365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Hoping for Fall redemption

Page 4 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Hoping for Fall redemption

Post  Seth Harrison on Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:01 am

Five easy/GA miles (8:26 pace). I did feel the periformis throughout the run. I'll do some cross training tomorrow rather than run before I extend the mileage a bit on Saturday.
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. on Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:22 am

Stop calling 8:26 easy your making me feel slow! I like the heating pad idea can't go wrong before the run with that. Keep working the solution and you will nip it!
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:30 pm

@Schuey wrote:
@Seth Harrison wrote:Just a quick update on what I thought earlier in the day may have been a
sciatic nerve issue. After seeing the PT, he told me that it's just a
mild Piriformis flare-up that should respond easily to a combination of
heat, ice, and stretching. Of all the issues I've been dealing, it looks like this one will be nothing more than a niggle.

I hope so, because mine turned from being a mild piriformis flare-up to knocking me on my butt! I found that the heat and stretching really help. Also I would get on the foam roller and put pressure on the trigger point on my piriformis and it really help it clear up. I wish I would have paid closer attention to it early on maybe then I won't have been out for 2 1/2 weeks. Take care of it Seth. What's going on you seem to be following my path of injuries and niggles of late. Stop it!!

Big ditto here!!!!! I stopped a bit quicker than Schuey and didn't try to totally run through it. The foam roller and massage ball have been my closest friends.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison on Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:46 am

Eight miles in the preserve. It was almost 80 and on the humid side by
the time I started. Except for the fact that the periformis is still
bothering me and I felt it during and after the run, this was a good
solid easy run with lots of hills.
I used the heating pad when I woke up, stretched it before and after the
run, foam rolled and took an ice bath. Not sure what else I can do.
Here's today's run:

Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:39 pm

Keep it up, Seth. My similar issues have ceased to bother me again, and I really just need to keep up the stretching, etc. Run looks good!
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison on Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:43 pm

@Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Keep it up, Seth. My similar issues have ceased to bother me again, and I really just need to keep up the stretching, etc. Run looks good!

Thanks Michele. I'm hoping for the same thing as what you went through...that the stretching, rolling, heat, ice, etc. will eventually knock it out. In the meantime, I'm able to run through the discomfort.
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:05 pm

Sure hope all that works.

Nice run!
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalie on Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:48 pm

Your runs are looking nice and steady Seth. And consistent.

I was also in Israel in 2006, but I probably got home right before you went. The war broke out 6 days after I got home. It was my favorite trip there. Sarah is going in July for the JCC Maccabi Games/Artsfest. I envy her!
Natalie
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison on Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:07 pm

@Michael Enright wrote:Sure hope all that works.

Nice run!

Thanks Michael

Natalie Wolf wrote:Your runs are looking nice and steady Seth. And consistent.

I was also in Israel in 2006, but I probably got home right before you went. The war broke out 6 days after I got home. It was my favorite trip there. Sarah is going in July for the JCC Maccabi Games/Artsfest. I envy her!

I envy her too!
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison on Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:29 am

Ab Ripper X followed by 6.3 miles on the preserve. It was already 78 and humid when I started. I kept the pace very easy (8:44/mile) and it was a nice warm run except for the fact that my performis bothered me the whole time. Again, I'm doing everything I've been told to do....heating pad when I wake up, stretching it out, foam roller, ice bath afterward. My intention is to continue to run through this, but it is so literally a pain in the ass. affraid
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey on Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:59 pm

@Seth Harrison wrote:Ab Ripper X followed by 6.3 miles on the preserve. It was already 78 and humid when I started. I kept the pace very easy (8:44/mile) and it was a nice warm run except for the fact that my performis bothered me the whole time. Again, I'm doing everything I've been told to do....heating pad when I wake up, stretching it out, foam roller, ice bath afterward. My intention is to continue to run through this, but it is so literally a pain in the ass. affraid

Yeah Ab Ripper is a tough one buddy. I hear you about the heat and humidity! Today in Florida it was already 81, 87% humidity and 78 dew point and it wasn't even 8:30 in the morning!

Seth one quick question about today's run. The route you ran was it hilly espically with downhills? If so you might want to try and avoid downhill running until your PS is feeling better. I was having a talk with Kevin Beck "he coached me back in 08 and writes for Running Times" about this issue and he was telling me that a lot of hill running (downhill) running is a big cause of this issue. And if you have it running hills will make it flare up more due to the muscles being fatigued. Just something to think about buddy, please the hot weather could have helped fatigue your muscles a little today.
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison on Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:09 pm

@Schuey wrote:
@Seth Harrison wrote:Ab Ripper X followed by 6.3 miles on the preserve. It was already 78 and humid when I started. I kept the pace very easy (8:44/mile) and it was a nice warm run except for the fact that my performis bothered me the whole time. Again, I'm doing everything I've been told to do....heating pad when I wake up, stretching it out, foam roller, ice bath afterward. My intention is to continue to run through this, but it is so literally a pain in the ass. affraid

Yeah Ab Ripper is a tough one buddy. I hear you about the heat and humidity! Today in Florida it was already 81, 87% humidity and 78 dew point and it wasn't even 8:30 in the morning!

