365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoping for Fall redemption

+30
fostever
Penelope
Paula Sue
Mark B
Peg Coover
jon c
Dave Wolfe
Liz R
Joel H
Michele "1L" Keane
Julie
Michael Enright
Alex Kubacki
JohnP
Dave P
Jim Lentz
Tom H
Randy E
mul21
KathyK
Mike MacLellan
John Kilpatrick
Mrs. Schuey
Schuey
Matt W
Chris M
Jerry
Kenny B.
Natalie
Seth Harrison
34 posters

Page 11 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

Hoping for Fall redemption - Page 11 Empty Re: Hoping for Fall redemption

Post  Chris M Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:48 am

Have fun running Tennessee.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:29 am

That's probably the perfect kind of up tempo work for you to be doing Seth. Something to get the legs and heart pumping but not tax you too much and aggravate any of those niggles. Keep it up and have fun in Memphis.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:44 am

Good running! Enjoy Memphis and the family.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:03 pm

After being away for a while, it was good to see that you don't have any major troubles at this time Seth.
Dave P
Dave P
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:44 pm

Have a good trip and some nice runs, Seth.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:21 am

I don't know if it's divine intervention or the ghost of Elvis sending me a message, but this morning's run in Memphis turned out to be a bit different from what I had expected, and a lot of fun. My plan was to run at Shelby Farms, the park where I turned my ankle so badly during Boston training earlier this year. I got into my daughter's car to drive out there, and the car was dead. Keep in mind that five minutes earlier I had driven it a couple of blocks to get a cup of coffee, and it ran perfectly. I could have taken their other car, but that would have left them with no car while I was gone, so instead, I decided to take a tour of downtown Memphis by foot. I left their house on Mud Island, ran over the bridge into downtown and set out along Main St. I ran down S. Main, past the Lorraine Motel, where Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. was assassinated, took that to the end, turned around, ran back towards downtown, made a right on the famous Beale St. and wouldn't you know it, at about 9:30 a.m. on a Saturday morning in downtown Memphis, there to greet me was the King himself! (o.k. it was an Elvis impersonator, but how cool was that).
As for the run, it was 79 degrees, pretty humid, and my first run on asphalt in months. I did a total of 9.5 miles for a decent step back week long run. I kept it an easy GA pace of 8:42/mile. The foot is a little sore, so I'm icing it now.
As I'm sitting here, my son-in-law just informed that it's Elvis week down here, which of course accounts for early morning Elvis sighting.
I'll either finish up my step back week tomorrow with a short run, or I may cut it back even further with an extra day off. I'll see if the foot is sore in the morning and make the call then.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:51 am

sounds like a fun run! Sorry about the sore foot, I hope it's much improved in the morning.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:21 pm

How fun that was...to see Elvis while NOT at a race.Smile Glad you made it into a new adventure. Lifes plans often change what we think we're going to be doing. Roll with the changes, and that's what you did. Hope all goes well the rest of the trip for you Seth!
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Liz R Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:21 pm

What an adventure!

Liz R
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:52 pm

Julie, Jon, Liz, thanks!

I finished up the step back week with a slow 3.5 miles back through a small part of downtown Memphis this morning. No running tomorrow, but I'll get one more run in before we fly home on Tuesday.

Here's an observation from yesterday's and today's run that I'll probably post to The Running Forum. I do almost all my running on trails, but I've run on asphalt for the past two days. I find that my pace on asphalt is faster without any extra effort. It's tough to say how much faster, but I'm guessing it's about a ten second/mile difference. This leaves me with an issue for this fall's marathon. The Nov. 20th Bucks County marathon that I had planned to run (but haven't signed up for yet) is a trail marathon (hard gravel, non-technical, similar to what I train on). My other option is Philadelphia, which is the same day. I've already run Philly, which was my fastest marathon ever and the site of my BQ. I had wanted to run Bucks County to do something different, and because logistically it would be a little easier. If however, running on trails is going to cost me time, than I'd probably prefer to go back to Philly, as my goal for this year's marathon is recapture the BQ. I'd be interested in reading what other's thought about this.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:31 pm

You bring up a thought about running on trails vs. pavement - with your history, it seems running on (safe) trails might be a consideration for marathon training - I would think you would want to run on pavement in training for a paved marathon, but not if it is just going to aggravate a slowly healing foot. Do you feel like you have enough speed in the bank when peaked for a marathon to sacrifice a little time for what I would assume would be kinder (to your foot) trail training? Just a thought - the run through Memphis did sound like fun!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:39 pm

John Kilpatrick wrote:You bring up a thought about running on trails vs. pavement - with your history, it seems running on (safe) trails might be a consideration for marathon training - I would think you would want to run on pavement in training for a paved marathon, but not if it is just going to aggravate a slowly healing foot. Do you feel like you have enough speed in the bank when peaked for a marathon to sacrifice a little time for what I would assume would be kinder (to your foot) trail training? Just a thought - the run through Memphis did sound like fun!

