365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Hoping for Fall redemption

Page 19 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Hoping for Fall redemption

Post  Chris M on Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:10 pm

I like it. Do stop and think about what your A/B/C goals mean pace-wise. What I mean by that is that you do not have to....no, you SHOULD NOT.....run any miles in the 7:30 range. A mile under that and it is SHAME ON YOU!

This is both good and bad. Good because you can easily run in that kind of pace range - this marathon time you are shooting for is well well well within your capabilties. Bad because not paying close attention will having you "banking time" with easy running well under target pace and those stories rarely end well...

I know you've got the speed to crack off a bunch of miles in that 7:30 and faster range but man would that be counterproductive. So, as weird as this sounds my going in advice to you is to slow down and really monitor yourself from going too fast. If you are seeing 7:3X in a mile, you are going too fast. If you see 7:2X I would literally slow yourself down to a recovery walk to get back with the program. Speed kills....at least in the first 3/4 of a marathon. Vivian recently did a textbook job of pace control and I want you to nail the same kind of race, getting a solid BQ.

Patience. Patience. Patience.

You've got this, Seth. Smart execution is so key so stay "locked in" mentally and stay right on goal pace.

I'm excited to see you get this, Seth! Schuey and Lisa will be at my house that morning so know that we will be watching on the computer together and checking things out. Might even have to crack an AM beer in your honor if you get the BQ. GOOD LUCK AND PLEASE HAVE FUN OUT THERE!!
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison on Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:47 am

KBFitz wrote:Looks like a good plan to me Seth. Well within your range. Just stay focused on your way back in from Manayunk -- possibly into a quartering headwind ... it don't mean a thing and may well serve to keep you cool. Good luck!

Thanks Kevin. A headwind would certainly not be fun during that last 10k, but yes, as long as it's not too bad, could dry the sweat a bit, which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

Chris M wrote:I like it. Do stop and think about what your A/B/C goals mean pace-wise. What I mean by that is that you do not have to....no, you SHOULD NOT.....run any miles in the 7:30 range. A mile under that and it is SHAME ON YOU!

This is both good and bad. Good because you can easily run in that kind of pace range - this marathon time you are shooting for is well well well within your capabilties. Bad because not paying close attention will having you "banking time" with easy running well under target pace and those stories rarely end well...

I know you've got the speed to crack off a bunch of miles in that 7:30 and faster range but man would that be counterproductive. So, as weird as this sounds my going in advice to you is to slow down and really monitor yourself from going too fast. If you are seeing 7:3X in a mile, you are going too fast. If you see 7:2X I would literally slow yourself down to a recovery walk to get back with the program. Speed kills....at least in the first 3/4 of a marathon. Vivian recently did a textbook job of pace control and I want you to nail the same kind of race, getting a solid BQ.

Patience. Patience. Patience.

You've got this, Seth. Smart execution is so key so stay "locked in" mentally and stay right on goal pace.

I'm excited to see you get this, Seth! Schuey and Lisa will be at my house that morning so know that we will be watching on the computer together and checking things out. Might even have to crack an AM beer in your honor if you get the BQ. GOOD LUCK AND PLEASE HAVE FUN OUT THERE!!

Chris, the fastest miles on my pace band are two at 7:35, along with one mile at 7:36, and come at downhill sections of the course. I have no plans to ever do anything faster than those miles. All the other miles are in the 7:40's or 7:50's, with two miles with mild hills that are a bit over 8:00. What that means is that the pacing strategy that I have chosen replicates most of my long training runs, albeit over a lot more miles than I did in any single run during training. With a slower first half, my hope is that I'll enough left in the tank to finish strong over the last 10k.
I hope I can give you guys an excuse to start drinking early! Very Happy
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki on Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:59 am

Good luck this weekend Seth.
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c on Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:45 am

Here's hoping all the training and hard work pays off for you this weekend Seth. You deserve to have a great race day so hopefully that will come to pass.
jon c
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:04 pm

Have a great race this weekend, Seth!
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison on Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:45 am

Hey Alex, Jon, and Michele, thanks very much!
The early weather forecasts for Philly looks good. Cloudy and a high of 64, meaning it should be in the 50's for most if not all of the marathon. I'm still trying to throw off the remnants of a chest cold, and my breathing isn't 100%, but I'm hoping that by Sunday it's no longer an issue. There may be a small amount of taper madness that's perhaps making it seem a little worse.
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 on Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:22 am

Good luck this weekend Seth!
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison on Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:53 am

Thanks Jim!