Seth one quick question about today's run. The route you ran was it hilly espically with downhills? If so you might want to try and avoid downhill running until your PS is feeling better. I was having a talk with Kevin Beck "he coached me back in 08 and writes for Running Times" about this issue and he was telling me that a lot of hill running (downhill) running is a big cause of this issue. And if you have it running hills will make it flare up more due to the muscles being fatigued. Just something to think about buddy, please the hot weather could have helped fatigue your muscles a little today.

Maybe you're right Schuey. I was wondering what effect the downhills may have on thiePF issue. Although it didn't feel particularly worse on the downhills, the cumulative effect could be detrimental (as Kevin Beck pointed out). Maybe I'll try to avoid the preserve and stick to my weekday trails for now and see if that makes a difference.
Hope you guys are having a good time down in Florida.
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey on Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:39 pm

Yeah were having fun! Maybe to much fun is there is such a thing. I think the hardest thing being away from homes especially when on vacation is staying on track. It is so easy to get out of a routine and again being away from home makes it hard. Also really trying to get use to this crazy heat in SW Florida! Man it is crazy. I mean we get some bad weather in Chicago but here it is everyday and it is 24hours a day!
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison on Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:42 pm

@Schuey wrote:Yeah were having fun! Maybe to much fun is there is such a thing. I think the hardest thing being away from homes especially when on vacation is staying on track. It is so easy to get out of a routine and again being away from home makes it hard. Also really trying to get use to this crazy heat in SW Florida! Man it is crazy. I mean we get some bad weather in Chicago but here it is everyday and it is 24hours a day!

I complain all winter long, so you'll never hear me complain about the heat.
As far as getting out of your routine while on vacation, I thought that's what vacations were for!
I know what you're talking about though. In terms of training, I just try to do the best I can. At the same time, there's nothing I love more than running in new and unfamiliar places. For me, that's one of the most fun aspects of getting away.
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey on Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:58 pm

@Seth Harrison wrote:
@Schuey wrote:Yeah were having fun! Maybe to much fun is there is such a thing. I think the hardest thing being away from homes especially when on vacation is staying on track. It is so easy to get out of a routine and again being away from home makes it hard. Also really trying to get use to this crazy heat in SW Florida! Man it is crazy. I mean we get some bad weather in Chicago but here it is everyday and it is 24hours a day!

As far as getting out of your routine while on vacation, I thought that's what vacations were for!
I know what you're talking about though. In terms of training, I just try to do the best I can. At the same time, there's nothing I love more than running in new and unfamiliar places. For me, that's one of the most fun aspects of getting away.

Yep I never complain about the heat either. I would rather deal with this then winter and being on a treadmill almost everyday!

To funny about vacation you are spot on about that. And yes, it has been fun running some of my old routes down here at my parents place.
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP on Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:32 pm

These are really solid, consistent runs, Seth. I wouldn't call them easy at all. And Schuey has a point - running up and down hills will stress lots of tissues/tendons, etc. But you don't really feel them while you are running, it's afterwards. Have you ever considered doing the hill sprints in the Hudson programs? He credits those for a lot of injury-free runners. They really build up the muscles and that, gradually, without a lot of stress on them. Just a thought - I do them on a treadmill as there are few good hills around here.
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison on Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:50 am

@JohnP wrote:These are really solid, consistent runs, Seth. I wouldn't call them easy at all. And Schuey has a point - running up and down hills will stress lots of tissues/tendons, etc. But you don't really feel them while you are running, it's afterwards. Have you ever considered doing the hill sprints in the Hudson programs? He credits those for a lot of injury-free runners. They really build up the muscles and that, gradually, without a lot of stress on them. Just a thought - I do them on a treadmill as there are few good hills around here.

John, I'll take at look at Hudson's hill sprints. I've been doing nothing but easy miles as I rebuild my mileage base, but I'm pretty close (even with the periformis issue) to getting back to a bit of speed work. I've got about two weeks left until I start my marathon training cycle. Those type of hill sprints may be a good way to ease back into it.

5 more easy miles this morning. I kept it slower, but not quite recovery slow (8:52 pace). The PF was the same...no better, no worse.
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 on Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:01 am

I'm with Schuey, having had the piriformis issues, they were definitely irritated by hills more than anything else. That and running fast seemed to bother it the most. I'll also vouch for the hill sprints being good for you. I've totally slacked off on doing the piriformis exercises, but religiously do the hill sprints at least once a week and have remained pain free. The other thing that bugs me the most is sitting on my butt in a car for hours on end. Avoid that at all costs, because it just puts pressure on the sciatic nerve and piriformis and takes some time to get it stretched back out.