John, I do virtually all my training on trails, and no, I have a feeling I won't have any time to give back if running a trail marathon is going to cost me time. Thus, my dilemma!
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:48 pm

Then my vote would be do your training on trails and run your race on pavement. Your odds of hurting your foot on one day in a race are probably relatively low, but you would have a chance to nurse the foot back if it does end up really sore.

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:56 pm

Try at to do at least some of your training runs on blacktop so that your body doesn't freak out when you race on blacktop.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:45 pm

John Kilpatrick wrote:Then my vote would be do your training on trails and run your race on pavement. Your odds of hurting your foot on one day in a race are probably relatively low, but you would have a chance to nurse the foot back if it does end up really sore.

Jim Lentz wrote:Try at to do at least some of your training runs on blacktop so that your body doesn't freak out when you race on blacktop.

What you both suggested is exactly how I always do it. I'll do almost all my training on the trails, and than do a couple of long runs, with at least one 20 miler, on asphalt.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:04 pm

seth im going to take a different approach. although I agree with pavement being easier as far as smoother to run resulting usually faster pace at same hr effort I also believe trails don't beat your legs up as much so question back to you "which would you benefit more from less pounding on legs at trail vs. at philly pavement - does less wear and tear on legs actually lead to easier race and faster time because your legs hold up better. Then again I believe the fastest marathon times are all on pavement.

I ran my pr on trails. Of course i 'd love to see you in philly so I can pass your ass. Maybe ill pace you if I go sub 3:20 in hartford. That would be cool to run with you to your victory! Ill be your personal water boy.

I'd go philly over the trail race only because you know the course.

I run on trails and there is about a mile where I can choose trails or pavement and sometimes I choose the pavement to actually give my legs a break it automatically becomes easier I think because I don't have to pick up the legs as much.

Go! Philly. Thrilla in Philla II

Last edited by Kenny B. on Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:29 pm

That sounds like a perfect Memphis run. If only Elvis had finished the run with you...
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:19 am

I agree running on gravel-maintained trail is easier on the legs but if I were going for a time goal I would stick with paved. But in the end decide which one is more appealing to you and enjoy.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:37 pm

Kenny B. wrote:seth im going to take a different approach. although I agree with pavement being easier as far as smoother to run resulting usually faster pace at same hr effort I also believe trails don't beat your legs up as much so question back to you "which would you benefit more from less pounding on legs at trail vs. at philly pavement - does less wear and tear on legs actually lead to easier race and faster time because your legs hold up better. Then again I believe the fastest marathon times are all on pavement.

I ran my pr on trails. Of course i 'd love to see you in philly so I can pass your ass. Maybe ill pace you if I go sub 3:20 in hartford. That would be cool to run with you to your victory! Ill be your personal water boy.

I'd go philly over the trail race only because you know the course.

I run on trails and there is about a mile where I can choose trails or pavement and sometimes I choose the pavement to actually give my legs a break it automatically becomes easier I think because I don't have to pick up the legs as much.

Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:49 pm

Kenny B. wrote:

I ran my pr on trails. Of course i 'd love to see you in philly so I can pass your ass.

Kenny...you have no credibility in this discussion. Your quote above says it all. You're just looking to redeem yourself after being so badly humiliated in that first go-around in Philly! Very Happy (and I have no doubt that if we have a round 2, you will get your redemption).

Michael Enright wrote:That sounds like a perfect Memphis run. If only Elvis had finished the run with you...

Michael, so far it's the highlight of my vacation (o.k...seeing my kids hasn't been so bad)!

Julie wrote:I agree running on gravel-maintained trail is easier on the legs but if I were going for a time goal I would stick with paved. But in the end decide which one is more appealing to you and enjoy.

Julie, based on the input I've gotten from my thread in the Runners Forum, I'm still leaning towards the trail marathon, but the next week or two of training will help me make my final decision.

We fly home from Memphis tomorrow night, which leaves me time for one last run through Memphis tomorrow morning. I'm tempted to drive out to Shelby Farms, but I've had such a good time in my two runs through the downtown area that I'll probably do a similar run one last time. Maybe I'll head from downtown towards midtown and run past Sun Studios to soak up a little more history.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:51 pm

I got two words for you... and it ain't "go scratch".

lol!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:35 am

Finished up my Memphis running with 6.5 miles at a decent GA pace, with one mile about 15-20 seconds slower than goal MP.
I'm happy that I was able to get in three runs while down here. They were all on asphalt. I will be happy to get home and get back to the trails, but running down here was a blast. We fly home tonight.
Here's today's splits:

Hoping for Fall redemption - Page 11 Pictur34
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:46 am

Solid effort seth. Fly well!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:49 am

Glad you were able to get the training in this past week and run in a somewhat unfamiliar area. Can understand the feeling of wanting to be home of course. Hope your week keeps progressing forward without injury!
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:57 am

Very nice run, Seth! Your pace is looking really good.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15 ... 20  Next