way to celebrate your birthday. I see from your videos you have a great sense of humor.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Last long run before the Monumental - done. Empty Re: Last long run before the Monumental - done.

Post  Jerry Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:23 pm

Happy Birthday, Charles!

I was wondering what you look like when grumpy until I saw the 2nd. Very Happy
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Glenn Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:44 pm

Way to go Mr. Mo! Happy Birthday.
Glenn
Glenn
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff F Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:14 pm

Happy Birthday Charles! Great run, now you are ready for Monumental.
Jeff F
Jeff F
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Lauren Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:26 pm

Happy Birthday!! And good luck with Monumental in a few weeks. Was pretty chilly last year but wonderful and FLAT. Smile Maybe I'll see you there!
Lauren
Lauren

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:30 pm

LOVE your wife's commentary. Seems the women in our lives know best - my girlfriend and/or mom would be making the same exact comments at each point of my run: "Oh, he's gonna start getting annoyed now." Neat idea with the video, too. I may have to take the inspiration and make some of my own Smile
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:39 pm

As a music teacher, I made DVDs for each grade level of the musical they performed.
I shot lots of photos and made a nice DVD for their families - it was a big hit, but after I retired it was gone.
Susie and I have so much fun on my long runs.
I have been a photographer for a long time - Nikon D300 + mucho gear & and a Canon Vixia HF 200.
I bought Susie a Nikon D40 and she is doing great with it.

We have 6 kids that live in IN, CA, CO, WA and one deployed overseas - so I make these little videos for them too.
Thanks for the birthday wishes. At Steak and Shake tonight a waitress guessed my age - in the 40's she said?
She got a nice tip! Exclamation
Good times.
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:33 am

Charles!! How did I miss this post? Happy Belated Birthday!

Love the 'running' commentary as you did your long run. Monumental is definitely flat with just potholes to worry about. You'll do awesome! I'll definitely see you at the start. As I'm doing the half, maybe we can run the first 7 miles together or like we did at Howl at the Moon...running ahead, catching up, running ahead, catching up. Give regards to Susie!
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:22 am

What pace will you be running at Indy?
I will probably be running a 9:30 - 10:00 running phases for 3 minutes and then only walking 30 seconds fast.
I might do the first mile a little slower as I warm up.

charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Stephanie Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:43 pm

Awesome video Charles! You have a great spirit!! Wishing you all the best at Monumental!! And Happy Birthday!!!
Stephanie
Stephanie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  amyjoann Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:54 pm

great video I might use some of those running techniques. My daughter and I are running Indy too,it's her first marathon.You share a birthday with my Mom,she would have been 72 .Thanks for the video I will look for you at start of Indy what time goal do you have in mind?
amyjoann
amyjoann
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:02 pm

I would like to finish in 4:30, but we will see.
I did the Indy mini in 2:16 last spring and was not worn out at all - took it easy for my first HM.
I know I can handle 26.2 miles, but not sure about my pacing.
I learn something at each event I do.
Look forward to meeting you at Indy in a month.
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:18 pm

Great vid's, Charles! And good luck at the Monumental!
Bob
Bob
Lord Bobby
Lord Bobby

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:00 am

Happy birthday Charles! That was a great video. Kudos to your wife for her work with the camera and great commentary. Good luck at Monumental!
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down