365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Autolap

+11
mul21
fostever
GregC
ssilvert
Tim C
Michele "1L" Keane
Kenny B.
T Miller
Chris M
Jerry
Mike MacLellan
15 posters

Go down

Autolap?

Autolap Vote_lcap88%Autolap Vote_rcap 88% 
[ 35 ]
Autolap Vote_lcap0%Autolap Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
Autolap Vote_lcap12%Autolap Vote_rcap 12% 
[ 5 ]

Total Votes : 40

Autolap Empty Autolap

Post  Mike MacLellan Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:48 am

Vote up top, discuss pros and cons here. Or anything, really. I'm just curious to see what percentage of us use it.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Autolap Empty Re: Autolap

Post  Jerry Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:24 am

Every mile. Long enough, as I used to use KM. lol!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:52 am

Yup, have it on for every mile but I turn it off for workouts at the track and just use the stopwatch. I don't like the GPS or Autolap at the track although I do leave the GPS on for just a rough estimate of pace.

For autolap, I have it beep but I do not have it do the vibrate feature that the 610 added. For the vast majority of my runs, I simply don't look at my mile splits until post-run, if then. In general, I'm not a big Garmin watcher, typically looking less than once a mile unless there's a very speicifc pace workout I'm doing. But I do like having the recorded data broken up into nice 1 mile chunks via auto lap.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:05 am

In training I always have my autolap set to go off every mile. I even leave it on auto lap at the track if my repeats are shorter than a mile because I can just hit the lap button at the end of the repeat without the autolap interfering.
In small 5k races that do not have mile markers I like to set my autolap to .5 miles so that I get more feedback and have more opportunity to adjust my effort level. In large marathons with mile markers I turn off the autolap and manually hit the lap button at each mile marker.
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:45 am

Interesting insights. I'm curious as to who else clicked "No: fuck that." If I had to venture a guess, it'd be Mark... Which makes me think there might be somewhat of a schism between "trail runners" and "road runners."
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:51 am

Auto lap unless it is a specific speed session then it is programed accordingly. For races I shut it off and hit the lap each mile. I think road runners are more anal about this then trail blazers. I think? scratch
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:13 am

I use the feature on my daily runs, especially the longer ones as I want to make sure my guestimate of the distance is/was correct. As for speed or track workouts, I use a regular watch and not my Garmin at all.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim C Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:45 pm

I use the autolap an all runs. I run a bunch of the same roads / trails so I know exactly when that thing is going to beep at me.

As others do, I turn it off for races and manually hit the lap button. Just don't do what I did at my first marathon: I hit the start / stop button at mile 1 by accident. Hit mile 2 and went to hit the lap button and saw the watch was still reading 9:00. Oops. Had to do math the rest of the way...
Tim C
Tim C
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  ssilvert Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:58 pm

For the last several years, I've trained based on time rather than distance. My Garmin still dutifully tracks distance and I still record the distance from treadmill workouts. But it's not as important to me as time and effort.

I'm not sure I understand why anyone uses this. I don't want something to beep at me every mile. What's the point?

In a race, I hit the splits button at the mile marker. I want to know how long each mile in the race took. So if I did a poor job of cutting the tangents then I can fix it next year. That would be harder to determine if my watch recorded a split before the mile marker.

Stan
ssilvert
ssilvert
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:12 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:Interesting insights. I'm curious as to who else clicked "No: fuck that." If I had to venture a guess, it'd be Mark... Which makes me think there might be somewhat of a schism between "trail runners" and "road runners."

Not me. I am a serious runner. lol!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  GregC Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:28 pm

I clicked No. If I want to run on a treadmill where I am getting constant feedback on every pace shift that I do, I'll run on a treadmill. I hate treadmills. The reason I love running is to be outside and just run. That's not to say that I don't have a goal pace that I plan on hitting on pretty much every run that I do. I certainly do and usually check my watch 3 or 4 times during each run to make sure I'm on that pace. However, if I autolap on, I tend to over-obsess about every split on every mile and it makes my runs much less enjoyable.

Plus, I like to do the math in my head. Gives me something to do on those twenty milers...
GregC
GregC
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:36 pm

GregC wrote:I clicked No. If I want to run on a treadmill where I am getting constant feedback on every pace shift that I do, I'll run on a treadmill. I hate treadmills. The reason I love running is to be outside and just run. That's not to say that I don't have a goal pace that I plan on hitting on pretty much every run that I do. I certainly do and usually check my watch 3 or 4 times during each run to make sure I'm on that pace. However, if I autolap on, I tend to over-obsess about every split on every mile and it makes my runs much less enjoyable.

Plus, I like to do the math in my head. Gives me something to do on those twenty milers...

