365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Treadmills- If you have one, please respond.

+9
ssilvert
Chris M
Liz R
Diego
Bob
Michael Mitchell
Mark B
Jack_Scaff
dot520
13 posters

Go down

Treadmills- If you have one, please respond. Empty Treadmills- If you have one, please respond.

Post  dot520 Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:33 pm

I'm in the market for a new treadmill. My old one (very pedestrian) is 16 years old and being rolled out onto the porch for the Disabled American Veterans to pick up. I want something I can actually run on with a few bells and whistles. My budget is a bit strapped, but I'd be willing to go up to 2k...max.

If you have one I'd love to know which one and if you'd recommend it or not.

I don't care if like to run on treadmills or not, that's not the discussion. I need a treadmill and I respect your opinions. I've checked www.treadmilldoctor.com for their reviews too, but sometimes it takes a runner to really know what's up.

Thanks in advance.
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Treadmills- If you have one, please respond. Empty Re: Treadmills- If you have one, please respond.

Post  Jack_Scaff Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:40 pm

We bought a Pace Master Silver...MSRP is higher, but I am pretty sure I got it on sale for less than 2k.

Bought it based on TM DOctor as well. We are generally happy with it.

http://www.pacemaster.com/models.cfm?model=silver
Jack_Scaff
Jack_Scaff
Poster
Poster

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Concord&st

Back to top Go down

Treadmills- If you have one, please respond. Empty Re: Treadmills- If you have one, please respond.

Post  Mark B Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:54 pm

We picked up a NordicTrak C1500 a few years ago at Costco. It wasn't horribly expensive, and it's performed well when the weather was too crappy to run outside (though it has tried to kill me at least once).

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Mitchell Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:22 pm

Pacemaster Silver. I love it. Got it for 2k. I will use it for 7 miles tonight. Smile
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.letsrun.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:29 pm

Mark B wrote:We picked up a NordicTrak C1500 a few years ago at Costco. It wasn't horribly expensive, and it's performed well when the weather was too crappy to run outside (though it has tried to kill me at least once).

Same here. Though mine has been nice to me.
Bob
Bob
Lord Bobby
Lord Bobby

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:14 pm

Dot, I am looking at the Sole F85 or Nordictrack Elite Pro 9500. Check those two out. I'm definitely going to buy one of them.
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Liz R Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:01 pm

Whatever the LifeCycle brand is. It has been fine, but hard on my hips. It was a gift. I know my husband meant well, but the guy who told him about it said, "it is durable, but hard on hips...." The display panel is big, which is good for my old eyes and clumsy fingers, but would be hard for a shorter runner to see over.

Check Consumer Reports for the latest tm reviews.

Liz R
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:29 pm

I'm going to recommend a Precor commerical treadmill which is what I have. Something in the 9-series. To keep it under $2k, you will probably buy a refurbished one which means it was used in a health club and then retired but rebuilt for you with a new motor and deck.

Pros:

DOWNHILL grade. A must if you are going to do serious Boston prep on it.

Larger running surface than the home models I've seen people use

Sturdy sturdy sturdy. This is not one of those home fold up things you bounce around. It simply does not move.

Very powerful motor. It is used to be used for 10 hours a day so it can more than handle whatever running you throw at it. No chance of it slipping or catching or burning out.

Quiet. These are very common in health clubs so you can go check them out. Don't make much noise even at high speeds.

Cons:

HUGE. The footprint it covers is massive. You need a big spot for it.

It needs its own electrical outlet AND the electrical plug is a commercial (like a dryer) instead of a regular outlet. It will cost another couple of hundred for the electrician.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ssilvert Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:27 am

Chris M wrote:I'm going to recommend a Precor commerical treadmill which is what I have. Something in the 9-series. To keep it under $2k, you will probably buy a refurbished one which means it was used in a health club and then retired but rebuilt for you with a new motor and deck.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure a brand new motor and deck for a Precor commercial treadmill will run more than 2K. Replacing those parts means you've replaced everything but the frame, display panel, and circuit board.

I think you'll have trouble getting a mill that lasts for several years under heavy use for less than 5K. I had one of those 2K mills and used it 5-6 hours a week. It didn't even last three years. The repair guy told me that this was typical. And, it was going to cost more to repair than to replace. Luckily, and against my usual practice, I had bought an extended warranty. The warranty company refunded my entire purchase price including tax.

After that I bought a floor-model True Treadmill for 5K. I didn't need an extended warranty because it came with a 10 year parts and labor warranty. I think it must have been treated badly on the show floor because the motor broke after one year. But, the company replaced it for free and I've had no trouble since.

So, one option is to buy the 2K mill and get the extended warranty. Just make sure you are buying the warranty from a solid company that won't go bust before your treadmill does.

Stan
ssilvert
ssilvert
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:28 am

Hey Dot, we have a Sole F63 that we purchased about 3 years ago. It isn't the nicest or quietest but it works well and hasn't caused us any problems. The only issue I can remember is that it shut off on me one time when I had it at 12mph in the middle of a repeat. We got it on sale at Dicks for about 1k.
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:06 am

ssilvert wrote:
Chris M wrote:I'm going to recommend a Precor commerical treadmill which is what I have. Something in the 9-series. To keep it under $2k, you will probably buy a refurbished one which means it was used in a health club and then retired but rebuilt for you with a new motor and deck.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure a brand new motor and deck for a Precor commercial treadmill will run more than 2K. Replacing those parts means you've replaced everything but the frame, display panel, and circuit board.

