365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoping for Fall redemption

+30
fostever
Penelope
Paula Sue
Mark B
Peg Coover
jon c
Dave Wolfe
Liz R
Joel H
Michele "1L" Keane
Julie
Michael Enright
Alex Kubacki
JohnP
Dave P
Jim Lentz
Tom H
Randy E
mul21
KathyK
Mike MacLellan
John Kilpatrick
Mrs. Schuey
Schuey
Matt W
Chris M
Jerry
Kenny B.
Natalie
Seth Harrison
34 posters

Page 6 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 20  Next

Go down

Hoping for Fall redemption - Page 6 Empty Re: Hoping for Fall redemption

Post  Seth Harrison Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:21 pm

Michele, Kenny, Julie, Jim, Chris, thanks everyone.

I flew down to Atlanta early this morning, and drove immediately to where we were working in Marietta. After work and a very late lunch, I got to my hotel. I went to MapmyRun.com and found Kennesaw Mountain Battlefield Park, which is the site of a historic Civil War battle in 1864. It was only about a ten minute drive from my hotel, so I drove over there and found this great trail system that runs through the park. This run is summed up in three words...hot, hilly, and technical. For all those reasons, I kept it to an easy 5 miles. It was still in the 90's when I started running at 7:00 pm. Fortunately the trails are in thick woods, so they're protected from the sun. As always, I love discovering new places to run when I travel, and this place is really great.
Tomorrow I'll either go back to Kennesaw Mountain or perhaps explore a route that Michele suggested.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:21 am

Great run--sounds pretty!
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Wolfe Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:31 am

Sounds like a great run.
Dave Wolfe
Dave Wolfe
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:59 am

90s doesn't sound fun but Civil War battlefield does sound great...One of my friends ran the Chickamauga Battlefield Marathon (Ft Oglethorpe, GA) last year and said it was an awesome experience. It's on my list of some day marathons.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:19 am

Seth - I think that is the best part of trail runners they really learn to explore the earth finding little golden nuggets of running paths. nice job and smart keeping it easy and short.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:51 am

Sounds like a beautiful area except for the heat.
Joel H
Joel H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:11 am

Way to take advantage of your travels to experience some running adventure. Sounds like you were able to mix in some great scenery with a bit of history. Make sure you take some water with you on those hot days on unfamiliar trails in case you take a wrong turn and get stuck out there longer than you anticipated.
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:26 am

What a cool place to run.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:28 am

Sounds like a great place to run! Just make sure there aren't any repeats of the Memphis stumble on the unfamiliar trails!
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:03 pm

mul21 wrote:Sounds like a great place to run! Just make sure there aren't any repeats of the Memphis stumble on the unfamiliar trails!

Thanks for checking in everyone. Jim, I can't believe you remembered that. Thanks! I was thinking about it big time when I ran on the trails yesterday. I'm much more careful, constantly looking down as I run.

Another really hot, humid day, temps in the 90's, real feel of 106. I'll wait until much later again before venturing out to run.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:00 pm

Seth Harrison wrote:
mul21 wrote:Sounds like a great place to run! Just make sure there aren't any repeats of the Memphis stumble on the unfamiliar trails!

Thanks for checking in everyone. Jim, I can't believe you remembered that. Thanks! I was thinking about it big time when I ran on the trails yesterday. I'm much more careful, constantly looking down as I run.

Another really hot, humid day, temps in the 90's, real feel of 106. I'll wait until much later again before venturing out to run.

I would wait until September! Thank god for morning runs. I have double this Thursday around 5pm. Should be interesting.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:31 pm

Any sign of Kenesaw Mountain Landis on your run?

Sounds great!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:12 pm

Michael Enright wrote:Any sign of Kenesaw Mountain Landis on your run?

Sounds great!

No sign of him...or of Shoeless Joe, who's probably chasing him all over eternity!

Heading back to Kenesaw Battlefield trails for probably just another easy five.. At 6:10 pm, it's 88 degrees but with still high humidity. At least it's a bit cooler than yesterday's 93.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:23 pm

After getting back to my hotel and doing an Ab Ripper X workout, I did 5 miles up at Kennesaw Mountain Battlefied in Marietta, GA again. Same run as last night, but much tougher. At 88 degrees, it may have been a tiny bit cooler, but it was way more humid. I kept it slow at 9:23/mile.

I fly home after work tomorrow evening. I'm thrilled that I was able to get in two runs while down here. I think the rest of the week is going to be a step back week before starting marathon training next week. My leg is still far from 100%, and I doubt it will be, even with an easy week, but I'd like to start the training feeling as close to 100% as I can.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:41 pm

I don't know how you do the P90 work and then bust out a hilly trail run. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:21 pm

John Kilpatrick wrote:I don't know how you do the P90 work and then bust out a hilly trail run. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

John, doing Ab Ripper X before a run isn't too difficult since other than the hip flexors, it doesn't really involve the legs.

Got back from Atlanta at about 10:00 pm. No work today. Ab Ripper X followed by a solid GA run on my flat mid-week trail. 75 degrees and low humidity is quite different from the slop I was running in down south.
The periformis is still bothering me, making my leg feel heavy, but I seem to able to train through it.
Marathon training starts next week, so nothing too long or too fast this week.
Today's splits:

Hoping for Fall redemption - Page 6 Pictur24
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:25 pm

Seth, now that is a set of consistent splits - nice run. Sounds like quite the adventure in running down south. Whenever I go to a different region that has radically different temps/humidity it is always a learning experience, but how to incorporate that into training, don't know. I've got a little piriformis issue going on as well and posted in the health thread looking for more stretches, so maybe something will pop up that that can also help you out.
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:47 pm

Those are remarkably consistent splits - do you just do that by feel or do you closely watch a gps watch? Legs or no legs, the ab work is still impressive in and of itself, let alone coupled with a run!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:14 pm

Alright Seth looks like things are starting to click again. See over in John's blog you are thinking about trying out a Hudson plan? If you don't own the book and you are just looking to see the plans let me know, I can scan them and then email them over to you.

Getting ready to go out for my 2nd run with Lisa and have more to say about it but I think once you are ready to start hitting it a little harder I really think that you can benefit from following a Hudson plan. Like John has said and even Dave in the past the only thing the plan is light on is Tempo runs but you can always replace a fartlek or interval workout with the a Tempo run or FCR.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:46 pm

Tom and John, thanks!

Schuey wrote:Alright Seth looks like things are starting to click again. See over in John's blog you are thinking about trying out a Hudson plan? If you don't own the book and you are just looking to see the plans let me know, I can scan them and then email them over to you.

Getting ready to go out for my 2nd run with Lisa and have more to say about it but I think once you are ready to start hitting it a little harder I really think that you can benefit from following a Hudson plan. Like John has said and even Dave in the past the only thing the plan is light on is Tempo runs but you can always replace a fartlek or interval workout with the a Tempo run or FCR.

Thanks Schuey, I have Hudson's book and I plan on looking at it tonight. I did notice that his marathon plans are 20 weeks, which means I'm two weeks late getting started. I'm sure that's not a big deal though. If I have questions about his plans, I'll let you know.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:53 pm

Nice consistent splits, Seth. It looks like you're are primed to begin your marathon training cycle.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:18 am

Thanks Mark. I wish that were the case.
Sometimes I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle. Last night, out of the blue, both my foot and knee went from being mild aches that I was training through to being really painful. The knee, which is always there, kind of like background noise, is of less a concern that the foot. The foot hurts much more when I'm barefoot, which is how I usually walk around the house. The pain came about as I was just walking on my patio preparing dinner. When wearing a shoe, it's barely noticeable, so obviously I'm walking around the house in sneakers. I actually got dressed for running this morning, and then realized how foolish that would have been, especially when I'm supposed to start a training cycle in the next few days and had planned on this being a very easy week anyway. I ended doing a strong 2000 yard swim instead of the run. If I have time later, I may take the bike out for another workout.
I don't know what to make of the foot. I have no idea if it will tolerate serious training. I'll rest it for the next day or two and test it out. There's really nothing more I can do at this point.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Liz R Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:54 am

Is this the foot that hurt before? I hope this is just one of those out of the blue niggles that comes and goes quickly and mysteriously.

Liz R
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:26 am

Hopefully the foot is better soon, Seth.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:07 am

Seth - Body is got to be telling you something. One thing we humans are not very good at listening to our experiences. It is the best communication God offers is us yet this we even ignore. Glad you did not go for that run today. Not sure what is going on with you today but Triathlons are sounding much nicer lately for you. Swimming and biking no impact with less running might be the solution. I know how much you want to make it to Boston again, but Boston will go on without you losing no sleep, if you don't make it, will you?
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 20  Next