This is exactly why I turned mine off, too. Turned every run into a race and I would panic if my first few miles were "too slow."
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:34 pm

Don't know what it is cause I haven't decided to garmin yet. I'm thinking of striping all gadgits for the upcoming marathon since they have pace groups and split clocks galor. Who needs it! This whole electronically anal running fad get's annoying anyway so...my answer NO, Fudge that, My mommy won't let me write that other word.No
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:47 pm

I have a goal pace in mind for most runs, but I don't obsess over it by any means. I like to hit my paces on long runs in particular, but for recovery runs, who cares as long as the miles get done. I like knowing that my effort level is consistent with the pace I'm running. On a 10 miler earlier this week, the first half felt like a lot more effort that it should have and the second half I was cruising at what felt like a pretty relaxed pace even though it was ~10 seconds a mile faster than the 1st half. I just like to know where I'm at, whether I'm analyzing during or after the run.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:09 pm

mul21 wrote:I have a goal pace in mind for most runs, but I don't obsess over it by any means.

lol! lol! lol!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Pete B Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:24 am

Mike MacLellan wrote:
GregC wrote:I clicked No. If I want to run on a treadmill where I am getting constant feedback on every pace shift that I do, I'll run on a treadmill. I hate treadmills. The reason I love running is to be outside and just run. That's not to say that I don't have a goal pace that I plan on hitting on pretty much every run that I do. I certainly do and usually check my watch 3 or 4 times during each run to make sure I'm on that pace. However, if I autolap on, I tend to over-obsess about every split on every mile and it makes my runs much less enjoyable.

This is exactly why I turned mine off, too. Turned every run into a race and I would panic if my first few miles were "too slow."

I like to know what my pace is as I run, as well as the distance traveled. My main Garmin screen shows instantaneous pace (highly inaccurate), average pace this interval (one mile auto-lap), average pace this run, and distance traveled.

I too will become obsessed with hitting my desired pace if I feel I am not putting out the appropriate effort. I have also found that on occasion I will be running far better that anticipated and will turn what started out as a moderate to long run at an easy pace into an LT, threshold, or long interval run banging out miles at a much higher pace than anticipated.

I also wonder if being overly obsessed with where I am pace-wise actually causes me to have less than optimal runs, as sometimes, when I am doing urban runs around downtown Chicago and I have no satellite reception, I find after comparing the distance run (mapmyride.com) with my duration of run from the garmin that I actually have some of my best runs pace-wise, effort-wise, and satisfaction-wise.
Pete B
Pete B
Poster
Poster

http://www.ahouseinthewoods.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:58 am

I clicked every mile, with the caveat that I hardly ever wear my Garmin anymore. Very Happy
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:46 pm

Jerry wrote:
Mike MacLellan wrote:Interesting insights. I'm curious as to who else clicked "No: fuck that." If I had to venture a guess, it'd be Mark... Which makes me think there might be somewhat of a schism between "trail runners" and "road runners."

Not me. I am a serious runner. lol!

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:48 pm

I am an every mile guy...Just set it and go. I do not use auto lap for sprints/repeats...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:51 pm

lol!

No, Mike. I didn't click that option. (Though I have to admit, I might have considered it... Wink )

When I do wear my Garmin, I have it set for auto-lap. When I wore it regularly, I only turned the auto lap off during races, because it would drive me CrAzY when the device went out of sync with the mile markers, which was pretty much all the time.

Trail runners often eschew the measurement because the terrain often makes splits (instant or per mile) fairly useless, and the tree cover and switchbacks messes with the GPS track. It's not all about casting off bourgeois conventions of existential angst. scratch
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim M Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:17 pm

Like the others, I turn it off during races. I tend to only look at mile splits with running lots of hills so I can see how the hills impacted the workout.
Tim M
Tim M
Poster
Poster

http://runhappyrunmore.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:30 pm

...Maybe I'm the only one who keeps it on during (road) races. Fuck those mile-markers; they've never been accurate for me yet. I'll take the Garmin splits.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:43 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:...Maybe I'm the only one who keeps it on during (road) races. Fuck those mile-markers; they've never been accurate for me yet. I'll take the Garmin splits.

I leave mine on during races. It gets kinda funky and I have to readjust the laps when running Chicago (tall buildings), but I still use the function.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:46 am

Nick Morris wrote:
Mike MacLellan wrote:...Maybe I'm the only one who keeps it on during (road) races. Fuck those mile-markers; they've never been accurate for me yet. I'll take the Garmin splits.

I leave mine on during races. It gets kinda funky and I have to readjust the laps when running Chicago (tall buildings), but I still use the function.

Me3. I don't care its accuracy and look at pace primarily.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum