365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoping for Fall redemption

+30
fostever
Penelope
Paula Sue
Mark B
Peg Coover
jon c
Dave Wolfe
Liz R
Joel H
Michele "1L" Keane
Julie
Michael Enright
Alex Kubacki
JohnP
Dave P
Jim Lentz
Tom H
Randy E
mul21
KathyK
Mike MacLellan
John Kilpatrick
Mrs. Schuey
Schuey
Matt W
Chris M
Jerry
Kenny B.
Natalie
Seth Harrison
34 posters

Page 18 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

Hoping for Fall redemption - Page 18 Empty Re: Hoping for Fall redemption

Post  Julie Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:08 pm

Good run! Glad to hear the knee was OK. Now take it as easy as you need to till race day!

Sorry about the winter storm. I have friends in CT who are both talking about snow and ice yesterday. I'm so not ready for snow yet.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:22 pm

Nice! Glad to hear it.
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:08 pm

Hey Seth glad to read that the systems are all go for next week. Have a great last week of taper and have a wonderful run next weekend. I will be looking for you on the TV!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:52 pm

Julie wrote:Good run! Glad to hear the knee was OK. Now take it as easy as you need to till race day!

Sorry about the winter storm. I have friends in CT who are both talking about snow and ice yesterday. I'm so not ready for snow yet.

Thanks Julie. I made the right call getting my run in yesterday. We're getting absolutely slammed today. With the leaves still on the trees, the heavy wet snow is causing trees to fall all over the place. It's totally treacherous out there right now.

Michael Enright wrote:Nice! Glad to hear it.

Thanks Michael.

Schuey wrote:Hey Seth glad to read that the systems are all go for next week. Have a great last week of taper and have a wonderful run next weekend. I will be looking for you on the TV!

Hey Schuey, don't bother looking for me on TV next week, my marathon is in Philly on Nov. 20th. We do have a bunch of 365 team members who you may try to catch a glimpse of .
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:59 pm

You know Seth what a bone head move, I knew you were running Philly! I guess for some reason I'm use to you running NY, sorry about that!

But didn't you know there is going to be special TV coverage of Philly just for you? Wink
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:18 pm

Schuey wrote:You know Seth what a bone head move, I knew you were running Philly! I guess for some reason I'm use to you running NY, sorry about that!

But didn't you know there is going to be special TV coverage of Philly just for you? Wink

Oh yeah, that would make for great TV ratings... No
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:58 pm

That's a nice, solid run, Seth. I'm glad you decided to err on the side of caution - and that you went out for your run before "Snowtober" barreled into the Northeast.

Let's hope more sane weather returns for the folks in NYC next week, and for you in Philly.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Neil Ruggiero Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:50 am

Ya good thing you did it a day early, everything was a mess the whole weekend. Good luck and rest up!
Neil Ruggiero
Neil Ruggiero
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:49 am

Thanks Mark and Neil.

Solid hilly interval workout. 8.25 miles in total with 6 pretty fast ntervals starting with a .75 interval and then 5 x 4 min. intervals.
The legs feel good and I'm feeling reasonably strong. I'll finish up training with a 12 miler this weekend with probably 6 at MP or a bit faster. After that, it's taper.
Today's splits:

Hoping for Fall redemption - Page 18 Pictur62
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:08 pm

Five easy miles with a mild cold and I felt it. I'm pretty happy to have the cold now rather than in two weeks.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:06 pm

12 miles with 6 at a little faster than MP. Running with a pretty good cold made it tough.
Now taper...
Today's splits:

Hoping for Fall redemption - Page 18 Pictur63
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:58 pm

First taper run...5 GA miles averaged at about MP + 30 sec.
The knee has been really painful, but as usual, it didn't really bother me during the run, and it felt substantially better after the run than it had all day. Go figure.
I'm going to go back on anti-inflammatories for a couple of days since that really helped last week. I may take them up until a couple of days before the marathon.
Rest day tomorrow, than a taper speedwork session on Wednesday.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:05 am

Taper ought to help. Just take it easy, but not too easy! Very Happy Always easier said than done...
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:44 am

Welcome to taper Seth. I just said a prayer for you & your knee.
Dave P
Dave P
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:10 am

praying for your knee, too. I hope everything heals up before your race.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:20 pm

Thanks very much Michael, Dave, and Julie.

The knee has been really painful, but as has been the case, it didn't give me any trouble during today's final speed workout.
It was a taper run, with less mileage. 6.6 miles in total, with intervals of 10 min/8 min/4 min, with 3 minute jog intervals between. The splits were strong, and as I've been saying, I'm definitely faster than I've been. Whether or not the endurance is there is the only concern (besides the knee), but as my coach said this morning, come mile 20 I'll be tired...deal with it.
Today's splits:

Hoping for Fall redemption - Page 18 Pictur64
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:09 pm

I think most people are tired at mile 20. It looks like if your knee stays together for you on race day you should have a great time! And if you don't, you still have the fitness gains you can invest into your next race once you get your knee all healed.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:07 pm

