365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Taper Madness for 10/9/2011 (and anyone else that is simply mad)

+16
JohnP
ChasMcG
KathyK
Mike MacLellan
Julie
mul21
Nick Morris
Peg Coover
Mrs. Schuey
Schuey
John Kilpatrick
charles
Alex Kubacki
Mark B
Admin
Jack_Scaff
20 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Taper Madness  for 10/9/2011 (and anyone else that is simply mad) Empty Taper Madness for 10/9/2011 (and anyone else that is simply mad)

Post  Jack_Scaff Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:17 pm

I'm surprised that, given all of the people running on 10/9, that a taper madness thread has not yet started. Sorry, Lisa, to steal your thunder, but you snooze, you lose.

I know my madness has begun for Portland - I've already begun thinking about which micro-breweries I will be visiting. Taper Madness  for 10/9/2011 (and anyone else that is simply mad) Al-coholic
Jack_Scaff
Jack_Scaff
Poster
Poster

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Concord&st

Back to top Go down

Taper Madness  for 10/9/2011 (and anyone else that is simply mad) Empty Re: Taper Madness for 10/9/2011 (and anyone else that is simply mad)

Post  Admin Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:44 pm

Deschutes... so many good beers... so little time!

http://www.deschutesbrewery.com/locations/portland

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Taper Madness  for 10/9/2011 (and anyone else that is simply mad) Empty Re: Taper Madness for 10/9/2011 (and anyone else that is simply mad)

Post  Mark B Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:02 pm

Deschutes is wonderful. But you can also gain citizenship in Rogue Nation while you're in town.

Let's see, there's also Widmer Bros., BridgePort Brewery, and about a bazillion others.

Easy solution: Visit 'em all.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:06 pm

My marathon is Sunday and I lost my mind a while ago.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack_Scaff Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:32 pm

Never been to Deschutes (aren't they in Bend?), and being from Nor Cal, I hate to say I consider Widmer (while I enjoy it on a warm day) to be macro-brew esque.

I would love to go to Rogue. Been to Bridgeport...also Lucky Lab, Laurelwood, one or 2 of the McMinamins...

I have to go through my Celebrator Mag/Index of regional breweries and see what seems unique.

Oh, I heard about this app for all you Apple types...

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/microbrew/id378700455?mt=8
Jack_Scaff
Jack_Scaff
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  charles Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:38 pm

365 Runners don't taper. We PEAK!
charles
charles
Poster
Poster

http://www.memphis-defense.com

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:59 pm

Alex Kubacki wrote:My marathon is Sunday and I lost my mind a while ago.

I'm with Alex!!!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:09 pm

Taper Madness? What is that? Nothing but cool calm and collect in this house. What's that saying quiet before the storm!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:14 pm

Funny you mention this...I walk over the Adams Street bridge multiple times a day (this is right before the 1/2 mark in the marathon). I had a random thought while walking over it today...I thought to myself, "I will be cursing this bridge soon". Then I got over it. Then it came back and I thought, "wow, I'll only be half done at this spot". Oh Lord! At least I don't have to freak out about any of my GU's exploding on a plane. It's almost here! Can you believe it's almost here?! bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:37 pm

Mine is Oct 2. I've been reading over my old marathon race reports, posts on Runners World from this and last year on Twin cities, starting to check the weather, and had a couple weird dreams. yeah, taper!
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:43 pm

charles wrote:365 Runners don't taper. We PEAK!

Exactly!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:44 pm

Actually, my madness will probably not come for another week or so...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:59 pm

Nick Morris wrote:Actually, my madness will probably not come for another week or so...

Yep, next Thursday or Friday is when it will really start hitting me. All that extra energy and time from not running just starts to catch up to you and you start over analyzing everything. Boy, I can't wait! Rolling Eyes
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:21 pm

mul21 wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:Actually, my madness will probably not come for another week or so...

Yep, next Thursday or Friday is when it will really start hitting me. All that extra energy and time from not running just starts to catch up to you and you start over analyzing everything. Boy, I can't wait! Rolling Eyes

It IS a thing of beauty geek
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:35 am

I am reading this with a smile because I'm in the "my quads hurt walking to the mail box" recovery stage and it will be a long time before I taper again. Maybe the next time I'll just peak and not go through the madness.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack_Scaff Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:21 am

Mrs. Schuey wrote:I thought to myself, "I will be cursing this bridge soon". Then I got over it. Then it came back and I thought, "wow, I'll only be half done at this spot". Oh Lord!

I'll teel you, the mind fuck known as Chicago is horrible. What was it...North, then back, East then back, then South, then FINALLY back. Like a freaking running yo-yo gone mad.

Last edited by Jack_Scaff on Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Jack_Scaff
Jack_Scaff
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack_Scaff Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:25 am

I'm old and MAD

Jack_Scaff
Jack_Scaff
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:54 am

All that I have to say is that this sucks. I'm out of the excited mode and back into the OH CRAP mode because the thing is getting so close on the weather report now. I really worried about stuff like where do I park, where do I put my keys and glasses during the race, at what point do I put my wetsuit on, should I wear my Garmin watch, should I wear a HR strap, how many water bottles should I take with me, what if I have a flat tire, what tri shorts and shirt should I wear, how do I wear a timing chip without having it catch on my wetsuit, what if I take a wrong turn on the bike course, should I wear socks, should I put body glide on my ankles (it helps chafing, but also helps dirt/sand to stick to it), will my normal gray running shirt be too hot, when I eat a gel on the bike and I accidentally drop the top part you tear off, will I get penalized, what if I miss a water bottle at the hand-off, what if my goggles fog up, what should I do if I am too messed up to drive 5 hours home after the race, should I put bandaids over my nipples or let them bleed (serious stuff here), should I deflate my tires when I travel, should I replace my tires because I have used them on my bike trainer, should I take my trainer with me to do my short ride on Saturday or go out on the road, should I swim in the pool prior to leaving on Friday or should I swim in the river when I get there, if I do swim in the river, will the wetsuit have time to dry before Sunday morning, if not, will it be cold and hard to put on, should I walk if I get tired on the run or just run slower, when I take my wetsuit off, where do I put it, what should I eat today, tomorrow, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday morning, what if I can't sleep at night, what if I get a flat tire on the way from the hotel to the race (had a dream about that last night) - what if the car breaks down - should I just leave it on the road and jump on my bike and ride to the race, if so, what items should I bring with me, have I done enough, when someone attempts to pass me on the bike, should I let him or hammer down and make him/her drop back, how many times should I drive the bike course before I'm comfortable with it, what do I do if I have to go to the bathroom during the race, what if I can't go to the bathroom in the morning before the race?

Why is my stomach flopping around and it is only Wednesday?

OK, this isn't fun anymore......

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:55 am

Jack_Scaff wrote:I'm old and MAD

Great song!!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:06 am

oh wow, John, tapering for a Tri sounds even more tapery than for a marathon. Hang in there!
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:37 am

John Kilpatrick wrote:All that I have to say is that this sucks. I'm out of the excited mode and back into the OH CRAP mode because the thing is getting so close on the weather report now. I really worried about stuff like where do I park, where do I put my keys and glasses during the race, at what point do I put my wetsuit on, should I wear my Garmin watch, should I wear a HR strap, how many water bottles should I take with me, what if I have a flat tire, what tri shorts and shirt should I wear, how do I wear a timing chip without having it catch on my wetsuit, what if I take a wrong turn on the bike course, should I wear socks, should I put body glide on my ankles (it helps chafing, but also helps dirt/sand to stick to it), will my normal gray running shirt be too hot, when I eat a gel on the bike and I accidentally drop the top part you tear off, will I get penalized, what if I miss a water bottle at the hand-off, what if my goggles fog up, what should I do if I am too messed up to drive 5 hours home after the race, should I put bandaids over my nipples or let them bleed (serious stuff here), should I deflate my tires when I travel, should I replace my tires because I have used them on my bike trainer, should I take my trainer with me to do my short ride on Saturday or go out on the road, should I swim in the pool prior to leaving on Friday or should I swim in the river when I get there, if I do swim in the river, will the wetsuit have time to dry before Sunday morning, if not, will it be cold and hard to put on, should I walk if I get tired on the run or just run slower, when I take my wetsuit off, where do I put it, what should I eat today, tomorrow, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday morning, what if I can't sleep at night, what if I get a flat tire on the way from the hotel to the race (had a dream about that last night) - what if the car breaks down - should I just leave it on the road and jump on my bike and ride to the race, if so, what items should I bring with me, have I done enough, when someone attempts to pass me on the bike, should I let him or hammer down and make him/her drop back, how many times should I drive the bike course before I'm comfortable with it, what do I do if I have to go to the bathroom during the race, what if I can't go to the bathroom in the morning before the race?

HAHA...Having fun yet???
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:48 pm

John - Very Happy
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:15 pm

John Kilpatrick wrote:All that I have to say is that this sucks. I'm out of the excited mode and back into the OH CRAP mode because the thing is getting so close on the weather report now. I really worried about stuff like where do I park, where do I put my keys and glasses during the race, at what point do I put my wetsuit on, should I wear my Garmin watch, should I wear a HR strap, how many water bottles should I take with me, what if I have a flat tire, what tri shorts and shirt should I wear, how do I wear a timing chip without having it catch on my wetsuit, what if I take a wrong turn on the bike course, should I wear socks, should I put body glide on my ankles (it helps chafing, but also helps dirt/sand to stick to it), will my normal gray running shirt be too hot, when I eat a gel on the bike and I accidentally drop the top part you tear off, will I get penalized, what if I miss a water bottle at the hand-off, what if my goggles fog up, what should I do if I am too messed up to drive 5 hours home after the race, should I put bandaids over my nipples or let them bleed (serious stuff here), should I deflate my tires when I travel, should I replace my tires because I have used them on my bike trainer, should I take my trainer with me to do my short ride on Saturday or go out on the road, should I swim in the pool prior to leaving on Friday or should I swim in the river when I get there, if I do swim in the river, will the wetsuit have time to dry before Sunday morning, if not, will it be cold and hard to put on, should I walk if I get tired on the run or just run slower, when I take my wetsuit off, where do I put it, what should I eat today, tomorrow, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday morning, what if I can't sleep at night, what if I get a flat tire on the way from the hotel to the race (had a dream about that last night) - what if the car breaks down - should I just leave it on the road and jump on my bike and ride to the race, if so, what items should I bring with me, have I done enough, when someone attempts to pass me on the bike, should I let him or hammer down and make him/her drop back, how many times should I drive the bike course before I'm comfortable with it, what do I do if I have to go to the bathroom during the race, what if I can't go to the bathroom in the morning before the race?

Ye cats! First, most important step: BREATHE!!

Better? Good.

Now, remember also: the answer to every question is: Yes.

(Have I mentioned yet how glad I am that I don't have an October race? This is much more fun to watch than to experience.)

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:20 pm

Julie wrote:oh wow, John, tapering for a Tri sounds even more tapery than for a marathon. Hang in there!

I was thinking the same thing...so much more to obsess about! Shocked
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ChasMcG Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:11 am

Nick Morris wrote:
charles wrote:365 Runners don't taper. We PEAK!

Exactly!!

I like to peak

Very Happy Very Happy
ChasMcG
ChasMcG
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next