I think you'll have trouble getting a mill that lasts for several years under heavy use for less than 5K. I had one of those 2K mills and used it 5-6 hours a week. It didn't even last three years. The repair guy told me that this was typical. And, it was going to cost more to repair than to replace. Luckily, and against my usual practice, I had bought an extended warranty. The warranty company refunded my entire purchase price including tax.

After that I bought a floor-model True Treadmill for 5K. I didn't need an extended warranty because it came with a 10 year parts and labor warranty. I think it must have been treated badly on the show floor because the motor broke after one year. But, the company replaced it for free and I've had no trouble since.

So, one option is to buy the 2K mill and get the extended warranty. Just make sure you are buying the warranty from a solid company that won't go bust before your treadmill does.

Stan

I should have been more clear. What I'm recommending is buying a "reconditioned" commerical Precor mill. The deck and motor have already been replaced. It is not a new machine but really only the electronics and frame are old. They take them out of gyms, refurbish them, and then there are a bunch of companies that sell these reconditioned/rebuilt commercial machines. The parts that matter are new and able to withstand a pounding. If you hunt around, you'll find one for just under $2k. The major hassles are delivery (make sure they deliver it to wherever you want it to be because trust me, you are not moving this thing yourself) and the electrical issues I mentioned above. But once it is there, it should work fine for years. I'm trying to think just how long I've had mine. Maybe 18 months? No sign of wear and tear on it yet.

It sounds silly but I wanted there to be no difference between the quality of the treadmill that I used regularly at the gym and what I had at home. I worried that if I had a more flimsy one at home, I just wouldn't use it as much. Now the one I have at home is actually a little better just because it does have downhill grade and the gym ones (while newer) don't. But I had used some old fold-up ProForm treadmill before that from one of the sprorting goods stores like Dick's. Something that maybe cost $800 new. The difference between that and the commercial one I use now is night and day improvement. But I'm sure there are lots of other good options being suggested here in that $1700+ range.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  rhondda h Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:27 pm

Dot I have the NordicTrak T17. I paid only about $900 for it over 3 years ago on sale at Sears. I've abused it horribly and it has held up amazingly well and is still going strong (knock on wood). I probably averaged 40 or so miles a week on it including runs up to 4 hours, put car ramps under it to simulate downhills and ran fast speeds while constantly changing the incline up down, ran a dropped granola bar through its motor and belt and have spilled gatorade on the display. My 6 ft tall heavier daughter runs really fast on it and its very stable for her. Well worth the money. I have never used the ifit option that it came with but would buy the same model if needed. You'll have $1100 bucks for new shoes!! Very Happy

Edit: reading Chris' reply I would add that it runs on regular household current without blowing circuits etc.
rhondda h
rhondda h

Back to top Go down

Post  ssilvert Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:58 pm

I'm jealous. It sounds like everyone has had a better experience then I. If you can find a Precor like Chris' for 2K then I'd say get it. Sounds like an awesome deal, especially the downhill thing.

Stan
ssilvert
ssilvert
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:20 am

Thanks so much for your input. I probably should have mentioned that I'm a bit limited on the footprint for this treadmill. A total footprint length of 81" is all that I can handle unless I want to move my stationary bike to a different location, but I really don't want to.

I've looked at the Nordic Trak 1750 (if you're gonna use the ifit live, it makes a bit more sense over the 1500 which you then have to buy accessories to use it and it costs the same) because it has the largest motor and rollers that I can afford and it's received some very good reviews from sources like treadmill doctor and others. Gene will be starting to use it, so I want something fairly sturdy or he won't use it.

Both the 1500 and the 1750 are on sale until Thursday with free shipping to inside your front door. ($1299,$1499).

I'll check out the one that you mention, Rhondda, as well.
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  ssilvert Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:16 am

dot520 wrote:Thanks so much for your input. I probably should have mentioned that I'm a bit limited on the footprint for this treadmill. A total footprint length of 81" is all that I can handle unless I want to move my stationary bike to a different location, but I really don't want to.
That's one thing I love about my True Z5. Its footprint is only 68"L x 28" W. And it has a solid steel frame so it doesn't bounce around and shake the house.

http://www.truefitness.com/products/residential-home-fitness-equipment/treadmills/53/z50-treadmill

Stan
ssilvert
ssilvert
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:53 am

I purchased one of the PS series TRUE treadmills about 18 months ago & love it. It was about $2K. I needed something much more substantial after "running" my $500 "day after Thanksgiving special" into the ground. (I literally smoked the thing - the burnt smell took a while to get out of my basement.) I've done 18+ mile long runs on the TRUE, as well as 10+ mph speedwork with no issues. It goes to 12% incline for hill workouts too.
Dave P
Dave P
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:27 am

Mark B wrote:We picked up a NordicTrak C1500 a few years ago at Costco. It wasn't horribly expensive, and it's performed well when the weather was too crappy to run outside (though it has tried to kill me at least once).

My treadmill has had it and I'm now looking. I'm thinking of the C1500. Does this have a regular 3-pronged electrical or does it need a special outlet? Thanks.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:44 pm

Alex, I ended up getting the C1750 and it has a regular 3 prong. I would guess that the C1500 would be similar.
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down