Mike is a wise man, Seth, you know that. I can tell you though that neither my glute/hammie or AT issue bothered me at all on Sunday, and they both feel great today. I know it isn't quite the same (no surgery issues), but it will give you something good to look forward to.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:51 pm

Allright, let's hear the plan. Here's my worry - it is that you will feel so good (knee pain gone, stride loose and easy) that you will trick yourself into OKing running way fast in the first half. Put out the pacing plan in writing here and if it feels that easy in the 1st half, that's GREAT and just enjoy the relaxed run. I think you are prepared to run this BQ on a good day or even a so so day. As long as we don't get a truly bad day (and those are more rare) you should be good to go. So....keep yourself in check and stick to the goal and don't get greedy early on and decide that MP can actually be MP minus 15 seconds for 10 miles or so.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:39 pm

Julie wrote:I think most people are tired at mile 20. It looks like if your knee stays together for you on race day you should have a great time! And if you don't, you still have the fitness gains you can invest into your next race once you get your knee all healed.

Thanks Julie...I'm putting all my chips on the table for this race. There's no back-up plan, so the knee had better hold together!

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Mike is a wise man, Seth, you know that. I can tell you though that neither my glute/hammie or AT issue bothered me at all on Sunday, and they both feel great today. I know it isn't quite the same (no surgery issues), but it will give you something good to look forward to.

Hey Michele, yeah, I'm trusting in the coach! Hopefully I'll have the same experience of no pain during the race. As far as afterwards, I'm glad to read that you're feeling good. I have no such illusions about how I'll feel after I finish!

Chris M wrote:Allright, let's hear the plan. Here's my worry - it is that you will feel so good (knee pain gone, stride loose and easy) that you will trick yourself into OKing running way fast in the first half. Put out the pacing plan in writing here and if it feels that easy in the 1st half, that's GREAT and just enjoy the relaxed run. I think you are prepared to run this BQ on a good day or even a so so day. As long as we don't get a truly bad day (and those are more rare) you should be good to go. So....keep yourself in check and stick to the goal and don't get greedy early on and decide that MP can actually be MP minus 15 seconds for 10 miles or so.

Chris, I'll be posting the plan in the next few days but the one thing I can guarantee is that I won't be going out too fast. That's a mistake I haven't made in a long time, and no matter how good I hopefully feel, that won't happen. I'll most likely be using a pace band with a slow start so I'll have that to guide me. I'll work on the pace band this weekend, and I'll blog about it when I do. The one thing I remember well from my first Philly is that it's set up nicely for a negative split (which I did do in 2009), so a slower start and working up to pace is the general plan.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:17 pm

I like your plan. I'll be working it like that as well.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:16 pm

Here's hoping that your race plan falls together perfectly. Hope race conditions are good as I have no idea about the weather out there for the weekend. I'll be anxious to hear how things go for you Seth!
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:48 pm

jon c wrote:Here's hoping that your race plan falls together perfectly. Hope race conditions are good as I have no idea about the weather out there for the weekend. I'll be anxious to hear how things go for you Seth!

Thanks Jon!

Yesterday was an easy 8 miler with 2 at MP. My plan for the next week is just to run every other day, giving the knee extra rest during taper. I think it's already responding to the decrease in mileage. It still hurts, but not nearly as much, and it didn't bother me at all during yesterday's run. I'm also trying to fight off this cold, which seems to have settled in my chest. I'm figuring that by next Sunday it should have cleared out.
Tonight I'll finally start working on a pace band.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Hoping for Fall redemption - Page 18 Empty Pacing and strategy for Philly

Post  Seth Harrison Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:13 pm

I went on to Greg Maclin's site and printed out a pace band for Sunday's Philly marathon. I'm using the same pacing strategy as I did when I ran it in 2009 in 3:29:35, which is still my PR.
My goals are as follows:

A) 3:25, which would give me BQ-5 min.
B) under 3:29:35 which would be a PR and a BQ
C) under 3:30, which is what I need for the BQ

I plugged in a goal time of 3:24:30, which is only about 1 sec. per mile faster than my actual goal.
The average pace for that time is 7:48/mile, which is slightly slower than what most of my MP miles have been throughout training.
The strategy is for a fairly slow start, and even effort, with no fade at the end. If I keep to the prescribed paces, I'll run about a 50 second negative split, which is very close to what I did in 2009.
The slowest mile is mile 1 at 8:18. This is a good slow first mile for me, as running at that pace will allow me to warm up. I won't hit marathon pace until mile 3.

As I said, this is the same strategy that I used in 2009. The difference is that I'm shooting for a roughly 5 minute faster marathon. I definitely finished up this training cycle faster than I've even been. Besides the bad knee and mild chest cold that I hope will be cleared up by Sunday, my only concern is having the endurance to maintain that pace for the whole marathon. I probably had the same concern in 2009, and I ended up finishing stronger than I ever thought I could, with the last mile being my fastest. I'll be thrilled if I can replicate that performance.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  KBFitz Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:23 pm

Looks like a good plan to me Seth. Well within your range. Just stay focused on your way back in from Manayunk -- possibly into a quartering headwind ... it don't mean a thing and may well serve to keep you cool. Good luck!
KBFitz
KBFitz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next