The runs are definitely looking encouraging though. Keep it up and keep stretching and rolling!
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison on Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:20 am

@mul21 wrote:I'm with Schuey, having had the piriformis issues, they were definitely irritated by hills more than anything else. That and running fast seemed to bother it the most. I'll also vouch for the hill sprints being good for you. I've totally slacked off on doing the piriformis exercises, but religiously do the hill sprints at least once a week and have remained pain free. The other thing that bugs me the most is sitting on my butt in a car for hours on end. Avoid that at all costs, because it just puts pressure on the sciatic nerve and piriformis and takes some time to get it stretched back out.

The runs are definitely looking encouraging though. Keep it up and keep stretching and rolling!

Thanks Jim. The sciatic nerve has been causing me the most pain as the PF muscle leans directly on it (as I understand it). You're right about sitting in the car. It's the worst. Unfortunately it's unavoidable as I spend my work day driving from shoot to shoot.
I'll start doing the hill sprints soon. I look up Hudson's plans and see what they call for.
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 on Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:52 am

I do mine at 10% incline, 10 mph for 10 seconds. I do 8 of them, but you might want to work up to that. I do the 10 seconds and then give myself 45 seconds to recover.Seems to work out well.
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison on Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:04 am

@mul21 wrote:I do mine at 10% incline, 10 mph for 10 seconds. I do 8 of them, but you might want to work up to that. I do the 10 seconds and then give myself 45 seconds to recover.Seems to work out well.

I'll most likely do them outdoors. I've got no shortage of good hills, both trails and asphalt. Probably not quite 10%, but pretty steep.
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H on Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:48 pm

@Schuey wrote:
@Seth Harrison wrote:

Yep I never complain about the heat either. I would rather deal with this then winter and being on a treadmill almost everyday!

To funny about vacation you are spot on about that. And yes, it has been fun running some of my old routes down here at my parents place.

Sorry to hijack Seth but Schuey I know you would be on the treadmill if you had to deal with this heat for 6 months. SW Florida has similar weather as Houston and I can guarantee you would be on the treadmill or doing anything you could to avoid this heat everyday. You can deal with it for a few weeks sure but 6 months of this CRAP there is no way you wouldn't complain about this kind of weather. It is life sucking, energy draining heat fest from April to October. I know you guys have terrible winters but our summers are just as bad because they go on for so damn long. Just ask Ken...the guy who didn't run with water until he came down here, he is now running with a 50oz Camelbak! Coincidence, I don't think so.

Seth - I am glad to see you are running again and looking forward to another marathon in the fall. I sure hope this is a better training cycle for you than Boston .
Joel H
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalie on Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:54 pm

Isn't Hudson the "Run Faster at any Distance" guy? I did a couple of those plans (I definitely remember all the hill repeats), and I didn't get faster at any single distance. That's just me though... I'm apparently on a fast decline.
Natalie
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison on Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:34 pm

@Joel H wrote:
@Schuey wrote:
@Seth Harrison wrote:

Sorry to hijack Seth but Schuey I know you would be on the treadmill if you had to deal with this heat for 6 months. SW Florida has similar weather as Houston and I can guarantee you would be on the treadmill or doing anything you could to avoid this heat everyday. You can deal with it for a few weeks sure but 6 months of this CRAP there is no way you wouldn't complain about this kind of weather. It is life sucking, energy draining heat fest from April to October. I know you guys have terrible winters but our summers are just as bad because they go on for so damn long. Just ask Ken...the guy who didn't run with water until he came down here, he is now running with a 50oz Camelbak! Coincidence, I don't think so.

Seth - I am glad to see you are running again and looking forward to another marathon in the fall. I sure hope this is a better training cycle for you than Boston .

Joel, having lived in the northeast my whole life, I've always said (and I stand by it!) that I'd love twelve months of summer! I find the bitter cold to be, to quote you, "life sucking, energy draining". I'm just so tired of dealing with everything the winter throws at me.

Natalie Wolf wrote:Isn't Hudson the "Run Faster at any Distance" guy? I did a couple of those plans (I definitely remember all the hill repeats), and I didn't get faster at any single distance. That's just me though... I'm apparently on a fast decline.

Natalie, yes, that's Hudson's book, which I own. I looked at his sections on hill sprints and hill repeats today. He specifically talks about how hill work is good for injury prone runners. Needless to say, I'm going to start slowly giving them a place in my training schedule. He recommends you add them on to the end of an easy workout.
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Liz R on Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:38 pm

Trying to catch up a bit. My left hip feels like yours, but not always. I get that sciatica feel sometimes. It isn't where true sciatica is, but on the side. The sad thing is, that pain is progress!

Getting old. But we push through and figure out new ways to keep moving.

Liz R
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top