This morning was 5 miles with 2 miles at about MP - 20 sec. The breathing was not an issue, and the knee feels fine.
Nothing tomorrow, 2-3 easy miles on Friday, and a very short shake out run in Philly on Saturday.
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Wolfe on Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:05 am

Seth -- I hope you have a great race. Hit your goals and have fun. Good Luck.
Dave Wolfe
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick on Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:15 am

jon c wrote:Here's hoping all the training and hard work pays off for you this weekend Seth. You deserve to have a great race day so hopefully that will come to pass.
+1,000

Go get em!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie on Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:28 pm

Have a great race, Seth! I really hope it goes wonderfully for you!
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy E on Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:26 am

Hi Seth, can't wait to see how well you do. Hope you have a great race.
Randy E
Poster
Poster

View user profile http://www.eggefinancial.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:30 am

Enjoy it, Seth!
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison on Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:20 am

Dave, John, Julie, Randy, Michael, thanks for the good wishes.

This morning was three easy miles with two 40 sec. strides. Other than packing and running one or two errands today, the plan is to just take it easy.
The chest cold is still there, but it's mild, and I'm hoping it won't be a factor.
I'll head to Philly tomorrow morning, do a little shake out run, hit the expo, grab an early dinner with Kenny, and hopefully get a decent night's sleep and feel good come Sunday morning.
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H on Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:30 am

Good luck Seth, I will be checking in on you to see that you got your BQ.
Joel H
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P on Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:08 pm

Have a fantastic race Seth!
Dave P
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M on Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:46 pm

Have a great day out there, Seth.
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:05 pm

Good luck, Seth! Have a great race.
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vivian on Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:17 pm

Have a great race Seth!
Vivian

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK on Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:25 pm

Good luck this weekend, Seth!!!
KathyK
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison on Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:50 pm

Thanks everyone for the good wishes.

I'm hoping, really hoping, that this is just taper madness, but the chest cold that I've been carrying around for a couple weeks is still there, and frankly, I've felt like crap for the past couple of days. Last night I actually got online and started looking for alternative marathons in December, and I found what looks like a nice one. It's the Rehoboth (Delaware) Beach Marathon on Dec. 10th. It's a small marathon, maxing at 400 runners on a flat, scenic looking course. I contacted the RD and found out that they're not close to filling up.
So after talking about it with a good friend from my club, here's my thinking...If I find that by mile 20 in Philly I'm not having a good day and it's clearly not happening for me, I can give myself the option of stepping off the course and turning it into a long training run (I never did get in that last 20 anyway!). Then I have three weeks in which to get better and give it another shot.
Obviously I'm hoping that taper madness is making me feel worse than I really am, and that I'll surprise myself on Sunday. The truth is that I'm not feeling 100%, and I've never been even remotely sick going into a marathon, so I feel a little better knowing that I have an option if things really do go badly.
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:42 pm

I know that Huntsville (AL) is not as close as Rehobeth, but it is a great little marathon. Well run, flat and pretty fast.

Hopefully, it is all just taper madness. Be good to yourself, Seth.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison on Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:12 am

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:I know that Huntsville (AL) is not as close as Rehobeth, but it is a great little marathon. Well run, flat and pretty fast.

Hopefully, it is all just taper madness. Be good to yourself, Seth.

Hey Michele, I'm sure Huntsville is nice, but Alabama is too far of a drive, whereas Delaware is only about 3 hours, so it's an easy overnight trip. At any rate, I'm hoping that after tomorrow, any thoughts of a back-up marathon are unnecessary.

I'm feeling a bit better this morning. Two good nights of sleep may have helped. I have been taking Nyquil for the past few nights, but I didn't take anything last night, and other than maybe a couple of Tylenol, I don't plan on taking anything between now and tomorrow morning. I hope to get a good night's sleep tonight, but you know how it is the night before a marathon...
I'm heading down in a few minutes for Philly.
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Wolfe on Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:24 am

Seth Harrison wrote:Thanks everyone for the good wishes.

It's the Rehoboth (Delaware) Beach Marathon on Dec. 10th. It's a small marathon, maxing at 400 runners on a flat, scenic looking course. I contacted the RD and found out that they're not close to filling up.

Don't know the actual marathon route. But think flat -- as in pancake. My parents have a home in lower slower Delaware not far from Rehobeth. Flat! Of course you won't need this info. Good luck!!
Dave Wolfe
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M on Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:42 am

BQ FOR SETH!!

3:29:46.

Great job and congrats Seth. Sitting here with Schuey and Lisa and we were watching to see the time go final. Enjoy your celebration!!
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top